Agenda, decisions and minutes

Tandridge Local Committee
Wednesday, 23 March 2016 2.30 pm

Venue: Tandridge District Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey, RH8 0BT

Contact: Sarah Woodworth, Community Partnership and Committee Officer  Tandridge District Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey, RH8 0BT

Items
No. Item

44/16

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

45/16

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 291 KB

46/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    To receive any declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests from Members in respect of any item to be considered at the meeting.

     

    Notes:

    ·        In line with the Relevant Authorities (Disclosable Pecuniary Interests) Regulations 2012, declarations may relate to the interest of the member, or the member’s spouse or civil partner, or a person with whom the member is living as husband or wife, or a person with whom the member is living as if they were civil partners and the member is aware they have the interest.

     

    ·        Members need only disclose interests not currently listed on the Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests.

     

    ·        Members must notify the Monitoring Officer of any interests disclosed at the meeting so they may be added to the Register.

     

    ·        Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

     

    Minutes:

    None received.

47/16

PETITIONS pdf icon PDF 70 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting. Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    One petition was received from Mrs Donna Carman regarding the proposed closure of St Silvan’s Car park, Staffhurst wood, Oxted signed by 500 residents.

     

    The petition and response were tabled at the meeting.  Since the petition deadline, in a discussion between local residents, Surrey Wildlife Trust and Surrey County Council it had been agreed to keep the car park open.

     

    Mrs Carman wished to thank all those who have helped keep the 8 space car park open.  She would continue to work with Surrey Wildlife Trust to find an alternative future funding source.

     

    The Chairman thanked Mrs Carman for attending the meeting and for the work she had done to keep the car park open for users.

     

     

     

     

     

48/16

FORMAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 214 KB

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Tandridge District area in accordance with Standing Order 69. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    2 formal public questions were received.

     

    Question 1

     

    Mr Clark of Grange Road, Caterham submitted a question on parking on the road. Mr Clark was unable to attend.  Mrs Marks, the Divisional Member felt that it would be appropriate to monitor after one year to see if there had been an impact.

     

    Question 2

     

    Nutfield Parish Council were unable to attend the meeting but had been provided with a written response to their question regarding the request for 20mph on Mid Street.  Divisional Member Mrs Windsor, queried when the bollards would be in place outside the village hall?  The Principal Highways Engineer advised that it should be completed this financial year.  With regards to the speed survey Mrs Windsor advised that she was looking forward to seeing the results.

     

     

49/16

MEMBERS QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 89 KB

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.  Notice should be given in writing to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer of formal questions by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Three Member Questions were formally submitted.

     

    Question 1

     

    Mr Sydney raised a question regarding the footway programme, and the roads in the Tandridge area.  Mr Sydney had no further questions, but the Chairman and Vice Chairman wished to thank the Leader for this initiative.  Mr Hodge advised that 61 of the 81 Divisions in the County would benefit from the programme next year.  Officers have made decision for this programme based each footway category.  Members asked if it would be possible to discuss this at a private meeting as to what they footways they would like on the list.  Mrs Windsor suggested it may be helpful for Members to input local knowledge.

     

    Question 2

     

    Mr Sydney raised a question regarding his concerns for the A22/A264 and an Expression of Interest being submitted for the LEP fund.  He noted the response however would like confirmation that the scheme would definitely be on the list.  He requested the Committee asked the Asset Management Team to confirm if the A22/A264 is on the list and what objective do they have for the junction as the closing date for Expressions of Interests is the 31 March 2016.

     

    Question 3

     

    Mr Skellett asked a question regarding the option of rumble strips on Titsey Road.  Mr Skellett thanked officers for the response and was in agreement that rumble strips could only be placed on the north side.  The Area Highways Manager advised that rumble strips can be noisy and asked if he would be happy if the team looked at other options as well such as white lining.  The Chairman allowed local resident Mr Haffner to speak during this item.  Mr Haffner was concerned that the lines would not reduce speeds as much as the rumble strips as drivers react to the noise.  Mr Skellett noted his concerns and asked the Highways team to look in to all options.

50/16

LOCAL COMMITTEE DECISION TRACKER (INFORMATION ITEM) pdf icon PDF 154 KB

    This document provides an update on the decisions made at previous meetings of the Tandridge Local Committee starting from June 2015.

     

    (Report attached)

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Sarah Woodworth, Community Partnership and Committee Officer

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Chairman introduced the item explaining that this would be a public document that would track actions agreed by the Committee which would not be captured in recommendations of reports.  For example actions arising from petitions or public questions.

     

    Members Discussion – Key Points

     

    ·         Mr Sydney updated all on his meeting with the Senior Countryside Access Officer regarding a request from Horne Parish Council to make Bridleway Open to All Traffic (BOAT) 329 in Horne to a bridleway.  He explained that this could not be done for legal reasons however he has agreed to purchase two signs to show drivers/users the risk involved in using the bridleway.  The Parish Council seemed happy with this option as a way forward.  Mrs Windsor asked to be kept informed with any developments as also affects her Division.

     

51/16

MEMBERS ALLOCATIONS SUMMARY (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 151 KB

    Surrey County Council Councillors receive funding to spend on local projects that help to promote social, economic or environmental well-being in the neighbourhoods and communities of Surrey. This funding is known as Members’ Allocation.

     

    For the financial year 2015/16 the County Council has allocated £10,296 revenue funding to each County Councillor. This report provides an update on the projects for this financial year.


    (Report and annex attached).

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Sarah Woodworth, Community Partnership and Committee Officer

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Members Discussion – Key Points

     

    ·         Members agreed to note the report.

    ·         Mrs Marks stated she was pleased to see that all Members had spent their allocation in their community to benefit a range of causes.  It was requested that the Community Partnership Team  report to the public the excellent projects that have been given money in the financial year. Mr Orrick echoed this request.

    ·         Mr Hodge agreed that it was important to show that in a time when the Council are needing to make a £108m worth of savings next financial year that Members Allocations makes a big difference to communities locally.

    ·         Mr Skellett asked Highways to confirm figures with regards to funding for Highways England and Local Councils.  96% of the highway network is to be maintained by Local Councils, however are allocated £6bn.  Highways England maintain approximately 4% yet are allocated £19bn. 

    ·         Mr Skellett asked the Committee if they would support him in a discussion with the Alzheimer’s Society to set up a ‘Singing for the Brain’ group in the north of Tandridge.  The Committee agreed.

    ·         Mr Sydney encouraged local communities to apply to the Gatwick Airport Community Trust fund.  Applications from the Tandridge area are very low and it could benefit local projects.

    Resolution:

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

         i).        NOTED the Members’ Allocation applications received and amounts spent, where indicated, as set out in Annex 1 of this report.

     

52/16

TRADING STANDARDS ANNUAL UPDATE (INFORMATION REPORT) pdf icon PDF 150 KB

    A report to provide an update on the work of Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards Service, particularly within the District of Tandridge in 2015.

     

    (Report attached)

     

    Minutes:

     

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Charlotte Keene, Senior Trading Standards Officer

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Chairman welcomed the Officer to the meeting, asking to highlight key areas in the report. 

     

    The Officer stated that since submitting the report Surrey and Buckinghamshire Trading Standards had received two awards in the IESE Awards 2016 awarded by the National Improvement and Efficiency Social Enterprise.

     

    Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards won two silver awards for the Remodelling Local Services and the Working Together categories.

     

    The judges recognised that, by sharing collective experience and expertise, Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards had successfully redesigned services into a more efficient joint operation, giving consumers access to stronger safeguards and providing businesses with better services at a lower cost to the taxpayer.

     

    The Officer explained her role was to support the Tandridge Members and happy to assist with matters affecting residents in their Divisions.

     

    Members Discussion – Key Points

     

    ·         Mr Hodge asked if the Officer could look in 260 Hillbury Road as he and local residents are concerned that business or a number of businesses are being run from the property.  This is against the planning application which was approved that this would be a residential property. The Officer advised she would look into this matter and advise Mr Hodge.

    ·         Mr Orrick raised concern over a car company on Coulsdon Road, Caterham which rents vans and cars.  Although the vehicles are taxed the business parks the cars on the road which means that residents cannot park outside their own properties.  He asked if anything could be done as causing an issue for residents. The Officer advised she would be happy to discuss with the Member.

    ·         Mrs Marks commented that she was surprised to see so few Eat out, eat well in Tandridge.

    ·         Mr Skellett referred to the data for the scams hub in 1.5 of the report, asking who captures this data.  The Officer advised that since the report was submitted the figure for Tandridge is more likely to be around 20 scam victims.  The data is captures by the National Scam Team who provide the information to Surrey. This is intelligence lead where by companies are identified and their post intercepted.

    ·         Mr Orrick thanked the Officer for the email updates on Trading Standards matters as were very helpful. 

    ·         The Chairman thanked the Officer for the report and congratulated the team on the two awards.  Mrs Marks echoed this and asked that next year would it be possible to have more outcomes in the report and detail so the committee could see what had happened as a consequence of Trading Standards intervention.

    Resolution:

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

    NOTED that Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards Service:

     

    (i)      Reacts to any local issues specifically drawn to Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards in respect of Tandridge consumer issues.       

    (ii)    Responds to any Trading Standards and consumer issues highlighted by intelligence gathering and reporting.  This routinely includes the Tandridge local area in any project and routine undertakings including test  ...  view the full minutes text for item 52/16

53/16

SURREY FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE- ANNUAL REPORT (SERVICE MONITORING AND ISSUES OF LOCAL CONCERN) pdf icon PDF 95 KB

    The report contains information on the various activities undertaken by the borough team to reduce the risk from fire, water and road traffic incidents to the residents of the Tandridge District, including direct contact, public education programmes and campaigns.

     

    (Report and annex attached)

     

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Mark Barrett, Acting Borough Commander (Tandridge)

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Chairman welcomed the Officer to the meeting and asked him to highlight key areas of the report.

     

    The Officer explained percentages in Annex 1 in terms of figures and what this meant in real terms for fire data in Tandridge.  The actual figure for fires in dwellings with no smoke detection is 13 homes in Tandridge. With regards to malicious false alarms the total for the year was seven, however against the target this is red.

     

    The Fire and Rescue Service in Tandridge are dealing with more rescue and road traffic incidents call outs than fires. The Officer stressed that Tandridge is a very safe District and very well equipped to deal with all incidents.

    A 4x4 Landrover vehicle is now stationed at both Oxted and Godstone, with a new water carrier coming to Godstone.   The Incident Response Unit has been removed from Godstone however Surrey has stationed an Incident Support Unit to assist with incidents which will need this equipment.  The Officer explained that the Fire and Rescue service are working with the Ambulance service on a co-responders project to improve the quality of service and outcomes for patients at an incident.

     

    Members Discussion – Key points

    ·         Mrs Marks raised concerns regarding the removal of the Incident Response Unit especially with the proximity of Gatwick and the M25.  The Officer advised that Surrey could still contribute during an incident however it is a different configuration.

    ·         Mrs Windsor was please to hear that the Support Unit was being retained at Godstone and more than happy for her details to be passed to the Firefighters in Godstone who wish to contact her as their Divisional Member.

    ·         Mr Hodge advised that Surrey has some of the best equipment in Europe and compared with some of the London Brigades, Surrey is able to deal with incidents quickly and efficiently due to the equipment.

    ·         Mr Orrick asked do we know how many homes in Tandridge do not have a smoke detector?  The Officer estimated that it was approximately 10% however work is being done with visits with Adult Social Care to reduce this figure.

    ·         The Chairman thanked the Officer for attending and the report.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

    (i)    RECOGNISED the achievements of the District teams within Tandridge District and support their commitment to improve initiatives to reduce risk and make Tandridge District safer through the delivery of the District/station plan.          

    (ii)   NOTED the targets and initiatives set within the Tandridge District plan for 2014/15 and support the Fire and Rescue Service in the delivery of this plan.

     

    (iii)  SUPPORTED the achievements of all the personnel at Godstone, Lingfield and Oxted and acknowledge the availability offered by employers who release staff, and those who are self employed.

     

54/16

SCHOOL TRAVEL PLAN REPORT ( FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 114 KB

    This report is provided to raise awareness of the issues school communities face travelling to and from school and the impact School Travel Plans have on the local transport network, including reducing congestion, pollution and road traffic incidents.

     

    (Report and Annexes 1, 2 and 3 attached)

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Luke Forshaw, School Travel Planning Project Officer

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Officer explained that his role is to work with schools across the county on their travel plans.   This is the first time a report has come to the Local Committee and can continue on an annual basis. The report is a public document to encourage more schools to travel sustainably.   This report relates to the 2014/15 school year, in order to show a full year of data. Members are asked to support local schools in travelling sustainably from home to school.

     

    Members Discussion – Key points

    ·         Mr Orrick asked why Audley Primary school, Caterham did not appear on the list for the Golden boot challenge as in previous years they had always been involved.  The Officer advised that he would contact the school to make enquires if they would like to take part this year.

    ·         Mr Hodge asked if there was any cost benefit to residents of Surrey in having a ‘School Travel Plan’.  The Officer advised that due to this being the first year of capturing data we are unable to compare data, however he would produce a report for Members.

    ·         Mr Skellett referred to Oxted County School, Oxted which is now an academy and one of the biggest schools in the County attended by 2300 pupils.  Within 15 minutes of the end of the school day, the roads are clear. A number of pupils take the train to school, walk or catch the bus or coaches which leave from the back of the school.   Although the information is not captured in the report, this is dealt with efficiently.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

    (i)            NOTED School Travel Plans (Tandridge) – Progress Report

     

55/16

HIGHWAYS SCHEMES END OF YEAR 2015/16 UPDATE REPORT (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 160 KB

    To inform the Local Committee on the outcome of the 2015/16 Integrated Transport and highways maintenance schemes programmes in Tandridge.

     

    (Report and Annex 1 attached)

     

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending:Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager (South East) and Anita Guy, Principle Engineer.

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Officer presented the report drawing attention to the ITS improvement schemes that had been progressed in 2015/16 which are listed in 2.2 of the report.

     

     

    Members Discussion – Key points

    ·         Mrs Marks said that she suspected that the increase in complaints shown in table 3 of the report would be linked to the works on the A22 and she completely understood the frustrations of local residents.  Mrs Marks asked if a sign could be put up at Wapses Lodge Roundabout to show any delays as once you commit to travelling southbound there is no exit and it is too late to find an alternative route.   There is currently a sign however it is displaying a ‘test message’ and not local information.  The Officer explained that this was a Strategic Sign for wider network benefits with four signs placed in a diamond shape (with other signs being in Reigate and Banstead) to give information on large events which may affect a journey.

    ·         Mrs Marks also commented on local concern/complaints regarding the phasing of the lights on the M25/A22 roundabout.  The Officer explained that this was due to a fault which is intermittent and Highways England is dealing with the matter.  The Members agreed that a letter should be sent from the Local Committee to express their concern that this matter is taking so long to resolve.

    ·         Mr Hodge thanked Surrey Officers for the work they have done this year.  With regards to the capital ITS improvement scheme, Farleigh Road/Harrow Road Warlingham, Mr Hodge stated that it is important to inform residents of the correct date and there are concerns that the signs are incorrect.

    ·         Mr Hodge referred to the scheme for Tithepit Shaw Lane, Hamsey Green.  Mr Hodge asked whether it  would be appropriate for Lidl to contribute to the scheme, due to the proximity of their proposed supermarket development . The Officer advised that a conversation would need to be had with the Transport Development Planning Team.

    ·         Mr Sydney asked if he could have the details for Blackberry Lane and Crowhurst Road, Lingfield localism initiative in table 1 of the report.

    ·         Mrs Windsor asked with regards to the works on the A22, what are the guarantees from the contractor?  The Officer advised that she would confirm with the project Horizon Team however she believes it is a 10 year guarantee.

    ·         Mrs Windsor wished thank the team from Outwood Parish Council and Nutfield Parish Council for the work on speed limits that have been carried out this year.

    ·         On behalf of all the Committee the Chairman thanked all the officers in the Highway team for their hard work. 

     

56/16

REVISED HIGHWAYS FORWARD PROGRAMME 2016/17 AND 2017/18 (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 125 KB

    In December 2015 Local Committee agreed a programme of highway works in Tandridge for 2016/17 – 2017/18, based on the assumption that the devolved budgets would be the same as those received in 2015/16. 

    (Report and annexes 1 and 2 attached)

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

    (i)    NOTED the contents of the report;

    (ii)   AGREED that the capital Integrated Transport Schemes and Local Structural Repair budgets be revised, as set out in Annex 1 and para. 2.1 of this report; and

    (iii)  AGREED that the revenue maintenance budget be revised, as set out in Annex 2 of this report.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending:Zena Curry, Highways Area Manager (South East) and Anita Guy, Principle Engineer

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Officer advised that there had been a minor change as a reduction in figures as shown in Annex 2 since the report was agreed at the meeting on the 11 December 2014. 

     

     

    Members Discussion – Key points

    ·         Mrs Marks raised concern that a reduction was taken from the drainage budget.  The Officer advised that Virement rules would allow for the Chairman and Vice Chairman to move money from each area as necessary during the year. The Committee was further advised that the Maintenance Engineer also has a small centrally funded budget for drainage works.

    ·         Mr Skellett highlighted that money is also held centrally for different works and programmes in Tandridge.  Members asked if this information could be brought together and made available so Members could see where money had been allocated.

    ·         Mr Sydney commented that he had been to several meetings recently and residents had commented that they felt they Surrey County Council were using tax payers money wisely to improve services.

     

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

    (i)    NOTED the contents of the report;

    (ii)   AGREED that the capital Integrated Transport Schemes and Local Structural Repair budgets be revised, as set out in Annex 1 and para. 2.1 of this report; and

    (iii)  AGREED that the revenue maintenance budget be revised, as set out in Annex 2 of this report.