Agenda and draft minutes

Council
Tuesday, 11 July 2017 10.00 am

Venue: Council Chamber, County Hall, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey KT1 2DN

Contact: Anne Gowing  020 8541 9938

Webcast: View the webcast

Items
No. Item

43/17

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

44/17

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 233 KB

    To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 23 May 2017.

     

    (Note: the Minutes, including the appendices, will be laid on the table half an hour before the start of the meeting).

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The minutes of the meeting of the County Council held on 23 May 2017 were

    submitted, confirmed and signed.

45/17

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS pdf icon PDF 57 KB

    The Chairman to report.

     

    A list of Her Majesty the Queen’s Birthday Honour’s List 2017, the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service and the Queen’s Award for Enterprise is included within the agenda papers. 

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Chairman made the following announcements:

     

    ·                Her Majesty the Queen’s Birthday Honours’ List, the Queen’s Award for Enterprise and the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service were set out in the agenda.

    ·                Since becoming Chairman of Surrey County Council he had attended nearly 40 appointments, including five civic services throughout the county and also two royal visits.

    ·                HRH The Princess Royal visited both the Queen Mary’s Sailing Club in Ashford to celebrate 20 years of Sailability, and the prize day of the Royal School in Haslemere, where she was a patron.

    ·                The month ahead would see further royal visits.

    ·                The flag raising ceremony for Armed Forces Day was held at County Hall last month. It was well attended by officers and also by Deputy Lieutenant Martin Gerrard, numerous members of the Royal British Legion, including a 98 year old veteran, as well as military personnel.

    ·                Sadly, we have had three recent acts of remembrance for the victims of the recent terrorism atrocities.

    ·                Along with the Community Partnerships’ team, he had hosted a reception for Surrey’s Reservists at Guildford Fire Station, as a thank you for the tremendous work that they do to protect our country.

    ·                That Surrey Fire and Rescue had assisted at the terrible Grenfell Tower fire and supplied the aerial platform ladder.

    ·                That following representations from some Members, and in consultation with Group Leaders, item 11, the Amendments to the Constitution – Articles, will be withdrawn and the Vice-Chairman would meet with Group Leaders over the summer, with a view to bringing it back to Council for decision in October.

    ·                Finally, he informed Members that Anne Gowing, from Democratic Services would be retiring in August and this was her last meeting.

46/17

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter:

     

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

     

    NOTES:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

    ·         Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    There were none.

47/17

LEADER'S STATEMENT pdf icon PDF 265 KB

    The Leader to make a statement.

     

    There will be an opportunity for Members to ask questions.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Leader made a detailed statement. A copy of the statement is attached as

    Appendix A.

     

    Members raised the following topics:

     

    ·         Whether the Green Belt would be protected in future housing strategy plans.

    ·         Whether there was a timescale from Government, in relation to progressing fairer funding for Surrey.

    ·         The new joint waste contract – there were issues, particularly in Elmbridge, which it was hoped would soon be resolved.

48/17

MEMBERS' QUESTION TIME pdf icon PDF 487 KB

    1.    The Leader of the Council or the appropriate Member of the Cabinet or the Chairman of a Committee to answer any questions on any matter relating to the powers and duties of the County Council, or which affects the county.

     

    (Note:  Notice of questions in respect of the above item on the agenda must be given in writing, preferably by e-mail, to Anne Gowing in Democratic Services by 12 noon on Wednesday 5 July 2017).

     

    2.    Cabinet Member Briefings on their portfolios

     

    These will be circulated by email to all Members prior to the County Council meeting, together with the Members’ questions and responses.

     

    There will be an opportunity for Members to ask questions.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Notice of 22 questions had been received. The questions and replies were published as a supplementary agenda on 10 July 2017.

     

    A number of supplementary questions were asked and a summary of the main

    points is set out below:

     

    (Q2) Mr Robert Evans asked the Leader of the Council if he would release the content of the letter that he had written to the Chancellor. The Leader agreed to the request and also informed Members that he was still waiting for a response.

     

    (Q3) Dr Povey did not consider that his question had been answered and asked what was the relative cost of a ton of recycling if the waste was put into wheelie bins or fly-tipped? The Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport agreed to provide the details outside the meeting. He also informed Members that there had been many changes to recycling in Waverley and reported that there had been a 40% reduction in fly-tipping incidents in that District.

     

    Mr Essex raised both the issue of distance for residents to travel to recycling centres if four centres were closed and also that, as a result of the increased distances, recycling targets could decrease, which could result in financial loss to the Council. The Cabinet Member said that the proposals on the future of the Community Recycling Centres (CRCs) were still out for consultation. However, he informed Members that if the proposed closure of four CRCs went ahead, 95% of Surrey residents would still have a CRC within six miles of their home.

     

    (Q5) Mrs Watson asked the Leader of the Council if he would be ‘third time lucky’ in his lobbying of Government for fairer funding for Surrey. The Leader considered that her supplementary question did not relate to her original question.

     

    (Q7) Mr Forster said that the Woking Local Plan relied on local rail capacity and he was concerned that there was a lack of clarity from Government on their commitment to Crossrail 2 because there had not been any reference to it in the recent HM Queen’s speech.

     

    Mrs Muir, divisional Member for Epsom West, agreed that clarity on Crossrail 2 was also needed for her residents.

     

    The Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport agreed that Crossrail 2 was desperately needed in Surrey to help alleviate overcrowded trains. He informed Council that he had written to Government asking whether Crossrail 2 would go ahead.

     

    (Q8) Mr Botten asked if the Cabinet Members would agree that nearly 50% of the families who use the Beeches have yet to find alternative provision. The Cabinet Member for Children responded by stating that the Council had communicated extensively with the families over a long period of time, and that the social care team were working with those affected families to find the best solutions.

     

    Dr Grant-Duff referred to the number of SEND children benefitting from short breaks in Surrey and asked what benefits the re-commissioning of this service would have for all SEND children and young people in Surrey. The  ...  view the full minutes text for item 48/17

49/17

STATEMENTS BY MEMBERS

    Any Member may make a statement at the meeting on a local issue of current or future concern.

     

    (Note:  Notice of statements must be given in writing, preferably by e-mail, to Anne Gowing in Democratic Services by 12 noon on Monday 10 July 2017).

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Three Members made statements:

     

    (i)         Mr Eber Kington read the poem – ‘Light versus Darkness’ relating to Epsom.

    (ii)        Dr Andrew Povey in relation to the Cranleigh Community Recycling Centre.

    (iii)       Mr John O’Reilly in relation to the bus services in his division, in particular, the improved service to Whiteley Village.

50/17

ORIGINAL MOTIONS

    Item 8(i)

     

    Mr David Goodwin (Guildford South West) to move under Standing Order 11 as follows:

     

    ‘Council sends its deepest condolences to the family and friends of those killed, injured and missing in the Grenfell Tower tragedy in North Kensington.

     

    Council recognises and thanks Surrey Fire & Rescue Service for the assistance they gave to the London Fire Brigade in tackling the blaze.

     

    In view of the Grenfell Tower tragedy, this Council resolves:

     

    ·         to ensure that Surrey Fire & Rescue Service is properly funded and resourced in order for it to keep the residents of Surrey safe;

    ·         that fire safety audits are carried out in Surrey at least every 12 months on buildings with a communal entrance, including residential blocks, offices, shops and factories;

    ·         that Surrey Fire & Rescue Service has the necessary equipment to reach the tallest buildings in the County, to ensure fires at all levels of buildings can be tackled effectively;

    ·         that Surrey Fire & Rescue Service work closely with the districts and boroughs within the County to inspect housing blocks which are also at risk of a similar incident and to check any external cladding used on them and;

    ·         to endorse the Fire Brigades Union and National Union of Teachers campaign that each new school built in England should be automatically fitted with a sprinkler system.’

     

    Item 8(ii)

     

    Mr Jonathan Essex (Redhill East) to move under Standing Order 11 as follows:

     

    ‘Council regrets the proposed closure of 4 Community Recycling Centres (CRCs) in Surrey, as well as the increase in charges and reduced opening hours at other sites, which will be detrimental to the environment.

     

    Council notes that Surrey County Council previously consulted the public on closures and reduction of hours for CRCs but subsequently scaled back their plans in response to concerns raised by residents. Council further notes the high value residents place upon this service and their desire to retain and improve it.

     

    Council calls upon the Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport to work with the Boroughs and Districts and Surrey Waste Management Ltd to explore alternatives before any closure plans for CRCs are finalised, in order to maintain these vital services for Surrey residents?.’

     

     

    Item 8(iii)

     

    Mr Robert Evans (Stanwell and Stanwell Moor) to move under Standing Order 11 as follows:

     

    ‘This Council sends its heartfelt condolences to all those who have suffered losses in the Grenfell Tower fire disaster. 

    Surrey County Council vows to learn from this experience, making the safety of all  residents a top priority by ensuring that there is adequate fire  cover in each of the county's eleven boroughs and districts. 

    Council therefore agrees to review all planned cuts to fire cover including their equality impact assessment, pending the outcome of the Grenfell public enquiry and to secure additional money for fire safety from the government.’

     

     

    Item 8(iv)

     

    Mr John Furey (Addlestone) to move under Standing Order 11 as follows:

     

    ‘This Council recognises the significant and growing contribution made by the county of Surrey to  ...  view the full agenda text for item 50/17

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Item 8(i)

     

    Under Standing Order 12.3 the Council agreed to debate this motion.

    Under Standing Order 12.1 Mr Goodwin moved the motion, which was:

     

    Council sends its deepest condolences to the family and friends of those killed, injured and missing in the Grenfell Tower tragedy in North Kensington.

     

    Council recognises and thanks Surrey Fire & Rescue Service for the assistance they gave to the London Fire Brigade in tackling the blaze.

     

    In view of the Grenfell Tower tragedy, this Council resolves:

     

    ·         to ensure that Surrey Fire & Rescue Service is properly funded and resourced in order for it to keep the residents of Surrey safe;

    ·         that fire safety audits are carried out in Surrey at least every 12 months on buildings with a communal entrance, including residential blocks, offices, shops and factories;

    ·         that Surrey Fire & Rescue Service has the necessary equipment to reach the tallest buildings in the County, to ensure fires at all levels of buildings can be tackled effectively;

    ·         that Surrey Fire & Rescue Service work closely with the districts and boroughs within the County to inspect housing blocks which are also at risk of a similar incident and to check any external cladding used on them and;

    ·         to endorse the Fire Brigades Union and National Union of Teachers campaign that each new school built in England should be automatically fitted with a sprinkler system.’

     

    Mr Goodwin made the following points:

     

    ·         Paid tribute to those people who had lost their lives, their families and friends and acknowledged that support was needed to help people come to terms with the effect of the tragedy.

    ·         Paid tribute to the Emergency Services, especially the Fire & Rescue Service who ran towards the fire.

    ·         Considered that fire safety would now be higher priority for this Council.

    ·         That there was no aerial ladder high enough to reach the top floors of the tower block.

    ·         Everyone deserves to work and live in a safe environment and that changing nature of the London skyline.

    ·         The importance of sprinklers, particularly in high buildings and that he would be supporting the Fire Brigades Union for sprinklers to be fitted in new buildings.

    ·         The cladding issues were very frightening.

    ·         All Surrey buildings needed regular audits.

    ·         The importance of investing in the Surrey Fire and Rescue Service.  

    The motion was formally seconded by Mr Botten who reserved his right to speak.

     

    Mrs Turner-Stewart moved an amendment which was tabled at the meeting. This was formerly seconded by Mr Kemp.

     

    The amendment was as follows (with additional words underlined and deletions crossed through):

     

    Council sends its deepest condolences to the family and friends of those killed, injured and missing in the Grenfell Tower tragedy in North Kensington.

     

    Council recognises and thanks Surrey Fire & Rescue Service for the assistance they gave to the London Fire Brigade in tackling the blaze fire and for their support in subsequent days to provide officers, vehicles and equipment.

     

    In view of the Grenfell Tower tragedy, this Council resolves:

     

    ·         to ensure that continue to consider the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 50/17

51/17

REPORT OF THE CABINET pdf icon PDF 133 KB

    To receive the report of the meeting of the Cabinet held on 30 May and 27 June 2017.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Leader presented the report of the Cabinet meetings held on 30 May 2017 and 27 June 2017.

     

    Reports for Information / Discussion

     

    A)   Quarterly Report On Decisions Taken Under Special Urgency Arrangements: 1 April – 30 June 2017

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    That the report of the Cabinet be agreed.

     

52/17

Report of the Audit and Governance Committee pdf icon PDF 167 KB

    i.        To approve the Risk Management Strategy and Plan, for inclusion in the Constitution (Annex A to the report).

    ii.        To approve the updated Code of Corporate Governance, for inclusion in the Constitution (Annex B to the report).

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Chairman of the Audit and Governance Committee introduced the report. He said that both updated strategies had been scrutinised by his committee and commended them: the Risk Management Strategy and Plan (Annex A to the submitted report), plus the updated Code of Corporate Governance (Annex B to the submitted report) to Members. 

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    1.       That the updated Risk Management Strategy and Plan, attached as Annex A to the submitted report, be approved for inclusion in the Constitution.

     

    2.       That the updated Code of Corporate Governance, attached as Annex B to the submitted report, be approved for inclusion in the Constitution.

     

     

53/17

Amendments to the Constitution - Articles pdf icon PDF 162 KB

54/17

Minutes of the Meetings of the Cabinet pdf icon PDF 4 KB