Agenda, decisions and minutes

Woking Joint Committee
Wednesday, 9 March 2016 6.00 pm

Venue: Woking Borough Council Civic Offices, Gloucester Square, Woking GU21 6YL

Contact: Sarah Goodman, Community Partnership and Committee Officer 

Webcast: View the webcast

Items
No. Item

Notes from Open Public Questions pdf icon PDF 53 KB

Additional documents:

1/16

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

2/16

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 174 KB

3/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    To receive any declarations of disclosable pecuniary and other interests from Members in respect of any item to be considered at the meeting.

     

    NOTES:

    ·         Members are bound by the Code of Conduct of the authority which appointed them to the Woking Joint Committee.

    ·         In line with the Relevant Authorities (Disclosable Pecuniary Interests) Regulations 2012, declarations may relate to the interest of the member, or the member’s spouse or civil partner, or a person with whom the member is living as husband or wife, or a person with whom the member is living with as if they were civil partners and the member is aware they have the interest.

    ·         SCC Members need only disclose interests not currently listed on the Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests. WBC Members need to disclose all disclosable pecuniary interests and non-pecuniary interests, whether or not they have previously been recorded in the Register of Members’ Interests.

    ·         SCC Members must notify SCC’s Monitoring Officer of any interests disclosed at the meeting so they may be added to the Register. WBC Members must notify WBC’s Monitoring Officer of any interests disclosed at the meeting which are not already recorded in the Register of Members’ Interests.

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Cllr Chrystie and Mrs Kemeny declared a non-pecuniary interest in item 7 as they are both Independent Trustees of WAVS.

4/16

PETITIONS

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 14.1.  Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting.  Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council or Woking Borough Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    No petitions have been received.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    No petitions were received.

5/16

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 107 KB

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Woking Borough area in accordance with Standing Order 14.2. Notice should be given in writing or email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Two public questions were received and tabled.  A copy of the questions and answers are annexed to these minutes. The supplementary questions and responses are set out below:

     

    Question 1:

    In response to Mrs Meinke it was noted that overhanging vegetation can grow very quickly in the spring/summer and the committee would welcome residents reporting issues via the Surrey County Council website.

     

    Question 2:

    A supplementary question from Mrs Allen regarding the criteria for red light cameras was asked by Mr Kemp on her behalf. Mr Kemp also raised the issue of the length of time of the blackout on the sequence and whether this could be reduced or taken out.  It was agreed that a written response would be sent to Mrs Allen after the meeting.

6/16

WRITTEN MEMBER QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 318 KB

    To receive any written questions from members under Standing Order 13.  The deadline for member questions is 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Five member questions were received and tabled and are a annexed to these minutes.  The supplementary questions and responses are set out below:

     

    Question 1:

    Cllr Lawrence explained that he was not asking for the priority to be changed, but believed that the junction was too narrow and pedestrian access was not good.  He would like an officer to look at the junctions to see how they could work better.

     

    Andrew Milne responded by saying that he was aware of the comments on the junctions, including those asking for the priorities to be changed.  At the moment there are no grounds to amend the junction, but officers appreciate the situation and will keep monitoring it, and noted that it might be appropriate to review the junctions in light of any further development in the area.

     

    Question 2:

    Mr Forster suggested that Prey Heath Road should be treated differently as it has a mainline station on it.  In response it was noted that the accident record along the road was very good.  Officers need to understand the full reason for any accidents and need to take into account a lot of different factors when putting forward suggested improvements.

     

    Question 3:

    In response to a question regarding why this funding did not go through the Joint Committee for prioritisation, it was noted that the maintenance budget is managed centrally to ensure a consistent service for highway users across the county. If members are aware of any particular crossings that are now causing congestion following works then they are encouraged to report them to see whether any amendments are necessary.

     

    Question 4:

    In response to a supplementary question, it was noted that the level of spending set out within the target was not credible with the current budget available to the committee.

7/16

VOLUNTEERING IN WOKING

    [Rhea Newman/Sue Barham/Sylvie Marshall]

    (Approximate starting time – 6.45pm)

     

    To receive a presentation on volunteering in Woking.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Cllr Chrystie and Mrs Kemeny declared a non-pecuniary interest in this item as they are both Independent Trustees of WAVS.

     

    Rhea Newman from Surrey County Council, Sue Barham from Woking Borough Council and Sylvie Marshall from Woking Association of Voluntary Service (WAVS) gave an update to the committee on how the three organisations are working together to support volunteering in Woking.

     

    During the presentation it was noted that:

    ·         There are 340 active volunteering opportunities in Woking – both one off and ongoing

    ·         In the previous 9 months there were 804 referrals with 260 volunteers placed.

    ·         Referrals are already being received from the Bedser Hub at the Woking Community Hospital.

    ·         Timebanking in Woking has just gone live and two volunteers are already in place to help administer the scheme. It is anticipated that Timebanking will work across the board, regardless of age of volunteers.

    ·         Surrey County Council and Woking Borough Council offer volunteering days for staff, and will look for any joint opportunities for their staff.

     

    Public comments:

    ·         Horsell Residents Association are grateful for the services of WAVS.  It was noted that interests.me allows small groups and organisations to manage newsletters and was a very useful site.

     

    Member comments:

    ·         The Councils are keen to be acknowledged for what is put back into Surrey through volunteering.  It was agreed that the Surrey County Council Volunteering Strategy would be circulated to all members of the committee.

    ·         Surrey is exploring the role of volunteers in supporting children and families, and has just started some initial work looking at where volunteers can support children with special educational needs and disabilities. There is also work underway looking at supporting more young people to volunteer and this will include the promotion of Timebanks as one channel for young people to volunteer as well as other initiatives such as the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.

    ·         Following a placement, a volunteer from WAVS will contact the organisation and the volunteer two months after the placement started.  After this period 90% of volunteers are still in place which is very positive.

    ·         The role of the part time funding advisor at WAVS was welcomed.  It was noted that she is also able to support organisations with business plans if required.

     

    To conclude it was noted that volunteering will become increasingly important and is closely linked to the health and wellbeing agenda around social isolation and loneliness.

     

    Members thanked officers for their presentation.

8/16

HIGHWAYS UPDATE pdf icon PDF 226 KB

    [Andrew Milne]

    (Approximate starting time – 7.15pm)

     

    To update the committee on highway schemes within the borough.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    Woking Joint Committee agreed to:

     

    (i)         Note the progress with ITS highways and developer funded schemes, and revenue funded works for the 2015/16 financial year

    (ii)        Note progress with budget expenditure

    (iii)       Note that a further Highways Update will be brought to the next meeting of this Committee.

     

    Reasons

     

    The above recommendations are made to enable progression of all highway related schemes and works.

    Minutes:

    Andrew Milne introduced the report which updated the committee on highway schemes within the borough. It was confirmed that the revenue budget for next year would be the same as this year, but there would be a £31k reduction in capital funding. Members noted that the crossings set out in table 5a are not listed in priority order.

     

    Member comments:

    ·         Members may wish to relook at the agreed programme for 2016/17 as the costings become clearer.

    ·         The parking surplus for this year and last year has been used to support the programme of works agreed by committee. The use of these monies is agreed each year.  Officers agreed to check whether any of the parking surplus to date was spent on damaged verges and update members outside the meeting.

    ·         An update for members on Operation Horizon was expected in April.

     

    RESOLVED

     

    Woking Joint Committee agreed to:

     

    (i)         Note the progress with ITS highways and developer funded schemes, and revenue funded works for the 2015/16 financial year

    (ii)        Note progress with budget expenditure

    (iii)       Note that a further Highways Update will be brought to the next meeting of this Committee.

9/16

WOKING TOWN CENTRE MANAGEMENT AGREEMENT ANNUAL REPORT pdf icon PDF 785 KB

    [Geoff McManus]

    (Approximate starting time – 7.35pm)

     

    To receive an update on works related to the Woking Town Centre Agreement from March 2015 to date

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    Woking Joint Committee agreed to note the report and support the proposals for officers to work more closely providing maintenance functions across the Borough.

     

    REASONS:

     

    To support ongoing Town Centre management activity and further joint working to achieve better outcomes for citizens of Woking.

    Minutes:

    Geoff McManus introduced the report which set out an update on works related to the Town Centre Management Agreement. The report also set out proposed additional areas of closer working between the county and the borough which would benefit residents. This additional work would not affect the current Joint Committee budgets, and accountability would stay with the County Council.

     

    Member comments:

    ·         The report was welcomed and the benefits of co-operation were clearly demonstrated.

    ·         The work around the town centre is recognised a blue print for possible double devolution.

     

    RESOLVED

     

    Woking Joint Committee agreed to note the report and support the proposals for officers to work more closely providing maintenance functions across the Borough.

10/16

2015/16 WOKING PARKING REVIEW UPDATE pdf icon PDF 160 KB

    [David Curl]

    (Approximate starting time – 7.55pm)

     

    To receive an update on the Parking Review and agree proposals in Portugal Road.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Woking Joint Committee agreed that:

     

    (i)            the proposed amendments to on-street parking restrictions in Portugal Road as shown on drawing 3282_20076 in annex A are agreed and included in the 2015/16 parking review.

     

     

    REASONS:

     

    It is recommended that the waiting restrictions are implemented as detailed in Annex A.  They will make a positive impact towards:-

     

               Road safety

               Access for emergency vehicles

               Access for refuse vehicles

               Easing traffic congestion

               Better regulated parking

               Better enforcement

    Minutes:

    David Curl introduced the report which updated the committee on the Parking Review and also sought agreement for proposals in Portugal Road. It is anticipated that objections to the advertisements will be resolved in April, with implementation of the parking bays likely in June/July 2016. Portugal Road was omitted from the report in December 2015 and therefore members’ approval was sought. The report also provided an update on parking outside Winston Churchill School.

     

    Public comments:

    ·         Regarding parking outside Winston Churchill School it was noted that there were no road markings promoting safety for children that were operational in the morning. The issue is worse in the afternoon as parents wait for their children.  One fifth of the pupils at the school are only 11 years old.

     

    Member comments:

    ·         Regarding Winston Churchill School, Members supported officers’ views and agreed that they should continue to monitor the situation but no action was required at the present time. Even if double yellow lines were installed it is still permissible to wait for short periods of time. Mrs Kemeny agreed to speak to the Chair of Governors at the school to see if they or the children are concerned about the safety in this area outside the school. Mr Bennett would be kept updated.

    ·         A further issue of cars stopping in Amstell Way on a solid white line at pick up time was raised.  Officers would monitor this situation.

     

    RESOLVED

     

    The Woking Joint Committee agreed that:

     

    (i)            The proposed amendments to on-street parking restrictions in Portugal Road as shown on drawing 3282_20076 in annex A are agreed and included in the 2015/16 parking review.

     

11/16

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE AND SURREY TRADING STANDARDS WORK IN WOKING - 2014/15 pdf icon PDF 209 KB

    [Claire Taylor]

    (Approximate starting time: 8.10pm)

     

    To provide and update for the Joint Committee on Trading Standards activity.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    Woking Joint Committee agreed to note:

     

    (i)         The content of the report and provide feedback to help us enhance our understanding of, and response to local needs and issues.

     

    REASONS:

     

    This report is for information only and does not contain any recommendation for decision.

    Minutes:

    Claire Taylor introduced the report which updated the committee on Trading Standards activity in the Borough. It was noted that the joint service with Buckinghamshire County Council was going well and has resulted in a greater pool of resources and expertise to take forward the work.

     

    Member comments:

    ·         Petroleum issues tend to be around the amount of petrol being dispensed and the price of petrol at the pump.  Further details would be provided to members outside the meeting.

    ·         Underage sales test purchasing is intelligence based. Further information on follow up following a failed test purchase would be circulated to members outside of the meeting.

    ·         Promotion of TS Alerts to the wider public was discussed. Officers agreed to find out how it is promoted and whether more can be done to encourage residents associations etc to sign up.

    ·         Trading Standards have good links with the Fire Service over electrical products and illegal tobacco.

    ·         Regarding nuisance calls the telephone preference service is an option.  There is also a project with True Call where a device can be fitted to the phone to block unknown calls.  A project is being trialled in Mole Valley to place these in peoples homes.

     

    The Chairman thanked Claire for the report.

     

    RESOLVED

     

    Woking Joint Committee agreed to note:

     

    (i)         The content of the report and provide feedback to help us enhance our understanding of, and response to local needs and issues.

12/16

SCHOOL TRAVEL PLANS PROGRESS REPORT pdf icon PDF 253 KB

    [Sarah Akerman/Luke Forshaw]

    (Approximate starting time – 8.30pm)

     

    To update the committee on School Travel Plans in Woking

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    Woking Joint Committee agreed to note:

     

    (i)         School Travel Plans (Woking) - Progress Report.    

     

    REASONS:

     

    Noting the report will increase awareness and support for School Travel Plans and show recognition at the highest level for schools, teachers, parents and pupils whom have worked hard to achieve a positive change for their school community.

    Minutes:

    Sarah Akerman and Rebecca Harrison introduced the report which updated the committee on active school travel plans in Woking.

     

    Member comments:

    Members were surprised that there were only nine active school travel plans and were keen to explore what was happening in other schools in Woking.  Officers explained that the team was initially focussing on schools that are expanding, but are offering a package of measures to other schools as well. Members recognised that a number of schools in the borough do have travel plans, they are just not documented in the same way or to the same level.

     

    There is a countywide issue with the recruitment of crossing patrol staff.  There is currently a vacancy being advertised at St Hugh of Lincoln, but as yet it has not been filled.

     

    With regard to monitoring the success and impact of travel plans on reducing congestion, officers explained that the first phase of travel plans was in the process of being monitored and it is anticipated that more tangible data on the impact would be available next year. Travel Plans are hard to enforce, but implementation will be linked back to planning conditions.

     

    Some schools were more difficult to engage with than others, and members offered to help officers where this was an issue locally.

     

    Woking Borough Council has considered Supplementary Planning Policy around school transport, but it was agreed that it was not appropriate as each school has unique circumstances. Planning Officers will continue to work with schools on measures appropriate for their circumstances.

     

    Members wanted to see a list of all schools in Woking (including state schools, free schools, academies and independent schools if possible) stating when they last had a school travel plan.  They would like to further explore how the number of schools with active School Travel Plans could be increased and how the committee could help make this happen, whether this was through contact with the schools, interactions with parents and the PTA or through possible Members Allocation funding for cycle racks etc.

     

    Officers commented that the Sustainable Transport Team is focused on county schools, and would be required to charge independent schools and academies for their service.

     

    It was noted that the Member Reference Group looking at school travel plans were due to meet shortly to look at some of the issues raised.

     

    RESOLVED

     

    Woking Joint Committee agreed to note:

     

    (i)         School Travel Plans (Woking) - Progress Report.

     

13/16

SUB-COMMITTEE UPDATE pdf icon PDF 164 KB

    [Cllr Beryl Hunwicks]

    (Approximate starting time – 8.50pm)

     

    To update the committee on the work of the Community Safety Sub-Committee and the Health and Wellbeing Sub-Committee

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    Woking Joint Committee agreed to note:

     

    (i)                     The work carried out under the Community Safety Sub-Committee and the Health and Wellbeing Sub-Committee.

     

    REASONS:

     

    To keep the Joint Committee informed about the work undertaken, and any decisions taken by its two sub-committees.

    Minutes:

    Cllr Hunwicks introduced the report which updated the committee on the work of the two sub-committees covering Community Safety and Health and Wellbeing.

     

    Member comments:

    ·         Links between the local and the countywide Health and Wellbeing Boards, including the dissemination of information, needs to be considered going forward.

    ·         Policing in your Neighbourhood comes into effect from 1 April 2016 and will result in more constables in Woking.

     

    Following the review of the Joint Committee carried out earlier in the year, it was agreed that the community safety and health and wellbeing sub-committees would operate more effectively as Task Groups with any decisions coming through the main committee. This change would be agreed at next meeting of the Woking Joint Committee.

     

    RESOLVED

     

    Woking Joint Committee agreed to note:

     

    (i)                     The work carried out under the Community Safety Sub-Committee and the Health and Wellbeing Sub-Committee.

14/16

FORWARD PROGRAMME pdf icon PDF 92 KB

    [Sarah Goodman/Sue Barham]

    (Approximate starting time – 9.05pm)

     

    To set out the forward programme for the Joint Committee

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    Woking Joint Committee agreed to:

     

    (i)                     Note and comment on the forward programme contained in this report and requested an additional updated report on School Travel Plans for the June 2016 meeting.

     

    REASONS:

     

    Having a list of items members would wish to have reported will enable a forward programme to be drawn up and for relevant officers to be invited to present to the committee. The additional report was requested to gain a fuller picture of progress with school travel plans for all Woking schools.

    Minutes:

    RESOLVED

     

    Woking Joint Committee agreed to:

     

    (i)                     Note and comment on the forward programme contained in this reportand requested an additional updated report on School Travel Plans for the June 2016 meeting.

15/16

DECISION TRACKER pdf icon PDF 133 KB