Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Elmbridge Local Committee
Monday, 11 March 2019 4.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Elmbridge Civic Centre, High Street, Esher, KT10 9SD

Contact: Nicola Morris, Partnership Committee Officer  Community Partnerships & Safety Team, 2nd Floor, Epsom Town Hall, The Parade, Epsom KT18 5BY

Items
No. Item

OPEN FORUM pdf icon PDF 53 KB

The questions and responses to the matters raised in the Open Forum are attached to the minutes.

 

1/19

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTIONS

2/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)               Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)              Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    Borough Cllr Mary Sheldon declared a personal interest in Item 5 Petitions as she lives on the A244 Hersham Bypass.

3/19

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

4/19

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS AND STATEMENTS pdf icon PDF 65 KB

    To answer any questions or receive a statement from any member of the public who lives, works or studies in the Elmbridge Borough area in accordance with Standing Order 69.  Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer at least by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

     

    Two questions have been received, if any further questions are received before the deadline they will be published in a supplementary agenda.

     

     

    Minutes:

    Two questions were received.  The questions and responses are set out in the agenda for the meeting.  The following additional questions were asked:

     

    Question 1:  Is the scope of the transport assessment provided by the developer sufficient as it is all based on car journeys and makes no mention of pedestrian access and omits Claygate Station from the list of accessible sites.

     

    There were no officers from the Transport Development Planning service present at the meeting so a written response would be provided to the questioner.

     

    Question 2:  The questioner indicated that there had further information had now become available and there are things that could be done to help the situation.  She felt that the Local Authorities should hold the relevant agencies to account.  She offered to share the information with the county council and with local members.

     

    Members welcomed being provided with extra information to enable what action was possible to be taken.  The Area Highways Manager indicated that until the extent of the footpath is established it would be difficult for the County Council to take any action on land which is not part of the footpath.  Mrs Lake, as Chairman of the SCC Environment Select Committee offered to raise the issues of sewerage discharge into the river.  The SCC Lead, Tim Oliver agreed to raise the matter with the Environment Agency at a meeting he would be attending the next day.

5/19

PETITIONS pdf icon PDF 92 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68.  Notice should be given in writing or by e-mail to the Partnership Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting.  Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    Two petitions have been received and officer responses are provided:

     

    Install a Pedestrian Crossing on the Hersham Bypass A244

     

    2892 signatures. Lead petitioner Katie Dando

     

    Resurface Rectory Close, Long Ditton

     

    20 signatures. Lead petitioner: Mr Marcus Williams

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Elmbridge) agreed:

     

    Hersham Bypass

     

    That the Area Highways Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman, be asked to consider whether there is further funding available from the surplus on the on street parking account and if possible agree to allocate funding of approximately £5,000, to carry out a feasibility study to consider options for improving pedestrian safety on the A244 Hersham Bypass.

     

    Reasons: To look at options to address the issues raised in the petition submitted to the Committee

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: Cllr Mary Sheldon declared a personal interest as a resident on the Hersham Bypass.

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: Two petitions were received

     

    Petition 1 – Hersham Bypass

     

    The petitioner explained that her father had sadly been killed by a speeding motorcyclist on this stretch of road and he has been charged with death by dangerous driving.  The road is a dual carriageway, along which are bus stops and houses with driveways backing onto the road.  Existing safe crossings are too far apart for people to walk the extra distance to cross.  There have been a number of incidents in the past 10-12 years including other fatalities.  Although to provide an additional crossing is costly the cost of accidents in terms of police and court cost would far exceed this.

     

    Petition 2 – Rectory Close

     

    The petitioner indicated that there is now very little tarmac remaining in the road and they had hoped that it might be suitable for a trial of a new technique to scrape off the tarmac and seal the joints in the concrete below.  Residents are prepared to take legal action if no action is taken by the county council.

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    Petition 1 – Members thanked the petitioner for bringing forward the petition and expressed their sympathy at the death of her father.  They agreed that the road is difficult to cross, having four lanes of fast moving traffic with only a narrow central reservation and no speed controls.  They noted that when the road had been reduced to a single carriageway for work to be carried out, that traffic seemed to have travelled more slowly and safely.  Although there may not be large numbers of pedestrians crossing currently, there are people who would walk in particular to access the station if it was safer to cross.  There was previously a VAS sign which is no longer working and members asked whether this could be reinstated or replaced.  Average speed cameras, reducing the speed limit to 30mph and a pedestrian bridge were also suggested as possible improvements to be considered to improve pedestrian safety, in addition to a pedestrian crossing.  The Area Highways Manager indicated that a feasibility study would be needed to determine the best solution, but that the Committee didn’t currently have funding available to carry this out.  However, it was possible that there could be more funding available from the surplus on the on street parking account which could potentially be allocated to this.

     

    Petition 2 – The Area Highways Manager indicated that it was still possible that a trial of a new technique may go ahead but there are no firm plans currently.  This road would be unlikely to be a priority for funding either from the central maintenance budget or the Committee’s budget at the current time.

     

    The local member indicated that this problem is an ongoing issue with the many concrete roads in Surrey, which are never going to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5/19

6/19

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 102 KB

7/19

MEMBER QUESTION TIME

8/19

HIGHWAYS UPDATE [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 525 KB

    This report summarises progress with the Local Committee’s programme of Highways works for the current Financial Year 2018-19.

     

    The Local Committee’s Highways budgets for next Financial Year 2019-20 have now been confirmed.  Officers have worked with Members to design a programme of Local Structural Repair (LSR – large scale patching) for next Financial Year 2019-20, of total value £200,000 capital.  All Divisional Members have agreed to allocate £2,222.22 from their 2019-20 individual Highways revenue allocations to support Street Smart in 2019-20, a total contribution of £20,000.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Elmbridge) agreed:

     

       (i)        To approve the proposed programme of Local Structural Repair (LSR large scale patching) for next Financial Year 2019-20 as set out in Table 6 of the report;

     (ii)        Subject to securing funding, to authorise the Area Highway Manager to implement the St Matthews School, Downside, Road Safety Outside Schools scheme, including the necessary legal procedures to reduce the speed limit to 20mph in Downside Common Road;

    (iii)        Subject to securing funding, to authorise the Area Highway Manager to implement the Weybridge Triangle scheme, including the necessary legal procedures to introduce a new road table near the rear entrance to Manby Lodge School, and introduce a 20mph speed limit and 7.5t weight restriction throughout the Triangle area;

    (iv)        Subject to securing funding, to authorise the Area Highway Manager to implement a new shared surface for pedestrians and cyclists on the northern footway of Terrace Road, between Russell Road and Sunbury Lane;

     (v)        To authorise the Area Highway Manager to arrange the revalidation of the traffic signals at the junction of New Zealand Avenue, Oatlands Drive, Walton Bridge Road, and Bridge Street, as part of the Walton to Halliford Transport study;

    (vi)        To authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

    (vii)        (on a motion proposed by the Chairman and seconded by the Vice-Chairman and unanimously agreed) That the Area Highways Manager in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman be authorised to agree a provisional allocation from the Committee’s portion of the surplus on the on-street parking account to ITS schemes, subject to confirmation at the next meeting.

     

    Reasons:  Recommendations are made to facilitate development and delivery of Committee’s

    2019-20 Highways programmes, while at the same time ensuring that the Chairman, Vice- Chairman and relevant Divisional Members are fully and appropriately involved in any detailed considerations.

    Officers will update Committee when the outcome of the CIL bids is known.

    Committee is asked to provide the necessary authorisation to deliver its programmes

    of work in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional

    Member without the need to revert to the Committee as a whole.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    The Area Highways Manager indicated that the schemes listed in Table 6 are in priority order and the top scheme will be considered first as there are more schemes than funding available.

     

    The local member raised the issue of the bridge over the M25 which has a big dip on the edge as you drive over.  The bridge is the responsibility of the Highways Agency (HA).  The Area Highways Manager indicated that he had met with the HA and their supplier, the embankment is subsiding, in the meantime the HA will resurface either side of the joint to address the difference in levels.  The member was unhappy to hear that the bridge is subsiding and felt this should be addressed as a matter of urgency.  The Cabinet member for Highways agreed to add this to the agenda for the regular meeting he holds with the HA.

     

    Noted in relation to recommendation iii) that at the time of submitting the funding bid that proposals for Pine Grove were not developed, but these will be kept under review and further proposals may be submitted.

     

    Resolved:

     

       (i)        To approve the proposed programme of Local Structural Repair (LSR large scale patching) for next Financial Year 2019-20 as set out in Table 6 of the report;

     (ii)        Subject to securing funding, to authorise the Area Highway Manager to implement the St Matthews School, Downside, Road Safety Outside Schools scheme, including the necessary legal procedures to reduce the speed limit to 20mph in Downside Common Road;

    (iii)        Subject to securing funding, to authorise the Area Highway Manager to implement the Weybridge Triangle scheme, including the necessary legal procedures to introduce a new road table near the rear entrance to Manby Lodge School, and introduce a 20mph speed limit and 7.5t weight restriction throughout the Triangle area;

    (iv)        Subject to securing funding, to authorise the Area Highway Manager to implement a new shared surface for pedestrians and cyclists on the northern footway of Terrace Road, between Russell Road and Sunbury Lane;

     (v)        To authorise the Area Highway Manager to arrange the revalidation of the traffic signals at the junction of New Zealand Avenue, Oatlands Drive, Walton Bridge Road, and Bridge Street, as part of the Walton to Halliford Transport study;

    (vi)        To authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

    (vii)        (on a motion proposed by the Chairman and seconded by the Vice-Chairman and unanimously agreed) That the Area Highways Manager in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman be authorised to agree a provisional allocation from the Committee’s portion of the surplus on the on-street parking account to ITS schemes, subject to confirmation at the next meeting.

     

    Reasons:  Recommendations are made to facilitate development and delivery of Committee’s

    2019-20 Highways programmes, while at the same time ensuring that the Chairman,  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8/19

9/19

VERBAL UPDATE FROM SCC CABINET MEMBER FOR HIGHWAYS - MATT FURNISS [FOR INFORMATION]

    The new SCC Cabinet member for Highways, Matt Furniss will provide a short verbal update and answer member questions.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    The new Cabinet Member for Highways introduced himself and updated the Committee on current developments in the service.  The current highways contract is ending in 2021 and he welcomed ideas from members on things they would like to see in a future contract.

     

    Members asked why the agreement of the Cabinet member is required if they wish to spend a large part of the small amount of money allocated to them on one item.  The Cabinet member indicated that he wished to see the money spread around the area, but he would be happy to discuss this with individual members if there are a particular issue.

10/19

BETWEEN STREETS PEDESTRIAN IMPROVEMENTS - RESULTS OF PUBLIC CONSULTATION [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 97 KB

    Local residents have expressed concerns about pedestrian facilities on this section of Between Streets, particularly when trying to cross near the access to Painshill Park and the nearby bus stops.

     

    The Local Committee for Elmbridge agreed that a study should be undertaken to assess the extent of the problems and consider options for improvements.  Following discussions with the divisional member and borough members, it was agreed to consult on the potential installation of a new pedestrian refuge island.  Two different locations were suggested as options.  The consultation also invited any other comments to be raised.

     

    This report presents the results of the public consultation.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Elmbridge) agreed:

     

    To delegate authority to the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Divisional Member to undertake all necessary procedures to introduce a new pedestrian refuge island at location ‘a’ between the junctions with Virginia Place and Loriners Close including advertisement of statutory notices if necessary.

     

    Reasons:  To inform the Local Committee of the results of the public consultation and the next steps in progressing the scheme.

    To provide the necessary authorisation to deliver the scheme in consultation with

    the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Member without the need to

    revert to the Committee as a whole.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    Noted that residents had indicated that location ‘a’ was their preferred choice.

     

    Resolved:

     

    To delegate authority to the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Divisional Member to undertake all necessary procedures to introduce a new pedestrian refuge island at location ‘a’between the junctions with Virginia Place and Loriners Close including advertisement of statutory notices if necessary.

     

    Reasons:  To inform the Local Committee of the results of the public consultation and the next steps in progressing the scheme.

    To provide the necessary authorisation to deliver the scheme in consultation with

    the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Member without the need to

    revert to the Committee as a whole.

11/19

CLAYGATE LANE AND BROOKLANDS ROAD POTENTIAL HIGHWAY IMPROVEMENTS - RESULTS OF PUBLIC CONSULTATION [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 95 KB

    In March 2018 Committee considered proposals for cycling improvements on Claygate Lane (north), to provide a link between the existing cycle routes on Portsmouth Road and the proposed improvements on Claygate Lane (south) including alongside the two Hinchley Wood schools.  Subsequently Elmbridge Borough Council awarded £25,000 CIL funding to implement a scheme.

     

    Following comments from local residents and discussions with local councillors, it was suggested that there is a potential safety issue with cyclists currently travelling the wrong way along the one-way section of Claygate Lane (north).

     

    A public consultation was undertaken to determine whether there is support from residents to develop any schemes to enable two-way cycling on Claygate Lane North that could affect the roads in terms of access or vehicle movements.  The consultation also invited any other comments to be raised. 

     

    The Local Committee is asked to note the results of the consultation and decide how to proceed with this project. 

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Elmbridge) agreed:

     

    To use the CIL funding to develop a scheme to enable a safe two-way

    cycle route to be provided in the one-way section of Claygate Lane and that this be subject to further public consultation before a final decision is made by the Committee.

     

    Reasons:  To seek further views before a final decision is made on how to proceed with this scheme.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    Members agreed to carry out further public consultation to see if there is a preferred view from residents before a final decision is made.

     

    Resolved:

     

    To use the CIL funding to develop a scheme to enable a safe two-way

    cycle route to be provided in the one-way section of Claygate Lane and that this be subject to further public consultation before a final decision is made by the Committee.

     

    Reasons:  To seek further views before a final decision is made on how to proceed with this scheme.

12/19

HINCHLEY WOOD SCHOOLS PEDESTRIAN, CYCLIST AND SAFETY IMPROVEMENTS - RESULTS OF PUBLIC CONSULTATION [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 103 KB

    In December 2015 Committee received a petition with 529 signatories calling for improved road safety on Manor Road North leading to Claygate Lane for all pedestrians and cyclists. 

     

    Committee made funding available from the Parking Surplus to undertake a feasibility study, which in turn led to a successful bid to Elmbridge Borough Council for CIL funding to complete the detailed design, public consultation, and implement a scheme comprising:

    • Widen the footway in Claygate Lane (between Manor Road North and Kingston Bypass) for shared pedestrian and cyclist use;
    • Provide an improved pedestrian crossing in Manor Road North;
    • Provide improved facilities for the school crossing patrol in Claygate Lane.

    These options were developed in consultation with Divisional and Ward Members.

     

    This report presents the results of the public consultation, which has now been completed. 

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Elmbridge) agreed:

     

    To delegate authority to the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the

    Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Divisional Member to undertake all necessary procedures, including advertisement of statutory notices as necessary, to deliver the following improvements:

    a)   Provide a 3m wide footway in Claygate Lane (between Manor Road North and Kingston Bypass) for shared pedestrian and cyclist use;

    b)   Provide a new Zebra Crossing on a raised table in Manor Road North;

    c)   Provide an improved facility for the school crossing patrol.

     

    Reasons:  To inform the Local Committee of the results of the public consultation and the next steps in progressing the scheme.

    To provide the necessary authorisation to deliver the scheme in consultation with

    the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Member without the need to

    revert to the Committee as a whole.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    None.

     

    Resolved:

     

    To delegate authority to the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the

    Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Divisional Member to undertake all necessary procedures, including advertisement of statutory notices as necessary, to deliver the following improvements:

    a)   Provide a 3m wide footway in Claygate Lane (between Manor Road North and Kingston Bypass) for shared pedestrian and cyclist use;

    b)   Provide a new Zebra Crossing on a raised table in Manor Road North;

    c)   Provide an improved facility for the school crossing patrol.

     

    Reasons:  To inform the Local Committee of the results of the public consultation and the next steps in progressing the scheme.

    To provide the necessary authorisation to deliver the scheme in consultation with

    the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Member without the need to

    revert to the Committee as a whole.

13/19

LONG DITTON SCHOOLS SAFETY IMPROVEMENTS - RESULTS OF PUBLIC CONSULTATION [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 1 MB

    The Long Ditton Schools Safety Improvements was prompted by a petition received by Committee in November 2012.  In February 2013 Committee agreed to fund a feasibility study, which in turn led to successful bids for CIL funding from Elmbridge Borough Council.  A number of improvements have now been implemented through an interative consultation, design, and implementation process, which has been guided throughout by Division and Ward Members.

     

    This report presents the results of public consultation on a proposed new Zebra Crossing in Sugden Road. 

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Elmbridge) agreed:

     

    To approve the construction of a new Zebra Crossing in Sugden Road, between Rectory Lane and Ewell Road.

     

    Reasons:  To inform the Local Committee of the results of the public consultation and

    facilitate construction of the scheme.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    None.

     

    Resolved:

     

    To approve the construction of a new Zebra Crossing in Sugden Road, between Rectory Lane and Ewell Road.

     

    Reasons:  To inform the Local Committee of the results of the public consultation and

    facilitate construction of the scheme.

14/19

LOCAL COMMITTEE DECISION TRACKER [FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 258 KB

    This item provides an update on previous decisions and actions agreed by the Committee.  The Committee is asked to agree that the items marked as complete are removed from the tracker.

    Minutes:

    The Committee noted the completed actions and agreed to remove these from the tracker.

     

15/19

FORWARD PLAN [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 52 KB

16/19

DATE OF NEXT MEETING [FOR INFORMATION]