Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
This report is to confirm the council’s commitment to the Accommodation with Care and Support Strategy. To endorse our ambition to deliver an additional 2000 units of extra care, including 724 affordable units, over the next ten years.To endorse our ambition to deliver 700 additional units of independent living over the next five years. To delegate authority to the Cabinet Member for ASC and Executive Director for ASC on the decision for all future developments. To agree to resource the dedicated development team to deliver the strategy.
1. That commitment to the Adult Social Care Accommodation with Care and Support Strategy as approved by Cabinet on 30 October 2018 was reaffirmed.
2. Cabinet endorsed its ambition to deliver:
a. sufficient units of affordable extra care housing to reduce the council’s reliance on traditional residential and nursing care over the next ten years; and
b. sufficient additional units of independent living to support people with a learning disability and/or autism over the next five years.
3. That the existing pipeline schemes that have been identified as suitable for extra care housing:
a. are assessed against the criteria and the process set out in the Asset and Place Strategy; and
b. have full business cases developed and submitted to Cabinet for consideration and (if appropriate) approval at its meeting in October 2019, was agreed.
4. That the use of available delegated powers to acquire individual units in existing or new developments, and for larger acquisitions to be brought forward to Cabinet for approval was endorsed.
5. That the overall programme be included in the budget report and capital programme to be brought forward in January 2020 was agreed.
6. That all other existing vacant sites be reviewed in accordance with the Asset and Place Strategy for their potential development as extra care or independent living accommodation, and that suitable sites were brought forward to Cabinet for approval once the business case was developed be agreed.
7. That a dedicated team be resourced within Adult Social Care to deliver the project in line with the Accommodation with Care and Support Strategy was agreed.
Reason for Decision:
To ensure the Council delivers its Accommodation with Care and Support Strategy and Community Vision for Surrey 2030.
[The decisions on this item can be called in by the Adults & Health Select Committee]
Report author: Mike Boyle
Publication date: 17/07/2019
Date of decision: 16/07/2019
Decided at meeting: 16/07/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 25/07/2019