Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consider the report of the Waste Task Group and to decide 1) Whether to progress with closure of four recycling centres as detailed in the Cabinet report of 29 January 2019 and 2) Whether to progress with the introduction of charges for construction wood waste.
1. That the Community Recycling Centres (CRCs) at Bagshot, Cranleigh, Dorking and Warlingham be kept open on their current operational days and that they revert to accepting wood in addition to the current types of recyclables.
2. That the Leatherhead CRC be reopened on a Friday to ensure there is always a facility close to the Dorking site which is able to accept a full range of waste. Officers would also undertake a review of the opening hours of all CRCs to determine the costs and resident benefit of extended opening hours. Any changes will be agreed by the Director for Environment, Transport and Infrastructure in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Environment & Waste.
3. That wood and roofing felt charges not be introduced at any of the CRCs and alternative savings be sought through the implementation of initiatives to reduce waste volumes further at the CRCs, for example by the use of Automatic Number Plate Recognition Cameras was approved. Further compensating savings should also be sought through initiatives to increase recycling rates at the kerbside and by seeking commercial opportunities which arise from the Government’s Resources and Waste Strategy.
4. That the existing charging scheme for rubble, soil, plasterboard and tyres be retained was approved because removal of these charges was likely to result in a significant increase in volumes of waste dealt with at the CRCs and an associated cost in the order of £2 million per year.
5. That Suez continue to develop the reuse shop offering, expanding the offering as far as possible and developing beneficial links with charities and other organisations such as HM Prison Service was approved. Officers would review the operation during 2020, exploring whether there were alternatives that could deliver better value for money with recommendations for any changes to be agreed by the Executive Director for Environment, Transport and Infrastructure in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Environment and Waste.
6. That the Cabinet Member for Waste and Environment lobby the government to remove the requirement to charge VAT at reuse shops was agreed.
7. That the Council engage with the Surrey Environmental Partnership (SEP) to help develop a renewed county-wide promotional campaign aimed at increasing the quality and quantity of recycling targeting the lowest performers and promoting increased levels of recycling at our CRCs was agreed.
8. That a strategy paper be prepared and presented to Cabinet in 2020 to take account of the Government’s Resource and Waste strategy and the changing economic drivers for the effective management of waste as a resource was agreed.
9. That an annual charge of £8.50 be introduced for van and trailer permits from 1 January 2020 was agreed.
10. That officers consider a business case for the introduction of Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras to provide data on site usage and prevent the unauthorised use of CRCs by traders was agreed.
11. That the Council, working with Surrey Environmental Partnership, deliver effective communication campaigns to increase the quality and quantity of recycling collected at the kerbside and at the CRCs was agreed.
Reason for Decision:
To implement the recommendations of the Cabinet that were agreed at their meeting on 29 January 2019 taking into account the report of the Waste Task Group that was considered at the Communities, Environment and Highways Select Committee on 19 September 2019.
[The decisions on this item can be called in by the Communities, Environment & Highways Select Committee]
Report author: Richard Parkinson
Publication date: 30/10/2019
Date of decision: 29/10/2019
Decided at meeting: 29/10/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 07/11/2019