Agenda, decisions and minutes

Surrey Heath Local Committee
Thursday, 12 April 2018 6.00 pm

Venue: Bisley CofE Primary School, Hawthorn Way, GU24 9DF

Contact: Jessica Edmundson  Surrey County Council Surrey Heath Borough Council, Surrey Heath House, Knoll Road, Camberley, GU15 3HD

Items
No. Item

OPEN FORUM pdf icon PDF 70 KB

Questions and responses from the informal open forum session are attached as Annex A.

1/18

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

2/18

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING pdf icon PDF 180 KB

    To agree the Minutes of the last meeting.

    Decision:

     

    The minutes from the previous meeting on 30 November 2017 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

    Minutes:

     

    The minutes from the previous meeting on 30 November 2017 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

3/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    Declarations of Interest

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter;

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    There were none.

4/18

PETITIONS

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting.

     

    Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    Two petitions have been received:

     

    a)    Parking outside shop at 207 Guildford Road, Lightwater

     

    b)    Traffic calming on Kings Ride

    Minutes:

    Two petitions were received. An officer comment was provided at the meeting to one petition, whereas the other was deferred to the meeting on 14 June 2018.

5/18

PETITION: PARKING OUTSIDE THE SHOP, 207 GUILDFORD ROAD, LIGHTWATER pdf icon PDF 239 KB

    An officer comment to the following petition is included within: We are the regular customers of the above shop and we noted that on 13 November 2017 you have imposed parking restrictions in the area. We also note that you have not allocated any short term parking spaces for us to park our vehicles when we needed to shop at the premises. This is causing us great difficulty and inconvenience.

     

    The shop has been here for a long time and we find it very convenient to get urgent groceries without having to drive a long way to go to the nearest supermarket.

     

    We will very much appreciate it if you could allocate a few free parking spaces around the shop for a short time (preferably 30 minutes or so) for the shoppers and a loading and unloading bay for one vehicle

    Minutes:

    Declarations of interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Jack Roberts, Engineer, Parking Strategy &implementation team, SCC

     

    Petitions, Public Question, Statements: The lead petitioner, Mrs Murukathash addressed the committee, detailing that the double yellow lines added to the road outside her shop in November 2017 had caused her and her husband great financial losses since their introduction, as her customers now had a limited area with which to park. She stated they would have liked 2 parking bays with a 30 minute waiting time to be installed on one side of Guildford Road. 

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    The Parking Engineer stated that in order to have time restricted parking bays there must already be bays in place, which there are not, and having looked at the road in detail there was only space to allow for one bay. Given the time and cost implications of this it wouldn’t have been a viable option.

     

    The double yellow lines along Guildford Road, Lightwater were added for safety reasons, as at the junction with Macdonald road there have been a number of issues with buses turning and parked cars in the past obstructing these movements.

     

    The local members for Lightwater suggested to get together with Mrs Murukathash, her husband and any other residents to discuss such issues in preparation for the 2019 review.

     

    Resolution:

     

    The Surrey Heath Local Committee agreed to note the officers response.

     

6/18

PETITION: TRAFFIC CALMING ON KINGS RIDE, CAMBERLEY pdf icon PDF 206 KB

    An officer comment to the following petition is included within: The development of Kings Lodge had a planning condition to add traffic calming to Kings Ride. At the Planning Committee meeting and in e-mail correspondence local residents were meant to be involved in the implementation of this scheme. The current scheme is not what was proposed by the local residents.

    Unelected council workers overrode decisions taken by elected Councillors. We the undersigned do not accept that this is democracy or a fulfilment of the

    planning condition. The scheme needs to be in a position that is effective at reducing speeding traffic and consulted with, and considerate to, residents.

    Minutes:

    The petition was deferred to the next meeting of the Surrey Heath Local Committee on 14 June 2018.

7/18

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 201 KB

    To answer any written questions from residents or businesses within the area in accordance with Standing Order 69.  Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer by 12 noon, four working days before the meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Four questions were received in preparation for this meeting. The written questions and responses to the first three questions were provided as part of the agenda papers and the fourth question and response was provided as part of the supplementary papers.

     

    Each questioner has the opportunity to ask one supplementary question.

     

    No supplementary question was received for questions two and four from West End Parish Council or question one from anonymous.

     

    A representative from Bisley Resident’s Association was in attendance to ask a supplementary question on behalf of the questioner, Mr Norman Holden.

     

    Supplementary question:

     

    In relation to the 30mph sign being moved to a position behind the blind bend on Church Lane. It should be moved further, past the church and up to the Surrey Heath sign. When will the work be taking place?

     

    Response: The location of the sign will be checked with the traffic engineer. The Highways Update report indicates the work will be carried out on 2018/19.

8/18

WRITTEN MEMBER QUESTIONS

9/18

CABINET MEMBER FOR HIGHWAYS - UPDATE pdf icon PDF 444 KB

    The Cabinet Member is attending the committee to improve communications and to provide information of works in the local area.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

    Officers attending: Colin Kemp, Surrey County Council Cabinet Member for Highways


    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements:
    None

     

    Colin Kemp attended the meeting to update the committee on his vision for the year ahead in his Cabinet Member role. This update followed his previous visit to the committee back in October 2017.

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    Surrey County Council have borrowed an extra £5million to react to the damage caused in the winter. The Cabinet Member was keen to work locally with members and residents to help identify the local priorities.    

     

    The local priorities and future schemes for consideration list (annex 3) are to be displayed on the website and refreshed quarterly to keep everyone up to date on the progress of schemes.

     

    The Cabinet Member noted that there was an ongoing issue with an increasing number of potholes, one of the reasons being the recent bad weather.  In March 2017, 2,800 potholes were reported compared to 8,300 in March 2018. To address this, scheduled non-essential works had been postponed to fix these potholes, and the contractor Kier had increased the number of crews operating in Surrey from 8/12 to 25, pulling in 4 or 5 crews from other areas to assist.

     

    The cabinet member noted it was essential that any faults are reported, the easiest way is through the ‘report it’ button on the Surrey County Council website. The fault is then added to the list to fix.

     

    A question was raised by members in relation to pot holes and how residents make claims for burst tyres or damaged alloy wheels. It was confirmed this information could all be found on the SCC website but that there was no liability until the defect had been reported. Claims were all managed with the contractors and through their insurance.

     

    The Surrey Heath Local Committee thanked the Cabinet Member for his update and useful information he had provided not only for them but for the attending members of the public.

     

10/18

HIGHWAYS UPDATE REPORT pdf icon PDF 598 KB

    To report progress made with the delivery of proposed highways schemes, developer funded schemes, and revenue funded works for the 2017/18 financial year.

    To provide an update on the latest budgetary position for highway schemes and revenue maintenance.

    To report on relevant topical highways matters.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Surrey Heath) agreed:

    i) to the dedication of the footway along the southern side of the A30 London Road (Bagshot) between The Maultway (B3015) and Bagshot High Street (B3029) as shared use footway/cycleway as detailed in the plan attached as Annex A.

     

    ii) that a notice is advertised in accordance with the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, the effects of which will be to prohibit motor vehicles from the section of The Square, Bagshot (B3029) shown in Annex B

     

    iii) that any objections to the Traffic Regulation Order should be considered and resolved by the Area Team Manager for Highways in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Local Committee and the local Divisional Member, and that this issue only be returned to Committee if any objections prove insurmountable

     

    iv) that the Order be made once any objections have been considered and resolved.

     

    v) that £5,000 is allocated from the 2018/19 revenue budget towards the Parking Team to support the implementation of the higher than usual number of changes proposed within the latest Parking Review.

     

     

    Reason for decisions:

     

    The above were made to enable progression of all highway related schemes and works.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Andrew Milne, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: none

     

    The Area Highways Manager introduced the report. Asking members to note their decisions tonight were regarding the implementation of footway/cycleway along the A30 and the advertising of a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) in Bagshot.

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    It was noted that the revenue budget for 2018/19 had been significantly increased from £40k to £168k and this increase in highway funds had come from the 1% council tax increase. The Area Highways Manager added that each county member would also have a highways fund of £7.5k to spend on highways projects of local importance in their division.

     

    Members noted they would like the opportunity to review the priority list as since being put in place, membership of the committee had changed and so had priorities. It was noted that this item was on the forward plan for an informal meeting, scheduled for later this year.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Surrey Heath) agreed:

    i)    to the dedication of the footway along the southern side of the A30 London Road (Bagshot) between The Maultway (B3015) and Bagshot High Street (B3029) as shared use footway/cycleway as detailed in the plan attached as Annex A.

    ii)   that a notice is advertised in accordance with the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, the effects of which will be to prohibit motor vehicles from the section of The Square, Bagshot (B3029) shown in Annex B.

     

    iii)  that any objections to the Traffic Regulation Order should be considered and resolved by the Area Team Manager for Highways in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Local Committee and the local Divisional Member, and that this issue only be returned to Committee if any objections prove insurmountable.

     

    iv) that the Order be made once any objections have been considered and resolved.

     

    v)  that £5,000 is allocated from the 2018/19 revenue budget towards the Parking Team to support the implementation of the higher than usual number of changes proposed within the latest Parking Review.

     

     

    Reason for decisions:

     

    The above decisions were made to enable progression of all highway related schemes and works.

     

11/18

ANNUAL PARKING REVIEW pdf icon PDF 305 KB

    Officers of Surrey County Council’s parking team have carried out a review of on street parking restrictions within the borough of Surrey Heath and identified changes which would benefit road safety and reduce instances of obstruction and localised congestion. Approval by the Surrey Heath Local Committee is required in order to progress these changes to the stage of ‘formal advertisement’, where the proposed restrictions will be advertised for 28 days and open to comments, support or objections from members of the public.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Surrey Heath) agreed:

     

    (i) the proposed amendments to on-street parking restrictions in Surrey

    Heath as described in the report and shown in detail on drawings in

    annexes A-E.


    (ii) the local committee allocated funding as detailed in paragraph 5.1 of this

    report to proceed with the introduction of the parking amendments.


    (iii) the intention of the county council to make an order under the relevant

    parts of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 to impose the waiting and

    on street parking restrictions in Surrey Heath as shown on the drawings

    in annex A are advertised and that if no objections are maintained, the

    orders are made.

     

    (iv) if there are unresolved objections, they will be dealt with in accordance

    with the county council’s scheme of delegation by the parking strategy

    and implementation team manager, in consultation with the chairman/vice

    chairman of this committee and the appropriate county councillor. An

    additional member may be invited for comment.

     

    Reason for Decisions:

     

    The above decisions were made so that the waiting restrictions are implemented as detailed in Annexes A-E. They will make a positive impact towards:-

    · Road safety

    · Access for emergency vehicles

    · Access for refuse vehicles

    · Easing traffic congestion

    · Better regulated parking

    · Better enforcement

    · Better compliance

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Jack Roberts, Engineer, Parking Strategy & Implementation Team, SCC

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: none

     

    The Parking Engineer introduced the report, stating there had been 140 amendments to consider in this review. All proposed amendments were detailed in the report and the attached annexes. The committee were being asked to agree these amendments for advertisement for implementation later this year.

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    Members asked whether there were any amendments, where only the timing of the restriction was being altered and therefore just the signage would be changing. When this happened previously in Surrey Heath it caught many people out. This time around could the signage be improved to more easily notify residents of the change. The Parking Engineer confirmed that the borough council would work to help improve signage to show clearly there was a change in restriction.

     

    A  point was raised over why a disabled bay had been proposed on High Street, Chobham. The Parking Engineer confirmed it had been in consultation with the SCC divisional member who commented that such amendment had been brought to the committee’s attention during the last parking review. The entrance to the Sun Inn had changed and to satisfy safety regulations there needed to be one in Chobham.

     

    It was requested that in the next review the roads surrounding Frimley Park Hospital be looked at as many of the roads are impassable for residents because of such parking.

     

    Members asked when the recommendations would be implemented on the ground, should the recommendations be agreed by the committee and no objections are made or maintained following the advertisement. The Parking Engineer confirmed that due to the postponement of the meeting from March to April, it was likely that the advertisement would take place in Summer 2018 with the implementation in Autumn/Winter 2018.

     

    Resolution:

     

    The Local Committee (Surrey Heath) agreed:

     

    i)          the proposed amendments to on-street parking restrictions in Surrey Heath as described in the report and shown in detail on drawings in annexes A-E.

    ii)         the local committee allocated funding as detailed in paragraph 5.1 of this report to proceed with the introduction of the parking amendments.

    iii)        the intention of the county council to make an order under the relevant parts of the road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 to impose the waiting and on street parking restrictions in Surrey Heath as shown on the drawings in annex A are advertised and that if no objections are maintained, the orders are made.

     

    iv)        if there are unresolved objections, they will be dealt with in accordance with the county council’s scheme of delegation by the parking strategy and implementation team manager, in consultation with the chairman/vice chairman of this committee and the appropriate county councillor. An additional member may be invited for comment.

     

    Reason for decisions:

     

    The above decisions were made so that the waiting restrictions are implemented as detailed in Annexes A-E. They will make a positive impact towards:

    · Road safety

    · Access for emergency vehicles  ...  view the full minutes text for item 11/18

12/18

TRADING STANDARDS ANNUAL REPORT pdf icon PDF 182 KB

    This report is to provide an update on the work and activities of Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards, particularly in respect of the borough of Surrey Heath in 2017.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Tim Tusler, Senior Trading Standards Officer, Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: none

     

    [Cllr Pat Tedder left the meeting at 7.35pm]

     

    The Trading Standards Officer introduced the report, noting that Trading Standards had some great things to report from the past 12 months in particular the cracking down of trading scams.  

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    The committee commended the work that Trading Standards was doing and highlighted that the sophistication of scams was ever increasing. Several members stated that they followed the Trading Standards social media accounts and suggested, that although these accounts were good, that maybe more could be done to publicise some of the commonly occurring scams to make residents more aware.

     

    Members fully supported the use of the TrueCall care systems to stop nuisance and scam phone calls, particularly in the vulnerable. Several members commented that they had one themselves and found them to be very useful. The Trading Standards Officer noted that vulnerable residents could be nominated to be loaned one free of charge.

     

    The Surrey Heath Committee thanked the Trading Standards Officer for his insightful report and invited him to return next year with the 2018 annual report.  

13/18

EARLY HELP PRIORITIES FOR SURREY HEATH pdf icon PDF 299 KB

    This report provides local Members with an update on the new model that Surrey County Council and partners have been developing for early help for the county overall and how this is progressing locally in Surrey Heath.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Surrey Heath Local Committee agreed to:

     

    i)    make endorsements to the Early Help Advisory Board for appointment in 2018/19, to be agreed at the next Surrey Heath local committee meeting in June 2018.

     

    Reason for Decision

     

    The above decision was made to enable Local Members to be informed about the proposals that have been developed in partnership for the early help system in Surrey.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Gavin Kitchen, Family Services Manager (Surrey Heath), SCC

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: none

     

    The Family Services Manger introduced the report, noting that Early Help was not to be confused with Early Years and the Early Help offer was for those aged 0-19 and up to 25 years for Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND).

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    In 2017 Family Services brought together a number of programmes and teams including youth and children’s centres to create Surrey Family Services and Early Help has been progressing since then with the first advisory board taking place in Surrey Heath in October 2017.

     

    It was noted that the aim across the service was to improve communication between the services in order to improve the offer that was being made.

     

    In Surrey Heath, three Family Partnership Areas had been established, where an area was to serve as a network for people and not a building. It was pointed out these areas and Early Help had no relation to children’s centres and was not indicative that each area would have one main children’s centre.

     

    Resolution:

     

    The Surrey Heath Local Committee agreed to make endorsements to the Early Help Advisory Board for appointment in 2018/19, to be agreed at the next Surrey Heath Local Committee meeting in June 2018.

     

    Reason for decision:

     

    The above decision was made to enable Local Members to be informed about the proposals that have been developed in partnership for the early help system in Surrey.

     

14/18

DECISION TRACKER pdf icon PDF 182 KB

    To review the decision tracker.

    Decision:

    The Surrey Heath Local Committee agreed:

     

    i)              To remove the action to advertise the revocation of the 25T structural weight limit on Woodlands Lane, Windlesham.

      

    Reason for decision

     

    The above decision was made as the revocation had been advertised and no further action was required.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Jess Edmundson, Partnership Committee Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Surrey Heath Local Committee were asked to note the decision tracker, agreeing to remove any item that was closed and had been completed. They should have also noted that a closed item did not necessarily mean a complete item. Some items had been closed as no further progress was possible at that time.

     

    Resolution:

     

    The Surrey Heath Local Committee agreed to remove the action to advertise the revocation of the 25T structural weight limit on Woodlands Lane, Windlesham.

      

    Reason for decision

     

    The above decision was made as the revocation had been advertised and no further action was required.

15/18

FORWARD PLAN pdf icon PDF 116 KB

    This report is produced for each meeting of the Local Committee (Surrey Heath) so that members can review the forward plan and comment on the items that are currently anticipated will be received (paragraph 3).

     

    Decision:

     

    The Surrey Heath Local Committee agreed the items proposed for the next meeting on 14 June 2018.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Jess Edmundson, Partnership Committee Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Committee received a report on the forward plan and was asked to

    comment on the items that are currently anticipated would be received.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Surrey Heath Local Committee agreed the items proposed for the next meeting on 14 June 2018.