Agenda and draft minutes

Surrey Local Firefighters' Pension Board - Thursday, 22 April 2021 2.00 pm

Venue: Remote via Teams

Contact: Angela Guest 

Media

Items
No. Item

34/21

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTIONS

    • Share this item

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    There were no apologies.

35/21

MINUTES FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING: 15 JANUARY 2021 pdf icon PDF 223 KB

    • Share this item

    To agree the minutes as a true record of the meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The minutes were agreed as an accurate record of the meeting.

36/21

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    • Share this item

    To receive any declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests from Members in respect of any item to be considered at the meeting.

     

    Notes:

    ·         In line with the Relevant Authorities (Disclosable Pecuniary Interests) Regulations 2012, declarations may relate to the interest of the member, or the member’s spouse or civil partner, or a person with whom the member is living as husband or wife, or a person with whom the member is living as if they were civil partners and the member is aware they have the interest.

    ·         Members need only disclose interests not currently listed on the Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests.

    ·         Members must notify the Monitoring Officer of any interests disclosed at the meeting so they may be added to the Register.

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

     

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    There were none.

37/21

QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS

    • Share this item

    To receive any questions or petitions.

     

    Notes:

     

    1. The deadline for Member’s questions is 12.00pm four working days before the meeting (16/04/2021).

    2. The deadline for public questions is seven days before the meeting (15/04/2021)

    3. The deadline for petitions was 14 days before the meeting, and no petitions have been received.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    There were none.

38/21

ACTION TRACKER pdf icon PDF 351 KB

    • Share this item

    The Board is asked to review and note its action tracker.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Witnesses:

    Clare Chambers, Pensions Service Delivery Manager

    Sally Wilson, Scheme Manager

     

    Key points raised during the discussion:

    1. A7/20 – It was reported that the administration team had reduced the number of open cases in the last quarter. It was important to reduce the backlog as far as possible before the transfer to XPS. The Pensions Service Delivery Manager would ensure that focus was given to priority tasks and then identify other batches of transactions – primarily transfers in and out - for attention. There would be a negative impact on performance statistics due to catching up on the backlog.
    2. A14 & A15 – The Board noted the update and would consider future training needs.  There was a discussion around various external meetings that happened and attended by officers.  There Chairman stated that he would log into the Scheme Advisory Board quarterly meetings.  These two tracker items to be replaced by a new item on training.
    3. A16/20 – The Scheme Manager updated on Pensionable Pay and reported that a new project manager was now in place so this and other projects could be taken forward through a Fire Pensions Programme Steering Group. A timeline for the Pensionable Pay project would be established. She explained that the Steering Group would meet monthly and this Local Firefighters’ Pensions Board would receive an update following each meeting. (This was discussed under the item of Scheme Manager Update but minuted here for ease of reference).
    4. A1/21 – The Scheme Manager reported that the administration contract with XPS had been signed the day before and the team could now get on with detailing the transition plan.  The Chairman welcomed this important step and requested that the transition plan be shared with the Board prior to the next meeting.

     

    Actions/ further information to be provided:

     

    1. A14 & A15 to be replaced by a new item on training needs.
    2. The Scheme Manager to share the XPS transition plan prior to the next meeting.
    3. That the Scheme Manager update the Local Firefighters’ Pension Board following each Programme Steering Group meeting, and a timeline for Pensionable Pay be established.

     

    Resolved:

     

    The Board noted the action tracker.

     

39/21

ADMINISTRATION UPDATE: 1 DECEMBER 2020 - 28 FEBRUARY 2021 pdf icon PDF 499 KB

40/21

SCHEME MANAGEMENT UPDATE REPORT pdf icon PDF 309 KB

    • Share this item

    The Board are asked to note the report.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Witnesses:

    Sally Wilson, Scheme Manager

    Clare Chambers, Pensions Service Delivery Manager

     

    Key points raised during the discussion:

    1. The Scheme Manager introduced her report and explained that there were several complex issues being dealt with by the service at present.  She had also attended a seminar on Immediate Detriment.
    2. The Scheme Manager reported that The Pension Regulator had released the six processes factsheet, updated to reflect the results from the Pensions Regulator’s most recent Governance and Administration survey. Scheme Managers and the Local Firefighters’  Pension Board were asked to consider the six key processes factsheet, assess which they had in place and take action to address any gaps. The six processes were:

    ·         Documented policy to manage board members conflicts of interest

    ·         Access to knowledge, understanding and skills needed to properly run the scheme

    ·         Documented procedures for assessing and managing risks

    ·         Process to monitor records for accuracy and completeness

    ·         Process for resolving contribution payment issues

    ·         Procedure to identify, assess and report breaches of the law

    1. The six key processes were in place in Surrey; however the Scheme Manager requested the support of the Board to review these processes to ensure they remained current. It was recommended that the review be undertaken by the Board Chairman and the Scheme Manager.

     

    Actions/ further information to be provided:

    None.

     

    Resolved:

     

    The Board noted the update provided and supported the review of the six key processes following the publication of the most recent TPR Governance and Administration Survey results.

     

41/21

RISK REGISTER pdf icon PDF 103 KB

    • Share this item

    The Board is asked to note the content of this report and to make recommendations of any amendments to the Surrey FFPS Risk Register.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Witnesses:

    Sally Wilson, Scheme Manager

    Clare Chambers, Pensions Service Delivery Manager

     

    Key points raised during the discussion:

    1. Risks F9i/F24 – contained a typo where employees should read employers.
    2. Risks F8/F9i – The Chairman will discuss some of the scorings with the Scheme Manager outside of the meeting as he thought some of the scorings were too low.
    3. Risk F16 – A Member had asked for this risk to be reviewed as there had been further incidences which showed that the actions were not working.  The Scheme Manager reported that she had taken the issue to the Working Group and to JCCN but nothing was raised.  The Scheme Manager to speak with Richard Jones outside of the meeting.
    4. Risk F24 -  The Board requested some re-wording of this risk as it was considered to be a financial risk which was not reflected in wording.
    5. Risk F22 – to be closed.
    6. Risk F29 – rating to be reconsidered at the next meeting.
    7. Risk F30 – the Pensions Service Delivery Manager explained that there is a SAP freeze in place to support the move to the Surrey-wide DB&I project, so a monthly i-Connect link for Fire was not possible in the initial XPS transfer. XPS were content to accept an end of year file.

     

    Actions/ further information to be provided:

    Risks F9i/F24 – amend typos

    Risks F8/F9i – to be reviewed

    Risk F16 – to be reviewed

    Risk F24 – to be re-worded

    Risk F22 – to be closed

     

    Resolved:

     

    The Board noted the report.

     

42/21

DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING

    • Share this item

    To note that the next meeting will be held on 8 August 2021.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Board noted that the next meeting would be held on 5 August 2021.