Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To endorse the proposal for the future funding of Adult Social Care Housing Related Support services arising from the formal consultation
The Cabinet agreed that:
1. Surrey County Council will no longer provide funding for Housing Related Support for people with learning, physical and sensory disabilities and services for older people; and
2. That Surrey County Council will continue to fund Housing Related Support for the socially excluded - those with mental health issues, those who are homeless or at risk of homelessness, ex-offenders and the gypsy and traveller community.
Reasons for decisions
The recommendation to cease Housing Related Support funding for older people and people with disabilities is made for the following reasons:
1. It will deliver an estimated saving of £2.8m (70% of the budget) based on the planning assumption that 30% of the budget will be needed in locality teams to meet an increase in demand from eligible needs of residents.
2. It will cease any dual funding, where Surrey County Council is funding a care package and Housing Related Support for an individual, and will mean we assess people based on their current need.
3. Local information and support is available to residents in their communities and online should they need to find out about care, community and health information and support available.
4. Evidence obtained from all other local authorities that were able to provide benchmarking information demonstrates they have already ceased and/or remodelled provision.
5. Residents will be able to ask for an assessment; if they have eligible needs they will receive a personal budget.
6. It is aligned with the Council’s Family, Friends and Communities approach to maintaining wellbeing and independence.
The recommendation to continue funding Housing Related Support servicesfor socially excluded and disadvantaged people is made for the following reasons:
1. In November 2016, Cabinet agreed housing related support services for socially excluded groups should be protected.
2. A co-designed, transparent approach has been taken with district and borough colleagues, providers and wider stakeholders.
3. The recommendation will deliver a saving of £0.9m (20% of budget) to be delivered with the minimum impact on people who use services and carers.
[The decisions on this item are subject to call in by the Adults and Health Select Committee]
Report author: Kathryn Pyper
Publication date: 26/09/2017
Date of decision: 26/09/2017
Decided at meeting: 26/09/2017 - Cabinet
Effective from: 04/10/2017