Agenda and draft minutes

People, Performance and Development Committee
Thursday, 11 June 2020 2.00 pm

Venue: Remote Meeting

Contact: Joss Butler 

Note: Please note that due to the Covid-19 situation this meeting will take place remotely. 

Webcast: View the webcast

Items
No. Item

28/20

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTIONS

29/20

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING - 29 April 2020 pdf icon PDF 69 KB

30/20

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

     

    (i)         Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)        Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

     

    NOTES:

     

            Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest

            As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

            Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    There were none.

31/20

QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS

    To receive any questions or petitions.

     

    Notes:

    1.  The deadline for Member’s questions is 12.00pm four working days before the meeting (5 June 2020).

    2.  The deadline for public questions is seven days before the meeting (4 June 2020).

    3.  The deadline for petitions was 14 days before the meeting, and no petitions have been received.

     

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    There were none.

32/20

ACTION REVIEW pdf icon PDF 94 KB

    For Members to consider and comment on the Committee’s actions tracker.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Witnesses:

     

    Jacqueline Foglietta, Director – HR & OD

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    1. In regards to Acton A1/20, Members noted that the document had been circulated to Members and therefore the action could be marked as complete. Members highlighted that an advert for Director of Infrastructure had recently been published yet the post was noted included within the recent document. Officers confirmed that the post was recently deleted then recreated as the Executive Director was reviewing her team.
    2. Members further highlighted that the recent director position advertisement had also advertised the council’s car leasing scheme as a working benefit. Members stating that this may not be in line with the council’s environmental priorities. The Director – HR & OD agreed to pass this feedback on to the Recruitment department.

     

    Actions/ further information to be provided:

     

    None.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    The Committee noted the actions tracker.

     

     

33/20

Forward Work Programme pdf icon PDF 103 KB

    For Members to review and comment on upcoming items due for consideration by the People, Performance and Development Committee.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Witnesses:

    Jacqueline Foglietta, Director – HR & OD

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    1. The Director informed Members that an additional item for Surrey Pay Proposals 21/22 would also be considered in September 2020. Members requested that the report included details of staff benefits including the car leasing scheme.
    2. In regards to the Moving Closer to Residents update, Members noted that it was likely to move focused on the agile working programme.
    3. Members requested an additional item on the how the council was responding to staff displaying ill health during the pandemic and how the council was supporting conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder. Members requested detail be also included on the long term impacts on the council’s staffing levels. 

     

    Actions/ further information to be provided:

     

    Surrey Pay Proposals 21/22 & additional item on how the council was responding and supporting staff who were displaying ill health during the pandemic to be added to the forward plan.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    Members noted the forward work programme.

     

34/20

Staff Survey pdf icon PDF 130 KB

    To provide the Committee with an overview of proposals for an organisation wide staff survey.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Witnesses:

    Jacqueline Foglietta, Director – HR &OD

     

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1. The Director – HR & OD introduced the report and provided a brief summary. Members noted that the report detailed proposals for a staff survey which intended to capture staff experience to date on working during the COVID-19 pandemic. An initial survey would be conducted as part of the ‘Our Conversations’ work to reach out to as many staff as possible to hear their experiences. The survey would have set themes which had been developed through conversations with staff. Following the initial survey, 25% of staff would be contacted each quarter to complete a survey which would allow for targeted and rich data and enable more targeted action.
    2. Members welcomed the approach and highlighted that many staff were currently in isolation so it was important to make contact as much as possible
    3. Members noted that it had been five years since the previous staff survey and so it was important to proceed without delay. 
    4. Members request details on the cost to the council to conduct the staff surveys. Officers agreed to circulate the information outside the meeting. 

     

    Actions/ further information to be provided:

     

    Members request details on the cost to the council to conduct the staff surveys. Officers agreed to circulate the information outside the meeting. 

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    The Committee noted the report

     

35/20

Staffing Matters in response to Covid-19 pdf icon PDF 105 KB

    To provide the Committee with an update on staffing matters in relation to Covid-19 as we move from Response to Recovery.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Witnesses:

    Jacqueline Foglietta, Director – HR & OD

     

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1. The Director introduced the report and provided a brief summary. Members noted that the report included a PowerPoint which presented an overview of workforce recovery activity across the Surrey system as well as a more detailed plan outlining how it would apply to the county council.
    2. Members endorsed the report and stated that the work being put into enhancing distance working was positive.
    3. Members noted that the majority of staff were complying with the working from home instructions however in some cases it was not possible. Officers confirmed that, unless inappropriate, staff were expected to work from home until the Government releases further guidance on easing the lockdown.
    4. Members asked whether it was possible for an officer to request to remain permanently in their redeployed role. Officers confirmed this would be dealt with on a case by case basis. Officers went on to state that some managers who had staff that were redeployed had requested that they return due to increased workloads.
    5. Officers and Members agreed that the council’s ability to make significant changes quickly was very positive and that the capacity to be flexible and make quick decisions should not be lost after the lockdown.
    6. Members agreed that working from home long term was not suitable for all staff and that some people were struggling with the lack of interaction. Officers agreed and informed the Committee that a small number of staff had returned to a council building due to the nature of their work or because of mental health reasons.
    7. Members had a discussion on the proposals to recognise staff who had contributed significantly during the lockdown. It was agreed that a financial reward may cause complications however an opportunity to nominate staff to attend a ceremony and receive a tangible reward would be more suitable. Members went on to state that it was important to make all staff feel valued. Members also asked that Head teachers were also able to nominate and receive nominations for rewards.

     

    Actions/ further information to be provided:

     

    None.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    The Committee noted the report.

     

36/20

DATE OF NEXT MEETING