Agenda and minutes

Council
Tuesday, 6 December 2016 10.00 am

Venue: Council Chamber, County Hall, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey KT1 2DN. View directions

Contact: Angela Guest  020 8541 9075

Webcast: View the webcast

Items
No. Item

70/16

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

71/16

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 240 KB

    To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 11 October 2016.

     

    (Note: the Minutes, including the appendices, will be laid on the table half an hour before the start of the meeting).

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The minutes of the meeting of the County Council held on 11 October 2016 were submitted, confirmed and signed.

72/16

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

    The Chairman to report.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Chairman made the following announcements:

     

    She reminded Members to complete the Members’ Allowances IRP questionnaire.

     

    Recent events that were mentioned:

     

    • She had attended the Buckingham Palace for the presentation of the Gold award in the Military Employer Recognition Scheme, in national recognition of Surrey County Council’s commitment to the Armed Forces.  It was available to view.
    • An Orbis Award had been awarded to the Programme Team for Culture and was presented to the Deputy Chief Executive.  The award was in recognition for outstanding organisation culture.
    • A fascinating visit to Surrey Satellite Tech Ltd with Princess Anne & Lord-Lieutenant on 22 November.  They make 40% of all satellites in the world.
    • The official opening of Salfords Fire Station on 18 November.
    • The official openings of two youth centres – Redhill Youth Centre on 14 November and Phoenix Youth Club at Tadworth on 24 November.
    • She had attended a fundraising dinner at Loseley for hospices which had raised £23k to be divided between the five hospices in Surrey.
    • Congratulations were given to the successful Cow Parade and thanks given to Mr Goodman for taking the idea forward.

     

73/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest

    ·         As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

    ·         Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Mr Mike Bennison declared a non-pecuniary interest in that his son worked at Heathrow.

    Mrs Dorothy Ross-Tomlin declared a non-prejudicial interest in that she received a pension from BAA Heathrow.

74/16

LEADER'S STATEMENT pdf icon PDF 166 KB

    The Leader to make a statement.

     

    There will be an opportunity for Members to ask questions.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Leader made a detailed statement. A copy of the statement is attached as Appendix A.

     

    Members raised the following topics:

    ·         There was much support for the sentiments and recognition that it was down to all Members to write MPs. 

    ·         The London Borough of Sutton was to become Oxfam’s landlord following investment and the question was asked why Surrey could not invest outside of the County.

    ·         A question was put as to how much development was unsustainable due to roads and traffic being beyond capacity.

75/16

MEMBERS' QUESTION TIME pdf icon PDF 243 KB

    1.    The Leader of the Council or the appropriate Member of the Cabinet or the Chairman of a Committee to answer any questions on any matter relating to the powers and duties of the County Council, or which affects the county.

     

    (Note:  Notice of questions in respect of the above item on the agenda must be given in writing, preferably by e-mail, to Angela Guest in Democratic Services by 12 noon on Wednesday 30 November 2016).

     

    2.    Cabinet Member Briefings on their portfolios

     

    These will be circulated by email to all Members prior to the County Council meeting, together with the Members’ questions and responses.

     

    There will be an opportunity for Members to ask questions.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of interest:

     

    None

     

    Questions:

     

    Notice of 22 questions had been received. The questions and replies are attached as Appendix B.

     

    A number of supplementary questions were asked and a summary of the main points is set out below:

     

    (Q1) Mr Robert Evans stated that residents were horrified that the busiest fire station in Surrey was to be closed, that the number of incidents had risen and in the last consultation 92% of residents were opposed to the closure.  Mr Ian Beardsmore asked what would happen if the bridge was gridlocked?  The Cabinet Member stated that there were very difficult decisions to be made, that the fire service was changing year on year, and that only 20% of the total number of calls to the service related to fires.  He also pointed out that North West Surrey had four stations in close proximity with another four nearby.

     

    (Q3) Mrs Carol Coleman requested that the Cabinet Member look into staffing at the centre for dementia, stating that staff/client ratio was 2/10 and this was a safequarding issue.  The Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care, Wellbeing and Independence replied that he would meet with Mrs Coleman to discuss her concerns.

     

    (Q5) Mr Stephen Cooksey stated that the definition of DIY waste was not included in the response and that residents needed to know precisely what was meant by DIY waste.  The Cabinet Member replied that extensive messages had been sent out regarding DIY waste.  He also stated that the Council actions were within the law and other local authorities were following suit.

     

    (Q6) Mrs Hazel Watson asked if actions could be taken sooner to which the Cabinet Member response was that it was not possible.

     

    (Q8) Mr Ian Beardsmore stated that the response to his question gave no thought on forms of government and that the more liability the Council takes on, the less the budget the Council received.  The Leader directed Mr Beardsmore to the section of his response which stated that decisions on governance could only be made when the details of any deal was known.

     

    (Q10) Mrs Fiona White stated that pharmacies in less advantaged areas may be at risk of closure and residents needed good access.  Mr Keith Witham requested to be kept informed of any updates and asked the Director for Public Health to report to the Social Care Services Board.  The Cabinet Member stated that she would ensure information was circulated when she received it and that the issue would be raised at the Wellbeing Board.

     

    (Q12) Mr Jonathan Evans stated that, whilst money for community support had increased, the money for individuals had reduced and he was of the belief that community support funding was to boost that for the individual.  The Cabinet Member stated that the Council now had to rely more on voluntary organisations to perform some functions.

     

    (Q14) Mr Stephen Cooksey asked if Skanska were interested in making replacements of the street lights.  The Cabinet Member stated that safety was paramount for  ...  view the full minutes text for item 75/16

76/16

STATEMENTS BY MEMBERS

    Any Member may make a statement at the meeting on a local issue of current or future concern.

     

    (Note:  Notice of statements must be given in writing, preferably by e-mail, to Angela Guest in Democratic Services by 12 noon on Monday 5 December 2016).

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    There was one local Member statement, from Mr Michael Sydney, concerning future housing development on green belt land.

77/16

ORIGINAL MOTIONS

    ITEM 8 (i)

     

    Mr Mike Goodman (Surrey Heath) to move under Standing Order 11 as follows:

     

    Given the decision by the Government to support a new runway at Heathrow, this Council reaffirms its position on airport expansion set out in the resolution agreed in July 2013.  

     

    The Council recognises the crucial role of the airports at Heathrow and Gatwick in supporting employment for Surrey residents, generating investment in the Surrey economy and in attracting and retaining major businesses to locate in the county.

    This Council remains strongly of the view that expansion requires the environmental and surface access issues involved to be satisfactorily addressed.

     

    This Council wishes to work constructively with the Government, the airport, relevant national agencies, other local authorities and Local Enterprise Partnerships on the expansion plans in order to protect and promote the interests of Surrey residents and businesses.

     

    However, this Council considers that the proposals and commitments, including on surface access, that have so far been made by the airport and by the Government associated with the preferred approach to expansion at Heathrow are inadequate. In particular they give neither confidence that the necessary measures will be prioritised nor that adequate funding will be committed.

     

    This Council considers that any expansion will only be a success for Surrey residents and businesses and for the wider South East if there is a clear and agreed framework for the necessary infrastructure, including southern rail access, and other measures to be in place before any new runway comes into operation.

     

    This Council calls on the Government to take the lead in developing such a framework.

     

    ITEM 8 (ii)

     

    Mr Ian Beardsmore (Spelthorne) to move under Standing Order 11 as follows:

     

    The Council notes the difficulties in recruiting and retaining skilled staff to work for the County Council, the high cost of agency staff and that the situation is becoming critical as the council’s financial position worsens.

    This Council has previously agreed that more emphasis should be given to key worker housing as one approach to dealing with this problem.

    The Council now agrees to support a new investment strategy that sees increased emphasis on acquiring key worker housing for Surrey, to help recruit and retain more skilled staff whilst reducing agency spend.

     

    ITEM 8(iii)

     

    Mr Robert Evans (Spelthorne) to move under Standing Order 11 as follows:

     

    This Council congratulates the many teachers, support staff, parents, governors and children who have enabled the vast majority of Surrey’s schools to be judged, by Ofsted, as ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’. Council is very proud that Surrey has so many excellent schools at every phase of education.

     

    Surrey County Council takes great pride that as an education authority, it has for many years, been at the forefront of innovative, progressive education and setting high standards in schools.

     

    There have been many changes in the format of schools in recent years, with for example, academies and free schools being created. Council therefore believes that a period of stability would be beneficial and  ...  view the full agenda text for item 77/16

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Item 8(i):

     

    Under Standing Order 12.3 the Council agreed to debate this motion.

     

    Under Standing Order 12.1, Mr Mike Goodman moved the motion, which was:

     

    ‘Given the decision by the Government to support a new runway at Heathrow, this Council reaffirms its position on airport expansion set out in the resolution agreed in July 2013.

      

    The Council recognises the crucial role of the airports at Heathrow and Gatwick in supporting employment for Surrey residents, generating investment in the Surrey economy and in attracting and retaining major businesses to locate in the county.

     

    This Council remains strongly of the view that expansion requires the environmental and surface access issues involved to be satisfactorily addressed.

     

    This Council wishes to work constructively with the Government, the airport, relevant national agencies, other local authorities and Local Enterprise Partnerships on the expansion plans in order to protect and promote the interests of Surrey residents and businesses.

     

    However, this Council considers that the proposals and commitments, including on surface access, that have so far been made by the airport and by the Government associated with the preferred approach to expansion at Heathrow are inadequate. In particular they give neither confidence that the necessary measures will be prioritised nor that adequate funding will be committed.

     

    This Council considers that any expansion will only be a success for Surrey residents and businesses and for the wider South East if there is a clear and agreed framework for the necessary infrastructure, including southern rail access, and other measures to be in place before any new runway comes into operation.

     

    This Council calls on the Government to take the lead in developing such a framework.’

     

    The motion was formally seconded by Mr Martin.

     

    Mr Goodman said that:

     

    • The future expansion of airports would benefit Surrey’s economy.
    • Service access to Heathrow was not good from Surrey. Only 4% travelled by rail and the majority by road, which was unsustainable.
    • The Leader had written to and awaited a meeting with Chris Grayling MP.
    • There was a need to ensure good connectivity with Surrey and reduce emissions around the airport site.
    • He had spoken with Lord Ahmad about night flights and residents’ need for respite.

     

    Mr Essex moved an amendment, which was tabled at the meeting. 

     

    This was formally seconded by Mr Robert Evans.

     

    The amendment was as follows (with additional words underlined and deletions crossed through):

     

    ‘Given the decision by the Government to support a new runway at Heathrow, this Council reaffirms its position on airport expansion set out in the resolution agreed in July 2013.

     

    The Council recognises thecrucial role of the airports at Heathrow and Gatwick in supporting employment for Surrey residents, generating investment in the Surrey economy and in attracting and retaining major businesses to locate in the county.

     

    This Council remains strongly of the view that expansion requires theclimate change, noise, air pollution and environmental andsurface access issues, as well as housing needs to all involved to be satisfactorily addressed.

     

    This Council wishes  ...  view the full minutes text for item 77/16

78/16

REPORT OF THE CABINET pdf icon PDF 122 KB

79/16

PAY POLICY STATEMENT pdf icon PDF 98 KB

    To comply with Section 38(1) of the Localism Act 2011 and related guidance under Section 40 provided by the Secretary of State, all local authorities are required to publish a Pay Policy Statement, approved through decision by Full Council with effective from 1 April each year.  The Statement will be tabled at the meeting.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Leader presented this report and stated that members, officers and trade unions had worked closely together to get this Statement more focussed on awarding high performance and gave more flexibility for staff and modernised work practices.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    That the Pay Policy Statement for 2016 – 2017 be agreed.

     

80/16

RECRUITMENT OF INDEPENDENT PERSON pdf icon PDF 120 KB

81/16

CONSTITUTION UPDATE REPORT pdf icon PDF 106 KB

82/16

Minutes of Cabinet Meetings pdf icon PDF 324 KB