Decision Maker: Executive Director Children, Families Lifelong Learning and Culture
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
Surrey County Council (SCC) is looking for a consultancy partner with deep expertise and experience of the social care sector, in addition to key adjacent services that interact in safeguarding children and young people (including Health, SEND & Adult Social Services), to undertake a diagnostic in relation to Surrey children’s social care, to understand whether there are opportunities to deliver services better and/or more cost effectively while continuing to meet children’s needs. The consultancy partner should bring a robust and accurate diagnostic methodology, with proven success working on the specific challenges and hypotheses detailed below with upper-tier county authorities and ability to mobilise immediately and deliver by 1 April 2024.
It was AGREED that:
1. A contract is awarded to Newton Europe Limited under the CROWN COMMERCIAL SERVICES (CCS) RM6187 MANAGEMENT CONSULTANCY FRAMWORK THREE (MCF3) Lot 3 – Complex & Transformation.
A) the specialist expertise and experience in children’s service required to bring to the diagnostic. Newton Europe has a unique offer in the context of Surrey children’s social care services, robust methodology and proven experience in this are: specifically:
· A diagnostic methodology designed by Newton Europe that is accurate and robust to the extent that the delivery partner is prepared to put 100% of their fees at risk on the basis of achieving the opportunities identified during the diagnostic.
· Ability to rapidly mobilise a team of full-time employed individuals, without need for sub-contractors or associated, thereby providing a guarantee of consistency and quality of diagnostic support.
· Deep subject-matter expertise and proven track-record, not only in children’s social care services, but also key adjacent services that interact in safeguarding children and young people:
o Adult social care services (through transitions)
o SEND (through CWD)
o Healthcare services (physical and mental health)
· Experience of having worked in people services (children’s social care, SEND, adult social care and housing) in over 50 local authorities in England
· Experience and expertise in the specific challenges faced by upper-tier county authorities, with strong links into key industry bodies such as the County Councils Network
B) the speed with which the local authority requires this diagnostic to be initiated (no later than January 2024) and complete (19th April 2024).
The timeframe for findings is critical to the effective implementation of the next phase of transformation activity at pace. This is amplified by the wider change context, with SCC Chief Executive transition, anticipated UK elections, and preparation for imminent Ofsted ILACS inspection.
See procurement report
See procurement report
Publication date: 05/02/2024
Date of decision: 25/01/2024