Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Information Only
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consider the month end budget report and make any recommendations as appropriate.
That the Cabinet noted the following:
The forecast revenue budget outturn for 2017/18 was £11m
overspend (Annex 1, paragraphs 1 and 8 to 43 of
the submitted report). This included:
£9m savings to be identified,
£16m savings considered unachievable in 2017/18,
£13m service demand and cost pressures
£27m underspends, additional savings and income.
2. Significant risks to the revenue budget (Annex 1, paragraphs 44 to 46 of the submitted report) could add £8m to the forecast overspend, including: £7m in Children, Schools & Families and £1m in Adult Social Care.
3. Forecast planned savings for 2017/18 total £79m against £95m agreed savings and £104m target (Annex 1, paragraph 47 of the submitted report).
4. All services continue to take all appropriate action to keep costs down and optimise income (e.g. minimising spending, managing vacancies wherever possible etc.).
5. The Section 151 Officer’s commentary and the Monitoring Officer’s Legal Implications commentary in paragraphs 16 to 19 of the submitted report, state that the council has a duty to ensure its expenditure does not exceed resources available and move towards a sustainable budget for future years.
That the Cabinet approved the following:
6. Reprofiling of £356,000 capital underspends on Superfast Broadband project from 2017/18 across 2018/19 to 2020/21 (Annex 1, paragraph 63 of the submitted report).
Reasons for Decisions
This report is presented to comply with the agreed policy of providing a monthly budget monitoring report to Cabinet for approval and action as necessary.
Report author: Kevin Kilburn
Publication date: 31/01/2018
Date of decision: 30/01/2018
Decided at meeting: 30/01/2018 - Cabinet
Effective from: 08/02/2018