Agenda, decisions and minutes

Tandridge Local Committee
Friday, 26 June 2015 10.15 am

Venue: Tandridge District Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey, RH8 0BT

Contact: Sarah Woodworth, Community Partnership and Committee Officer  Tandridge District Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey, RH8 0BT

Items
No. Item

1/15

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

2/15

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 216 KB

3/15

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    To receive any declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests from Members in respect of any item to be considered at the meeting.

     

    Notes:

    ·        In line with the Relevant Authorities (Disclosable Pecuniary Interests) Regulations 2012, declarations may relate to the interest of the member, or the member’s spouse or civil partner, or a person with whom the member is living as husband or wife, or a person with whom the member is living as if they were civil partners and the member is aware they have the interest.

     

    ·        Members need only disclose interests not currently listed on the Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests.

     

    ·        Members must notify the Monitoring Officer of any interests disclosed at the meeting so they may be added to the Register.

     

    ·        Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

     

    Minutes:

    Mr John Orrick declared a pecuniary interest for Item 8; this was declared in item 8 discussion.

4/15

PETITIONS pdf icon PDF 111 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting. Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    One petition was received.

     

    The petition and response are attached to the minutes as Appendix A.

     

    Mr Ray Haffner presented a petition of 35 signatures asking for the speed in the section of Titsey Road, Limpsfield between Sandy Lane and Postings Hill to be reduced from 40mph to 30mph.

     

    The Chairman referred the Petitioner to the written response.

     

    Mr Haffner was in attendance and presented the petition. He raised concerns that Titsey Road had a narrow carriageway with only a short section of footway outside numbers 2 to 16 and expressed concern about the safety of local residents.

     

    The Area Highways Manager advised that this matter has been investigated, and can appreciate the residents’ concerns.  The speed limit on Titsey Road north of the 30mph section has recently been reduced to 40mph, and this needs to be monitored in accordance with Surrey’s Speed Limit Policy before any further changes can be considered. Surrey Police have advised that the road needs to look and feel like a 30mph road for a reduced speed limit to be effective. 

     

    The Area Highways Manager advised that it could be possible to put in a vehicle activated sign (VAS) at the start of the 30mph section of Titsey Road. Mr Haffner felt that a sign near number 42 would not slow traffic down and that the speeds urgently need to be monitored on this stretch of road as it is very dangerous.

     

    Mrs Marks stated that the policy is complicated to understand, and Councillors must also lobby for change.  Mr Skellett agreed that as a local resident he understood the concerns, but unfortunately the Committee does not have the power to change the policy.  The National Association of Chief Police Officers and the Government have agreed that based on research that if you do not change the look and feel of the road, drivers will not change driving speeds and Police have limited resources to enforce speed limits.  However as a Highway Authority the county council can try and change the physical environment to try and give the road the look and feel of a 30mph area, and one way to achieve this may be putting in a ‘welcome to the village’ sign to help. 

     

    Sophie Cross, a neighbour, advised that the concern is between the two bends in the road, with some young drivers using the road as a race track.

    The Committee asked the Area Highways Manager to look into using Road Safety money to fund signage and conduct a speed survey.  The Members agreed that Officers would raise concerns about speeding traffic with the Police and carry out a speed survey to measure traffic speeds on the 30mph section of Titsey Road.

     

     

     

5/15

FORMAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 383 KB

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Tandridge District area in accordance with Standing Order 69. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Three formal public questions were received. The written responses are attached to the minutes as Appendix B.

     

    Question 1

     

    Ann Osborne and two children from Limpsfield C of E infant school presented their question to the Local Committee.  The school previously attended the committee’s meeting in March 2014 with a petition of 160 signatures asking for the speed limit on the A25 Westerham Road outside their school to be reduced.  At this meeting, the children asked for an update on the situation.

     

    The Area Highways Manager responded that she understood the situation, but that Surrey Police have advised that the physical environment must change for drivers to change their speed because 30mph signs on their own are not be enough to change the speed of traffic. 

     

    The Chairman advised that the Committee completely agreed with the children but said that the current rules say that the speed limit cannot be changed.  The Committee agreed they would appeal to the Surrey County Council Cabinet Member for Highways, Transport and Flooding to make an exception and look at putting in a Vehicle Activated Sign (VAS). 

     

    Ms Osborne stated that should the two lollipop ladies leave then there would be no other means of slowing down the traffic.  She asked how long the process would take should the Cabinet Member agree to the exception.  The Area Highways Manager advised that the process could take up to 9 months from the time it was referred to the Cabinet Member.

     

    Mr Skellett advised that the Committee would do their upmost to push through a speed limit reduction to 30mph on this section of the A25 Westerham Road.  Mrs Marks commented that she would support a formal question, should it be asked at Cabinet.

     

    Question 2

     

    Sue Batley and Sarah North asked on behalf of ‘Parents Against Closure of Hurst Green Children’s Centre’ if the Committee would support them in campaigning against any proposed closure of the children’s centre.  Ms Batley a volunteer at the centre felt that it was not logical to close a cost effective centre. 

     

    Mr Skellett advised that the Local Committee was very supportive of the children’s centre and will continue to promote this message with the aim of avoiding closure.  He highlighted that the written response was from officers and provides the facts.  Mr Skellett agreed that it was appalling to have a list for closure before a consultation.

     

    The Committee agreed that the Chairman would write another letter to Cabinet expressing their concern, and that staff do not feel they can speak openly about their concerns.

     

    Question 3

     

    Mr and Mrs Lewis had submitted a written question asking for the introduction of a safe crossing point on West Hill Bank. The Chairman referred Mrs Lewis to the written response. Mrs Lewis then asked the committee how a wheelchair user should cross the road at this point on the A25.

     

    The Area Highways Manager agreed it is very difficult for the residents in this area to cross the road, as there  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5/15

6/15

MEMBERS QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 66 KB

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.  Notice should be given in writing to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer of formal questions by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    One Member question from Mr Nick Skellett was submitted and no questions were asked informally at the meeting.

     

    The written response is attached to the minutes as Appendix C.

     

    Mr Skellett was pleased with the response provided.

     

     

     

7/15

LOCAL COMMITTEE & MEMBERS ALLOCATION FUNDING UPDATE pdf icon PDF 155 KB

    Surrey County Council Councillors receive funding to spend on local projects that help to promote social, economic or environmental well-being in the neighbourhoods and communities of Surrey. This funding is known as Members’ Allocation.

     

    For the financial year 2015/16 the County Council has allocated £10,296 revenue funding to each County Councillor. This report provides an update on the projects that have been funded since April 2015 to date.

    (Report and annex attached).

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

     

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Sandra Brown, Community Partnership Team Leader- East

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Members Discussion – Key Points

     

    ·         Members agreed to note the report.

     

    Resolution:

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

    (i)    NOTED the amounts that have been spent from the Members’ Allocation and Local Committee capital budgets, as set out in Annex 1 of this report.

     

8/15

LIBRARY OPENING HOURS pdf icon PDF 249 KB

    In its search for continuous improvement, and to reduce costs, the library service has recently completed a review which achieves a reduction in the library service’s staffing budget of £227,000 for 2015-16 while seeking to retain and improve current levels of service.

     

    In addition to other elements, the review looked at the opening hours for all the Group C community libraries, which for Tandridge, includes Caterham Hill library. 

     

    The opening hours of the Community Partnered Libraries (CPLs) are out of scope, as opening hours are set by local steering groups, within an agreed framework with local committees as set out in the county council’s Constitution.

     

    (Report and annex attached).

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Tandridge) resolved to agree:

     

    (i) the proposed changes to opening hours for Caterham Hill library, as set out in section 9 of the report and Annex One.

    Minutes:

    Declaration of Interest: Mr Orrick declared a pecuniary interest during the item and abstained from the vote

     

    Officers attending: Kelly Saini Badwal, Senior Manager, Customer Network and Rose Wilson, Library Operations Manager.

     

    The Officer presented the report to the Committee as part of the library service staffing review.  Caterham Hill library is the only library in Tandridge where change is being proposed to the opening hours. The Senior Manager, Customer Network,  highlighted that the total number of hours remains the same at 30 hours per week, but the pattern of the hours will change.

     

    Members Discussion – Key points

     

    ·         Members were disappointed that staff at the library had been advised that they could not speak with Councillors about the staffing review.   Members were keen that county council staff should be able to discuss issues affecting service quality with councillors. Members agreed to write to David McNulty on their concerns of staff not being able to contact and talk to their local Councillor.

    ·         Mrs Marks stated that she was happy with the report and that she was pleased to see the library open on a Monday.

    ·         Mr Skellett asked for clarification of sustainability of new regime. The Service attempted to make savings of £227,000 by looking at job roles and distribution.  Through this review the service has retained opening hours, but not lost the full time equivalent.  In response to concerns raised about the quality and timeliness of communication from managers with staff, the Library Operations Manager advised that any review is difficult and there has been as much communication as possible, with staff involvement in workshops, and regular scheduled meetings with the relevant trade unions (UNISON and GMB).

    ·         Mr Sydney stated he had concerns regarding the process and consultation involving staff.   The Officer responded that the aim was to keep as many people in post as possible, following the county council’s ‘Managing Change’ process. Where an issue was identified recently in relation to how staff had been notified of the possibility of redundancy, the service agreed with the trade unions to provide clarification in the staff bulletin.   Mr Sydney also asked if library users had been consulted.  The Officer advised that visit data was used, as well as the results from a prior ‘lapsed user’ survey and that the review had tried to address the survey’s findings that customers found the various patterns for opening hours confusing.  The Officers present agreed to monitor visits under the new opening hours and to return to the committee in 12 months with the results.  

    ·         The Committee wished to minute their concerns of how the review has been conducted, whilst they appreciate the difficulties inherent in conducting such a large-scale staffing review, but equally they are aware that some staff are unhappy with the way the review has been communicated to them.

    ·         Mrs Marks felt that it was important for the Service to communicate the changes with the Parish Councils.

     

    A vote was taken on whether to agree the recommendation in  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8/15

9/15

REPRESENTATION ON YOUTH TASK GROUP, COMMUNITY SAFETY PARTNERSHIP AND FUNDING pdf icon PDF 108 KB

    The Local Committee is asked to review and agree the terms of reference and membership of the Youth Task Group for 2015-16 and appoint representation to the East Surrey Community Safety Partnership.

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge) has been delegated £3,337 to support community safety work in the district; this money requires Local Committee agreement to be delegated for use by the East Surrey Community Safety Partnership.

     

    (Report and Annex attached).

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Tandridge) resolved to agree:

     

        i).        The terms of reference of the Youth Task Group, as set out in Annex 1.

       ii).        The membership of the Youth task group and the representative on the East Surrey Community Safety Partnership for 2015/16.

      iii).        That the community safety budget of£3,337 that has been delegated to the Local Committee, be transferred to the East Surrey Community Safety Partnership for the purpose of addressing the criteria and monitoring requirements detailed in paragraphs 2.3 to 2.7 of this report; and that the Community Partnership Manager authorises its expenditure in accordance with the Local Committee's decision.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Victoria Eade, Community Partnership Officer (Tandridge)

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Chairman introduced the report. The Community Partnership Officer drew members’ attention to the addition of point 2.2 in the Terms of Reference, as a means of enabling the Task Group to draw upon local expertise and knowledge.

     

    Members Discussion – Key points

    ·         Mr Skellett confirmed that current Members of the Youth Task group were all happy to continue to be on the group:

     

    Mr Nick Skellett (Chair)

    Mrs Sally Marks

    Mr John Orrick

    District Councillor Jill Caudle

    District Councillor Rose Thorn

     

    ·         Members welcomed the change in 2.2 of the Terms of Reference.

    ·         Mr Skellett is looking to link the Youth Task Group with aspects of the Community Safety Partnership.

    ·         Members asked that a report be brought back to the Committee to update all on how the funding will be used for the East Surrey Community Safety Partnership.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

        i).        AGREED the terms of reference of the Youth Task Group, as set out in Annex 1.

       ii).        AGREED the membership of the Youth task group and the representative on the East Surrey Community Safety Partnership for 2015/16.

      iii).        AGREED that the community safety budget of£3,337 that has been delegated to the Local Committee, be transferred to the East Surrey Community Safety Partnership for the purpose of addressing the criteria and monitoring requirements detailed in paragraphs 2.3 to 2.7 of this report; and that the Community Partnership Manager authorises its expenditure in accordance with the Local Committee's decision.

     

10/15

HIGHWAYS SCHEMES UPDATE 2015/16 pdf icon PDF 146 KB

    At the 12th December 2014 Local Committee, Members agreed a programme of revenue and capital highway works in Tandridge.  An amended programme of works was agreed on 20th March 2015 to take account of the reduced revenue budget.  Delegated authority was given to enable the forward programme to be progressed without the need to bring further reports to the Local Committee for decision.  This report sets out recent progress.  The report also updates Members on the number of enquiries received from customers.

     

    (Report and Annex attached).

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager (South East) and Philippa Gates, Assistant Highway Engineer.

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements:

     

    Local resident Peter Forbes, on behalf Nutfield Conservation Society asked a question. He referred to his request for a reduced speed limit on the A25 Nutfield Road and requesting moving the 30mph sign further towards the Tandridge/Reigate and Banstead boundary.  The Officer advised that the speed survey on the A25 Nutfield Road had been carried out in the past two weeks and Highways were awaiting the results.  His request to move the 30mph terminal sign would be considered when the survey results were available.

     

    District Councillor Simon Morrow asked about the current status and timescales for Farleigh Road/Harrow Road in Warlingham. Mr Skellett advised that the statutory consultation had finished and as Chairman, he along with the Vice Chairman and Divisional Member has reviewed the objections, with some objections being upheld. It is anticipated that this scheme will be implemented in quarter 3-4 of 2015/16.

     

    It was advised that due a technical error the Annex for this report appears twice in the agenda.  An update on the capital ITS maintenance scheme (LSR/Footways) was provided at the meeting in the supplementary paper.

     

    Members Discussion – Key Points

    ·         Mrs Windsor expressed concern regarding Outwood Lane, it is in very poor condition and there is a lot of unhappiness.  Officers agreed to discuss in further detail outside the meeting.

    ·         Mr Sydney highlighted that the A264 junction in Felbridge was not mentioned on the report and this is a major issue.  The Officer advised that this is too expensive for the Local Committee budget.  Officer will discuss with the Member outside of the meeting.

    ·         The Officer asked Members to write to her to highlight anything which is missing from the list in their division.

     

    Sally Marks left the meeting at 11.30am for County Business.

     

11/15

REVIEW OF COLD WEATHER PLAN AND WINTER SERVICE ARRANGEMENTS pdf icon PDF 104 KB

    Surrey undertakes an annual review of the Highways Cold Weather Plan and winter service at the end of each winter season, including the effectiveness of network coverage, operational improvements, organisational changes and partnership working arrangements.  This report seeks the views of the (Tandridge) Local Committee on the delivery of the Winter Service operations in the 2014/15 season, to feedback into the annual review.

     

    (Report attached).

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Members Discussion – Key Points

    ·         The Chairman asked all Members to check the priority routes for gritting with the Parishes and advise the Area Highways Manager if any changes required.  The Officer will send the updated map to Members for this action.

12/15

ROLE OF COUNTRYSIDE ACCESS MAINTENANCE AND ENFORCEMENT TEAM IN TANDRIDGE

    An Officer from the Countryside Access Maintenance and Enforcement Team will provide information on the team’s role with regards to the maintenance and protection of Public Rights of Way/Countryside Access in Tandridge.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Claire Saunders, Senior Countryside Access Officer Maintenance and Enforcement

     

    The Senior Countryside Access Officer attended the meeting to inform the Committee and residents on the duties of the team and answer questions from Members and the public.

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements:

     

    Mrs Windsor asked a question on behalf of Mrs Ingleby, a Surrey resident whose horses are stabled in Godstone,  regarding fallen branches on bridleway 264 which are blocking access for horse riders, and that there have also been problems with fly tipping.

     

    Mrs Windsor commented that she has advised Mrs Ingleby that fly tipping should be reported to Tandridge District Council.  

     

    The Officer advised that each Area Officer has 850km of footpaths and bridleways to monitor, and that this was extremely challenging. The Officer confirmed that new software for reporting issues affecting public footpaths/bridleways is being introduced, and the Officer apologised that as Mrs Ingleby’s report came through on the previous system, there had been a delay processing it. The Officer stated that while the trees are not a County Council responsibility, the County Council is responsible for ensuring that network of public footpaths and bridleways are kept clear.   The Officer confirmed that they were in discussion with the landowner at that moment, and that the branches would be removed that day.  Local residents present at the meeting advised that they had already removed the branches themselves.

     

    The Officer advised that there are now 50 volunteer wardens helping with managing the paths.

     

    In response to a question from resident Amanda Skinner, the Officer advised that Priority 1 would include bridges, mines etc.  The fallen branches on bridleway 264 were passable by cyclists and pedestrians but not horse riders.

     

    Members Discussion – Key Points

     

    ·         Mr Skellett asked how residents could report blockages.  The Officer advised that this could be done through the Contact Centre, via email or through ‘report a fault’ on the Surrey Website.  If an issue of fly tipping was also reported then this would be passed to the District.  Should people wish to speak to a member of staff to report a matter they could call the contact centre.