Agenda, decisions and minutes

Reigate and Banstead Local Committee
Tuesday, 5 June 2018 2.00 pm

Venue: Reigate Town Hall, Castlefield Road, Reigate, Surrey RH2 0SH

Contact: Sarah Smith, Partnership Committee Officer  Reigate Town Hall, Castlefield Road, Reigate, Surrey RH2 0SH

Items
No. Item

13/18

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

14/18

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

    Minutes:

    1.    The Chairman welcomed the new borough co-optees.

    2.    The Leader of the county council will be holding a session on his new ‘vision’ for Surrey on Friday 29th June in Reigate and all borough councillors will be invited to attend.

    3.    The Chairman reminded members they had been invited to the Junior Citizen VIP event in July.

    4.    He reminded members that proposals for the next parking review should be submitted by end Nov 2018.

    5.    Two new consultations have been opened (a) Low Emissions Strategy and (b) Electric Vehicle strategy. The Partnership Committee Officer to circulate details to members.

    6.    Members were invited to view the information on display regarding a possible  change to LED street lighting.

    7.    The Chairman reminded members of the need to ensure that they spend their community and highways allocations.

15/18

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 214 KB

16/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter:

     

        (i)        Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

       (ii)        Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

     

    NOTES:

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

    ·         As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Members is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

    ·         Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial

    Minutes:

    No declarations of interest were received.

17/18

PETITIONS

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting. Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    Minutes:

    No petitions were received.

18/18

FORMAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 53 KB

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Reigate and Banstead Borough area in accordance with Standing Order 69. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer by 12 noon 4 working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    1.    Mr Iain Gordon had submitted a written question to the Local Committee and received a response in advance of the meeting. (see supplementary papers).

     

    2.    As a supplementary question Mr Gordon asked for clarification on whether the signage was enforceable. He had been informed in 2015 that it was and subsequently that it was not.

     

    3.    The divisional member for Horley East, who had been the portfolio holder for parking at the borough council 2017-18, explained that there had been an issue with enforcement. Going forward the Joint Enforcement Team might be able to take this on however they were still waiting for the necessary obstructive vehicles powers to be transferred from the police. The Chairman agreed to write to the Chief Constable on this matter and that the committee would endeavour to provide Mr Gordon with a response to his question within 2 weeks.

     

     

19/18

FORMAL MEMBER QUESTIONS

20/18

HIGHWAYS UPDATE REPORT [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 468 KB

    To inform the Local Committee on the progress of the 2018/19 Integrated Transport and highways maintenance programmes in Reigate and Banstead.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of interest: None

     

    Officers in attendance: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager

     

    Public questions, petitions or statements: None

     

     

    Member discussion highlights:

     

    1.    The £1,000 budget for speed limit assessments was sufficient for approximately six in 2018/19 based on an average cost of £180 for the tubes.

    2.    (Refer 2.7) Only some sections of the A23 shared cycle way had bollards to prevent parking. It had not been necessary to install them in those areas where there were no parking issues or the path was wide enough for vehicles to park. This would be considered as part of the safety audit.

    3.    The maintenance gang did not carry out patching on the footway; this was done by Kier. Members could use some of their £7500 highway allocations to fund this work.

    4.    The Cabinet Lead Member for Place would be compiling a document for members, with information on the work of the revenue maintenance gang. Of the £100,000 allocated in the budget approx. £70,000 funded a full-time gang for mostly off highway works across the borough. The remaining £30,000 (approx) paid for materials.

    5.    M25 junction 8 – members were disappointed that Highways England seemed to be moving ahead with this and the A23 Brighton Road, Hooley schemes irrespective of the objections and concerns they had expressed to its representatives at the recent informal local committee meeting.

    6.    In particular members were concerned about the impact that the planned changes would have on local traffic flow. There was no county funding available to manage the resulting bottle necks for example on Reigate Hill. The Chairman agreed to write to Highways England to set out the local committee’s concerns.

    7.    Officers were aware of the damage that had been done by HGVs to the central verge on the A217 in Lower Kingswood. Officers were considering possible traffic management options to allow reinstatement works to take place.

    8.    Members asked about the amount of funding had been allocated to implement the NCR21 diversion across the footbridge at Salfords Station and whether there were plans to connect the new cycle route on the A23 to Epsom hospital.

    9.    The AHM agreed to check with the relevant teams on these points and report back to members.

    10.  Members highlighted the fact that some of the lining work from the parking review 2016-17 still had not been implemented and asked that the parking team report back on which measures were still outstanding and when they would be completed.

    11.  Members were aware of the difficulties posed by parked vehicles in preventing this work being completed but urged officers to revise their approach in either removing vehicles if possible or through enforcement. The AHM agreed to pass on to the parking team a suggestion to put down cones before commuters arrive.

    12.  A second sinkhole has appeared in Victoria Road, Horley and the Asset Team are in discussion with the Utilities. The Chairman was hoping to have a meeting with SESW representatives and divisional members  ...  view the full minutes text for item 20/18

21/18

COMMUNITY SAFETY FUNDING AND APPOINTMENT OF MEMBERS TO TASK GROUPS AND OUTSIDE BODIES [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 256 KB

    The local committee (Reigate and Banstead) has a delegated budget of £3,000 for community safety projects in 2018/19. This report sets out the process by which this funding should be allocated to the East Surrey Community Safety Partnership and/or other local community organisations that promote the safety and wellbeing of residents.

     

    The report also seeks approval of the terms of reference of the Local Committee task groups and their membership as well as the appointment of representatives to external bodies.

     

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Reigate & Banstead) agreed:

     

    (i)                    The committee’s delegated community safety budget of £3,000 for 2018/19 be retained by the Community Partnership Team, on behalf of the Local/Joint Committee, and that the Community Safety Partnership and/or other local organisations be invited to submit proposals for funding that meet the criteria and principles set out at paragraph 2.4 of this report.

    (ii)                   Authority be delegated to the Community Safety Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the local committee, to authorise the expenditure of the community safety budget in accordance with the criteria and principles stated at paragraph 2.4 of this report.

    (iii)                   The committee receives updates on the project(s) funded, the outcomes and the impact it has achieved.

    (iv)                   The committee approves the terms of reference and membership of the task groups and appointments to outside bodies, as detailed at paragraphs 2.8 and annex 1 of this report.

     

    Minutes:

     

    Declarations of interest: None

     

    Officer in attendance: Sarah J Smith

     

    Public questions, petitions or statements: None

     

     

    1.    Members agreed that Mrs Thomson should be appointed as committee representative on the East Surrey Community Safety Partnership and Mrs Hammond was appointed as substitute.

    2.    Members were reminded that it had been agreed at the previous meeting on 05 March 2018 that the Chairman and Mrs Hammond should continue as committee representatives on the Early Help Advisory Board.

    3.    It was agreed the county membership of the Greater Redhill STP task group should remain unchanged: Mrs Thomson, Mrs Bramhall, Mr Essex and Mrs Hammond. Cllr Schofield, Cllr Blacker and Cllr Stephenson were appointed as borough members.

    4.    The Chairman proposed a change (seconded by Mrs Grant Duff) to the ToR for the parking task group to allow for four county members; Mrs Thomson, Mrs Bramhall, Mrs Grant-Duff and Mr Knight were duly appointed as were borough members Cllr Owen, Cllr Blacker and Cllr Jonathan C White.

     

     

     

     

     

     

    The Local Committee (Reigate & Banstead) agreed:

     

    (i)                    The committee’s delegated community safety budget of £3,000 for 2018/19 be retained by the Community Partnership Team, on behalf of the Local/Joint Committee, and that the Community Safety Partnership and/or other local organisations be invited to submit proposals for funding that meet the criteria and principles set out at paragraph 2.4 of this report.

    (ii)                   Authority be delegated to the Community Safety Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the local committee, to authorise the expenditure of the community safety budget in accordance with the criteria and principles stated at paragraph 2.4 of this report.

    (iii)                   The committee receives updates on the project(s) funded, the outcomes and the impact it has achieved.

    (iv)                   The committee approves the terms of reference and membership of the task groups and appointments to outside bodies, as detailed at paragraphs 2.8 and annex 1 of this report.

     

22/18

RECOMMENDATIONS AND DECISIONS TRACKER [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 294 KB