Venue: Committee Room C, County Hall, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey KT1 2DN. View directions
Contact: Angela Guest 0208 541 9075
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter
i. Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or
ii. Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting
· Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
· As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
· Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.
(i) The deadline for Members’ questions is 12pm four working days before the meeting (Wednesday 8 November 2017).
The deadline for public questions is seven days before the meeting (Tuesday 7 November 2017).
The deadline for petitions was 14 days before the meeting, and no petitions have been received.
Purpose of the report:
Surrey County Council (SCC), in partnership with the Governing Body of St. Mary’s Church of England (C of E) Junior School and the Diocese of Southwark, has undertaken both the informal and formal stages of consultation on a proposal to amalgamate Downs Way School and St. Mary’s C of E Junior School, with a view to creating a new all-through primary school from September 2018. It is also proposed to expand Key Stage 2 provision at the school from this date. The informal consultation was conducted between 24 July 2017 and 4 September 2017. On the basis of the education rationale and feedback from the informal consultation, a Cabinet Member decision approved the publication of statutory notices and the commencement of a formal consultation pertaining to the proposed amalgamation and enlargement. The notices were published on 18 September 2017, initiating a 4-week consultation, closing on 16 October 2017.
The Leader of the Council is asked to review the education rationale for the project and summary of the consultation process/feedback provided within this report and associated Annexes and, on that basis, decide whether to approve the proposed amalgamation of Downs Way School with St. Mary’s C of E Junior School, inclusive of the expansion of Key Stage 2 provision, effective from 1 September 2018. The Business Case for the capital expansion project was approved by Cabinet in September 2017.
It was agreed that the Leader of the Council determined the three statutory
notices, pertaining to the proposals to:
1. Close Downs Way School, effective from 31 August 2018.
2. Alter the lower age limit of St. Mary’s C of E Junior School, in order that the age
range broadens from 7-11 to 4-11, effective from 1 September 2018.
3. Enlarge the formal capacity of this Primary School from 360 places (i.e. the
current capacity of St. Mary’s C of E Junior School) to 660 places, effective from
The combined effect of these proposals would be to bring into effect the
amalgamation of Downs Way School with St. Mary’s C of E Junior School, inclusive
of the expansion of Key Stage 2 provision, effective from 1 September 2018.