Agenda and minutes

Planning and Regulatory Committee
Wednesday, 10 July 2019 10.30 am

Venue: Ashcombe Suite, County Hall, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey KT1 2DN

Contact: Huma Younis  Email: huma.younis@surreycc.gov.uk

Webcast: View the webcast

Items
No. Item

12/19

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTIONS

13/19

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING pdf icon PDF 118 KB

14/19

PETITIONS

15/19

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME

16/19

MEMBERS' QUESTION TIME pdf icon PDF 62 KB

    To answer any questions received from Members of the Council in accordance with Standing Order 68.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    A question was received from Cllr Ernest Mallett. A response was tabled at the meeting and also circulated to the committee in advance of the meeting. The question and response is attached as Annex 1.

     

    Cllr Mallett stated that the redundant house was not being used as a visitors centre as per the original plan. It was also understood in the original application that the public would be able to walk around the site but both the viewing platforms are within the permissive path and this path has yet to be opened to the public. It was agreed that the Planning Development Manager would take back Cllr Mallett’s comments to the relevant officer. The Chairman agreed that the issue needed to be progressed as a matter of urgency.  

     

17/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTERESTS

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest

    ·         As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

    ·         Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Cllr Edward Hawkins declared a non-pecuniary interest in that he knew one of the applicants whom had previously reported to a Planning Committee he was a member off.

18/19

MINERALS APPLICATION REF. SP12/01487: LAND AT WATERSPLASH FARM, GASTON BRIDGE ROAD AND FORDBRIDGE ROAD, SHEPPERTON, SURREY, TW16 6AU pdf icon PDF 715 KB

    This application is for the proposed extraction of concreting aggregate from land at Watersplash Farm together with the erection of processing plant and associated mineral infrastructure, the provision of a new access from the Gaston Bridge Road/Green Lane roundabout, restoration involving the importation of inert restoration materials to agriculture, flood meadows, lake and reed beds with public access, on a site of 28 ha, and temporary diversion of public footpath 53 for the duration of operations.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    An update sheet was tabled at the meeting and is attached as Annex 2 to the minutes.

    Officers:

    Caroline Smith, Planning Development Manager

    Stephen Jenkins, Deputy Planning Development Manager

    Nancy El-Shatoury, Principal Lawyer

    Mike Burch, Senior Flood Risk and Network Resilience Officer

    Richard Thomas, Peter Brett Associates

     

    Speakers:

    Mr John Douglass, made representations in objection to the application. The following key points were made:

    ·        Chartered electrical engineer and a representative from the Shepperton against Watersplash Group.

    ·        EA originally objected to the application on various grounds and as a result Cemex withdrew and amended the application.

    ·        EA originally objected to proposals on flood risk grounds but following discussions with applicant the EA withdrew objections but planning officers failed to tell you why objections were with withdrawn. These were withdrawn because ground water flooding was not within the remit of the EA anymore and was now a responsibility of the lead flooding authority, Surrey County Council.

    ·        Anomalies in the planning officers report with serious consequences for water supply at Fordbridge Park.

     

    Mr John Fennell, made representations in objection to the application. The following key points were made:

    ·        Explained that he was an engineer.

    ·        Planning officers conclusions mask flaws of a catastrophic flooding event in Shepperton.

    ·        Experts consultants used by the council have applied old government guidelines to predict flood events to approximately 1 in 30,000 years. Despite the site being in a EA flood zone 3A. We believe that a flood event could occur approximately 1 in 20 years using the most updated guidelines from government.

    ·        Believe there is a chance that low lying Shepperton could be flooded, which is 5ft below Watersplash farm.

     

    Mr Derek Langridge, made representations in objection to the application. The following key points were made:

    ·        Manager at Fordbridge Park, a residential development with 35 homes for a retirement community. Many residents are elderly and will be adversely impacted if this application goes ahead. 

    ·        Have objected to the application on the following grounds; water supply pollution, flood risk, congestion, noise, air quality, pollution from dust and impact on quality of life for residents living at the Park.

    ·        The biggest concern relates to freshwater supply to the park which is obtained from an aquifer fed borehole which flows beneath Watersplash Farm and is the only drinking water supply and there is no alternative water supply available to the Park. Confirmed that a new mains water supply could not be obtained.

    ·        This aquifer fed borehole must remain and be regularly tested for possible contamination especially if the gravel is going to be extracted and filled with clay or other materials.

     

    Mr Robin Sider, made representations in objection to the application. The following key points were made:

    ·        Explained that he was a resident and also a Shepperton Borough Councillor.

    ·        Local roads cannot cope with an increase in traffic this application will generate especially as 30,000 vehicles travel across Walton bridge onto Walton bridge road every day.

    ·        A number of HGVs are also travelling to the waste transfer station close to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 18/19

19/19

PROPOSED PUBLIC BYWAY OPEN TO ALL TRAFFIC (BOAT) NO. 137 (EFFINGHAM) AND (WOTTON) TRAFFIC REGULATION ORDER (TRO) pdf icon PDF 88 KB

    This report seeks approval to publish a Notice of Intention to make a Traffic Regulation Order (“TRO”) for Byway Open To All Traffic No. 137 (Effingham) and (Wotton) also known as Drove Road, prohibiting vehicles exceeding 7ft in width.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Officers:

     

    Debbie Prismall, Senior Countryside Access Officer

    Joanne Porter, Countryside Access Assistant

     

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1. The report was introduced by theSenior Countryside Access Officer who explained that reports of this nature usually go to Local Committees for decision but had come to the Planning and Regulatory Committee as the byway open to all traffic in question falls within the remit of two boroughs. It was further added that since the installation of the barriers there had been no complaints of flytipping.
    2. The Committee unanimously approved the recommendation to publish the Notice of Intention to make a Traffic Regulation Order.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    The Planning & Regulatory Committee APPROVE the publication of a Notice of Intention to make a TrafficRegulation Order prohibiting vehicles exceeding 7ft in width, with a barrier and a gap at points A (grid ref. 511436 149706), B (grid ref. 511453 149709) and C(grid ref. 512013 149984) as shown on Drawing. No. 3/1/58/H18.

     

20/19

REVISED STATEMENT OF COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT pdf icon PDF 66 KB

    To inform the Committee of the proposed revision to the Statement ofCommunity Involvement (SCI) and of the public consultation on a draft SCI that took place between 7Mayand 18 June 2019. The SCI is relevant to the work of this Committee since it dealswith publicity and community engagement during the consideration of planning applications.The revised SCI will be considered for adoption by Cabinet and Council in September andOctober 2019.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Officers:

    Caroline Smith, Planning Development Manager

     

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1. The Planning Development Manager explained that the Statement of Community Involvement sets out how people can be involved in the process of planning and sets out the councils approach to public consultation with residents on planning applications and local plans. The Statement of Community Involvement is a statutory requirement.
    2. Proposals will allow for focus on major substantive applications. It is proposed that changes will streamline the development management process, making the best use of resources and targeting resources to major applications.
    3. The changes to simplify publicity were explained to the Committee.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    The Planning and Regulatory Committee noted the proposed revised Statement of Community Involvement.

     

    *************************************************************************************************************

    The Planning Development Manager gave the Committee a brief update on the Oxted Chalkpit application which was considered by the Committee in November 2018. At this meeting a condition around vehicle movements was amended by the Committee. The Planning Development Manager informed the Committee that the site operator had appealed the decision on the number of HGVs condition, the condition that vehicles do not leave the site at school pick up and drop off times and the condition requiring the operator to undertake regular surveys the highway for damage. A hearing will be organised for the autumn and in Tandridge so local residents can attend this.  [Since the committee meeting, the latest information we have is that the inquiry is likely to be in early 2020.}

     

    *************************************************************************************************************

     

21/19

DATE OF NEXT MEETING