Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Decision taken under delegation by virtue of:
Scheme of Delegation Part 3 – Specific Delegation to Officers EAI16
The purpose of this paper is to provide an update on the programme and delivery of the Surrey-led Highway and Transport EM3 Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) funded Guildford Quality Bus Corridor (QBC) major project and the Town Centre Transport Package (TCTP). Online report: Item 9 https://mycouncil.surreycc.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=751&MId=7103&Ver=4
It was AGREED that the:
1. Area Highway Manager and Transport Strategy Project Manager be authorised, in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures including the relevant advertisement of notices and traffic regulation orders (for the specific sites that require it), to deliver the Bus Stop Civil works to provide accessibility improvements around Guildford.
2. Updates provided for the Surrey County Council (SCC)-led Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) funded Quality Bus Corridor (QBC), the Town Centre Transport Package (TCTP) and the Guildford Local Transport Strategy (LTS) be noted.
Reasons for Decision:
The purpose of this report is to provide sufficient information to enable the Joint Committee to agree the advertisement of the necessary statutory traffic regulation orders, notices and notifications which are required to deliver the Quality Bus Corridor pinch-point and bus stop improvement accessibility schemes. This will enable the progression of the major transport scheme works as per the business case that was approved and funded by the EM3 Local Enterprise Partnership. The Local Growth Funding (LGF) is time-limited until 31st March 2021. Any delays to approvals, processes and scheme deliverables may mean the agreed outputs cannot be funded or delivered as part of the QBC project. Updates are provided on the Town Centre Transport Package (TCTP) and Guildford Local Transport Strategy, and members were briefed at the recent Infrastructure Delivery Transport Working Group.
Decision taken by: Richard Bolton / Stacey Capewell
Decision taken on: 2 April 2020
To be implemented on: 7 April 2020
Alternative options considered
Delegated authority was requested for the associated statutory advertisement of the traffic regulation orders and notices for the pinch-point schemes along Epsom Road and the Bus Stop Improvements as noted in the report. This was to progress the QBC Project within the time funding limit.
Officers will revert to the Chairman, Vice Chairman and Divisional Member, or indeed the Committee as appropriate, whenever preferred options need to be identified if further authorisation is required. The Chairman, Vice Chairman and Divisional Member will be kept updated on the relevant consultations if and when delegated decisions are required.
The Unlocking Guildford package has been agreed with the EM3 LEP and by Joint Committee; the funding has been set aside for the schemes and project elements as explained above and funding is available until March 2021.
Summary of any financial implications
The schemes within the Guildford QBC Project are fully funded as per the business case submitted to the EM3 LEP and form part of an agreed capital programme. Non-delivery of any scheme within the agreed Projects/work streams would create a risk that the LEP may ask the council to refund any revenue costs to date spent on developing said scheme.
Declarations of conflicts of interest
• The QBC project was included in the public consultation which encompassed five of the six Unlocking Guildford Projects (excluding the Sustainable Movement Corridor) which ran from 22nd January 2018 to 4th March 2018 and included public exhibitions.
• The business case for the QBC project was submitted to the LEP in April 2018 and funding was approved September 2018.
• Engagement on the implementation of Traffic Regulation Orders and Notices for various aspects will take place as per the council’s statutory requirements.
Committee Report and Annexes A-J
Publication date: 12/05/2020
Date of decision: 18/03/2020
Decided at meeting: 18/03/2020 - Guildford Joint Committee