Agenda, decisions and minutes

Reigate and Banstead Local Committee
Monday, 12 December 2016 2.00 pm

Venue: Reigate Town Hall, Castlefield Road, Reigate, Surrey RH2 0SH

Contact: Susan Briant / Sarah Quinn, Community Partnership and Committee Officers  Reigate Town Hall, Castlefield Road, Reigate, Surrey RH2 0SH

Items
No. Item

101/16

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE (AGENDA ITEM ONLY)

102/16

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING (AGENDA ITEM ONLY) pdf icon PDF 195 KB

103/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST (AGENDA ITEM ONLY)

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)    Any disclosable pecuniary interests and/or

    (ii)   Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest

    ·         As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

    ·         Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial

    Minutes:

    ·         Mrs Dorothy Ross-Tomlin declared a personal interest in Item 4a by virtue of being a resident of Silverlea Gardens.

     

    ·         Mr Nick Harrison declared a personal interest in Item 6(ii) by virtue of being a member of the Surrey Museums Group.

     

    ·         Cllr Roger Newstead declared a personal interest in Item 6(ii) by virtue of being a member of the Reigate Priory Museum Trust.

     

     

104/16

PETITIONS (AGENDA ITEM ONLY)

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting. Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    Minutes:

    Item 4a – Review and potential limited introduction of parking restrictions in Silverlea Gardens, Horley

     

    A petition containing 42 signatures was received from Ms Julie Cable and Mrs Stella Price. The petitioners sent their apologies for being unable to attend the meeting.

     

    One Member raised concerns regarding the displacement of parking to other roads if restrictions were introduced, but the majority of Members supported the petition and pointed out that there was plenty of car parking available in Horley Town Centre. The Area Highway Manager agreed to pass on all comments to the Parking Team.

     

    Members noted the response of the Parking Strategy and Implementation Team Manager.

     

    [Mrs Dorothy Ross-Tomlin declared a personal interest in this item by virtue of being a resident of Silverlea Gardens, and left the room during its consideration. Ms Barbara Thomson took the chair for this item.]

     

    Item 4b – Install a filter light for right turns into Woodhatch Road from the traffic lights on the A217 at The Angel, Woodhatch

     

    A petition containing 241 signatures was received from Mrs Toni Hand. The petitioner was unable to attend and sent Ms Jackie Relffe-Arnold to speak on her behalf.

     

    Ms Relffe-Arnold made the following points:

     

    ·         The junction is extremely dangerous and the number of accidents and near misses has a cost to residents, businesses and the council. She had been involved in a road traffic collision at the junction where she was injured and her car written off.

    ·         The community feels this is a serious issue.

    ·         A filter lane would make the junction safer.

     

    Members discussed the petition and officer response. They expressed much sympathy with Ms Relffe-Arnold and the other petitioners, as well as disappointment that the funding was not currently available to carry out the requested safety improvements. The Area Highway Manager thanked the petitioners for their comments and assured that them that they would be taken into consideration, should funding become available. She noted that a substantial redesign of the junction would be required to improve safety, but the number of recorded accidents at the location meant that it did not place highly in the list for prioritisation. It would, however, be added to the Integrated Transport Schemes list for future consideration.

     

    Members noted the response of the Area Highway Manager.

104/16a

Silverlea Gardens, Horley - Review of Parking Restrictions pdf icon PDF 128 KB

104/16b

Petition - Woodhatch Road, Reigate pdf icon PDF 73 KB

105/16

FORMAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS (AGENDA ITEM ONLY)

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Reigate and Banstead Borough area in accordance with Standing Order 69. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer by 12 noon 4 working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    None received.

106/16

FORMAL MEMBER QUESTIONS (AGENDA ITEM ONLY) pdf icon PDF 82 KB

    To receive any questions from Members under Standing Order 47. Notice should be given in writing to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer before 12 noon 4 working days before the meeting.

     

    Two questions received to date:

     

    (i)    Mrs Barbara Thomson: Slipshatch Road, Reigate – Response attached

    (ii)   Cllr Roger Newstead: Reigate Priory Update

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Two formal public questions were received from Mrs Barbara Thomson and Cllr Roger Newstead. The responses were circulated with the agenda and supplementary agenda.

     

    [Mr Nick Harrison declared a personal interest in this item by virtue of being a member of the Surrey Museums Group. Cllr Roger Newstead declared a personal interest in this item by virtue of being a member of the Reigate Priory Museum Trust.]

107/16

LOCAL COMMITTEE DECISION TRACKER (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 185 KB

    To note progress against decisions taken at previous meetings

     

    Report attached

    Minutes:

    The Committee NOTED the Decision Tracker.

     

    [6 June 2016 – Item 9 (Installation of Variable Message Signing) – it was reported that the signage had not been installed due to the lack of available electrical connections, despite the work of borough council officers and the availability of funding. The Area Highway Manager agreed to discuss this with the Traffic and Streetworks Manager.]

108/16

ARMED FORCES COVENANT (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 204 KB

    Surrey County Council (SCC) signed the Armed Forces Community Covenant with the military on 13 March 2012, with Reigate and Banstead Council (R&BBC) signing on 24 June 2013. Following the signings, a countywide Surrey Civilian Military Partnership Board (SCMPB) was established to implement actions under the Covenant across Surrey.

     

    This report provides an update of activities undertaken.

     

    Report and Annexes 1-5 attached

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Canon Peter Bruinvels, Civilian Military Liaison Adviser

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

     

    ·         Members wished to know if there was a large number of homeless ex-soldiers in Surrey. The Civilian Military Liaison Adviser noted that it was not a large problem. The Surrey County Council Contact Centre now asks whether those enquiring about homelessness have served in the Armed Forces. A bigger issue is helping former servicemen who are leaving prison.

     

    ·         Discussion took place around mental health issues. The work of Ben’s Place in Merstham was highlighted.

     

    ·         The Chairman spoke about the excellent work carried out by the Cadet Forces, particularly where young people from challenging backgrounds are helped to become valuable members of the community. The Civilian Military Liaison Adviser noted that Cadet Forces were especially strong in Reigate & Banstead, although there was a shortage of adult volunteers to support Cadet Forces across Surrey.

     

    ·         Cllr Roger Newstead, speaking as the Armed Forces Champion for Reigate & Banstead Borough Council, reported that the Army Cadet Force’s national champion cadet for 2016 belonged to the Redhill Detachment. He also noted that there was an issue of identifying where veterans lived, and that the Royal British Legion was lobbying for a question to be included in the next census to ascertain whether people had served in the Armed Forces.

     

    ·         The Chairman thanked the Civilian Military Liaison Adviser for his presentation, and reiterated the Local Committee’s support for the Armed Forces and the work being carried out in Surrey.

     

    The Local Committee (Reigate & Banstead) NOTED the report.

109/16

HIGHWAYS FORWARD PROGRAMME 2017/18 - 2018/19 (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 180 KB

    This report seeks approval of a programme of highway works for Reigate and Banstead funded from the Local Committee’s delegated capital and revenue.

     

    Report and Annex 1 attached

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Committee:

     

    (i)          NOTED that the Local Committee’s devolved highways budget for capital works has been reduced as set out in the Medium Term Financial Plan, to £336,508 in 2017/18 and to £178,813 in 2018/19, and that it has been assumed that the revenue budget for 2017/18 remains approximately the same as for 2016/17 at £217,778.

     

    (ii)         NOTED that a further report will be presented to the March 2017 meeting of the Reigate & Banstead Local Committee to agree a revised programme should the devolved budget vary significantly from these amounts.

     

    (iii)        AGREED that the capital improvement schemes allocation for Reigate & Banstead be used to progress the Integrated Transport Schemes programme set out in Annex 1 to the report submitted.

     

    (iv)       AUTHORISED that the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Local Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman, be able to vire money between the schemes agreed in Annex 1 to the report submitted, if required.

     

    (v)        AGREED that the Local Committee Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Area Team Manager, together with the relevant local divisional Member, are able to progress any scheme from the Integrated Transport Schemes programme, including consultation and statutory advertisement that may be required under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, for completion of those schemes. Where it is agreed that a scheme will not be progressed, this will be reported back to the next formal meeting of the Local Committee for approval.

     

    (vi)       AGREED that the Area Team Manager, in consultation with the Local Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman, be able to vire money between the capital improvement schemes (Integrated Transport Schemes) and capital maintenance (Local Structural Repair) budgets, and vice-versa, if required.

     

    (vii)      AGREED that the capital maintenance schemes allocation for Reigate & Banstead be divided equitably between County Councillors to carry out Local Structural Repair, and that the schemes to be progressed be agreed by the Area Maintenance Manager in consultation with the Local Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman and local divisional Members.

     

    (viii)     AUTHORISED the Area Maintenance engineer, in consultation with the Local Committee Chairman, Vice-Chairman and relevant local divisional Member, to use the £217,778 revenue maintenance budget for 2017/18 as detailed in Table 2 of the report submitted.

     

    (ix)       AGREED that the Area Maintenance Engineer, in consultation with the Local Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman, be able to vire the revenue maintenance budget between the identified work headings in Table 2 of the report submitted.

     

    (x)        AGREED that £5,000 per County Councillor be allocated from the revenue maintenance budget for Highways Localism Initiative works, and that if bids for this funding have not been received by the end of May 2017, the monies revert to the relevant Member to use to fund Community Enhancement works.

     

    (xi)       AGREED that Members should contact the Area Maintenance Engineer to discuss their specific requirements with regard to any Community Enhancement allocation and arrange for the work activities to be managed by the Area Maintenance Engineer on their behalf.

     

    (xii)      AGREED that the revenue maintenance gang be managed on Members’ behalf by the Area Maintenance  ...  view the full decision text for item 109/16

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Zena Curry, Area Highway Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

     

    ·         Discussion took place regarding recommendation (x) – the Area Highway Manager clarified that this had not changed from previous years, and that Members were invited to discuss potential bids with residents associations and parish councils. It was noted that the May 2017 deadline would not be affected by the county council elections.

     

    The Local Committee (Reigate & Banstead):

     

    (i)          NOTED that the Local Committee’s devolved highways budget for capital works has been reduced as set out in the Medium Term Financial Plan, to £336,508 in 2017/18 and to £178,813 in 2018/19, and that it has been assumed that the revenue budget for 2017/18 remains approximately the same as for 2016/17 at £217,778.

     

    (ii)         NOTED that a further report will be presented to the March 2017 meeting of the Reigate & Banstead Local Committee to agree a revised programme should the devolved budget vary significantly from these amounts.

     

    (iii)        AGREED that the capital improvement schemes allocation for Reigate & Banstead be used to progress the Integrated Transport Schemes programme set out in Annex 1 to the report submitted.

     

    (iv)       AUTHORISED that the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Local Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman, be able to vire money between the schemes agreed in Annex 1 to the report submitted, if required.

     

    (v)        AGREED that the Local Committee Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Area Team Manager, together with the relevant local divisional Member, are able to progress any scheme from the Integrated Transport Schemes programme, including consultation and statutory advertisement that may be required under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, for completion of those schemes. Where it is agreed that a scheme will not be progressed, this will be reported back to the next formal meeting of the Local Committee for approval.

     

    (vi)       AGREED that the Area Team Manager, in consultation with the Local Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman, be able to vire money between the capital improvement schemes (Integrated Transport Schemes) and capital maintenance (Local Structural Repair) budgets, and vice-versa, if required.

     

    (vii)      AGREED that the capital maintenance schemes allocation for Reigate & Banstead be divided equitably between County Councillors to carry out Local Structural Repair, and that the schemes to be progressed be agreed by the Area Maintenance Manager in consultation with the Local Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman and local divisional Members.

     

    (viii)     AUTHORISED the Area Maintenance engineer, in consultation with the Local Committee Chairman, Vice-Chairman and relevant local divisional Member, to use the £217,778 revenue maintenance budget for 2017/18 as detailed in Table 2 of the report submitted.

     

    (ix)       AGREED that the Area Maintenance Engineer, in consultation with the Local Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman, be able to vire the revenue maintenance budget between the identified work headings in Table 2 of the report submitted.

     

    (x)        AGREED that £5,000 per County Councillor be allocated from the revenue maintenance budget for Highways Localism Initiative works, and that if bids for this funding have not  ...  view the full minutes text for item 109/16

110/16

HIGHWAYS SCHEMES UPDATE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 159 KB

    At the 14 December 2015 Local Committee, Members agreed a programme of revenue and capital highway works in Reigate and Banstead.  An amended programme of works was agreed on 7March 2016 to take account of the reduced revenue budget.  Delegated authority was given to enable the forward programme to be progressed without the need to bring further reports to the Local Committee for decision.  This report sets out recent progress.  The report also updates Members on the progress of the Wider Network Benefits (East) scheme, the A217 Resilience Scheme, the Greater Redhill Sustainable Transport Package, the Epsom and Banstead Sustainable Transport Package and the number of enquiries received from customers.

     

    Revised Report and Annex 2 attached

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Committee NOTED the contents of the report and:

     

    (i)    APPROVED the establishment of the M25 Junction 8 Improvements Task Group.

     

    (ii)   NOMINATED the following Members to sit on the task group: Mrs Dorothy Ross-Tomlin; Mr Bob Gardner; Mr Ken Gulati; Cllr Frank Kelly and Cllr Roger Newstead.

     

    (iii)  DELEGATED authority to the Travel and Transport Group Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Local Committee, to agree the terms of reference for the M25 Junction 8 Improvements Task Group.

     

    (iv)REQUESTED that the Area Team Manager discuss with each divisional Member their requests for local priority schemes in their division for inclusion in the Horizon 2 Roads Major Maintenance Programme (HRMM) before 16 January 2017.

     

    (v)  AUTHORISED the Area Team Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Local Committee to finalise the list of local priority schemes for inclusion in the Horizon 2 Roads Major Maintenance Programme (HRMM) by 31 January 2017, following consideration of the selection of schemes (set out in Annex 3 to the report submitted) at the 16 January 2017 informal meeting of the Local Committee.

     

    REASONS:

     

    To update the Local Committee on the progress of the highway works programme in Reigate & Banstead; to facilitate the consideration of the proposed improvements by Highways England to Junction 8 of the M25 and to advise the Local Committee on these improvements, and to enable the progression of the Horizon 2 Roads Major Maintenance Programme within Reigate & Banstead following input from Members of the Local Committee.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Zena Curry, Area Highway Manager; Tommy Whittingham, Route Sponsor, M25 London Orbital (East), Highways England

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Supplementary Papers: A second revision to the report was tabled together with Annex 3. These papers are attached to the minutes as Appendix A.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

     

    ·         Members raised concerns regarding the proposals set out in Annex 3 to the report submitted and recommendation (iv) as set out in the report. Concerns were raised that some roads which required reconstruction were no longer on the list. As a result, the Committee agreed to revise recommendation (iv) and add a new recommendation (v), enabling further discussion of the schemes at the informal meeting of the Committee on 16 January 2017. This was voted on and agreed.

     

    ·         The Area Highway Manager explained that all roads had been re-inspected using the new Asset Management Prioritisation Matrix. Due to the winter floods of 2013/14, some roads had been given higher priority due to flood damage, resulting in other roads being deemed lower priority.

     

    ·         The Chairman informed Members that she had requested that the worst roads in the county should be prioritised, but this view had not been shared by the other Local Committee Chairmen.

     

    ·         It was noted that Princess Way, Redhill, was due to be resurfaced following the completion of the Balanced Network, and that there were drainage issues in London Road that needed to be tackled before resurfacing. The Area Highway Manager agreed to confirm the position on these roads outside the meeting. She also agreed to confirm the position regarding the Section 106 contribution from the Sainsbury’s development.

     

    ·         A number of Members pointed out inaccuracies in the list, including roads that had already been resurfaced.

     

    ·         The Area Highway Manager reported that a separate 4B Network list would cover roads that did not require full reconstruction.

     

    ·         A question was asked regarding the Holly Lodge crossing. The Area Highway Manager reported that feedback on average speed cameras was awaited in order to make an uncontrolled crossing more viable.

     

    ·         Discussion also took place regarding the establishment of a task group to consider the proposed improvements to M25 Junction 8 by Highways England. Tommy Whittingham, the Highways England officer responsible for this section of the motorway, introduced himself to Members and reported that construction was likely to be finished by the end of 2018/19.

     

    The Local Committee (Reigate & Banstead) NOTED the report and:

     

    (i)    APPROVED the establishment of the M25 Junction 8 Improvements Task Group.

     

    (ii)   NOMINATED the following Members to sit on the task group: Mrs Dorothy Ross-Tomlin; Mr Bob Gardner; Mr Ken Gulati; Cllr Frank Kelly and Cllr Roger Newstead.

     

    (iii)  DELEGATED authority to the Travel and Transport Group Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Local Committee, to agree the terms of reference for the M25 Junction 8 Improvements Task Group.

     

    (iv)REQUESTED that the Area Team Manager discuss with each divisional Member their requests for  ...  view the full minutes text for item 110/16

111/16

VARIABLE MESSAGE SIGNS INSTALLATION UPDATE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 178 KB

    Surrey County Council (SCC) was successful with its bid to the Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership (C2C LEP) for Capital Funding of the ‘Wider Network Benefits’ Intelligent Transport Systems Project. This scheme utilises technology such as Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR), CCTV Cameras and Variable Message Signs (VMS) on the ‘A’ Road network across the eastern side of Surrey, to better manage congestion on the road network from Surrey CC’s Network Management Information Centre (NMIC) in Leatherhead. This report advises on provisional locations for the forthcoming VMS installation, likely to be completed early 2017, as this particular equipment will be the most visible addition to the streetscene in Reigate and Banstead.

     

    Report and Annex 1 attached

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Matthew Jezzard, Traffic and Streetworks Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Supplementary Papers: An updated location map was tabled, and is attached to the minutes as Appendix B.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

     

    ·         Discussion took place regarding two amendments to the proposed locations of VMS 20 (from Fir Tree Road to Winkworth Road), and VMS 27 (from the junction with Raglan Road to the junction with Gatton Bottom). The Traffic and Streetworks Manager noted Members’ suggestions for the new location of VMS 20 and agreed to look at these, subject to suitable sightlines and removal of obstructions. The new placement of VMS 27 was welcomed.

     

    ·         Members wished to know the source of the £750,000 matched funding. The Traffic and Streetworks Manager agreed to find out and report back outside the meeting.

     

    ·         Discussion took place around the introduction of other measures to control traffic flow, such as traffic signal phasing. The Traffic and Streetworks Manager explained that the Network Management and Information Centre (NMIC) now had equipment enabling the measurement of average journey times with alerts when these became longer. The NMIC can then use VMS and send out travel alerts to enable drivers to choose alternative routes. The next stage of this programme will be dial up traffic signal control. This is particularly pertinent to the A217 as this is part of the Tactical Diversion Route for the M25.

     

    The Local Committee (Reigate & Banstead) NOTED the report.

     

112/16

BUCKLAND LANE, WALTON ON THE HILL - PROPOSED TRAFFIC REGULATION ORDER ALONG D318 BUCKLAND LANE (BUCKLAND), X25120 BUCKLAND LANE (WALTON ON THE HILL) AND PUBLIC BYWAYS OPEN TO ALL TRAFFIC (BOAT) NOS 98 (WALTON ON THE HILL) AND 479 (BUCKLAND) (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 397 KB

    This report seeks approval to make a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) to introduce a 1.5m (4ft 11ins) width restriction on Buckland Lane (X25120) and for Byway Open to All Traffic (BOAT) 98 (Walton on the Hill) that is in Reigate and Banstead. A report to the Mole Valley District Council will seek similar approval for Buckland Lane (D318) and BOAT 479 in Mole Valley.

     

    Report and Annexes 1-3 attached

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Committee:

     

    (i)    AGREED that based upon the evidence, a Traffic Regulation Order restricting any motorised vehicles and any horse drawn vehicle wider than 1.5m (4ft 11ins) be implemented in the section of Buckland Lane (X25120) between boundary with Mole Valley District Council and a point 479m south of the northern extent of BOAT No.98 where it joins Buckland Lane (D318).

     

    (ii)   AUTHORISED the advertisement of a notice in accordance with the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, the effect of which will be to implement the proposed width restriction (1.5m – 4ft 11ins) on Buckland Lane (X25120) and BOAT No.98 (Walton on the Hill), between boundary with Mole Valley District Council and a point 479m south of the northern extent of BOAT No.98 where it joins Buckland Lane (D318), revoke any existing traffic orders necessary to implement the change, and, subject to no objections being upheld, that the order be made.

     

    (iii)  AUTHORISED delegation of authority to the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Local Committee and the local divisional Member to resolve any objections received in connection with the proposal.

     

    REASONS:

     

    To address road safety concerns raised by Surrey Police following 4-wheeled vehicles rolling down the embankment due to subsidence on D318 Buckland Lane.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Zena Curry, Area Highway Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

     

    ·         Clarification was sought as to whether there was a turning point if vehicles accessed Buckland Lane from the Walton Oaks roundabout. The Area Highway Manager confirmed that there was a turning point at the start of the proposed closure (Point A on Annex 2).

     

    ·         Concerns were raised that the closure would lead to the encroachment of the lane by vegetation, meaning it would be inaccessible for most of the year. The Area Highway Manager reported that the Forestry Commission would be helping with vegetation clearance to maintain access. It was emphasised that the road would only be closed to motorised vehicles, and that pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders would still be able to enjoy the route.

     

    The Local Committee (Reigate & Banstead):

     

    (i)    AGREED that based upon the evidence, a Traffic Regulation Order restricting any motorised vehicles and any horse drawn vehicle wider than 1.5m (4ft 11ins) be implemented in the section of Buckland Lane (X25120) between boundary with Mole Valley District Council and a point 479m south of the northern extent of BOAT No.98 where it joins Buckland Lane (D318).

     

    (ii)   AUTHORISED the advertisement of a notice in accordance with the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, the effect of which will be to implement the proposed width restriction (1.5m – 4ft 11ins) on Buckland Lane (X25120) and BOAT No.98 (Walton on the Hill), between boundary with Mole Valley District Council and a point 479m south of the northern extent of BOAT No.98 where it joins Buckland Lane (D318), revoke any existing traffic orders necessary to implement the change, and, subject to no objections being upheld, that the order be made.

     

    (iii)  AUTHORISED delegation of authority to the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Local Committee and the local divisional Member to resolve any objections received in connection with the proposal.

     

113/16

EXTENSION OF FASTWAY BUS ROUTE INTO THE ACRES, HORLEY (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 143 KB

    The purpose of this report is to seek authority from Local Committee for the general arrangement of highway works and the necessary Traffic Regulation Orders required to extend the Fastway 20 bus service into the Acres.

     

    Report and Annexes 1 and 2 attached

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Committee:

     

    (i)       NOTED  the comments received from local engagement.

    (ii)      APPROVED the highway works to Langshott, shown on Drawing Nos. PC0639/001/PRES and PC0639/002/PRES. 

    (iii)     APPROVED the three bus stop clearways in Brookfield Drive, shown on Drawings Nos. PC0639/003/PRES and PC0639/004/PRES.

    (iv)    APPROVED the introduction of a “School Keep Clear” parking restriction in Brookfield Drive outside Trinity Oaks Primary School (Mon-Fri 8.15am to 4.30pm), shown on Drawing No. PC0639/004/PRES.

    (v)     APPROVED the highway works at the crossroads of Langshott/Orchard Drive/Wheatfield Way, as shown on Drawing No. PC0639/005/PRES, and that a notice for the vertical deflection measures be published in the local press;

    (vi)    AGREED that any alterations to Drawing Nos. PC0639/001 – 5 be delegated to the South East Surrey Area Team Manager in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Local Committee and local divisional Members.

    (vii)   APPROVED “no waiting at any time” parking restrictions, as shown on Drawing Nos. PC0639/003/PRES and PC0639/004/PRES, and that the county council’s intention to introduce them by making amendments to the Traffic Regulation Orders be formally advertised and that if there are no objections, the amendments to the orders are made.

    (viii)  AGREED that if there are objections that cannot be resolved, in accordance with the county council’s scheme of delegation, the Parking Strategy and Implementation Team Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Local Committee and local divisional Members, decides whether or not they should be acceded to and therefore whether the order should be made, with or without modifications.

    REASONS:

     

    To enable the Fastway 20 bus service to be extended into The Acres in accordance with the planning permissions and legal agreements for the neighbourhood and previous committee approvals.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Dave Taylor, Senior Projects Manager and Chris Parry, Senior Transport Officer, Transport Development Planning

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

     

    ·         The Chairman, speaking as divisional Member, expressed her support for the proposals and noted the involvement of The Acres Residents Association.

    ·         Members wished to know what would happen in the event of a failure of the bus gate. The Senior Transport Officer explained that the gate would collapse to an open position if it failed, but that proposed kerbing in the centre of the carriageways would prevent cars from going through it. This was already in place in parts of the Fastway network in Crawley and worked well.

    The Local Committee (Reigate & Banstead):

     

    (i)       NOTED  the comments received from local engagement.

    (ii)      APPROVED the highway works to Langshott, shown on Drawing Nos. PC0639/001/PRES and PC0639/002/PRES. 

    (iii)     APPROVED the three bus stop clearways in Brookfield Drive, shown on Drawings Nos. PC0639/003/PRES and PC0639/004/PRES.

    (iv)    APPROVED the introduction of a “School Keep Clear” parking restriction in Brookfield Drive outside Trinity Oaks Primary School (Mon-Fri 8.15am to 4.30pm), shown on Drawing No. PC0639/004/PRES.

    (v)     APPROVED the highway works at the crossroads of Langshott/Orchard Drive/Wheatfield Way, as shown on Drawing No. PC0639/005/PRES, and that a notice for the vertical deflection measures be published in the local press;

    (vi)    AGREED that any alterations to Drawing Nos. PC0639/001 – 5 be delegated to the South East Surrey Area Team Manager in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Local Committee and local divisional Members.

    (vii)   APPROVED “no waiting at any time” parking restrictions, as shown on Drawing Nos. PC0639/003/PRES and PC0639/004/PRES, and that the county council’s intention to introduce them by making amendments to the Traffic Regulation Orders be formally advertised and that if there are no objections, the amendments to the orders are made.

    (viii)  AGREED that if there are objections that cannot be resolved, in accordance with the county council’s scheme of delegation, the Parking Strategy and Implementation Team Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Local Committee and local divisional Members, decides whether or not they should be acceded to and therefore whether the order should be made, with or without modifications.

     

114/16

INTRODUCTION OF BUS STOP CLEARWAYS ON A217 BRIGHTON ROAD, LOWER KINGSWOOD (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 168 KB

    To seek the Local Committee’s approval to introduce two bus stop clearways on the A217 Brighton Road, Lower Kingswood.

     

    Report and Annexes 1 and 2 attached

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Committee AGREED that clearways be introduced at the existing bus stops on the A217 Brighton Road, Lower Kingswood (northbound at Margery Lane and southbound on Tadworth Roundabout), with the following restrictions: “No stopping 7.00am – 7.00pm every day except local buses”.

     

    REASONS:

     

    (i)    Buses require parallel alignment with the kerb to deploy ramping and kneeling equipment to allow access for wheelchair users and those with mobility problems.

     

    (ii)   Parked vehicles within bus stops prevent this access.

     

    (iii)  Bus stop clearways enable Borough and District enforcement officers to issue penalty charge notices on offending vehicles thereby discouraging inconsiderate parking.

     

    (iv)The proposed restrictions are recommended as they follow Department for Transport guidance that they should be ‘appropriate to the operating times of the bus service’.

     

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Zena Curry, Area Highway Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

     

    ·         Mr Bob Gardner, speaking as divisional Member, expressed his support for the proposals, but raised concerns regarding the amount of litter at the bus stops and asked whether the borough council would tackle this. It was noted that litter picking had been carried out.

    ·         Members wished to know whether school buses and coaches could use the bus stops. The Area Highway Manager explained that the majority of school buses are scheduled services, and they would be entitled to use the bus stops. Any other school buses would not be permitted to stop. Coaches were not entitled to stop in the clearways, but their nearest stopping off point was the Fox on the Hill pub.

    ·         Members wished to know how the clearways would be enforced. The Area Highway Manager reported that the Joint Enforcement Team (JET) would be responsible for enforcement, as bus stop clearways are a civil enforcement matter.

    The Local Committee (Reigate & Banstead) AGREED that clearways be introduced at the existing bus stops on the A217 Brighton Road, Lower Kingswood (northbound at Margery Lane and southbound on Tadworth Roundabout), with the following restrictions: “No stopping 7.00am – 7.00pm every day except local buses”.

     

     

     

115/16

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE AND SURREY TRADING STANDARDS WORK IN REIGATE & BANSTEAD 2016 (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 174 KB

    A report to provide an update on the work of Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards Service, particularly within the Borough of Reigate and Banstead in 2016.

     

    Report attached

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: David Bullen, Senior Trading Standards Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

     

    ·         Members were particularly interested to hear about the rollout of Call Blockers to vulnerable elderly people who had been victims of scam phone calls. The Chairman suggested that Trading Standards approach the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner to apply for further funding; the Senior Trading Standards Officer noted this and would take the suggestion back to his colleagues. He emphasised that Call Blockers were available commercially at a cost of around £80-£90, and agreed to forward details of recommended devices to the Committee.

     

    ·         Concerns were raised about the efficacy of Checkatrade. The Senior Trading Standards Officer noted that no system was foolproof, but that Trading Standards carry out enhanced checks over and above those carried out by Checkatrade. Rogue traders were removed from the scheme.

     

    ·         Discussion took place regarding the use of volunteers. The Senior Trading Standards Officer noted that the volunteer scheme had been in place in Buckinghamshire prior to the merger with Surrey, and had been very successful with many volunteers finding it to be a valuable experience. The purpose was to enable the service to carry out work they did not have the resource to otherwise do. He agreed to find out whether any volunteers had found full time work as a result of their experience.

     

    The Local Committee (Reigate & Banstead) NOTED the report.

     

Appendix A pdf icon PDF 1 MB

Appendix B pdf icon PDF 5 MB