Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Elmbridge Local Committee
Monday, 26 November 2018 4.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Elmbridge Civic Centre, High Street, Esher, KT10 9SD

Contact: Nicola Morris, Partnership Committee Officer  Community Partnerships & Safety Team, 2nd Floor, Epsom Town Hall, The Parade, Epsom KT18 5BY

Link: Click here for Podcast

Items
No. Item

OPEN FORUM pdf icon PDF 54 KB

The questions and responses to the matters raised in the Open Forum are attached to the minutes.

40/18

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTIONS

41/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    There were no declarations of interest.

42/18

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

    To receive any Chairman’s announcements.

    Minutes:

    The Chairman congratulated County Councillor Tim Oliver on his election as Leader of the County Council Conservative Group and offered his best wishes for future success.  He will now be nominated as the new SCC Leader at the next County Council meeting. 

43/18

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS AND STATEMENTS pdf icon PDF 67 KB

    To answer any questions or receive a statement from any member of the public who lives, works or studies in the Elmbridge Borough area in accordance with Standing Order 69.  Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer at least by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    Two questions were received.  The questions and responses are set out in the supplementary agenda for the meeting.  The following additional question was asked in relation to question 2:

     

    Would it be possible to vary the county council matrix for road repair to operate differently for concrete roads?  The Area Highway manager responded that the matrix is a strong guide, but can be varied if a safety issue is apparent.  It may be possible to consider other funding streams available to the Local Committee.  However demand always exceeds the budget available. Rectory Close is unlikely to be a high priority under the current centrally funded capital investment programme criteria. The divisional member commented that there are many similar roads in Elmbridge and asked that if a trial is planned for removing the asphalt layer, it could perhaps take place in this area.  Members commented that although the defects may not be classed as safety defects, they do present problems for both cyclists and pedestrians and this should be taken into account.

     

44/18

PETITIONS pdf icon PDF 82 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68.  Notice should be given in writing or by e-mail to the Partnership Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting.  Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    Two petitions has been received and officer responses are provided.

     

    Ember Lane – Petition to implement traffic calming measures to reduce speeds.

     

    177 signatures. Lead Petitioner – Mrs Jo Cochran

     

    Sopwith Drive – Petition to Create safe pedestrian access for children and the disabled to Brooklands Community Park, the Children’s Nursery and Brooklands Retail Park

     

    306 signatures. Lead petitioner - Marion Malcher, Footpath Officer, Byfleet, West Byfleet & Pyrford Residents Association

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Elmbridge) agreed:

     

    Ember Lane

     

    That funding be allocated from the Committee’s parking surplus to fund a feasibility study in Ember Lane to inform a decision on what work, if any, may be required in the area to improve safety.

     

    Sopwith Drive

     

    To support and work with the Woking Joint Committee should it prioritise and promote a feasibility study for suitable measures in the area to improve pedestrian safety.

     

    Reasons: to respond to issues raised by local residents in the form of petitions to the Committee.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: Two petitions were received

     

    Petition 1 – Ember Lane

     

    The petitioner indicated that she was representing a number of local residents concerned at the excessive speed of vehicles on this road.  The sharp bend takes drivers by surprise and it is fortunate that there has not been a serious injury to a pedestrian as cars have mounted the pavement.  The situation is particularly bad at night when there is less traffic.  The road is used my many children who walk to four local schools and is also a regularly used cycle route.

     

    Petition 2 – Sopwith Drive

     

    The petitioner indicated that several schemes had been proposed in this area over a number of years and residents have now been waiting for action for some time.  There is no safe crossing where the footpath crosses the road, particularly for those with children, refuges are not considered suitable for vulnerable children.  In addition many park users also go to and from Tesco car park there is no safe crossing and no pavement at the park entrance.

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    Petition 1 – Members indicated that this is a road used by people from a wide area and they are aware of several serious incidents probably resulting from the two sharp bends in the road which often take drivers by surprise.  Local people have not seen any police enforcement activity.  It was suggested that hatching in the centre of the road can encourage speeding and adding a cycle lane to the side to bring traffic to the centre of the road may help.  They were supportive of a feasibility study to identify possible options for improvement.

     

    Petition 2 – Local members were aware of a need in this area and it was suggested that this could perhaps be considered through the Brooklands Accessibility Project.  They were happy to work with members of the Woking Joint Committee.

     

    Resolved:

     

    Ember Lane

     

    That funding be allocated from the Committee’s parking surplus to fund a feasibility study in Ember Lane to inform a decision on what work, if any, may be required in the area to improve safety.

     

    Sopwith Drive

     

    To support and work with the Woking Joint Committee should it prioritise and promote a feasibility study for suitable measures in the area to improve pedestrian safety.

     

    Reasons: to respond to issues raised by local residents in the form of petitions to the Committee.

45/18

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 75 KB

46/18

MEMBER QUESTION TIME pdf icon PDF 60 KB

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47. Notice should be given in writing to the Partnership Committee Officer by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Elmbridge) agreed

     

    That funding be allocated from the Committee’s parking surplus to fund a feasibility study in the vicinity of the Blundel Lane railway bridge to inform a decision on what work, if any, may be required in the area to improve safety of non-motor vehicle users.

     

    Reasons:  To respond to residents’ concerns over the safety of this stretch of highway.

     

    Minutes:

    One question was received.  The question and response is set out in the supplementary agenda for the meeting.

     

    Local members agree that this is a high priority as it connects two communities and there have been a number of incidents.

     

    Resolved:

     

    That funding be allocated from the Committee’s parking surplus to fund a feasibility study in the vicinity of the Blundel Lane railway bridge to inform a decision on what work, if any, may be required in the area to improve the safety of non-motor vehicle users.

     

    Reasons:  To respond to residents’ concerns over the safety of this stretch of highway.

     

47/18

ELMBRIDGE PARKING REVIEW 2018-19 [EXECUTIVE ITEM - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 84 KB

    To consider the outcome of a review of parking covering the whole borough, and recommendations to changes to parking, waiting and loading restrictions.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Elmbridge) agreed:

     

    (i)    The county council’s intention to introduce the proposals as detailed in Annex 1 is formally advertised, and subject to statutory consultation, including the following amendments:
    Drawings 1 and 2 – add two additional bays at the north-east of Bridge Road with a 30 minute limit and extend the bays on Creek Road outside numbers 13/15
    Manordene Close, Thames Ditton to advertise double yellow lines on one side of the close
    .

           Consider changing the hours of operation of the proposed zig zag restrictions in Thames Street to ensure that they correspond with school start and finish times.  If necessary, amend the existing zig zags to match.

    (ii)   The county council’s intention to carry out informal consultations and, subject to satisfactory responses, refine the proposals as detailed in Annex 2 before being formally advertised and subject to statutory consultation;

    (iii)  If objections are received the Parking Strategy and Implementation Team Manager is authorised to try and resolve them;

    (iv)  If any objections cannot be resolved, the Parking Strategy and Implementation Team Manager, in consultation with the Chairman/Vice Chairman of this committee and the county councillor for the division, decides whether or not they should be acceded to and therefore whether the order should be made, with or without modifications:

     

    (v)   To note the locations where we have received requests for new or amended parking controls, and following analysis, have recommended no changes at the current time, as detailed in Annex 3;

     

    (vi)  That officers in consultation with members be asked to look at the impact of extending residents parking to Dorchester Road, Gascoigne Road Weybridge and take this forward if appropriate and also to consider a change in the hours for existing resident parking in the area eg Limes Road and Minorca Road to correspond with local car parks.

     

    Reasons:  Changes to the highway network, the built environment and society mean that parking behaviour changes and consequently it is necessary for a Highway Authority to carry out regular reviews of waiting and parking restrictions on the highway network.

     

    It is recommended that the waiting restrictions in this report are progressed as they will help to:

          Improve road safety

          Increase access for emergency vehicles

          improve access to shops, facilities and businesses

          Increase access for refuse vehicles, buses and service vehicles

          Reduce traffic congestion

         Better regulate parking

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Adrian Harris, Parking Engineer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    It was noted that 310 requests for changes to on street parking restrictions had been received for consideration in this review including 19 petitions.

     

    Whilst members sympathised with the difficulties faced by residents finding a parking space close to home when living near to Weybridge town centre, extending residents parking in a piecemeal way would probably impact on other roads. A review of the whole area taking account development taking place would be preferable.  However it was agreed to look at the issue and consider the possible impact of an extension of resident only parking.  It was noted that Elmbridge Borough Council are considering and extension of the chargeable parking hours in their car parks and there may be a need to adjust resident parking hours to match.

     

    The Parking Engineer was thanked for his work on the review and his excellent knowledge of the area and the issues.

     

    Resolved:

     

    (i)    That the county council’s intention to introduce the proposals as detailed in Annex 1 is formally advertised, and subject to statutory consultation, including the following amendments:
    Drawings 1 and 2 – add two additional bays at the north-east of Bridge Road with a 30 minute limit and extend the bays on Creek Road outside numbers 13/15
    Manordene Close, Thames Ditton to advertise double yellow lines on one side of the close.

           Consider changing the hours of operation of the proposed zig zag restrictions in Thames Street to ensure that they correspond with school start and finish times.  If necessary, amend the existing zig zags to match.

    (ii)   That the county council’s intention to carry out informal consultations and, subject to satisfactory responses, refine the proposals as detailed in Annex 2 before being formally advertised and subject to statutory consultation;

    (iii)  That if objections are received the Parking Strategy and Implementation Team Manager is authorised to try and resolve them;

    (iv)  That if any objections cannot be resolved, the Parking Strategy and Implementation Team Manager, in consultation with the Chairman/Vice Chairman of this committee and the county councillor for the division, decides whether or not they should be acceded to and therefore whether the order should be made, with or without modifications:

     

    (v)   To note the locations where we have received requests for new or amended parking controls, and following analysis, have recommended no changes at the current time, as detailed in Annex 3;

     

    (vi)  That officers in consultation with members be asked to look at the impact of extending residents parking to Dorchester Road, Gascoigne Road Weybridge and take this forward if appropriate and also to consider a change in the hours for existing resident parking in the area eg Limes Road and Minorca Road to correspond with local car parks.

     

    Reasons:  Changes to the highway network, the built environment and society mean that parking behaviour changes and consequently it is necessary for a Highway Authority to carry out  ...  view the full minutes text for item 47/18

48/18

HIGHWAYS UPDATE [EXECUTIVE ITEM - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 375 KB

    This report summarises progress with the Local Committee’s programme of Highways works for the current Financial Year 2018-19.

     

    Normally at this time in the Committee’s annual meeting cycle, the Area Highway Manager would make recommendations for specific projects for the following Financial Year’s programmes of works.  This enables timely preparation of projects.  The Local and Joint Committees’ Highways budgets for next Financial Year 2019-20 have not yet been confirmed.  This means that the Area Highway Manager is unable to make specific recommendations in this regard.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Elmbridge) agreed:

     

    (i)    To delegate authority to the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Members, to decide programmes of projects for next Financial Year 2019-20, as and when Committee’s Highways budgets for 2019-20 are confirmed;

    (ii)   To add two schemes, in addition to those referred to elsewhere in the minutes, to the forward programme for feasibility studies, to be funded from the parking surplus;

    (iii)  To authorise a new Bus Stop Clearway to be implemented as part of the Ashley School Road Safety Outside Schools scheme;

    (iv)  Authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

     

    Reasons:  Recommendations are made to facilitate development of Committee’s 2019-20 Highways programmes, while at the same time ensuring that the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Members are fully and appropriately involved in any detailed considerations.

    Committee is asked to provide the necessary authorisation to deliver its programmes of work in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Member without the need to revert to the Committee as a whole.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    The Area Highway Manager reported that since the publication of the report the Local Committee highway budget for 2019/20 had been confirmed.  This will comprise approximately £182,000 of capital funding and each member will receive £7,500k of revenue funding.  The Committee was asked whether it wished to continue to support the Street Smart programme provided by Elmbridge Borough Council.  £40K had been allocated to this previously and if this is to continue each member will have to contribute £4,450 of their revenue funding.  Members valued the work carried out by Street Smart, but were reluctant to commit so much of the limited funding available to them for revenue funded activity.  It was suggested that Elmbridge Borough Council could be approached to see if they would be prepared to share the cost provided all members are prepared to make a contribution.

     

    Resolved:

     

    (i)    To delegate authority to the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Members, to decide programmes of projects for next Financial Year 2019-20, as and when Committee’s Highways budgets for 2019-20 are confirmed;

    (ii)   To add two schemes, in addition to those referred to elsewhere in the minutes, to the forward programme for feasibility studies, to be funded from the parking surplus;

    (iii)  To authorise a new Bus Stop Clearway to be implemented as part of the Ashley School Road Safety Outside Schools scheme;

    (iv)  Authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

     

    Reasons:  Recommendations are made to facilitate development of Committee’s 2019-20 Highways programmes, while at the same time ensuring that the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Members are fully and appropriately involved in any detailed considerations.

    Committee is asked to provide the necessary authorisation to deliver its programmes of work in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Member without the need to revert to the Committee as a whole.

49/18

SCHOOL TRAVEL PLANS - ANNUAL PROGRESS REPORT [SERVICE MONITORING AND ISSUES OF LOCAL CONCERN - FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 667 KB

    A School Travel Plan sets out objectives and actions that the school will undertake to improve road safety and promote sustainable travel modes to reduce reliance on the car. Since 2017 the county council’s Safer Travel Team have promoted a new national online system called Modeshift STARS www.modeshiftstars.org which provides an online template and supporting materials for schools to create a School Travel Plan.

     

    This report provides an update on the status of each School Travel Plan for schools in Elmbridge Borough, as well as the take up of activities offered to schools by the county council’s Safer Travel and Cycle Training Teams over the last academic year. It also highlights those schools that have expanded and are currently in breach of their planning obligations because they have not yet completed an accredited School Travel Plan.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Duncan Knox, Road Safety & Active Travel Team Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    Members were concerned that despite reminders, some schools have failed to comply with planning conditions asking for a school travel plan to be drafted.  These schools will not be granted any further planning permissions until they have complied, as it is important that pupils are encouraged to arrive safely and sustainably at schools.  It was noted once the plans are produced they are easily accessible on line for monitoring and should be reviewed annually. There is very little cost to schools, apart from a little staff time, in drafting a travel plan and support from the SCC team is free.

     

    There was concern that the pavements in some areas were not good enough to encourage walking to schools and that they are also sometimes obstructed by vehicles.  Obstructive parking is a matter for the police, but could be considered in a future parking review.  Requests from schools for additional infrastructure to improve safety could be considered for CIL funding. 

     

    Noted that the county council’s Safer Travel Team will continue to encourage and

    support all Surrey’s expansion schools to complete and maintain their School

    Travel Plan using the online Modeshift STARS system.  That, from 2018/19, the Safer Travel Team will also encourage all Surrey’s schools to create a School Travel Plan using the online Modeshift STARS accreditation system. This will involve promotion and the offer of training and support to all schools.

     

    Members were invited to assist by encouraging schools to sign up to Modeshift

    STARS, and to take up the activities offered by the Safer Travel and Cycle

    Training Teams to improve road safety and encourage sustainable travel.

50/18

SCC CONSULTATION ON SERVICE CHANGES IN ELMBRIDGE [SERVICE MONITORING AND ISSUES OF LOCAL CONCERN - FOR DISCUSSION] pdf icon PDF 82 KB

    Despite making significant savings in previous years, the County Council needs to make further savings of £85m in the next year.  To achieve this and continue to provide services to residents some changes will need to be made.  On 30 October 2018, the County Council launched a series of consultations on five service areas to shape those services for the future: children’s centres; concessionary bus fares; special educational needs and disability (SEND); libraries and cultural services; and community recycling centres.

     

    The Local Committee is invited to consider and discuss the proposed service changes as they relate to the Elmbridge local area.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Mary Burguieres, Continuous Improvement & Change Strategic Lead; Nigel Denning, Interim Consultant - Early Help

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    Noted in relation to children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) that outcomes are currently not good enough and there is a need to improve services as well as meeting increasing demand.  The consultation is focussed on a strategy providing changes to early help, better provision of services in the right pace and improved partnership working.  There will be further consultation on its implementation which will be co-designed.  It is hoped that a restructured service will provide more capacity for staff to attend reviews and get to know families.  It was noted that there are no additional savings being proposed in SEND and Children’s services, the consultation is about improving an inadequate service.  The commissioner is supportive of a new model to allow resources to be targeted at the most vulnerable.  Surrey has fewer SEND children in mainstream schools that neighbouring authorities, but they need better support.

     

    Noted that the consultation on libraries and cultural services is looking at the future function of these services and on the provision of a 24/7 modern digitally enhanced service with volunteering opportunities.  2500 responses have so far been received. In recent years there has been a decrease in both footfall and loans. Members commented that many of the smaller libraries are freehold and comparatively cheaper to run than large town centre libraries which are often leased.  Whilst people are supportive of volunteers working in libraries, it was felt to be important to continue to have permanent paid staff.  There will be a further consultation if there are specific proposals to close libraries, but in the meantime officers are happy to provide members with costs and usage figures.  They would also welcome suggestions from members on how existing libraries could be better used.

     

    The current Children Centre offer does not necessarily meet the needs of vulnerable children.  There is a need to intervene earlier and resources need to be targeted at those in greatest need and not in providing a universal offer.  There will be at least one centre in each Borough in the area of greatest need and services will be provided by outreach and satellite centres as many of those most in need don’t currently visit centres.  Work is ongoing to look at what the existing children’s centre buildings could be used for.  Those associated with schools could be used for nurseries or could be used by voluntary associations or partners.

     

    Members were concerned at the increased cost for parents in trying to access alternative centres, particularly for those trying to use limited public transport services.  Officers responded that it was not intended that those in need would have to travel to access services, which if required would be provided by outreach or at a local venue.  Members also commented, that whilst some of those currently accessing Children’s Centres may not all be  ...  view the full minutes text for item 50/18

51/18

LOCAL COMMITTEE DECISION TRACKER [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 259 KB

    This item provides an update on previous decisions and actions

    agreed by the Committee. The Committee is asked to agree that the

    items marked as complete are removed from the tracker.

    Minutes:

    The Committee noted the completed actions and agreed to remove these from the tracker.

52/18

FORWARD PLAN [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 47 KB

53/18

DATE OF NEXT MEETING [FOR INFORMATION]