Agenda, decisions and minutes

Tandridge Local Committee
Friday, 6 December 2019 10.15 am

Venue: Tandridge District Council offices, Station Road East, Oxted, RH8 0BT

Contact: Sarah Woodworth, Partnership Committee Officer  Tandridge District Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey, RH8 0BT

Link: Click here for webcast

Items
No. Item

38/19

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

39/19

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 94 KB

40/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter:

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    Notes:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    None declared.

41/19

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

    To receive any Chairman’s announcements.

    Minutes:

    The Vice-Chairman gave the following announcements:

     

     

    1.    Pre-election period – We are currently in the pre-election period and I am to remind all members that whilst the committee’s business may continue, I would ask everyone to ensure they focus on the business at hand, and to please steer clear of entering into a political discussion.

     

    2.    Following the Cabinet meeting on 26 November 2019, Cabinet agreed to undertake a public consultation on whether Surrey County Council delivers universal open access youth work and to enable the voluntary, community and faith sector to use the youth centres at little or no cost.  The Consultation will begin in mid January 2020.

     

    3.    Imberhorne CRC –An agreement has been signed between West Sussex County and SCC so that Tandridge residents with postcodes, RH7 6, RH10 3, RH19 2, RH19 3, TN8 7, TN8 5 and TN8 6 can continue to recycle as much as possible in a location which is convenient to them.

     

    4.    Last month, Surrey County Council’s Cabinet also decided to keep all 15 of the county’s community recycling centres open and to not charge for wood waste. 

     

     

    A question was raised as to what would happen after March 2020 as the agreement with West Sussex is only for 6 months?  No officer in attendance was able to respond to the question at the meeting, however a response would be circulated after the meeting to Members.

42/19

PETITIONS

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting. Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

     

    No petitions received.

    Minutes:

    None received.

43/19

FORMAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Tandridge District area in accordance with Standing Order 69. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    None received.

44/19

MEMBERS QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 61 KB

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.  Notice should be given in writing to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer of formal questions by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    One question received from Mrs Becky Rush.

     

    Mrs Rush thanked Officers for the response and understood the constraints with budgets.  She asked if the Committee would support her in asking the Chairman to write a letter to the Cabinet Member for Highways to highlight the concerns around drainage and gully cleaning in the Tandridge area.

     

    Members fully supported Mrs Rush’s concerns, and felt that it is the overall system that is not working.  Members suggested that there should be more control of the resource.  In some areas many of the drains are silted up and not cleaned regularly enough, which causes flooding in some properties.

     

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

    (i)            AGREED the Chairman would write a letter to the Cabinet Member for Highways to express the Committee’s concerns on drainage cleaning in Tandridge.

     

     

     

     

45/19

INTRODUCTION TO SCHOOL PLACE PLANNING (FOR INFORMATION)

    Verbal introduction to the new School Place Planning Officer and opportunity for Members to ask questions on the School Place Planning process.

     

    (No report)

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Petitions, Public questions, Statements: Question from Angela Kertcher, from the campaign group ‘Save Warlingham Village Primary School’ asked, why a new site was being sought for Warlingham Village school at the HSG15 (Green Acres) site when a new bigger school would not be required until 2028 and with 400 new homes being built not all the homes would require a primary school place?

     

    The Officer advised that his understanding is that the school would be an expansion of the current school, should the Local Plan be agreed, the area would see an increase of homes in the Warlingham area and children who would require a school place.  He would be happy to discuss the matter outside of the Committee.  Mrs Kertcher welcomed a meeting with the Officer.

     

    Divisional Member for Warlingham, advised that the campaign to save the school was also around the request to protect the ethos of the village school feel by having a one form entry intake. She would also like to take part in the conversations between the Officer and Mrs Kertcher.

     

     

    Officer in attendance: Mike Singleton, Service Manager for School Place Planning and Commissioning.

     

    The Officer provided a verbal overview of key headlines for school place planning in Tandridge:

     

    1.    There is an increase in primary numbers due to housing and birth rates in Tandridge.  The birth rate in the District peaked in 2018 and was at its highest point since 1994, this is bucking the trend for county and national levels.

     

    2.    Anecdotally, the rise could be due to the commuter belt and young families or couples who then start a family, moving from London to Surrey.

     

    3.    Numbers will need to be closely monitored as in some areas in Tandridge there may be an issue around reception places. As parts of the District are rural, working out the numbers required is a complex issue.

     

    4.    In 2023 it is predicted that there will be a deficit in secondary school places for year 7, and this will be monitored going forward.

     

    5.    A decision following the Local Plan enquiry is expected in the New Year.  So unable to comment in any detail.  School place planning is based on forecasts and in regards to housing the data is provided by Tandridge District Council for expected completions of new homes. Should the Local Plan be agreed, the forecast period to 2033 would require 750 extra primary places and 400 extra secondary school places.

     

     

    Members Discussion- Key Points

     

    The following questions were raised:

     

    1.    It was asked as Tandridge is unique as it borders other counties, what is the arrangement for pupils living outside of Surrey attending schools within the County?

     

    The Officer advised that in terms of admissions, there is an admissions process and should a child meet the criteria for the admission process and space is available then they would be offered a place.  The County border is not taken into consideration with regards to distance.  In  ...  view the full minutes text for item 45/19

46/19

DECISION TRACKER (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 271 KB

    This tracker monitors progress against the decisions that the Local Committee has made. It is updated before each committee meeting.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Petitions, Public questions, Statements: None

     

    The Vice-Chairman introduced the item explaining that this document monitors progress against the decisions that the Local Committee has made.

     

    Members Discussion- Key Points

     

    The following points were raised:

     

    1.    Members were pleased to see that Pendell Road works were complete, however requested that the item be kept open on the tracker so the committee could continue to monitor. 

     

    The Vice-Chairman advised that the Parish Council are spending funds to cut back foliage to provide clearer sight lines.

     

    The Senior Highways Engineer advised that all road collisions across the county are monitored every 6 months. The Road Safety Team will also continue to monitor sites following Road Safety improvements for 6 months following a scheme being installed. 

     

    2.    Tandridge Parking Review – Members pleased to see that this is on track to be completed this year.

     

    3.    Members asked for an update on Parking Enforcement arrangements. 

     

    The Vice-Chairman advised that the Parking Manager would be arriving at the meeting shortly and be able to provide the latest information.

     

    4.    It was asked what would happen to the £3000 Community Safety fund which is unspent in Tandridge? 

     

    The Officer advised her understanding was that if no applications were received, then the fund would be returned to SCC central budget.

     

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

    (i)            NOTED the contents of the report

     

    (ii)           AGREED to remove the closed items from the tracker, except Pendell Road which would remain open.

     

     

     

47/19

INSTALLATION OF PARKING METERS ON CROYDON ROAD, CATERHAM (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 83 KB

    To approve a statutory consultation process for the installation of free parking meters at Croydon Road, Caterham near the Square.

     

    (Report attached)

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Tandridge) AGREED:

     

    (i)            The Council advertises its intention to amend traffic orders allowing the   installation of free parking meters for 1 hour time limit with no return within 3 hours in Croydon Road and Godstone Road in the vicinity of The Square, Caterham Valley, and that if no objections are maintained, the order is made.

     

    (ii)           If there are unresolved objections, they will be dealt with in accordance with the County Council’s scheme of delegation by the Parking Strategy and Implementation Team Manager, in consultation with the Chairman/Vice Chairman of this Committee and the appropriate County Councillor.

     

    (iii)          Funding for the project will be made in full by Caterham BID and Tandridge District Council until April 2023.  Arrangements after that time will be made by the Tandridge Local Committee or equivalent body.

     

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Petitions, Public questions, Statements: None

     

    Officer in attendance: David Curl, Parking Strategy and Implementation Team Manager

     

    The Officer introduced the report.

     

    After a discussion with the Caterham BID Manager, it was asked if the Committee would agree to change the no return period in the parking bays in question from 1 hour to 3 hours to allow for more churn.

     

    Members Discussion- Key Points

     

    The following points were raised:

     

    1.    The Divisional Member was extremely pleased with this report and thanked Officers and the Caterham BID Manager for all her hard work to move this forward.  He was pleased to see that free parking would remain in Caterham Valley and this would make a difference to local businesses.

     

    2.    David Lee proposed an amendment to the recommendation to change ‘no return’ from 1 hour to 3 hours.  This was seconded by Chris Botten.

     

    3.    It was asked when the meters would be installed, and would Sevenoaks District Council be carrying out the enforcement?

     

    The Officer advised that the 28 day statutory notice period for a change to a Traffic Regulation Order would start in January and would go into February. The Officer does not believe there would be any substantive objections, it is anticipated that the meters would be installed for March/April time.

     

    With regards to enforcement, the SCC Cabinet Member has agreed to give an agency agreement to Tandridge District Council who will subcontract to Sevenoaks District Council for one year.  This will allow time for a full procurement process to take place. This is being finalised at the moment and the new contract will start in April 2020.

     

    The Caterham BID Manager, thanked the Committee as this will make a difference for residents.

     

    4.    Members raised concerns regarding the current enforcement provider, and the level of service that residents will receive until the end of the financial year.   It was also requested that Members see the accounts and KPI’s for the last two financial years from Reigate and Banstead.

     

    The Officer advised that the SCC Cabinet Member would be speaking to the Leader of Reigate and Banstead and the Chief Executive to ask for a commitment from them to fulfil their contract until the end of March.   The Officer will also ensure the KPI data is provided to Members.

     

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge) AGREED:

     

    (i)            The Council advertises its intention to amend traffic orders allowing the   installation of free parking meters for 1 hour time limit with no return within 3 hours in Croydon Road and Godstone Road in the vicinity of The Square, Caterham Valley, and that if no objections are maintained, the order is made.

     

    (ii)           If there are unresolved objections, they will be dealt with in accordance with the County Council’s scheme of delegation by the Parking Strategy and Implementation Team Manager, in consultation with the Chairman/Vice Chairman of this Committee and the appropriate County Councillor.

     

    (iii)          Funding for the project will be made in full by Caterham BID  ...  view the full minutes text for item 47/19

48/19

HIGHWAYS FORWARD PROGRAMME 2020/21 AND 2021/22 (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 82 KB

    This report seeks approval of a programme of highway works for Tandridge funded from the Local Committee’s delegated capital and revenue budgets.

     

    (Report and Annex 1 attached)

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

    General

     

    (i)            NOTED the Local Committee’s devolved highways budget for capital works in 2020/21, subject to approval by full Council on 10 December 2019, is £166,667.  

    (ii)           AGREED that the devolved capital budget for highway works be used to progress both capital improvement schemes and capital maintenance schemes.

    (iii)          NOTED that should there be any changes to the programme of highway works as set out in this report, a report will be taken to a future meeting of Tandridge Local Committee to inform members of the changes.

     

    Capital Improvement Schemes (ITS)

     

    (iv)       AGREED that the capital improvement schemes allocation for Tandridge be used to progress the Integrated Transport Schemes (ITS) programme set out in Annex 1;

    (v)        AUTHORISED that the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Local Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman, be able to vire money between the schemes agreed in Annex 1, if required;

    (vi)       AGREED that the Local Committee Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Area Team Manager, together with the local divisional Member are able to progress any scheme from the Integrated Transport Schemes programme, including consultation and statutory advertisement that may be required under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, for completion of those schemes.  Where it is agreed that a scheme will not be progressed, this will be reported back to the next formal meeting of the Local Committee for approval.

     

    Capital Maintenance Schemes (LSR)

     

    (vii)      AGREED that the capital maintenance schemes allocation for Tandridge be divided equitably between County Councillors to carry out capital maintenance works in their divisions, and that the schemes to be progressed be agreed by divisional members in consultation with the Area Maintenance Engineer.

     

    Revenue Maintenance

     

    (viii)     NOTED that members will continue to receive a Member Local   Highways Fund allocation of £7,500 per county member to address highway issues in their division; and

    (ix)       AGREED that the Member Local Highways Fund be managed by the Area Maintenance Engineer on behalf of and in consultation with members.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Anita Guy, Principal Highway Maintenance Engineer and Annie-Marie Hannam, Senior Traffic Engineer.

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Senior Traffic Engineer, introduced the report and welcomed questions from the Committee.

     

    The following questions were asked:

     

    1.    What budget would a Vehicle Activated Sign (VAS) come from?

     

    The Officer advised that a brand new VAS, would be funded through the capital forward programme.  Therefore any requests for a VAS would need to be on the ITS list and an officer would need to assess the site to find a suitable location.

     

    2.    What budget would remedial land works, need to come from? Crewe’s Close, Warlingham, the corners have eroded due to lorries turning, an option that has been discussed with residents is laying shingle to allow the lorries to turn.

     

    The Officer advised that this type of scheme could be funded through the Members Capital Fund and the Highways Maintenance Engineer would be contacting all Divisional member shortly to start the discussions as to what they wish to spend their highway allocation on for next financial year. 

     

    3.    It was asked if the £50,000 which was allocated for a scheme in Dormansland but delayed till next year due to utility works would go ahead next financial year. 

     

    The Officer confirmed that it would be constructed in 2020/21.

     

    4.    Concerns raised over Haxted Road, Lingfield which is being used as a diversion route for Moor Lane.  Vehicles are having to mount the verge of road causing it to break up and pot holes are emerging. 

     

    The Officer advised she would speak to the Streetworks Team as the damage is due to the increased traffic on the diversion route from utility works and respond to the member.

     

    5.    It was asked how any improvement works for Wolf’s Hill, Hurst Green would be funded, when the local committee’s funds have been allocated for 2020/21 and 2021/22.

     

    The Officer advised that once the decision has been made, it would then be prioritised for funding on the ITS list. Each scheme is scored on a criteria, which takes into account the local transport plan objectives, this includes reducing congestion, improving accessibility, improving safety, the environment and improving the economy. 

     

    6.    Clarification sought for what Members have and what we can use the different funds for.

     

    The Officer advised that there are two budgets for Members, the Capital Maintenance budget which is £120,000 divided equitably between the 6 members, approximately £17,500 each.  The Highways Maintenance Engineer will discuss with Member how they would like to spend this money.  The other budget for Members is the revenue budget called the Members Highway Fund, which is £7500 each.  Last year Members allocated £6000 to the revenue maintenance gang and Members can do this again, should they wish.  

     

    7.    Query raised around the design of a crossing for Westhall Road, and how this would be funded in the future as over the budget.  When the development was built a condition was  ...  view the full minutes text for item 48/19

49/19

HIGHWAYS UPDATE (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 111 KB

    To inform the Local Committee on the progress of the 2019/20 Integrated Transport and highway maintenance programmes in Tandridge.

     

    (Report and 3 Annexes attached)

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Anita Guy, Principal Highway Maintenance Engineer and Annie-Marie Hannam, Senior Traffic Engineer.

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Officers welcomed questions from the Committee

     

    1.    For the severe weather recovery programme, Farleigh Road in Warlingham the date keeps moving, will it be completed this financial year?  What is the position for the rest of the road?

     

    The Officer would check with the Horizon team and advise members.

     

    2.    In Annex 1, it states the design for Buxton Lane/ Salmon Lane has been completed and sent to the divisional Member for comment, however he has not received it.  The Member felt that this should be a priority as the footpaths and crossing points are for children walking to school safely.

     

    The Officer advised this would be resent for Member comment.

     

    3.    Also referring to Annex 1 on page 37, Buxton Lane and design of a pedestrian island, when will this be complete?

     

    The Officer advised that the design would be completed this financial year and she would discuss with him when it would be constructed. 

     

    4.    Additional signs for Spring Lane, Oxted when will they be installed?

     

    The Officer advised that everything is now in process and should be installed this financial year.

     

    5.    Referring to a drainage scheme in Caterham on the Hill, the Member wished for Officers to pass on his thanks to the Highways Maintenance Engineer for suggesting an initiative.

               

                The Officer advised that the bell bollards have been programmed by the contractor and due to start next week.

     

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge) AGREED:

     

    (i)            To note the contents of the report.

     

50/19

LOCAL COMMITTEE FORWARD PROGRAMME (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 46 KB

    The Committee is asked to note the forward plan for the Committee and propose any items which they would like to see added.

     

    (Forward Plan attached)

     

    Minutes:

    Members of the Committee were invited to suggest additional topics for consideration at future committee meetings.

     

    No suggestions were made.

     

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

    (i)            NOTED the forward plan.