Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Guildford Joint Committee
Wednesday, 20 March 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Guildford Borough Council, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford GU2 4BB

Contact: Joanna Long  Partnership Committee Officer

Link: view the webcast

Items
No. Item

Open Forum pdf icon PDF 21 KB

The questions and responses given during the open forum are annexed to the minutes.

1/18

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCES

2/18

MINUTES FROM PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 89 KB

3/18

DECISION TRACKER [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 87 KB

    This report updates the committee on the progress of decisions that have been made at previous meetings.

    Minutes:

    The Transport Strategy Project Manager updated that following a proposed Guildford – Godalming Greenway scheme (cycle route) being brought to the June 2018 committee by local Guildford and Godalming cycle groups, it was agreed that the route be adopted into the Guildford Cycle Plan. Surrey County Council had received funding from Highways England to undertake a feasibility study for the route and the officer was engaged with the stakeholders who had put the scheme forward and was planning a workshop to prioritise their objectives. Upon completion of this study, officers would bid for additional funding to progress the scheme to detailed design and construction. 

     

    It was commented that this was a good news story for the Committee.

     

    Members asked when the highways works in Lysons Avenue and Sheepfold Lane were likely to be completed. Officers updated that the Lysons Avenue work had been completed and said they would feedback further to Cllr Fiona White.

     

4/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i) Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii) Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest

    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial

    Minutes:

    There were no declarations of interest of made.

     

5/18

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

    To receive any Chairman’s announcements.

    Minutes:

    The Chairman asked Members who hadn’t replied to his e-mail offering a briefing from the Fire and Rescue Service on the current consultation to let the Partnership and Committee officer know if they would like one. 

     

    The Chairman also informed the Committee that the Members Allocation fund would open on 1 April 2019 and the earlier in year Members could get their bids in from community groups the better.

     

6/18

PETITIONS pdf icon PDF 88 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 14.1. An officer response will be provided to each petition.

     

    Two petitions have been received:

     

    The first petition is from Claire Jones regarding St Lawrence Primary School.  The petition is requesting a safety review, provision of a safe pedestrian access by pelican crossing or a crossing attendant.

     

    The second petition is from Michael Hammond calling on Guildford Joint Committee to bring into force parking restrictions to stop antisocial parking in Belmont Avenue.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of interest: None

     

    Officers present: Duncan Knox, Road Safety Manager, SCC

     

    Petition presented by Ms Claire Jones regarding St Lawrence Primary School, requesting a safety review, provision of a safe pedestrian access by pelican crossing or a crossing attendant. (see supplementary agenda for petition details and officer response).

     

    St Lawrence School is located on the corner of four busy roads in Effingham – Effingham Common Road, Lower Road, The Street and Orestan Lane.  The junction of these roads are served by two mini roundabouts and it is unacceptably dangerous to cross the roads to the school.There are two main points where children and parents cross to the school with no proper lights or crossing and no traffic crossing attendant.  The traffic islands are inadequate protection because of the speed of traffic on these roads and the school signage on the roads is inadequate.  There is also an exceptional amount of cars parked along and off all of these roads making it impossible for children to cross further up the roads to avoid this junction.

     

    My petition is also supported by Effingham Residents Association the Parish Council, the local church of St Lawrence and the school community. I am pleased the Safer Travel Team will carry out a safety assessment.  But at the end of the process I hope to see concrete highway improvements introduced such as a pelican crossing and a 20 mile limit in this area during school opening and closing times and a traffic crossing attendant. The school currently heavily promotes walking and cycling to school but the majority of parents will not allow this to happen especially unattended until measures are taken to make the crossings to the school safer.

     

    Member discussion - key points:

     

    The Road Safety Manager stated that the team would investigate the situation using the SCC Road Safety Policy which would also involve the police. He updated that officers had met with the Headmaster and he was very positive towards school road safety training and is committed to developing a road safety policy.  The site visit to the area was coming up in the next few days.

     

     

    Resolved:

     

    The Joint Committee agreed to:

     

     

    (i)            Agree to allow the county councils Safer Travel Team to investigate concerns raised by the Effingham Safety petition using the Road Safety Outside Schools Policy

     

    (ii)           The outcome of the safety assessment will be reported to the school and local County Councillor containing the results of the road safety education assessment and a description of any potential highway improvements and estimated costs will be brought back to a future joint committee for discussion.

     

    (iii)          Note that recommendations will include measures to encourage more sustainable travel which St Lawrence Primary School will be responsible for implementing

     

     

     

    Declarations of interest: None

     

    Officers present: Parking Manager, GBC

     

    The second petition was from Michael Hammond calling on Guildford Joint Committee to bring into force parking restrictions to stop antisocial parking in Belmont Avenue.

     

    The view when turning into the Belmont Avenue  ...  view the full minutes text for item 6/18

7/18

PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 114 KB

    To receive any questions from Surrey County Council electors within the area in accordance with Standing Order 14.2.

     

    To receive a redrafted/updated response to Mrs Joanne McGowan’s question asked at the 12 December Joint Committee: ‘How are GBC and SCC are planning to ensure that mobility and accessibility issues are first and foremost when planning new and redevelopments in Guildford town centre?’ (see supplementary agenda for officer response).

    Minutes:

    No new public questions had been received.

     

    A redrafted/updated response to Mrs Joanne McGowan’s question asked at the 12 December Joint Committee was provided to the Committee: ‘How are GBC and SCC are planning to ensure that mobility and accessibility issues are first and foremost when planning new and redevelopments in Guildford town centre?’ (see supplementary agenda for officer response).

     

    The Chairman referred to Mrs McGowan’s e-mail acknowledgement to the re-drafted officer response stating that the response was now in plain English and fully addressed what would be done in the future and that mobility would be considered in future new and re-development. All the members of the Committee were given a paper copy of Mrs McGowan’s e-mail.

     

    Members stated that they wanted to be open and transparent, it was also confirmed by officers that Mrs McGowan had been included in the distribution of the notes of the Guildford Access Group. Members asked if she had been included on the notes of any other meetings with officers, the Community Partnership Officer would enquire.

     

8/18

MEMBER QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 85 KB

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 13.

     

    A written Member Question has been received from Borough Councillor David Reeve with regard to Compton Air Quality Management Area, a response will be published shortly.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of interest: None

     

     

    Officers present:  Justine Fuller, Regulatory Services Manager, GBC and William Bryans Transport Studies Team Manager, SCC

     

     

     

     

    The Member question was from Borough Councillor David Reeve with regard to Compton Air Quality Management Area. (see supplementary agenda for Member question details and officer response).

     

    Councillor Reeve stated that: the first recommendation in the GBC Overview and Scrutiny Committee Review of Air Quality was to look at the air pollution levels in Compton. Consequently an Air Quality Management Plan was required in Compton and should have been published in February 2019. Residents are living with air pollution and the Committee should have high level expectations for addressing air pollution. The bias adjustment that is being waited for wouldn’t have make much difference to the readings.

     

     

    Member discussion - key points:

     

    Members were in agreement that they needed to take on board the officer’s view and a report on air quality in Compton would be brought to the July committee.

     

     

    Resolved:

     

    The Joint Committee noted the officer’s comments.

     

     

     

9/18

PARKING & AIR QUALITY WORKING GROUP - Air Quality Update & Priorities (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 144 KB

    At the Guildford Joint Committee meeting of 19 September 2018 a new Parking & Air Quality Working Group was established with the remit to develop an overarching air quality policy/strategy and review individual air quality management / action plans relating to the borough. The report outlines the activity of the working group and seeks approval of recommended outputs.

     

    Decision:

    The Guildford Joint Committee resolved to:

     

    (i)    agree the development of an Air Quality Priorities Plan in place of establishing an overarching policy/strategy;

     

    (ii)  agree the Air Quality Priorities Plan for 2019-20;

     

    (iii)identify any activities from the Air Quality Priorities Plan to be progressed first.

     

    Reasons:

     

    Although the Parking & Air Quality Working Group were requested to develop an overarching air quality policy/strategy, the Group considered that due to the number of existing policy and strategy documents already in place an overarching document would not be of great benefit.  Instead, the Group are proposing an Air Quality Priorities Plan.  Should this be endorsed by the Committee, then itemised activities can be progressed.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of interest: None

     

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

     

    Officers present: Justine Fuller, Regulatory Services Manager, GBC and William Bryans Transport Studies Team Manager, SCC

     

    Member discussion - key points:

     

    Officers explained that although the Air Quality Working Group was requested to develop an overarching air quality policy/strategy, the Group considered that due to the number of existing policy and strategy documents already in place an overarching document would not be of great benefit.  Instead officers had prepared a list of all air quality policies/actions that were being taken by GBC and SCC and the working group were proposing an Air Quality Priorities Plan.

     

     

    The following points were raised in discussion:

     

    1.      Members commented that a lot was being done in surrey to improve air quality and that the action plan should be a comprehensive document working together with Surrey and the 11 borough and districts. 

     

    2.      The view was expressed that this was a really comprehensive action plan and the action to promote the installation of an electric charging vehicle charging network was supported.

     

    3.      It was commented that this should be a surrey wide action plan. It was also stated that Guildford BC were the only Council to introduce Electric buses and that they also have an Easit travel scheme.

     

    4.      Members were requested to prioritise the actions in the Air Quality Priorities Plan at the next meeting of the working group. If Members would like particular actions to be prioritised they should e-mail Cllr Paul Spooner as Chairman of the Parking and Air Quality Working Group, Cllr Keith Taylor, the Regulatory Services Manager, GBC and the Transport Studies Team Manager, SCC.

     

    5.      Officers also updated on the Surrey Air Alliance DEFRA bid for a school project in Air Quality Management Areas; the bid had been submitted and if successful the work would commence this year.

     

     

     

    The Guildford Joint Committee resolved to:

     

    (i)    agree the development of an Air Quality Priorities Plan in place of establishing an overarching policy/strategy;

     

    (ii)  agree the Air Quality Priorities Plan for 2019-20;

     

    (iii)identify any activities from the Air Quality Priorities Plan to be progressed first.

     

    Reasons:

     

    Although the Parking & Air Quality Working Group were requested to develop an overarching air quality policy/strategy, the Group considered that due to the number of existing policy and strategy documents already in place an overarching document would not be of great benefit.  Instead, the Group are proposed an Air Quality Priorities Plan.  Should this be endorsed by the Committee, then itemised activities would be progressed.

     

10/18

PARKING & AIR QUALITY WORKING GROUP - PARKING RECOMMENDATIONS (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 145 KB

    As part of the Guildford Parking Strategy, a Parking review is conducted every 18 months. This report presents the recommended scope of the review as outlined by the Parking & Air Quality Working group (P&AQWG) and recommends the actions and next steps. 

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Guildford Joint Committee agreed: 

     

    to formally advertise Surrey County Council’s intention to make an order to develop and consult upon the proposals prioritised by the Parking and Air Quality Working Group (P&AQWG) below:

     

                             i.        Parking controls in Area A, B, D and northern section of Area C, be extended to operate 8.30am to 9pm, 7 days a week (seeAnnexe 1),

     

                            ii.        The limit on permits in Area D of the Controlled Parking Zone be increased, in the first instance by 10%,

     

                           iii.        To accompany the extended parking controls into evenings and Sundays, the annual household limit on visitor scratch cards be doubled,

     

                          iv.        To review the retrospective exclusion of new residential developments of 6 dwellings or more, in the Controlled Parking Zone areas A, B and D. (see Annexe 2),

     

                           v.        To address 17 issues from the non-CPZ list (see Annexe 3&4).  2 of the 17 issues will be progressed later (see item 2.4).

     

                          vi.        Introduce two formalised disabled parking bays for specific residents, (see item 2.5). 

     

     

    Reasons:

     

    To:

    i.              assist with safety, access and traffic movements,

    ii.             increase the availability of parking space and its prioritisation for various user-groups in various localities,

    iii.            make local parking improvements.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of interest: None

     

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: petition from Michael Hammond calling on Guildford Joint Committee to bring into force parking restrictions to stop antisocial parking in Belmont Avenue, refer to Item 6 Petitions.

     

    Officers present: Andy Harkin, Parking Manager, GBC and Chris Wheeler, Waste and Fleet Services Manager GBC

     

    Member discussion - key points:

     

    A query was raised about how to assist a resident who had requested that a local dual bay be changed to a shared parking bay. Officers advised that turning a dual bay to a shared bay would be making them pay and display bay and this was likely to be considered as part of the next parking review.

     

     

    The Guildford Joint Committee agreed: 

     

    to formally advertise Surrey County Council’s intention to make an order to develop and consult upon the proposals prioritised by the Parking and Air Quality Working Group (P&AQWG) below:

     

                             i.        Parking controls in Area A, B, D and northern section of Area C, be extended to operate 8.30am to 9pm, 7 days a week (seeAnnexe 1),

     

                            ii.        The limit on permits in Area D of the Controlled Parking Zone be increased, in the first instance by 10%,

     

                           iii.        To accompany the extended parking controls into evenings and Sundays, the annual household limit on visitor scratch cards be doubled,

     

                          iv.        To review the retrospective exclusion of new residential developments of 6 dwellings or more, in the Controlled Parking Zone areas A, B and D. (see Annexe 2),

     

                           v.        To address 17 issues from the non-CPZ list (see Annexe 3&4).  2 of the 17 issues will be progressed later (see item 2.4).

     

                          vi.        Introduce two formalised disabled parking bays for specific residents, (see item 2.5). 

     

     

    Reasons:

     

    To:

    i.              assist with safety, access and traffic movements,

    ii.             increase the availability of parking space and its prioritisation for various user-groups in various localities,

    iii.            make local parking improvements.

     

11/18

HIGHWAYS UPDATE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 337 KB

    This report provides an update on the 2018/19 programme of highway works funded by this committee, an update on other centrally funded projects being promoted in the local area, as well as details of expenditure on the budgets allocated to the committee in 2018/19. In addition it details the committee devolved highways allocation for 2019/20 and how it is proposed to be allocated.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Guildford Joint Committee agreed:

     

     

    (i)    To note the committee approved highways allocations and works progressed during 2018/19.

     

    (ii)  To note the committee devolved highways budget allocation for 2019/20

     

    (iii)To agree the recommendations made in the report for utilising the available highways budget for 2019/20. (Paragraph 2.1.8 - 2.1.12 and Annex 1 refers.)

     

    (iv)To delegate to the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice Chairman and Divisional Member, the ability to resolve any problems encountered to facilitate highways scheme delivery throughout the year.

     

    Reasons:

     

    The committee is asked to agree the recommendations to enable progression of highways works orders and expenditure of the Committee budget.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of interest: None

     

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Officers present: Frank Apicella, HighwaysManager, SCC

     

    Member discussion - key points:

     

     

     

    1.    The Area Highways Manager stated that budgets have changed somewhat to previous years and the imbalance has been redressed with Guildford now having one of the highest budgets.

     

    2.    The Area Highways Manager highlighted that working towards Bus Lane Enforcement in Guildford was in principle agreed at the last Committee. The Parking Working Group had recommended that this would need initial funding of £35k. The Waste and Fleet Services Manager commented that work towards Bus Lane Enforcement was in the very early stages, two possible sites had been identified that could be of most benefit. The Waste and Fleet Services Manager and the Area Highways Manager were working with Woking BC who had done a pilot on this and would be putting together a project plan to bring back to the Committee.

     

     

    3.    Members suggested using mobile cameras in bus lanes and would leave officers to look into this.

     

    4.    Members commented that Borough community transport buses aren’t always able to use bus lanes and this had been raised as a question with officers outside of the Committee. Officers informed Members that they are in Guildford but they would need to look at all bus lanes across Surrey as they all have different Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs).

     

    5.    The Area Highway Manager confirmed that Community Gang funding would only be spent in the divisional area.

     

    6.    The Area Highway Manager to send round a reminder to Members what sort of works community gangs can do.

     

     

     

    The Guildford Joint Committee agreed:

     

     

    (i)    To note the committee approved highways allocations and works progressed during 2018/19.

     

    (ii)  To note the committee devolved highways budget allocation for 2019/20

     

    (iii)To agree the recommendations made in the report for utilising the available highways budget for 2019/20. (Paragraph 2.1.8 - 2.1.12 and Annex 1 refers.)

     

    (iv)To delegate to the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice Chairman and Divisional Member, the ability to resolve any problems encountered to facilitate highways scheme delivery throughout the year.

     

    Reasons:

     

    The committee is asked to agree the recommendations to enable progression of highways works orders and expenditure of the Committee budget.

12/18

CABINET MEMBER FOR HIGHWAYS UPDATE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION)

    To receive a verbal update from the Cabinet Member for Highways, Surrey County Council.

    Minutes:

    The Cabinet Member for Highways, SCC had been planning to give a brief update on his portfolio but he needed to leave early for a residents’ meeting, however he would do an update at the July Committee.

     

13/18

FORWARD PLAN pdf icon PDF 53 KB