Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Spelthorne Joint Committee - Wednesday, 28 July 2021 3.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Spelthorne Council Offices, Knowle Green, Staines-upon-Thames, TW18 1XB

Contact: Gregory Yeoman  Partnership Committee Officer

Link: Click here for the webcast

Items
No. Item

1/21

ANNOUNCEMENT OF CHAIRMAN AND VICE-CHAIRMAN (FOR INFORMATION)

    • Share this item

    Minutes:

    The Partnership Committee Officer announced Cllr Nichols as the chairman of the Joint Committee and Cllr Griffiths as the vice-chairman.

2/21

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

    • Share this item

    To receive any apologies for absence.

    Minutes:

    Apologies for absence were received from Cllr Griffiths, Cllr McIlroy and Cllr Boughtflower.

3/21

MINUTES FROM PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 308 KB

    • Share this item

    To approve the Minutes of the previous meeting on 9th March 2021 as a correct record.

     

    Minutes:

    The Joint Committee (Spelthorne) agreed the minutes of the meeting on 9th March 2021 as an accurate record.

4/21

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    • Share this item

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting.

    NOTES:

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

    ·         As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner).

    ·         Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    There were no declarations of interest.

5/21

HIGHWAYS UPDATE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 242 KB

    • Share this item

    To receive an update from the Highways Area Team Manager (North East).

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    That the Spelthorne Joint Committee agreed to:

     

    (i)     That the Area Highways Manager brief the divisional member in advance of consultation and be authorised in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Divisional and ward Members to advertise a legal order for new double yellow lines at the junctions of Gibson Place, Roberts Close, Park Road Service Road and Gleneagles Close with Park Road, Stanwell, and to resolve any objections that may be raised;

    (ii)   Authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Divisional Member to advertise a legal order for a 20mph speed limit in Stratton Road, Rooksmead Road, Sunmead Road and Ravendale Road, Lower Sunbury, and to resolve and objections that may be raised;

    (iii) That the Area Highways Manager brief the divisional member in advance of consultation and be authorised in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and Divisional and ward Members to undertake any necessary legal procedure, and to install appropriate signs and road markings, to enable buses to proceed straight ahead from the nearside lane of London Road, on its approach to Kingston Road from the Crooked Billet;

    (iv) Agree the 2021-22 programme of Capital Maintenance schemes, as detailed in Table 2 below, and to authorise the Area Team Manager, in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and Divisional Member to amend this programme as appropriate should unforeseen circumstances arise that would put the programme at risk of delivery;

    (v)   Authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

    Reasons:

    As part of the Road Safety Audit process, double yellow lines are proposed to ensure that vehicles can enter and exit the side roads on the northern side of Park Road, Stanwell, without overrunning the verge or the improved cycle route.

     

    A legal order is needed to legitimise the apparent 20mph limit in a number of roads in Lower Sunbury.

     

    Bus operators have suggested a low cost amendment that could improve journey time and reliability of bus services entering Staines along London Road.

     

    A programme of capital maintenance schemes needs to be agreed to invest Committee’s £264,000 allocation for this purpose. Officers have worked with Members to agree priorities. However should unforeseen circumstances arise that might put the programme at risk, the Area Highway Manager needs flexibility to amend the programme as appropriate.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: The Area Highways Manager was unable to attend the meeting.

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

     

    In relation to the roads listed in Recommendation (ii) Cllr Smith-Ainsley asked what the process had been regarding the TRO when the 20mph signs were installed. Officers agreed to provide a written reply.

     

    Local members stated that they had been unaware of roadworks proposed in their areas as part of the Highways report and a revised wording was agreed for Recommendations (i) and (iii) to ensure that members were briefed on possible works before being consulted by the Highways team.

     

    Resolved:

    The Spelthorne Joint Committee AGREED:

     

    (i)     That the Area Highways Manager brief the divisional member in advance of consultation and be authorised in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Divisional and ward Members to advertise a legal order for new double yellow lines at the junctions of Gibson Place, Roberts Close, Park Road Service Road and Gleneagles Close with Park Road, Stanwell, and to resolve any objections that may be raised;

    (ii)   To authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Divisional Member to advertise a legal order for a 20mph speed limit in Stratton Road, Rooksmead Road, Sunmead Road and Ravendale Road, Lower Sunbury, and to resolve and objections that may be raised;

    (iii) That the Area Highways Manager brief the divisional member in advance of consultation and be authorised in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and Divisional and ward Members to undertake any necessary legal procedure, and to install appropriate signs and road markings, to enable buses to proceed straight ahead from the nearside lane of London Road, on its approach to Kingston Road from the Crooked Billet;

    (iv) The 2021-22 programme of Capital Maintenance schemes, as detailed in Table 2 below, and to authorise the Area Team Manager, in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and Divisional Member to amend this programme as appropriate should unforeseen circumstances arise that would put the programme at risk of delivery;

    (v)   To authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

    Reasons for recommendations:

    As part of the Road Safety Audit process, double yellow lines are proposed to ensure that vehicles can enter and exit the side roads on the northern side of Park Road, Stanwell, without overrunning the verge or the improved cycle route.

     

    A legal order is needed to legitimise the apparent 20mph limit in a number of roads in Lower Sunbury.

     

    Bus operators have suggested a low cost amendment that could improve journey time and reliability of bus services entering Staines along London Road.

     

    A programme of capital maintenance schemes needs to be agreed to invest Committee’s £264,000 allocation for this purpose. Officers have worked with Members to agree priorities. However should unforeseen circumstances arise that might put the programme at risk, the Area Highway Manager needs  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5/21

6/21

DECISION TRACKER (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 316 KB

    • Share this item

    To review any outstanding decisions from the Joint Committee.

     

    Minutes:

    Officers attending: Nicola Morris, Partnership Committee Officer (PCO)

     

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    The PCO updated members on Item 1 of the Tracker, stating that while Cemex have said they would be willing to allow a site visit to the quarry in Stanwell Moor they have not responded to letters from the previous chairman. Cllr Nichols stated that as the new chairman of the committee he would write afresh (after consulting with the committee manager to confirm previous correspondence), with the local Divisional member suggesting that he, the chairman and vice-chairman should attend the requested meeting, along with local resident Mr McLuskey.

     

    Item 2 (To clarify funding opportunities for the proposed pedestrian/cycle facilities for the bridge over Clockhouse Lane). Clarification was requested regarding how much funding would be committed to the scheme and whether there will be sufficient budget remaining to progress other schemes or whether they will be delayed as a result.

     

    Cllr Nichols agreed to follow up Item 3 as necessary and write to the Leader of Hounslow council regarding funding for pedestrian and cycling facilities on Clockhouse Lane near Bedfont Lakes.

     

    Referring to Items 7 and 8 on the Tracker Cllrs Attewell and Turner-Stewart expressed concern that no update was forthcoming despite the matter of the time taken for highways feasibility studies to take place having been raised with the Cabinet Member and senior officers in the Service. As the Area Highway Manager was not present at the committee meeting it was not possible to provide an immediate response, but officers confirmed that a written response would be issued.

     

    Item 9 (A308 layby). A request was made by Cllr Sexton for an update on the requested closure of the layby on the A308 eastbound near Shortwood Common because of the continuing problem of fly-tipping. Cllr Turner-Stewart drew Members’ attention to the work carried out by SBC and SCC in partnership to clean up the layby near Fordbridge roundabout

     

    Item 10 (local flooding in Charlton Village) was requested to be kept on the tracker because there have been incidents of flooding since the gulleys were cleaned.

     

    Item 11 (Clockhouse Lane suggested improvements – land ownership issues) – a request was made for more detail of potential timelines for providing further updates.

     

    A commitment was made to provide Members with written answers to the points raised within two weeks of the meeting, with the possibility of an online meeting with the Area Highway Manager to discuss any of the issues covered.

     

7/21

MEMBER COMMUNITY ALLOCATION UPDATE (FOR INFORMATION)

    • Share this item

    A verbal update on Member Community Allocation.

    Minutes:

    Officers attending: Nicola Morris, Partnership Committee Officer (PCO)

     

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    The PCO gave a verbal update on Member Community Allocation. Each Surrey County Councillor has £5,000 funding for 2021/22 to help residents, voluntary and community organisations deliver activities that benefit local people in their neighbourhoods. The purpose of MCA is to empower local communities and residents.

     

    Members were reminded that the deadline for MCA applications is 31 January 2022. More details are available on the County Council’s website www.surreycc.gov.uk/communityallocation

     

    Any queries should be directed to Rowena Zelley in the Community Partnerships and Engagement Team on 01737 737420.

     

8/21

PETITIONS & PETITION RESPONSES

    • Share this item

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 14.1. Notice must be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting. Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s or Spelthorne Borough Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    No petitions were received.

9/21

WRITTEN MEMBER QUESTIONS

    • Share this item

    To receive any written questions from members under Standing Order 13. The deadline for members’ questions is 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    No questions were received.

10/21

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 144 KB

    • Share this item

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within Spelthorne borough area in accordance with Standing Order 14.2. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    One question was received from Mr Andrew McLuskey; the question and response were included in the agenda papers for the meeting.

     

    Mr McLuskey was present at the meeting and as a supplementary question asked simply what the local authorities would do to reduce the delay in the restoration of the area of Stanwell Moor quarry and improve the biodiversity aspect of Cemex’s plan. The local Divisional member suggested that the best time to address this would be at the hoped-for site visit mentioned under Item 6 above. The chairman noted that the proposed letter to Cemex should include those original reinstatement actions that no longer appear in the restoration plan.

     

11/21

COMMUNITY INFRASTRUCTURE LEVY (CIL) TASK GROUP AND PROGRESS REPORT (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 131 KB

    • Share this item

    This report sets out the proposed Terms of Reference for the CIL Task Group for the Joint Committee to agree and provides an update on the current CIL balances.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    That the Spelthorne Joint Committee agreed that:

     

    (i)     The CIL Task Group be reconstituted in accordance with the Terms of Reference set out at Appendix A of the report.

    (ii)    The CIL Progress Report be noted (Appendix B).

     

    Reasons: In order to progress Strategic CIL spending across the Borough

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Heather Morgan, Group Head, Regeneration and Growth, Spelthorne Borough Council.

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    Heather Morgan confirmed that the CIL Task Group would concern itself with the Strategic CIL spend, with officers performing the first sift of funding requests before passing their longlist to the Task Group for consideration ahead of the recommended shortlist going to the Joint Committee for final decision.

     

    The terms of reference being considered by the committee at this meeting differed from those agreed in March 2021 only in the membership of the Task Group, which had changed on the switch by Spelthorne Borough Council to the committee system earlier in the summer.

     

    Regarding the outdoor gyms project, it was confirmed that the borough’s Environment and Sustainability committee had been happy that consultation with residents was not necessary for the project to go to the tender and procurement stage, although there was still the need for it to go through the planning process.

     

    The CIL group was commended for its work in making funding available to local projects the results of which could be seen in the borough and were very welcome.

     

     

    Resolved:

    The Spelthorne Joint Committee AGREED that:

     

    (i)     The CIL Task Group be reconstituted in accordance with the Terms of Reference set out at Appendix A of the report.

    (ii)    The CIL Progress Report be noted (Appendix B).

     

    Reasons for recommendations:

    In order to progress Strategic CIL spending across the Borough

12/21

FORWARD PROGRAMME 2021/22 pdf icon PDF 188 KB

    • Share this item

    To review the forward programme 2021/22, indicating any further preferences for inclusion.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nicole Morris, Partnership Committee Officer.

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    Cllr Evans requested an item on Traveller activity within the borough to be included on the forward plan, with the appropriate SCC officer involved.

     

    The chairman requested an update and briefing on Your Fund Surrey and Members were encouraged to publicise this funding programme as widely as possible so that residents were fully aware of the opportunity. The point was made that projects should be community-initiated and also community-led in terms of their delivery. There was no deadline for applications – the project remains open for a further four financial years and projects can be submitted for consideration at any time within that period. It was felt that a report summarising Your Fund Surrey activity within Spelthorne would help Members support their residents when preparing their submissions.

     

    The Chairman requested an informal meeting ahead of the next planned formal, to cover the topics above and the committee’s other Task Groups; the committee manager would look into the current situation regarding Task Groups as there was uncertainty as to whether there were any others in addition to the CIL one.

13/21

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

    • Share this item

    To be held on Monday 29th November 2021 in the Council Chamber, Spelthorne Council Offices, Knowle Green, Staines-upon-Thames TW18 1XB.

    Minutes:

    The next formal meeting is planned for Monday 29th November 2021. Members asked that meetings revert to being held in the evenings.

     

    The number of meetings held will be determined by the amount of business. Members were reminded that service requests relating to County Council areas of responsibility can be submitted directly through Customer Services, to provide a response more quickly than if they were to wait until the next formal meeting.