Agenda and draft minutes

People, Performance and Development Committee - Tuesday, 22 September 2020 2.00 pm

Venue: Remote

Contact: Joss Butler 

Media

Items
No. Item

45/19

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTIONS

    • Share this item

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Apologies were received from Colin Kemp. Mary Lewis acted as substitute.

46/19

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETINGS pdf icon PDF 56 KB

47/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    • Share this item

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

     

    (i)         Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)        Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

     

    NOTES:

     

            Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest

            As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

            Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    There were none.

48/19

QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS

    • Share this item

    To receive any questions or petitions.

     

    Notes:

    1.  The deadline for Member’s questions is 12.00pm four working days before the meeting (16 September 2020).

    2.  The deadline for public questions is seven days before the meeting (15 September 2020).

    3.  The deadline for petitions was 14 days before the meeting, and no petitions have been received.

     

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    There were none.

49/19

ACTION REVIEW pdf icon PDF 95 KB

    • Share this item

    For Members to consider and comment on the Committee’s actions tracker.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Witnesses:

     

    None.

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    1.     Members noted that Actions A21/20 and A22/20 were now marked as complete.

     

    Actions/ further information to be provided:

     

    None.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    The Committee noted the actions tracker,

50/19

FORWARD WORK PROGRAMME pdf icon PDF 103 KB

    • Share this item

    For Members to review and comment on upcoming items due for consideration by the People, Performance and Development Committee.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Witnesses:

     

    None.

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    1.     Members noted that three items were scheduled for November 2020 and outlined in Annex 1 of the report.

     

    Actions/ further information to be provided:

     

    None.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    The Committee noted the forward work programme.  

     

51/19

Termination of a member representative and further appointment of a member representative of the Local Pension Board pdf icon PDF 108 KB

    • Share this item

    This report sets out the proposed appointment of an individual member of the Local Pension Board for approval by the People, Performance and Development Committee.

     

    The Local Pension Board is a requirement under section 5 of the Public Service Pensions Act 2013, and Regulation 106 of the Local Government Pension Scheme Regulations 2013.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Witnesses:

    John Smith, Pension Governance and Employer Manager

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1.     The Pension Governance and Employer Manager provided Members with a brief overview of the report and its recommendations.

     

    Actions/ further information to be provided:

     

    None.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    It was agreed that the termination and appointment for a member representative position of the Local Pension Board, as outlined in Annex 1 of the report, was approved.

52/19

Covid-19 - Staff Wellbeing pdf icon PDF 178 KB

    • Share this item

    To provide the Committee with an update on wellbeing provision for staff as we move through the next stages of the Covid-19 pandemic.

     

    To respond to the Committee’s request at its previous meeting for information on how the council has responded to staff displaying ill health during the pandemic as well as to outline the support in place in response to potential delayed effects.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Witnesses:

    Jackie Foglietta, Director – HR&OD

     

    Key points raised during the discussion:

    1. The Director introduced the report and noted that it had been requested at the previous Committee meeting. Members noted the contents of the report and the support which had been provided to staff during the COVID-19 pandemic. Officers highlighted that the decision to allow staff to beginning working from an office was under review following a speech from the Prime Minister which encouraged people to work from home where they can.
    2. A Member of the Committee highlighted that, when visiting front line teams, staff have been positive of the proactivity of managers to talk to them and ask if they are okay. Members further noted that managers should continue to check in on their staff and not assume they are adapting appropriately. Officers stated that specialist training was available to managers and staff in order to support them.
    3. The Committee asked what support was available for senior members of staff. Officers explained that it was recognised that senior staff were mostly in back to back meetings due to their virtual accessibility throughout the day. Leadership training bases around agile working would be made available which will include that it is not expected to be available and in meetings all day.
    4. Members noted that data of absences due to COVID-19 reasons was collected and those who were self-isolating for more that 80 days were presumed to be shielding.
    5. Members asked how many staff had taken on mental health issues while working from home. Officers responded that this information was tracked however there was not current the data to link mental health reasons to COVID-19.
    6. Members stated that they were pleased with the report and agreed to amend the recommendations to reflect this.
    7. The Committee requested an update at the next meeting.

     

    Actions/ further information to be provided:

     

    Members requested to receive a ’COVID – 19 STAFF WELLBEING’ update report at the next meeting.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    The Committee noted the report and were pleased with actions taken by the council to support the wellbeing of staff during the COVID-19 pandemic.

     

53/19

"Our Conversation" Staff Engagement pdf icon PDF 106 KB

    • Share this item

    To provide the Committee with a summary of the results of the “Our Conversation” staff engagement activity undertaken over the past few months.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Witnesses:

    Jackie Foglietta, Director – HR&OD

     

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1. The Director introduced the report and presented the presentation which was attached as Annex 1 of the report. Following the presentation, Members noted that the data was not benchmarkable due to being specific to COVID-19.
    2. Members stated that they were pleased that staff felt more empowered and that this was a positive comment in the report.
    3. The Committee requested data from the staff engagement that was divided between directorates to allow for comparisons. Officers agreed to circulate this outside the meeting following its circulation to the Corporate Leadership Team.
    4. The Committee discussed different ways to incentivise staff to complete staff surveys when they are circulated. Officers explained that there were a number of options to incentivise staff which included the opportunity to win a prize or to ask managers to encourage staff during team meetings.
    5. The Committee noted that there was a communications plan to communicate the staff engagement responses to staff.

     

    Actions/ further information to be provided:

     

    1. The Committee requested data from the staff engagement that was divided between directorates to allow for comparisons. Officers agreed to circulate this outside the meeting following its circulation to the Corporate Leadership Team.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    The Committee noted the report.

     

54/19

EXCLUSION OF THE PUBLIC

    • Share this item

    Recommendation: That under Section 100(A) of the Local Government

    Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information under the relevant paragraphs of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act.

     

     

     

     

    PART TWO – IN PRIVATE

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    RESOLVED: That under Section 100(A) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information under the relevant paragraphs of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act.

55/19

Surrey County Council Pay and Terms & Conditions of Service

    To seek the Committee’s approval in principle to several key changes to staff pay with effect from 1 April 2021. These proposals are subject to consultation with staff and negotiation with recognised Trades Unions.

     

    This report is being brought to People, Performance and Development Committee under its delegated powers in accordance with Section 2, para 6.13 (a) of the Constitution: “determine policy on pay, terms and conditions of employment of all staff”.

Minutes:

Witnesses:

Jackie Foglietta, Director – HR&OD

 

Key points raised during the discussion:

 

  1. The report was introduced by officers. The Committee asked a number of questions which were responded to by the officers present before moving to recommendations.

 

Actions/ further information to be provided:

 

None.

 

RESOLVED:

 

See exempt minute [E-13-20]

 

 

 

 

56/19

Centrally Employed Teachers 2020 - 2021 Pay Settlement

    This report is being brought to the People, Performance and Development Committee in order for the Committee to determine the uprated pay ranges for centrally employed teachers (CET) with effect from 1 September 2020, for the pay year 2020/21 and to approve the move  to reinstate the national teachers sick pay and maternity pay schemes in accordance with Section 2, para 6.13 of the Scheme of Delegation.

    Minutes:

    Witnesses:

    Jackie Foglietta, Director – HR&OD

     

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1. The report was introduced by officers. The Committee asked a number of questions which were responded to by the officers present before moving to recommendations.

     

    Actions/ further information to be provided:

     

    None.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    See exempt minute [E-14-20]

     

     

     

     

     

57/19

Children's Social Workers Pay & Reward Proposals

    To seek the Committee’s approval to the introduction of retention payments in relation to Children’s Social Workers, Team Leaders and Independent Chairs, to come into effect from 1 October 2020. 

     

    This report is being brought to People, Performance and Development Committee under its delegated powers in accordance with Section 2, para 6.13 (a) of the Constitution: “determine policy on pay, terms and conditions of employment of all staff”.

    Minutes:

    Witnesses:

    Jacquie Burke, Director for Family Resilience & Safeguarding

    Daniel Peattie, Strategic Finance Business Partner

     

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1. Officers introduced the report and highlighted that the report sought the Committee’s approval to the introduction of retention payments in relation to Children’s Social Workers, Team Leaders and Independent Chairs, to come into effect from 1 October 2020.  Officers explained that the stable workforce was key to receiving positive feedback from Ofsted.
    2. Members highlighted the importance of ensuring directorates received sufficient funding to reflect any agreed payments.
    3. Following discussion, officers stated that the proposal was part of a suite of changes to encourage retention throughout the directorate.
    4. The Committee asked a number of further questions which were responded to by the officers present before moving to recommendations.

     

    Actions/ further information to be provided:

     

    None.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    See exempt minute [E-15-20]

     

     

     

     

58/19

PUBLICITY OF PART 2 ITEMS

    • Share this item

    To consider whether the item considered under Part 2 of the agenda should be made available to the press and public.

59/19

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

    • Share this item

    The next meeting of People, Performance and Development Committee will be on 4 November 2020

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Committee noted that its next meeting would be held on 4 November 2020.