Agenda and minutes

Surrey Heath Local Committee
Thursday, 10 March 2016 6.00 pm

Venue: Camberley Theatre, Knoll Road, Camberley GU15 3SY

Contact: David Hall  Surrey County Council Surrey Heath Borough Council, Surrey Heath House, Knoll Road, Camberley, GU15 3HD

Note: Official Meeting starts at 6.30pm open public questions at 6pm 

Items
No. Item

1/16

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

2/16

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING pdf icon PDF 135 KB

    To agree the Minutes of the last meeting.

    Minutes:

    The Minutes of the last meeting were agreed by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.

     

    It was noted that as the Committee’s decisions for items 8 and 9 were against the recommendations in the reports, they had been referred to the Cabinet Member for Highways, Transport and Flooding for decision.

     

    His decision was that the decision taken by Surrey Heath Local Committee to reduce the speed to 30mph not be endorsed and that the speed limit remains at 40mph.

     

    The following actions were agreed to be taken forward:

     

    1.         That the Highways Department would draw up a history of accident statistics on the A322.

    2.         That a meeting with Surrey Police, Parish Councillors, the Cabinet Member and Highways Officers will be facilitated for residents to express concerns over keeping the speed limit at 40mph.

    3.         That the new major development near the Browns Factory be flagged to the Transport and Planning Department.

    4.         The Cabinet Member to respond to Adrian Page regarding highlighting the reasons why the A322 at Knaphill is a 30mph speed limit.

    5.         That the original petition presented to the Local Committee will be included as part of the minutes.

     

    It was noted that colleagues working on Project Horizon were currently reassessing and prioritising future work and it was anticipated that an update would be issued in April.

     

3/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    To receive any declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests from Members in respect of any item to be considered at the meeting.

     

    Notes:

    ·        In line with the Relevant Authorities (Disclosable Pecuniary Interests) Regulations 2012, declarations may relate to the interest of the member, or the member’s spouse or civil partner, or a person with whom the member is living as husband or wife, or a person with whom the member is living as if they were civil partners and the member is aware they have the interest.

     

    ·        Members need only disclose interests not currently listed on the Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests.

     

    ·        Members must notify the Monitoring Officer of any interests disclosed at the meeting so they may be added to the Register.

     

    ·        Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

     

    Minutes:

    There were no pecuniary declarations of interest made at the meeting. 

     

4/16

PETITIONS

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting.

     

    Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    Three new petitions have been received since the last meeting:

     

    1)    Petition to address the road safety concerns relating to inappropriate/unsuitable HGV/PSV use on Lucas Road, West End

    2)    Petition to stop directing HGV traffic through West End, Bisley, Knaphill, Brookwood to Woking.

    3)    Petition to urgently complete a strategic review of the impacts the Windsor and Maidenhead decision will have on both Windlesham and Chobham, particularly the safety and health of residents and to agree what measures are necessary to protect residents and motorists.

     

     

     4.1        Petition to address the road safety concerns relating to inappropriate/unsuitable HGV/PSV use on Lucas Road, West End

     

    Lucas Green Rd a country lane in a residential area, is totally unsuitable to carry large HGV vehicles (many over 11m in length). The road has a number of sharp bends where visibility is severely reduced, combined with the road not being wide enough for vehicles to pass each other forcing them to mount pavements, reverse hundreds of meters and destroying grass verges. This rural road is located in the Green Belt, is a cycle route and a conservation area – the road needs to be used by residents cars, pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders without fear for their own personal safety.

     

    1. Road safety issues re. collisions/confrontations in narrow bends, resulting in road use fear for car drivers, cyclists, horses and pedestrians.

     

    2. Restricted width/bends that make it a continual safety hazard/inappropriate highway for HGVs, articulated trucks and coaches.

     

    3. Un-footpathed sections - a serious risk to pedestrians.

     

    4. Inappropriate location for operating HGV’s/PSV’s – other local urban industrial sites are more suitable.

     

    5. Increased traffic urbanisation of a rural/green belt area with associated disturbance to residents and conservation area.

     

    The petition closed in February 2016 and was signed by 132 people.

     

    The lead petitioner Mrs Helen Loney will attend and address the Committee.

     

     4.2        Petition to stop directing HGV traffic through West End, Bisley, Knaphill, Brookwood to Woking.

     

    SCC have erected a sign on Lightwater bypass approaching West End that directs HGV onto A322/A324 to Woking. The reason being to deter HGV passing through Chobham High Street en route to Woking. An alternative route should be promoted to use M3/M25 of which this route has significantly less residential built up areas. The alternative route would facilitate good fuel efficiency, lessen damaging environmental emissions in built up areas, reduce noise and disturbance for a significant amount of people that reside on A322/A324. The journey times are not significantly different to outweigh the potential huge benefits to residents.

     

    The petition closed in February 2016 and was signed by  ...  view the full agenda text for item 4/16

    Minutes:

    There were three petitions received by the local committee:

     

    a)    Petition to address the road safety concerns relating to inappropriate/unsuitable HGV/PSV use on Lucas Green Road, West End presented by Mrs Helen Loney

    b)    Petition to stop directing HGV traffic through West End, Bisley, Knaphill, Brookwood to Woking presented by Graham Alleway.

    c)    Petition for SCC to urgently complete a strategic review of the impacts the Windsor and Maidenhead decision will have on both Windlesham and Chobham, particularly the safety and health of residents and to agree what measures are necessary to protect residents and motorists presented by C Cllr Mike Goodman.

    The Committee noted that it would receive reports in response to the first two petitions at the next meeting.

     

    In response to the third petition, The Local Committee (Surrey Heath) agreed to support the call for a strategic review.

     

5/16

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS

    To answer any written questions from residents or businesses within the area in accordance with Standing Order 69.  Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer by 12 noon, four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    There were two written public questions raised.  The questions and answers given at the meeting are attached as Annexe A.

     

6/16

WRITTEN MEMBERS QUESTIONS

7/16

DECISION TRACKER [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 130 KB

    The Decision Tracker report enables members to see what has happened following decisions taken at a previous Local Committee meeting.  Items are removed after they have been reported as complete.

     

    Minutes:

    The Committee noted the progress made on the decision tracker.

     

8/16

SCHOOL TRAVEL PLANS - PROGRESS REPORT [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 203 KB

    Mrs Sarah Akerman, School Sustainable Travel Officer will present this report.

    Minutes:

    The Local Committee considered a report provided to raise awareness of the issues local communities face travelling to and from school and the impact School Travel Plans have on reducing congestion, pollution and road traffic incidents.

     

    It provided the Committee with an update on the work being undertaken by the Schools Sustainable Travel team and highlighted schools that needed additional support to complete their Travel Plan.

     

    Supporting the County’s school expansion programme has been a priority for the Travel Team in helping schools develop Travel Plans. Completed Travel Plans form part of the planning conditions which must be discharged as part of the permitted expansion. These plans should help mitigate the transportation impact from a school expansion. The School Sustainable Travel Team organises and delivers a number of measures to support the schools achieving this.

     

    Sarah Akerman (School Sustainable Travel Officer) presenting the item requested Members to contact schools within their Divisions to encourage them to undertake reviews of their travel plans and take advantage of other transport related initiatives available.

     

    It was suggested that in view of the difficulties in recruiting school crossing patrol officers in some areas it might be suitable to seek volunteers.  It was also noted that the Eco-School project was an excellent initiative covering a wide range of environmental issues which benefitted the whole school. It was noted that with the proposed move to create more academies the influence of the County Council would reduce.

     

    The Local Committee (Surrey Heath) noted the School Travel Plans (Surrey Heath) - Progress Report.

     

     

9/16

PETITION RESPONSE - FRIMLEY GREEN TRAFFIC LIGHTS [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 161 KB

    Mr Andy Stokes, Principle Transport Development Planning Officer will present this report.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Local Committee considered a report responding to a petition received at the last meeting requesting a review of the decision to install four-way traffic lights in Frimley Green as part of the planning mitigation for the Deepcut development known as Mindenhurst.

     

    Andy Stokes (Principal Transport Development Planning Officer) presenting the item explained that the existing junctions in the area were analysed using recognised transport modelling software to understand the impacts at specific locations. The results considered the existing levels of congestion and what might occur in the future from both the impact of the development and from a predicted year on year general increase in traffic.

     

    The developer is currently required to provide the junction improvements within 42 months of the commencement of development or prior to the occupation of 450 dwellings. This trigger point was agreed in order that the works are constructed to cater for the impact as it arises and not before. It is currently anticipated that this point would be reached towards the end of 2019.

     

    The proposed works include the widening of Frimley Green Road utilising part of Frimley Green.  Advice has been sought from SCC’s Legal Services regarding the status of Frimley Green. The land is a registered common under the Commons Registration Act 1965. In order to complete the works prior consent will be required from the Secretary of State under s38 of the Commons Act 2006. The landowner (Surrey Heath Borough Council) will be required to make the application. If the application is unsuccessful a lesser scheme that does not include controlled pedestrian crossings could be delivered that would reduce the impact of the Deepcut development.

     

    The Local Committee (Surrey Heath) agreed:

     

    (i)            To note the contents and conclusions of this report and

    (ii)           To arrange a meeting to include the two key petitioners, Surrey Highways, Surrey Heath Planning and the developers to explore possible alternative solutions.

     

10/16

PETITION RESPONSE - TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT PLAN FOR RED ROAD, LIGHTWATER [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 390 KB

    Mr Andrew Milne, Area Highways Manager will present this report.

     

    Minutes:

    The Committee considered a report responding to a petition that had been received at its last meeting.

     

    Andrew Milne (Area Highways Manager NW) presenting this item pointed out that no road in Surrey had a traffic management plan. The report covered a number of issues that had been raised and identified possible ways forward.

     

    Following the reduction in the speed limit on Red Road to 50mph, Surrey County Council undertook traffic surveys at the four locations where surveys were carried out in 2007 prior to the introduction of the lower speed limit. A comparison between the 2007 and 2013 data showed that the average vehicle speed has reduced at all 4 sites since the speed limit was reduced.  At three of the sites the reduction in average speed was regarded as significant.

     

    Whilst there has been some variation in the location of the collisions the total number remained relatively similar from 2012 to 2014 and none of the junctions has a particularly poor safety record.  However, it is noticeable that a greater number of collisions occurred in 2015 and that this was specifically caused by a significant increase in collisions at the junction with MacDonald Road.  The majority of these accidents have involved vehicles turning right out of MacDonald Road.

     

    Concerns about the MacDonald Road junction have been raised by residents in the past and a number of proposals have been considered. The most popular of these options is to signalise the junction and this would help reduce the risk of collisions involving vehicles turning right out of McDonald Road.  However, traffic signals on Red Road would adversely affect the flow of traffic along Red Road and increase the risk of rear end collisions during peak hours (due to limited forward visibility to the west of the junction).

     

    The section of Red Road between The Maultway and MacDonald Road is due to be resurfaced as part of Project Horizon before March 2018.  A detailed analysis of the road surface condition over the remaining section of Red Road is planned since there has been a pattern of accidents occurring in wet conditions.

     

    SCC’s Road Safety Team has a proposed safety improvement scheme for the junction of Red Road and Lightwater Road which is due to be implemented spring/summer 2016.

     

    The Local Committee (Surrey Heath) agreed:

     

    (i)            To note the contents and conclusions of this report and

    (ii)           Surrey County Council’s Area Highway and Road Safety Teams continue to closely monitor safety issues associated with Red Road and undertake detailed analysis of collision data.

    (iii)          To note that the County Council’s Road Safety Team have a safety improvement scheme proposed for the junction of Red Road with Lightwater Road which is due to be implemented during spring/summer 2016.

    (iv)         there has been a reduction in average vehicle speeds for Red Road following the introduction of the reduced speed limit of 50mph and a series of other improvements.

    (v)          there has been a significant improvement in the recent safety record for the section  ...  view the full minutes text for item 10/16

11/16

PETITION RESPONSE - REQUEST FOR A PELICAN CROSSING ON THE PORTSMOUTH ROAD, FRIMLEY [FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 316 KB

    Mr Andrew Milne, Area Highways Manager will present this report.

     

    Minutes:

    The Committee considered a report responding to a petition that had been received at its last meeting requesting the installation of a pelican crossing on Portsmouth Road, Frimley by the entrance to the Grove County Primary School.

     

    Andrew Milne (Area Highways Manager NW) presenting this item reported that a school crossing patrol officer previously helped pedestrians cross the A325 Portsmouth Road near the gate to the Grove County Primary School at the start and end of the school day.  Unfortunately, there is no school crossing patrol operating at present and the Headteacher is actively seeking to recruit a new officer.

     

    If the school crossing patrol can be reinstated then this would provide an appropriate way of assisting pedestrians to cross safety at the times of the day when there is the greatest demand to cross Portsmouth Road.

     

    A speed survey undertaken over 7 days recorded an average speed slightly higher than would be desired for a 30mph speed limit (although speeds were found to be lower at the times when the greatest numbers of pedestrians cross the road).  As such, it was recommended that the location be assessed for inclusion in the Surrey Heath speed management plan.

     

    The Local Committee (Surrey Heath) agreed that:

     

    (i)            a pedestrian survey is undertaken to assess how many pedestrians cross Portsmouth Road throughout the day at the location referred to in the petition.

    (ii)           the County Council supports the school in trying to re-establish a School Crossing Patrol at the existing uncontrolled pedestrian crossing near the school gate on Portsmouth Road.

    (iii)       if the school is unable to recruit a new School Crossing Patrol Officer and the pedestrian survey indicates that pedestrians cross at the location throughout the day, a proposal to introduce a signalised pedestrian crossing is added to the list of schemes to be assessed for inclusion in the Local Committee’s programme of works for 2017/18.

     

    (iv)       the section of Portsmouth Road between its junction with Chobham Road and the start of the 40mph speed limit is assessed for inclusion in the Surrey Heath Speed Management Plan.

     

     

12/16

PETITION RESPONSE - REQUEST FOR A ZEBRA CROSSING ON THE KINGSTON ROAD, CAMBERLEY [FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 128 KB

    Mr Andrew Milne, Area Highways Manager will present this report.

     

    Minutes:

    The Committee considered a report responding to a petition that had been received at its meeting on the 12 March 2015 requesting the installation of a Zebra Crossing on Kingston Road, Old Dean.

     

    Andrew Milne (Area Highways Manager NW) presenting this item reported that a review of the existing traffic calming and pedestrian crossing features outside Collingwood College has been undertaken jointly by Surrey County Council and Surrey Police.

     

    The review determined that the combination of the traffic calming features and pedestrian facilities help maintain an appropriate balance between vehicle and pedestrian movements, with pedestrians generally being able to cross the road without difficulty.

     

    The review also noted that Kingston Road has a good safety record with no personal injury collisions having occurred near the location of the requested zebra crossing in the last 10 years and only one slight personal injury collision having occurred along the complete length of the road in the last 3 years.

     

    Thanks were recorded for the two Collingwood students who compiled and presented the petition.

     

    The Local Committee (Surrey Heath) agreed that:

     

    (i)            No further action is taken at present and the existing raised table and priority give-way are retained.

    (ii)           The condition of the raised table will be assessed and any repairs necessary to ensure it continues to function as intended will be arranged.

     

13/16

PETITION RESPONSE - STOP THROUGH TRAFFIC USING BAGSHOT VILLAGE AS A SHORT CUT TO THE M3 [FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 267 KB

    Mr Andrew Milne, Area Highways Manager will present this report.

     

    Minutes:

    The Committee considered a report responding to a petition that had been received at its last meeting requesting the closure of High Street to through traffic from the M3.

     

    Andrew Milne (Area Highways Manager NW) presenting this item explained that public through roads would only be permanently closed in exceptional circumstances and only when there are compelling highway reasons to do so.

    In this instance there was not considered to be sufficient justification to give further consideration to closing Bagshot High Street to through traffic which would have a negative impact on the businesses in Bagshot.

     

    The Local Committee noted that a developer contribution has been secured as part of the planning permission for the Bagshot Waitrose development to introduce highway improvements in Bagshot village centre.  Proposals for road safety and environmental enhancement measures will therefore be developed for consultation.

     

    The Local Committee (Surrey Heath) agreed:

     

    (i)            that no further action is taken and that Bagshot High Street is retained as a through road.

     

     

14/16

HIGHWAYS UPDATE [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 443 KB

    Mr Andrew Milne, Area Highways Manager will present this report.

     

    Minutes:

    The Committee considered a report on the position of the 2015/16 schemes funded by the Local Committee, and the proposed schemes for 2016/17. Andrew Milne (Area Highways Manager NW) presented this item. 

     

    It was noted that the Local Committee Highways budget for 2016/17 had now been agreed by Cabinet.  Although the Revenue budget remained unchanged, the Capital budget had been reduced by £38k.

     

    It was noted that the new road surface outside Frimley Park Hospital did not match very well with the existing road surface.  It was accepted that there had been some issues of quality which had been drawn to the contractor’s attention.  It was understood that this would be resurfaced under Operation Horizon.

     

    It was agreed that Paul Druce should be invited to a future Private Members’ Meeting to report on issues relating to the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL), Planning Infrastructure Contributions (PIC) and Section 106 arrangements.

     

    The Local Committee (Surrey Heath) agreed:

     

    (i)            To note the progress with the ITS highways and developer funded schemes,and revenue funded works for the 2015/16 financial year.

    (ii)           To note the budgetary position.

    (iii)          To note that a further Highways Update be presented at the next meeting of this Committee.

     

15/16

MEMBER ALLOCATION [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 154 KB

    This report is for information and shows spend to date from Member Allocations Funding for the 2015/16 Financial Year.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    There was an update report on the funding the Surrey County Councillors receive to spend on local projects that help to promote social, economic or environmental well-being in the neighbourhoods and communities of Surrey. This funding is known as Members’ Allocation. Michelle Collins (Community Partnerships Team Leader - West Surrey) presented this item.

     

    For the financial year 2015/16 the County Council has allocated £10,296 revenue funding to each County Councillor.

     

    The Local Committee (Surrey Heath) noted

     

    (i)            the amounts that have been spent from the Members’ Allocation budget, as set out in Annexe 1 of the report.  Only £21.78 of the available £61,776 remained unspent.  Evidence would be requested from the organisations benefitting from funding that it had been used for the purpose intended.

     

16/16

FORWARD PLAN [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 72 KB

17/16

Written Public Questions - Annexe A pdf icon PDF 371 KB

18/16

Informal Public Questions - Annexe B pdf icon PDF 140 KB