Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
1. That the update on Surrey’s Digital Infrastructure strategy, the external drivers and different investments and influences be noted.
2. That the steps being taken to accelerate delivery of certain key and relevant ‘enabling’ projects and to identify associated resourcing options be noted.
3. That an update be brought to Cabinet in the Autumn to include:
· Assessment of Building Digital UK (BDUK) plans, aligned to commercial rollout
· Update on delivery against the Digital Infrastructure strategy programme plan ‘immediate actions’
· Identification of gaps (geographical and funding) and possible measures to address them
Reason for decision:
Achieving the Council’s objectives around digital deployment and connectivity is critical to the well-being and prosperity of Surrey’s residents and businesses. A digitally connected Surrey will ensure that our residents and businesses can benefit from new and emerging technology enablers, i.e. virtual and augmented reality (VR & AR) which will drive the next generation of innovation at home and in the workplace; for example, autonomous electric vehicles and transport, hyper-automation, drone delivery services and digital healthcare provision. Delivering these benefits for Council service outcomes requires a step change in digital capability and connectivity. Surrey’s economic growth also requires a hyper-connected environment to facilitate its innovation eco-system.
[The decisions on this item can be called in by the Resources & Performance Select Committee]
Publication date: 27/04/2021
Date of decision: 27/04/2021
Decided at meeting: 27/04/2021 - Cabinet