Agenda, decisions and minutes

Waverley Local Committee
Friday, 8 December 2017 10.00 am

Venue: Godalming Baptist Church, 15 Queen Street, GU7 1BA

Contact: Yvette Ortel, Partnership Committee Officer  Waverley Borough Council Offices, The Burys, Godalming, Surrey GU7 1HR

Note: yvette.ortel@surreycc.gov.uk 01932 795120 

Items
No. Item

OPEN FORUM pdf icon PDF 62 KB

Questions and responses from the informal open forum session are attached as Annex A.

92/17

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

93/17

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 157 KB

    To approve the minutes of the previous meeting on 22 September 2017 as a correct record.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Minutes of the Waverley Local Committee on 22 September 2017 were agreed and approved as an accurate record, with the following amendments:

     

    ·         Dr Andrew Povey asked for the minutes to show that he left the room during Item 13 (On-street parking) for which he had declared an interest.

    ·         Members asked that their anger and disappointment with Highways England regarding the Hindhead tunnel presentation and report should be reflected in the minutes relating to Item 12.

    ·         Members asked for more clarity regarding the proposal for installation of bollards in Stream Farm Close, Lower Bourne within the minutes:

    o   Members had agreed in principle to have bollards installed.  There was a heated discussion followed by a vote; the results were as follows: Mr Stephen Spence proposed that bollards should be installed, seconded by Cllr Jim Edwards.  Vote: 11 for, 2 against, 3 abstentions.  However, members’ support for the bollards was on the basis that the cost of the bollards would be met in full by The Fox Public House and there would be no charge to the SCC budget and that the installation would be subject to technical feasibility.

     

    (Note: The Chairman stated that confirmation had since been received from The Fox that they were not prepared to pay for the bollards.)

     

94/17

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

     

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting.

    NOTES:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

     

    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner).

     

    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    Mr Stephen Spence declared a personal interest for Item 9 – Alleged Public Footpath between Clock Barn Lane , New Road and Public Footpath 178, Busbridge, as he was a member of the Ramblers Association.

95/17

PETITIONS & PETITION RESPONSES pdf icon PDF 283 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68.1.  Notice must be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting.  Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    Two petitions have been received:

     

    (i)  From Mr Tony Sollars which contains 54 signatures and reads:

    "We the undersigned petition Surrey County Council to: 'implement a 20mph zone around the Chandler and Barrow Hills schools in Witley'.

     

    Witley Parish Council have put forward suggestions for a 20mph zone around the Chandler and Barrow Hills schools in Witley to make it safer for pedestrians, cyclists and drivers."

     

    (ii)  From Mr Luke Freeborough which contains 110 signatures and reads:

    “We, the undersigned, petition Surrey County Council via Witley Parish Council to install the following in order to make access to Witley Infant School safer:

    • appropriate school signage at strategic points on Church Lane

    • to begin the ‘20 is plenty’ process for the part of Church Lane that runs past Witley Infants

    • to add coloured road messaging to the surface of Witley Infants

    • any other driver behaviour-changing improvements.

     

    The road system in and around Witley CE Infant School is dangerous and not fit for purpose.  Crossing the road, accessing the car parking and access to Church Lane, both by car and on foot, is dangerous.  Every school should have safe access for the children who are in attendance, but Witley Infant School does not.  There is not enough signage at two key points on Church Lane to inform drivers that there is a school; there are no road markings to encourage vehicles to drive more slowly and appropriately around young children; pedestrians have no right-of-way here.”

     

    The petition response reports are attached.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    Two petitions were received:

     

    (i)  From Mr Tony Sollars which contains 54 signatures and reads:

    "We the undersigned petition Surrey County Council to: 'implement a 20mph zone around the Chandler and Barrow Hills schools in Witley'.

     

    Witley Parish Council have put forward suggestions for a 20mph zone around the Chandler and Barrow Hills schools in Witley to make it safer for pedestrians, cyclists and drivers."

     

    The Local Committee (Waverley) resolved to AGREE that:

     

    (i)                The Safer Travel Team and key stakeholders including the Police will investigate the issues set out in the petition in line with Surrey County Councils (SCC’s) Road Safety Outside Schools Policy.

     

    (ii)               The Safer Travel Team will return to the Waverley Local Committee in March 2018 with a report outlining any recommendations associated with the petition.

    Reason: The Safer Travel Team will investigate the above issues in accordance to the SCC’s Road Safety Outside Schools Policy, and will return to the next Local with a full report.

     

    (ii)  From Mr Luke Freeborough which contains 110 signatures and reads:

    “We, the undersigned, petition Surrey County Council via Witley Parish Council to install the following in order to make access to Witley Infant School safer:

    • appropriate school signage at strategic points on Church Lane

    • to begin the ‘20 is plenty’ process for the part of Church Lane that runs past Witley Infants

    • to add coloured road messaging to the surface of Witley Infants

    • any other driver behaviour-changing improvements.

     

    The road system in and around Witley CE Infant School is dangerous and not fit for purpose.  Crossing the road, accessing the car parking and access to Church Lane, both by car and on foot, is dangerous.  Every school should have safe access for the children who are in attendance, but Witley Infant School does not.  There is not enough signage at two key points on Church Lane to inform drivers that there is a school; there are no road markings to encourage vehicles to drive more slowly and appropriately around young children; pedestrians have no right-of-way here.”

     

    The Local Committee (Waverley) resolved to AGREE that:

     

    (i)                The Safer Travel Team and key stakeholders including the Police will investigate the issues set out in the petition in line with Surrey County Councils (SCC’s) Road Safety Outside Schools Policy.

     

    (ii)               The Safer Travel Team will return to the Waverley Local Committee in March 2018 with a report outlining any recommendations associated with the petition.

    Reason: The Safer Travel Team will investigate the above issues in accordance to the SCC’s Road Safety Outside Schools Policy, and will return to the next Local with a full report.

     

    Minutes:

    Two petitions were received:

     

    Petition 1 - "We the undersigned petition Surrey County Council to: 'implement a 20mph zone around the Chandler and Barrow Hills schools in Witley'. Witley Parish Council have put forward suggestions for a 20mph zone around the Chandler and Barrow Hills schools in Witley to make it safer for pedestrians, cyclists and drivers."

     

    Declarations of Interest: Carole Cockburn declared a personal interest as she was a Governor at Barrow Hill School.

     

    Officers in attendance: John Hilder, Area Highways Manager

     

    The petition submitted by Mr Tony Sollars contained 54 signatures. Ms Maxine Gale introduced the petition on behalf of Mr Tony Sollars. The Divisional Member, Mr Peter Martin, supported the petition in principle but would like to see the officer report on the matter at the next local committee.

     

    The Local Committee (Waverley) AGREED that:

     

    (i)     The Safer Travel Team and key stakeholders including the Police would investigate the issues set out in the petition in line with Surrey County Councils (SCC’s) Road Safety Outside Schools Policy.

    (ii)    The Safer Travel Team would return to the Waverley Local Committee in March 2018 with a report outlining any recommendations associated with the petition.

    Reason: The Safer Travel Team will investigate the above issues in accordance to the SCC’s Road Safety Outside Schools Policy, and will return to the next Local with a full report.

     

    Petition 2 - “We, the undersigned, petition Surrey County Council via Witley Parish Council to install the following in order to make access to Witley Infant School safer:

         Appropriate school signage at strategic points on Church Lane

         To begin the ‘20 is plenty’ process for the part of Church Lane that runs past Witley Infants

         To add coloured road messaging to the surface of Witley Infants

         Any other driver behaviour-changing improvements.

     

    The road system in and around Witley CE Infant School is dangerous and not fit for purpose.  Crossing the road, accessing the car parking and access to Church Lane, both by car and on foot, is dangerous.  Every school should have safe access for the children who are in attendance, but Witley Infant School does not.  There is not enough signage at two key points on Church Lane to inform drivers that there is a school; there are no road markings to encourage vehicles to drive more slowly and appropriately around young children; pedestrians have no right-of-way here.”

     

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers in attendance: John Hilder, Area Highways Manager

     

    The petition submitted by Mr Luke Freeborough contained 110 signatures. Mr Luke Freeborough introduced the petition to the committee. The Divisional Member, Mr Peter Martin, supported the petition in principle but would like to see the officer report on the matter, at the next Local Committee.

     

    The Local Committee (Waverley) AGREED that:

     

    (i)     The Safer Travel Team and key stakeholders including the Police would investigate the issues set out in the petition in line with Surrey County Councils (SCC’s) Road Safety Outside Schools Policy.

    (ii)  ...  view the full minutes text for item 95/17

96/17

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

    To receive any Chairman’s announcements.

     

    Agenda item only

     

    Minutes:

    The Chairman, Mrs Victoria Young, made the following announcements:

     

    (i)     I would like to remind Surrey County councillors that the deadline to spend their member’s allocation is now 31st January, (extended from 31st December).  Applications MUST be submitted by this date.

    (ii)    Mr Neville Carter submitted a petition for 22nd September Local Committee that we were unable to accept.  I would like to make a statement regarding this matter:

    “Mr Carter, thank you for raising this question with the committee.  As you know, my officers and I have consulted with our Legal Services and have been advised that this petition could not be accepted under the SCC Petition Scheme for two reasons:

     

    1.    It does not appear that the subject matter for the petition is clearly stated and that signatories listed may not have clearly understood what they were signing up to support. All petitions must include:

    ·           A clear concise statement covering the subject of the petition

    ·           A statement about what actions the petitioners wish the council to take.

    2.    It refers to a matter that has been the subject of a complaint procedure where the complaint was not upheld, as per the correspondence sent to the respondent.  The right of appeal open to the respondent is via the Local Government Ombudsmen. A Local Committee cannot revisit a complaints process.

     

    We can not comment on wider matters or details of the Footpath dispute which has been subject of legal proceeding, but only respond on this specific matter of the petition submitted.”

     

97/17

WRITTEN MEMBER QUESTIONS

98/17

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Waverley Borough area in accordance with Standing Order 69.  Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

     

    Minutes:

    Three Written Public Questions were received from: Mr Simon Cross, Mr David Beaman and Mr Martin Price.  The questions and answers were published on the SCC Waverley Local Committee web pages before the 8 December Committee.

     

    Question 1

    Mr Cross was not in attendance to ask a supplementary question.

     

    Question 2 – Supplementary Question

    Mr Beaman asked a supplementary question regarding the closing of Farnham level crossing barriers with the proposed introduction of a direct rail service from Farnham to Guildford from December 2018.  Mr Beaman proposed an alternative solution as part of SCC’s response to the South Western Railway public consultation.

     

    Response to supplementary question:

    The Chairman suggested that Mr Beaman writes to the SCC officer directly.  Members welcomed the public consultation and said that full assessments, particularly regarding air quality, traffic planning and Farnham pedestrianization, should be carried out.

     

    Question 3 – Supplementary Question

    Mr Price thanked SCC officer Jack Roberts for his excellent work on on-street parking and he would like further parking debate in the future, in view of future housing development etc. 

     

    Response to supplementary question:

    Members recognised that commuter parking is an on-going issue, especially if there were more attractive train timetable proposals.

99/17

LOCAL COMMITTEE DECISION TRACKER (SERVICE MONITORING & ITEMS OF LOCAL CONCERN) pdf icon PDF 163 KB

    To review any outstanding Local Committee decisions.

     

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Waverley) resolved to AGREE that:

     

    The petition from 22 September 2017, Item 4(ii) regarding parking in Broomfield, should be marked as ‘closed’.

     

    All other decision tracker items shall remain ‘open’.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers in attendance: Yvette Ortel, Partnership Committee Officer

     

    Member discussion: Key points:

     

    1.   Stream Farm Close bollards (petition): leave on the tracker until further talks with The Fox have taken place.

     

    2.   Hindhead Tunnel: Highways England CEO would be meeting with SCC Divisional Member Mr David Harmer and Waverley parish council representatives on 20 December 2017, to discuss local issues.

     

    3.   Safety on diversion routes should be added to the tracker for inclusion in the Highways England report to the Local Committee on 9 March 2018.

     

    4.   Waverley Parking Review item: There was concern regarding the on-street parking review cycle.  Members requested a timeline of the complete process.  The Chairman said she would talk to the officers to seek clarification.

     

    The Local Committee (Waverley) AGREED that:

     

    The petition from 22 September 2017, Item 4(ii) regarding parking in Broomfield, should be marked as ‘closed’, and all other decision tracker items should remain as ‘open’.

     

100/17

RIGHT OF WAY: ALLEGED PUBLIC FOOTPATHS BETWEEN CLOCK BARN LANE, NEW ROAD AND PUBLIC FOOTPATH 178, BUSBRIDGE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION) pdf icon PDF 282 KB

    For Decision: this Right of Way item was deferred from the Waverley Local Committee on 22 September 2017, to allow more time for consultation.

     

    The County Council has a duty under Section 53 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (WCA 1981) to modify the Definitive Map and Statement (DMS) if it discovers evidence which on balance supports a modification.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Waverley) resolved to AGREE that:

     

    (i)                

    (a)  Claimed footpath no. 574 between points A – B – C – D - E on Drg. No. 3/1/3/H13 THE DECISION IS TO BE DEFERRED UNTIL THE MARCH 2018 LOCAL COMMITTEE.

    No Public Footpath rights are recognised over the routes shown as:

     

    (b)  Claimed footpath no. 559 between points C – H – F – D, H – I and F – G on Drg. No. 3/1/3/H13 and

    (c)  Claimed footpath no. 565 between points B – J on Drg. No. 3/1/3/H13

    and that the applications for MMOs under sections 53 and 57 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 to modify the Definitive Map and Statement by the addition of footpaths is not approved.

    (ii)              In the event of the County Council being directed to make a MMO by the Secretary of State following an appeal by the claimant(s), the County Council as surveying authority will adopt a neutral stance at any Public Inquiry, making all evidence available to help the inspector determine the case.

     

    Reason: The County Council has a duty under Section 53 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (WCA 1981) to modify the Definitive Map and Statement (DMS) if it discovers evidence which on balance supports a modification. In this instance it is considered the evidence does not support the making of a MMO.

     

    The reason for (i) (a) to be deferred is for further legal investigations to be undertaken.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: Stephen Spence declared a personal interest as a member of the Ramblers Association.

     

    Officers in attendance: Debbie Prismall, Senior Countryside Access Officer

     

    Public Speakers: None of the registered speakers attended the meeting.

     

    Report Author introduction:

     

    1.      The SCC Senior Countryside Access Officer explained that since the agenda had been published, an issue had been raised by one of the applicants relating to recommendation (i) (a) which required further legal investigation. She confirmed that it did not affect a decision being proposed on the other two recommendations.

    Member discussion: Key points:

     

    1.      Members debated whether they should defer all three recommendations to the following meeting, or consider the remaining two recommendations. The Chairman reminded the Committee that they had a quasi-judicial role in the matter. The committee considered the remaining two applications.

    The Local Committee (Waverley) unanimously AGREED that: The decision on (i)(a) Claimed footpath no. 574 between points A – B – C – D - E on Drg. No. 3/1/3/H13 be deferred for consideration at the March 2018 committee meeting.

     

    With a vote of 8 for, 4 against and 2 abstentions, the Local Committee (Waverley) AGREED that:

     

    No Public Footpath rights be recognised over the routes shown as:

     

    (i)         (b)     Claimed footpath no. 559 between points C – H – F – D, H – I and F –

              G on Drg. No. 3/1/3/H13 and

    (c)       Claimed footpath no. 565 between points B – J on Drg. No. 3/1/3/H13

    and that the applications for MMOs under sections 53 and 57 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 to modify the Definitive Map and Statement by the addition of footpaths not be approved.

    (ii)           In the event of the County Council being directed to make a MMO by the Secretary of State following an appeal by the claimant(s), the County Council as surveying authority will adopt a neutral stance at any Public Inquiry, making all evidence available to help the inspector determine the case.

    Reason: The County Council has a duty under Section 53 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (WCA 1981) to modify the Definitive Map and Statement (DMS) if it discovers evidence which on balance supports a modification. In this instance it is considered the evidence does not support the making of a MMO.

     

    The reason for (i) (a) to be deferred is for further legal investigations to be undertaken.

101/17

SURREY HILLS HGV AND COUNTRY LANES REVIEW (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION) pdf icon PDF 285 KB

    To receive a report from SCC Transport Policy Team.

     

    The report summarises the feasibility work and further consultation carried out during the review of Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) movements through the study area.  It also outlines the proposed measures for HGV management and puts forward a recommended strategic concept for Local Committee approval.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Waverley) resolved to AGREE that it:

     

    (i)    Acknowledges the outcome of continued dialogue with local parish councils regarding the development of HGV interventions in the area.

    (ii)   Agrees the concept of a proposed ‘Country Lanes Unsuitable for HGVs’ pilot zone to cover a defined area of the Surrey Hills within the wider study area

    Reason: To ensure that Members are kept informed of the outcome of local stakeholder engagement regarding HGV and country lane management measures.

     

    To enable the proposed concept to be agreed across all affected boroughs and districts and subsequently included in relevant forward programmes of transport measures for future development and implementation in collaboration with parish councils and local community groups via appropriate funding streams.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers in attendance: Jeff Wilson, SCC Transport Planner

     

    Member discussion: Key points:

     

    1.   The report had previously been considered by Guildford Local Committee where the concept was agreed by members, enabling individual schemes within their area to be considered for development as and when funding becomes available.

    2.   It was also considered by the Mole Valley Local Committee in November. The members had not wanted to pursue signage or measures in their area at that point as they had some concerns about directing HGVs along certain roads within their district.  However, they did wish to be engaged in the consultation process going forward and are supportive of continued dialogue.

    3.   The committee was asked to consider the concept of the advisory (non-enforceable) signs. There was no timeline at present for delivery and would depend on when funding became available.

    4.   Dr Andrew Povey welcomed the report and said he will be making some of his highways allocation available, to help fund the proposals via the Area Highway Manager. The Chairman stated that she understood the amount to be £8,000 to £10,000 from Dr Povey’s £10,000 highways allocation.

    5.   The committee discussed timing and costs, increased housing development, HGV movements and the issue of speed in narrow lanes that members did not feel were addressed in the report. It was noted that the majority of HGVs were using roads for a legitimate purpose.

    6.   The issue of Sat Navs directing HGVs on inappropriate routes leading to damaged roads and banks and severe traffic problems was also considered. The Transport Planner officer agreed to explore what could be done at a strategic level regarding the programming of Sat Navs. 

    7.   The speed of the vehicles was not specifically being targeted through this proposal, but it was being considered in working groups. It was noted that parish councils are particularly keen on this. 

    The Local Committee (Waverley) AGREED to:

     

    (i)     Acknowledge the outcome of continued dialogue with local parish councils regarding the development of HGV interventions in the area.

    (ii)    The concept of a proposed ‘Country Lanes Unsuitable for HGVs’ pilot zone to cover a defined area of the Surrey Hills within the wider study area

    Reason: To ensure that Members are kept informed of the outcome of local stakeholder engagement regarding HGV and country lane management measures.

     

    To enable the proposed concept to be agreed across all affected boroughs and districts and subsequently included in relevant forward programmes of transport measures for future development and implementation in collaboration with parish councils and local community groups via appropriate funding streams.

102/17

HIGHWAYS UPDATE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION) pdf icon PDF 239 KB

    To receive an update from the Area Highway Manager (South West).

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Waverley) resolved to AGREE:

     

    (i)            To note the capital works being progressed during 2017/18

    (ii)           To note the ongoing revenue works being carried out.

    (iii)          To delegate to the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice Chairman and Divisional Member, the ability to resolve any problems encountered to facilitate scheme delivery.

    Reason: The committee is not asked to make any financial decisions at this meeting, rather the report gives an update of progress on highway works in the current financial year.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers in attendance: John Hilder, Area Highways Manager

     

    Member discussion: Key points:

     

    1.   The Area Highway Manager stated that the £10,000 per SCC member to spend on Highways had to be allocated by 31 December 2017 in order for it to be spent in the current financial year.  However, if not spent it could be carried forward to 2018/19.

    2.   Members were asked to consider what schemes they want to support in their areas in 2018/19.  Any schemes not already listed in Annex 1 would have to be approved by the Local Committee.

    3.   New Pond Road, Compton would be closed in 2018 for approximately three months as Network Rail needed to undertake major bridge work on the Farncombe rail bridge. This would impact on local traffic but diversions would be in place on major routes. It was suggested that undertakers using the crematorium should be notified separately, and the committee requested clarification on the road closure timings.

    4.   It was agreed that the Area Highways Officer would provide members with further information regarding their areas, especially where information is missing from the report (including Table 6 on Section 106 agreements), and to confirm the latest position on Waverley Borough Council’s bid to the LEP for infrastructure improvements in Farnham.

    5.   The Chairman clarified that in paragraph 7.4 on page 77, the 15% top-sliced from parking surplus was from non-Farnham areas and the 85% was Farnham.  These figures would need to be reviewed in future years as situations change.

    6.   The SCC Highways team was thanked for making things happen that improved residents’ lives.

    The Local Committee (Waverley) AGREED:

     

    (i)     To note the capital works being progressed during 2017/18

    (ii)    To note the ongoing revenue works being carried out.

    (iii)   To delegate to the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice Chairman and Divisional Member, the ability to resolve any problems encountered to facilitate scheme delivery.

    Reason: The committee is not asked to make any financial decisions at this meeting, rather the report gives an update of progress on highway works in the current financial year.

     

103/17

LOCAL COMMITTEE FORWARD PROGRAMME 2017-18 pdf icon PDF 53 KB

    To review the forward programme 2017/18, indicating any further preferences for inclusion.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers in attendance: Yvette Ortel, Partnership Committee Officer

     

    Member discussion: Key points:

     

    1.   The forward programme was agreed, with the addition of the two petition response reports and the right of way item to come to the next Local Committee meeting on 9 March 2018.  On-street parking would come in June 2018.

     

    2.   Items requested by members to be added to the forward programme:

    -    Full list of Section 106 monies for Waverley to come as part of the Highways Update in March 2018.

    -    SCC Highways’ long-term strategic plans.

     

    3.   The Chairman stated that the local committee would be receiving an item in private regarding Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and also a presentation from Southern Gas (SGN).

104/17

DATE OF NEXT MEETING