Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Tandridge Local Committee - Friday, 12 February 2021 10.15 am

Venue: Remote meeting

Contact: Sarah Woodworth, Partnership Committee Officer  Tandridge District Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey, RH8 0BT

Link: Click here for webcast

Media

Items
No. Item

1/21

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

    • Share this item

    To receive any apologies.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Apologies received from District Councillor Chris Langton.

2/21

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 229 KB

    • Share this item

    To approve the Minutes of the previous meeting as a correct record.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    There was one comment to the minutes of 6 November 2020;

     

     

    1.         District Councillor Simon Morrow felt that minute 23/20 did not accurately reflect what he thought was agreed at the meeting.  After some discussion, it was agreed that an additional clarification should be added to the minute.

     

    Amendment

     

    District Councillor Simon Morrow asked to see a list of Operation Horizon projects on the agenda.  The Chairman advised that whilst his request is noted, the information is now available to members and residents on the online interactive map and Members should be encouraged to use this function.  The interactive map provides up to date information and support is available to Members to access the interactive map should they need assistance. Cllr Morrow indicated that he would find it helpful to see a simple written list at the next committee in March.  Mrs Becky Rush offered to discuss with Cllr Morrow outside of the meeting to show him the interactive map and advise which roads would be on the list in his ward.

     

     

    It was agreed that with additional clarification on Cllr Simon Morrow comment, that the minutes from the previous meeting on 6 November 2020 were agreed as a true record and will be signed by the Chairman.

3/21

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    • Share this item

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter:

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    Notes:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    None declared.

4/21

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

    • Share this item

    To receive any Chairman’s announcements.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Chairman, wished to make the following announcements;

     

    1.         Parking Enforcement – The Chairman was pleased to announce that Parking Enforcement for on street parking will continue to be carried out by Sevenoaks District Council for the next two years.

     

    2.         Winter Service - The Chairman would like to thank the Highways Teams for their regular communication on the gritting schedule over the winter period and to all who grit the roads especially during this difficult time.

     

    3.         Claire Coutinho MP- The Chairman has invited Claire Coutinho MP to meet with the local committee at a future private meeting to discuss her role on the Local Economic Task Force.  Once a date has been agreed, all members would be informed. 

     

5/21

PETITIONS

    • Share this item

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting. Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    No petitions received.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    No petitions received.

6/21

FORMAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS

    • Share this item

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Tandridge District area in accordance with Standing Order 69. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    No formal public questions received.

7/21

MEMBERS QUESTIONS

    • Share this item

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.  Notice should be given in writing to the Partnership Committee Officer of formal questions by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    No formal Member questions received.

8/21

DECISION TRACKER (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 358 KB

    • Share this item

    This tracker monitors progress against the decisions that the Local Committee has made. It is updated before each committee meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

     

    The Chairman introduced the item explaining that this document monitors the progress against the decisions that the local committee has made.

     

    Members Key points

     

    1.         Mr David Lee asked for clarification and a question on Burntwood Lane, Caterham. If the feasibility study identified that there was no suitable place for a crossing to be installed and ‘slow down’ signs are to be erected at the location due to speeds.  Why have SCC Highways not commented on a planning application for 14 flats at the same location on safety grounds for residents exiting the property?

     

    The Area Highways Manager advised that this was a complex question as there are different safety audits for sight lines for crossing a road and exiting a property.  These are national standards for sight lines and are dependent on the speeds of the road.  The Area Highways Manager offered to discuss outside the meeting with Mr David Lee.

     

    2.         Cllr Simon Morrow, requested that the bus stop clearway lines remain marked as open until they are complete.  

     

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

    (i)            NOTED the contents.

     

    (ii)           AGREED to remove the closed items from the tracker, (except for the bus stop clearways, which would remain for now).

9/21

HIGHWAYS FORWARD PROGRAMME 2021/22 and 2022/23 pdf icon PDF 241 KB

    • Share this item

    This report seeks approval of a programme of highway works for Tandridge funded from the Local Committee’s delegated capital and revenue budgets.

     

    Report and annex attached

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

    General

     

    (i)         NOTED that the Local Committee’s devolved highways budget for capital works in 2021/22 is £537,000.

     

    (ii)        AGREED that the devolved capital budget for highway works be used to progress both    capital improvement schemes and capital maintenance schemes.

     

    (iii)       NOTED that should there be any changes to the programme of highway works as set out in this report, a report will be taken to a future meeting of Tandridge Local Committee to inform members of the changes.

     

    (iv)       AUTHORISED that the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Local Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman, be able to allocate any additional funding for schemes, in accordance with any guidance issued surrounding that funding.

     

     

    Capital Improvement Schemes

     

    (v)        AGREED that the capital improvement schemes allocation for Tandridge be used to progress the Integrated Transport Schemes programme set out in Annex 1.

     

    (vi)       AUTHORISED that the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Local Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman, be able to vire money between the schemes agreed in Annex 1, if required.

     

    (vii)      AGREED that the Local Committee Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Area Highway Team Manager, together with the local divisional Member are able to progress any scheme from the Integrated Transport Schemes programme, including consultation and statutory advertisement that may be required under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, for completion of those schemes.  Where it is agreed that a scheme will not be progressed, this will be reported back to the next formal meeting of the Local Committee for approval.

     

    Capital Maintenance Schemes (LSR)

     

    (viii)     AGREED that the capital maintenance schemes allocation for Tandridge be divided equitably between County Councillors to carry out capital maintenance works in their divisions, and that the schemes to be progressed be agreed by divisional members in consultation with the Area Maintenance Engineer.

     

    Revenue Maintenance

     

    (ix)       NOTED that the members will continue to receive a Member Local Highways Fund (revenue) allocation of £7,500 per county member to address highway issues in their division; and

     

    (x)        AGREED that the Member Local Highways Fund be managed by the Area Maintenance Engineer on behalf of and in consultation with members.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Area Highways Manager introduced the report and explained that following the Full Council Budget Setting meeting on 9 February 2021, there has been a substantial increase to the Local Committee’s devolved highways budget for capital works. For 2021/22 the new budget is £537,000, this includes £296,000 for capital ITS improvement schemes and £241,000 for capital maintenance. This funding will remain the same for three consecutive years. Officers have reviewed the current ITS list and scoring matrix and have recommended schemes that are both feasible and deliverable within the timeframe, in Annex 1.  The Area Highways Manager welcomed questions from the Committee.

     

    Members Key Points:

     

    1.    David Lee asked if the pedestrian crossing proposed on the A22 Godstone Road, Whyteleafe would be installed or is this for future consideration? 

     

    The Area Highways Manager advised that, subject to committee approval, this scheme is for design in year 2 and construction in year 3. She explained that in previous years, the local committee had not had the level of funding required for this type of scheme, however with additional funding over three years, it was now possible for this scheme to be designed and constructed.   Mr David Lee expressed his delight and thanked to the Chairman and Officers for the inclusion of this scheme.

     

    2.    Mrs Becky Rush was thrilled that SCC are able to provide additional funding to Local and Joint Committee’s delegated budgets across Surrey for highway ITS schemes.  It was asked if schemes which had previously been unsuccessful for Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) funding would remain on the ITS ‘wish’ list? 

     

    The Area Highways Manager advised that schemes which have scored highly, but unable to be taken forward due to prioritisation for the available funding levels, are now able to added to the forward programme due to additional funding delegated to the committee.  Schemes which have been unsuccessful for CIL will remain on the ITS wish list and alternative sources of funding will continue to be sought for all schemes.  Subject to committee’s approval of the recommendations, the Area Highways Manager in consultation with the Chairman and Vice Chairman are able to vire funding, so should there be any underspend money on a scheme shown in Annex 1, a smaller scheme may also be implemented this financial year should funding allow.

     

    1. Cllr Morrow, asked if the additional funding of £40,000 for Members Capital Maintenance scheme allocation, would be enough to resurface an average length side road?

     

    The Area Highways Manager advised that this was a substantial increase on funding from last year and, depending on the road base, this funding could cover the cost for resurfacing a road or be used for pavement resurfacing or a drainage scheme.  The Area Highways Manager offered to circulate a document to Members, showing the menu of options for highway works and the approximate costs for works.

     

    Mrs Becky Rush, asked if Cllr Morrow was referring to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9/21

10/21

LOCAL COMMITTEE FORWARD PROGRAMME 2021-22 pdf icon PDF 10 KB

    • Share this item

    The Committee is asked to note the forward plan for the Committee and propose any items which they would like to see added.

     

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Members of the Committee were invited to suggest additional topics for consideration at future committee meetings.

     

    Cllr Simon Morrow commented that the programme felt very sparse and only include highway items.  It did not include any reports on the library transformation programme, education or youth services.

     

    The Partnership Committee Officer advised that the local committee are currently only taking decision items at formal meetings, previously the committee would have also received items for information.  This is a draft plan and should additional decisions need to be taken, they will be brought to the Committee. 

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

    (i)            NOTED the forward plan.