Agenda and minutes

Council
Tuesday, 11 December 2018 10.00 am

Venue: Council Chamber, County Hall, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey KT1 2DN. View directions

Contact: Joss Butler  020 8541 9702

Webcast: View the webcast

Items
No. Item

90/18

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

91/18

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 94 KB

    To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 13 November 2018.

     

    (Note: the Minutes, including the appendices, will be laid on the table half an hour before the start of the meeting).

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The minutes of the meeting of the County Council held on 13 November 2018 were submitted, confirmed and signed.

     

    In reference to Minute 83/18 (Question 6), a Member of the Council highlighted that details of the 14 sites could not be found in any Cabinet papers.

     

92/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest

    ·         As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

    ·         Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    There were none.

93/18

ELECTION OF COUNTY COUNCILLOR

    The Chief Executive formally to report the election of a new County Councillor for the Byfleets division at the by-election held on 6 December 2018.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Chief Executive formally reported that Mrs Amanda Jayne Boote was duly elected as the new County Councillor for the Byfleets division following the by-election held on 6 December 2018.

     

94/18

REVIEW OF POLITICAL PROPORTIONALITY pdf icon PDF 71 KB

    To agree the revised scheme of proportionality.

     

    The Chairman has agreed to include this item on the agenda as a matter of urgency.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    A review of the Scheme of Political Proportionality 2018/19 was circulated to Members in the supplementary agenda on 10 December 2018.

     

    RESOLVED (with no Member voting against):

     

    That the committee sizes and scheme of proportionality, as set out in Annex 1 of the submitted report, be adopted for the remainder of the Council year 2018/19.

     

95/18

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

    Recent visits

     

    GASP AWARDS: Held at the incredible McLaren Technology Centre in Woking. GASP Chair, Sally Varah and Chief Executive Officer, Henry Curwen, welcomed supporters, friends, family members and most importantly the 18 inspirational young award winners. I presented the GASP Group Achievement Award to 5 young girls from Woking High School who took part in the Industry Linked programmes, which deliver collaboratively with Stanhope-Seta. Other awards included ‘Total Engagement’, ‘Personal Development’, ‘Perseverance’, ‘Commitment and Resilience’, ‘Enthusiasm to Learn’ and ‘Peer Mentoring’.

     

    ROYAL VISIT: Held at The Royal Alexandra and Albert School in Reigate with Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Gloucester to celebrate 260 years since the school’s founding - a very special occasion.

     

    LONG SERVICE AWARDS: This took place in the Grand Hall celebrating the dedication and hard work of many colleagues with 25 years of service to Surrey County Council and one person with 40 years of service. It was a wonderful afternoon full of celebration.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Chairman:

     

    • Thanked Members who had nominated a volunteer who they felt had made an outstanding contribution to their area. It was asked that any further nominations be submitted before the Christmas break.
    • Highlighted the Chairman’s announcements which could be found in the agenda front sheet.

     

96/18

ELECTION OF LEADER OF THE COUNCIL

    To elect a Leader of the Council, to continue in office until the day of the post-election annual meeting which follows his/her election as Leader.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Mr O’Reilly, as proposer of the motion for the election of the Leader of the Council, spoke in support of the nomination of Mr Oliver. This nomination was seconded by Mrs Lewis, who also said a few words.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    That Mr Oliver be elected Leader of the Council for a four year term, expiring on the day of the post-election annual meeting in 2021.

     

97/18

NEW LEADER'S STATEMENT pdf icon PDF 68 KB

    The new Leader to make a statement.

     

    There will be an opportunity for Members to ask questions and/or make comments.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Leader made a detailed statement. A copy of the statement is attached as Appendix A.

     

    Members raised the following topics:

     

    • That residents were disenchanted with politics.
    • The Council needed to sustain the confidence of residents.
    • It was important to maintain transparency.
    • That services needed to address the needs of all residents.
    • There was an essential need for mental health provision.
    • That the opposition parties needed access and involvement in decisions.
    • That the council’s property portfolio was key to changing services.
    • Noted that the Leader would retain the health portfolio.
    • Many residents could not differentiate between the two tier authorities in Surrey.
    • Stated that various services required rapid improvement.

     

98/18

MEMBERS' QUESTION TIME pdf icon PDF 153 KB

    1.     The Leader of the Council or the appropriate Member of the Cabinet or the Chairman of a Committee to answer any questions on any matter relating to the powers and duties of the County Council, or which affects the county.

     

    (Note:  Notice of questions in respect of the above item on the agenda must be given in writing, preferably by e-mail, to Democratic Services by 12 noon on 5 December 2018).

     

    2.     Cabinet Member Briefings on their portfolios

     

    These will be circulated by email to all Members prior to the County Council meeting, together with the Members’ questions and responses.

     

    There will be an opportunity for Members to ask questions.

     

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Notice of 14 questions had been received. The questions and replies are attached as Appendix B.

     

    A number of supplementary questions were asked and a summary of the main points is set out below:

     

    (Q2) Mr Robert Evans asked the Cabinet Member for Community Safety,

    Fire & Resilience if she felt it would be positive for members of the Surrey Police and Crime Panel to attend the Police and Crime Panel national conference. The Cabinet Member stated that the matter should be directed at the Police and Crime Panel for response.

     

    (Q3) Graham Ellwood asked the Cabinet Member for Children, Young People & Families to confirm what arrangements would to be made to allow residents transport to the remaining children’s centre sites. The Cabinet Member showed support for the family resilience model within Children’s Services and explained that details would be provided following the review of the responses to the consultation.

     

    (Q7) Stephen Cooksey felt that his question had not been responded to and askedthe Cabinet Member to confirm who was responsible for the final decision to close the canteens, what consultations had taken place with staff, and why Member consultation was not taken into account. The Cabinet Member stated that the decision was taken by the Cabinet and had been included in the Cabinet papers for the meeting on 25 September 2018. She further stressed that the decision showed the seriousness of the council’s financial situation. It was noted that alternative catering arrangements had been made and would be reviewed following implementation.

     

    Cabinet Member Briefings: these were also published with the supplementary agenda on 10 December 2018.

     

    Members made the following points:

     

    Deputy Leader: on the need to maintain and clean highway signs in Surrey. The Cabinet Member confirmed that all statutory signs were maintained and cleaned for safety reasons. He further informed Members that some parish councils were beginning to declutter non-statutory signs in their areasas some felt there were too many signs on the counties highways.

     

    Members also queried what powers and responsibilities the county would be seeking for the ‘Transport for the South East’ sub-national transport body. The former Deputy Leader informed Members that the decision still needed to be made on this but that the council would be looking at the legislative body ‘Transport for the North East’ as a guideline while adding in the context of the south east.

     

    In his previous capacity as Cabinet Member for Highways, the Deputy Leader agreed to provide a response to a Member outside the meeting to explain the reasoning for road works taking place on a recently re-laid road.

     

    Cabinet Member for Environment and Waste: on the need for a better railway service for residents as well as an improved delay repay scheme. Members also raised concerns with the Government’s plans to earmark funds from the business rates retention scheme to fund the extra costs of Crossrail 1, rather than Crossrail 2. The Cabinet Member agreed that there was a need for a better rail service in  ...  view the full minutes text for item 98/18

99/18

STATEMENTS BY MEMBERS

    Any Member may make a statement at the meeting on a local issue of current or future concern.

     

    (Note:  Notice of statements must be given in writing, preferably by e-mail, to Democratic Services by 12 noon on 10 December 2018).

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Dr Andrew Povey made a statement in regards to concerns around the proposed closure of Cranleigh Community Recycling Centre.

     

100/18

ORIGINAL MOTIONS

101/18

ELECTION OF COMMITTEE CHAIRMEN AND VICE-CHAIRMEN pdf icon PDF 75 KB

    To elect Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen of certain committees for the remainder of the Council year 2018/19.

     

    (Note: Proposals will be circulated in a supplementary agenda.)

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    RESOLVED:

     

    That the Members listed in italics in the published report are duly elected as Chairman and Vice-Chairmen of the specified Committees as shown for the remainder of the Council year 2018/19.

     

     

102/18

ESTABLISHMENT OF A JOINT HEALTH OVERVIEW & SCRUTINY COMMITTEE FOR SUSSEX AND EAST SURREY SUSTAINABILITY AND TRANSFORMATION PLAN pdf icon PDF 101 KB

    For Surrey County Council, in partnership with four other local authorities, to establish a Joint Health Overview & Scrutiny Committee for a four year term to scrutinise possible substantial variations arising from the development of the Sussex and East Surrey Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP).

     

    That Surrey County Council provides three Members to serve on the Joint Health & Overview Committee in accordance with political proportionality requirements. The report also requests that responsibility be delegated to the Health Integration and Commissioning Select Committee to appoint a non-voting co-opted representative from among its district and borough Members.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Leader of the Council introduced the report and provided Members with a brief summary. It was highlighted that, as Leader of the Council, he would continue to chair the Health and Wellbeing Board. It was further highlighted that Cllr Botten, Cllr Chapman and Cllr Grant-Duff would be appointed to the Joint Committee.

     

    Members highlighted that the power to refer onto the Secretary of State would remain with the Health, Integration and Commissioning Select Committee. 

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    That Surrey County Council:

     

    1. agreed to the establishment of a Joint Health Overview & Scrutiny Committee with Brighton and Hove City Council, East Sussex County Council and West Sussex County Council for the purposes of scrutinising substantial variations in service delivery arising from the development of Sussex and East Surrey Sustainability and Transformation Plan;

     

    1. approved the Terms of Reference for Sussex and East Surrey STP Joint Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee attached as Annex A to this report;

     

    1. agreed to appoint Mr Chris Botten, Dr Bill Chapman and Dr Zully Grant-Duff as Surrey County Council’s representative on the Sussex and East Surrey STP Joint Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee; and

     

    1. delegated responsibility for appointing a non-voting co-opted representative to the JHOSC to the Health Integration and Commissioning Select Committee.

     

103/18

APPOINTMENT OF AN INTERIM MONITORING OFFICER pdf icon PDF 74 KB

104/18

REPORT OF THE PEOPLE, PERFORMANCE & DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE pdf icon PDF 71 KB

    To approve the Committee’s updated Terms of Reference for inclusion in the Constitution. 

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Leader of the Council introduced the report and noted that the terms of reference had been discussed at length during the People, Performance and Development Committee meeting in November 2018.

     

    Members made the following comments:

     

    • Raised concern as the updated terms of reference prevented the Committee from taking a strategic role monitoring the costs of permanent and interim appointments.
    • That the overall senior management costs should be monitored and scrutinised.
    • That Members should not be involved with the recruitment of staff, as this was the responsibility of the Chief Executive as Head of Paid Service.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    To include the People, Performance and Development Committee Terms of Reference in the Constitution.

     

105/18

FINANCIAL REGULATIONS pdf icon PDF 66 KB

    This report seeks Council’s approval to the proposed changes to the Financial Regulations and an amendment to the Constitution.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Leader of the Council introduced the report.

     

    Mr David Harmer proposed that the final sentence of paragraph 9 be amended to read Appropriate training will be provided for all Members of the Audit and Governance Committee and the Corporate Overview Select Committee’, which was agreed. 

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    1. That the new Financial Regulations attached in Annex A of the report be approved.

     

    1. That the delegation of approval of the annual Treasury Management Strategy Statement to the Audit and Governance Committee be approved. 

     

    1. That the necessary amendments to the Council’s Constitution be approved, to allow the Audit and Governance Committee to “review and approve” the annual Treasury Management Strategy Statement.

     

106/18

REVIEW OF THE SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITY ALLOWANCE FOR DEPUTY CABINET MEMBERS - REPORT OF THE INDEPENDENT REMUNERATION PANEL pdf icon PDF 81 KB

    To receive the report of the Independent Remuneration Panel on the review of the Special Responsibility Allowance for Deputy Cabinet Members.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Leader of the Council highlighted that Deputy Cabinet Members now had been allocated to specific Cabinet portfolios and from now on will be asked to provide an update to each County Council meeting.

     

    Members made the following points:

     

    ·        That Cabinet Members should be able to conduct the full work within a portfolio, rather than have a deputy.

    ·        That, in theory, there could be up to 10 new Deputy Cabinet Members.

    ·        That in October 2018, the Independent Remuneration Panel (IRP) stated that Deputy Cabinet Member roles were not necessary.

    ·        That 18 of 26 County Councils in the country had Deputy Cabinet Members.

     

     52 Members voted for, 14 Against and 4 Abstentions

     

    Therefore it was resolved:

     

    That the Special Responsibility Allowance for Deputy Cabinet Members is set at £10,000.

     

107/18

SCRUTINY ANNUAL REPORT 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 51 KB

    The Council to consider the Scrutiny Annual Report 2017/18 and comment accordingly.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Leader of the Council introduced the report and stated that the report summarised the work of select committees in 2017/18 and outlined the key priorities going forward. It was highlighted that there would be a review of all select committees.

     

    Members made the following points:

     

    • Highlighted that two thirds of select committee meetings did not make a recommendation.
    • Felt that select committees should play a more important role in the governance of the Council.
    • That consistency from previous arrangements was needed when reviewing select committees.
    • That there was a need for more resource to conduct good scrutiny.

     

108/18

REPORT OF THE CABINET pdf icon PDF 81 KB

    To receive the report of the meeting of the Cabinet held on 27 November 2018 and to agree one recommendation in respect of:

     

    A.     Revised Financial Regulations

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Leader presented the report of the Cabinet meeting held on 27 November 2018. 

     

    Reports for Information/ Discussion

     

    1. Revised Financial Regulations

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    That the report of the meeting of the Cabinet held on 27 November 2018 be adopted.

     

109/18

MINUTES OF CABINET MEETINGS pdf icon PDF 26 KB