Agenda, decisions and minutes

Spelthorne Joint Committee
Monday, 8 October 2018 6.30 pm

Venue: Council Offices, Knowle Green, Staines-upon-Thames. TW18 1XB

Contact: Gregory Yeoman, Partnership Committee Officer  Room 357, Council Offices, Knowle Green, Staines-upon-Thames TW18 1XB

Items
No. Item

Open Forum questions pdf icon PDF 80 KB

Questions and responses from the informal open forum session are attached as an Annex to the minutes.

31/18

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

32/18

MINUTES FROM PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 87 KB

33/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting.

    NOTES:

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

    ·         As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner).

    ·         Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    No declarations of interest were received.

34/18

PRESENTATION FROM LEAD SCC CABINET MEMBERS FOR PEOPLE AND PLACE (SERVICE MONITORING AND ISSUES OF LOCAL CONCERN - AGENDA ITEM)

    Presentation from SCC Lead Cabinet Members for People and Place on working together with district and borough councils, with a key focus on health and wellbeing.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers/members attending: Tim Oliver, SCC Lead Cabinet Member for People; Colin Kemp, SCC Lead Cabinet Member for Place; Victoria Berry, Policy and Programme Manager (Health and Social Care Integration)

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion – key points

    Tim Oliver and Victoria Berry gave a presentation on changes to support the health and wellbeing of residents. As is well known, the County Council has significant budget pressures, arising from increased costs in adult social care and special educational needs, which account for a significant portion of the budget. In order to manage cost a process of transformation is underway to focus on early help and prevention, whilst maintaining front line services. Members have already seen the vision and going forward the County Council will be looking to have a greater understanding of residents’ priorities and be more transparent.

     

    Only 20% of health needs are influenced by health care, the remaining 80% are influenced by other factors. He reported that Spelthorne residents perform badly on measures of both childhood and adult obesity, taking basic exercise and eating ‘5 a day’ and that this can affect the demand for services.

     

    Surrey Heartlands is looking at changing systems so they are not centred on hospitals and integrating with other health and social care agencies by joining up computer systems and co-locating staff. The emphasis will be on partnership and working together rather than on competition between providers. Resident involvement is a key aspect as well, and 3000 residents have signed up as members of the Citizen Panel to provide information and feedback through surveys, workshops and working groups.

     

    Rationalising the County estate will be an important element with services being provided through hubs rather than separate buildings. The aim will be to maintain levels of service and use savings made from divesting buildings to support this.

     

    Cllr Oliver stressed that the culture at the County had changed significantly with the appointment of a new team of senior officers and a new outlook. The recent Vision for 2030 exercise had shown that it was not possible for Surrey to deliver all the services by itself and the importance of the contribution made by the voluntary, faith and charity sectors was recognised. 18 transformation business cases would be presented to Cabinet in October and he asked members to bear with the re-organisation process.

     

    The Committee thanked Tim Oliver and Victoria Berry for the presentation and Colin Kemp for his support.

35/18

DECISION TRACKER (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 109 KB

    To review any outstanding decisions from the Joint Committee.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Are Highways Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    Cllr Mooney asked for clarification on when the drainage issue at Crooked Billet would be resolved. The Area Highways Officer apologised for the delay; there is a high pressure gas pipeline running through the site, and once Highways England, Surrey County Council and the gas suppliers have been able to coordinate their activity it was hoped the work would be carried out by Christmas.

     

    Equipment is on order to carry out a CCTV survey and cleaning of the drainage pipework in Charlton Village. The standard target for completion of work is within three months of the order being placed; the Highways Officer confirmed that he would write to the borough and Charlton Village Residents’ Association to let them know the order date.

     

    Members confirmed that high level conversations were ongoing with Heathrow Airport Ltd (HAL) regarding bus routes through the north of the borough. Cllr R Evans had spoken to the operator of route 8 to see if it would be possible to redirect it up Town Lane rather than Stanwell Moor Road. The chairman commented that pressure should be maintained on HAL from all sides to ensure satisfactory provision of bus transport to and from the airport.

     

    Other recommendations in the decision tracker were agreed as described.

36/18

PETITIONS & PETITION RESPONSES pdf icon PDF 96 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 14.1.  Notice must be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting.  Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s or Spelthorne Borough Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: 1 petition was received.

     

    The petitioner presented the petition and explained that the HGVs and taxis driving through Stanwell Moor and using it as a parking area were causing congestion and dangerous road conditions, together with noise, vibration and pollution.

     

    Member discussion – key points

    Members expressed their support for the restriction of HGV access and the vice-chairman stated that Spelthorne borough council would cover the cost of a feasibility study looking into the introduction of width restrictions. The scope of the study would be arrived at in consultation with the Residents’ Association and the work either taken on by the County’s Highways department or an outside contractor according to resource availability and subject to cost.

     

    It was confirmed that visits by Spelthorne officers to the former Vermeulens site in Stanwell Moor were planned to ensure current activity did not violate planning or Green Belt conditions, and that Surrey Police have appointed a new neighbourhood support officer to Stanwell Moor and Stanwell village to ensure the PCSOs are working effectively with regard to the taxi and minicab problem.

     

    The Highways Manager confirmed that work was already underway to improve the weight restriction signage that applies to Millstream bridge, with the aim of providing better advanced warning signs and to move the 7.5 tonne restriction signs closer to the bridge to make enforcement easier. It was also suggested that signs could be introduced at the exit to Oakleaf Farm, indicating that HGVs should turn right to avoid the weight limit.

     

    The chairman asked for the follow-up work to be reported to the next committee meeting.

37/18

WRITTEN MEMBER QUESTIONS

38/18

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within Spelthorne borough area in accordance with Standing Order 14.2.  Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    There were no questions.

39/18

ECO PARK UPDATE (AGENDA ITEM - FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 74 KB

    To hear an update on progress with the Eco Park, Charlton Lane.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Richard Parkinson, Waste Operations Group Manager, Surrey County Council

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    Wet-leakage testing of the anaerobic digestion facility is underway and the first waste is expected to be accepted in December with a view to Surrey’s taking over the facility in march 2019. Commissioning of the pre-treatment process for waste in the gasification faciity starts in November, with commissioning of the the turbines in January 2019; planned take-over by Surrey is at the end of Jan 2019.

     

    Mr Parkinson stressed there was no financial risk to the County if there were any over-runs or delays, with the contractors responsible for these. The County only starts making payments once it takes over the operation of the fully-tested and properly working facility. There are also no additional costs involved in using alternative waste treatment facilities while the Eco Park is under development.

     

    The movements of lorries through Charlton Village was raised, with a request that the routing of traffic during the construction period be maintained throughout commissioning and operation of the plant. Mr Parkinson gave an assurance that he would check with Planning colleagues and provide an answer.

     

    The chairman reminded members, and also those members of the public present, that there is the Eco Park Liaison Group organised by Suez which meets quarterly – next meeting would be taking place the day after this committee and would be the best place for any detailed or technical questions to be raised.

     

    Resolved:

    The Joint Committee (Spelthorne) noted the report.

40/18

HEATHROW EXPANSION UPDATE (AGENDA ITEM - FOR INFORMATION)

    To hear an update on expansion at Heathrow Airport, looking at implications on transport and parking.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Heather Morgan, Group Head Regeneration and Growth

     and Ann Biggs, Strategic Planning Manager, Spelthorne Borough Council

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    The officers prefaced their presentation by saying that Spelthorne broadly supports Heathrow expansion, but its priority was the protection of its residents and the environment.

     

    The presentation highlighted potential changes in parking arrangements for vehicles visiting the airport, with a number of existing parking areas being removed as a result of the proposed new runway and relocated to the south of the airport near Stanwell and Stanwell Moor to create a single parking area for an estimated 25000 vehicles.

     

    Potential issues in relation to access to the airport via southern routes for increased numbers of vehicles, and replacement of borough land lost to airport developments, were also covered.

     

    Members were very concerned to hear the possible scale of parking provision on or very close to the borough’s northern areas, which they agreed would affect the borough as a whole with increased traffic movements on many key roads. Officers stated that in their discussions with Heathrow Airport Ltd (HAL) they are challenging the assumptions behind the new parking plans, which may not give sufficient weight to the possible financial benefits to Heathrow of consolidating currently disparate parking arrangements.

     

    The borough is keen to see the development of the southern light rail scheme, which would run from Staines. The route is not yet confirmed although the borough’s current preferred option passes alongside the M25; a possible alternative could follow Stanwell Moor Road between King George VI and Staines reservoirs. Construction costs are estimated at approximately 10% of those for a traditional railway. Concerns from members of possibly high ticket prices for passengers on the finished rail link if it is financed by private investment were countered by officers stating that the intention would be to have Staines included in TfL’s Zone 6 and Oyster area.

     

    It was stressed that the best way to represent Spelthorne’s residents is through constructive dialogue with HAL, and also for the borough and Surrey County Council to work closely together. Neighbouring councils such as Hillingdon should also be engaged with to ensure a coordinated approach.

     

    Resolved:

    The Joint Committee (Spelthorne) noted the contents of the presentation.

41/18

SPELTHORNE HOMELESS HOSTEL UPDATE (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 103 KB

    To hear an update on progress with the development of the new homeless hostel by Spelthorne Borough Council.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: David Birley, Housing Strategy & Policy Manager, Spelthorne Borough Council

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    David Birley presented his report. Spelthorne has engaged positively with the Salvation Army, working with is Housing Association section. The aim is to submit final designs to Planning early next year and to have the hostel fully operational by the end of 2020.

     

    Central government decided in August this year that rental costs will continue to be provided through the existing housing benefit system and therefore Spelthorne will not need to approach Surrey for payments. However, there may in the future be one-off instances relating to personal care and support plans, or on a wider area level, when the borough would need to approach Surrey regarding revenue funding in support of the aims of the hostel.

    The chairman stressed that Surrey would work in partnership with SBC in order to realise the development of the hostel.

     

    Resolved:

    The Joint Committee (Spelthorne):

     

    (i)    Noted that funding arrangements for short term supported housing, including those for homeless people, are to remain within Housing Benefit from 2020/21.

    (ii)  Continued to support Spelthorne Borough Council’s plans to build a single persons homeless hostel in Spelthorne.

42/18

HIGHWAYS UPDATE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 160 KB

    To receive an update from the Highways Area Team Manager (North East).

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Joint Committee (Spelthorne) agreed:

    (i)    To approve the provisional allocation of budgets for 2019-20 as shown in Table 3 below (paragraphs 2.1.7 to 2.1.13 refer);

    (ii)  To authorise the advertisement of a legal notice for the relocation of two speed cushions in Clare Road, Stanwell, in support of bus stop improvements at the junction with Bedfont Road, and to consider any representations in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and Divisional Member and if there are no significant objections to relocate the speed cushions (paragraphs 2.6.1 to 2.6.3 and Annex B refer);

    (iii)To authorise the implementation of a new bus stop clearway at the bus stop in Clare Road at the junction with Bedfont Road (paragraphs 2.6.1 to 2.6.3 and Annex B refer);

    (iv)To authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

     

    Reasons for recommendations:

    Recommendations are made to facilitate development of Committee’s 2019-20 Highways programmes, while at the same time ensuring that the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Members are fully and appropriately involved in any detailed considerations.

    A number of changes are proposed to improve bus stop facilities in Clare Road at its junction with Bedfont Road.

    Committee is asked to provide the necessary authorisation to deliver its programmes of work in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Member without the need to revert to the Committee as a whole.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    The report was presented and there were no questions or comments.

     

    Resolved:

    The Joint Committee (Spelthorne) agreed:

    (i)    To approve the provisional allocation of budgets for 2019-20 as shown in Table 3 below (paragraphs 2.1.7 to 2.1.13 refer);

    (ii)  To authorise the advertisement of a legal notice for the relocation of two speed cushions in Clare Road, Stanwell, in support of bus stop improvements at the junction with Bedfont Road, and to consider any representations in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and Divisional Member and if there are no significant objections to relocate the speed cushions (paragraphs 2.6.1 to 2.6.3 and Annex B refer);

    (iii)To authorise the implementation of a new bus stop clearway at the bus stop in Clare Road at the junction with Bedfont Road (paragraphs 2.6.1 to 2.6.3 and Annex B refer);

    (iv)To authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

     

    Reasons for recommendations:

    Recommendations are made to facilitate development of Committee’s 2019-20 Highways programmes, while at the same time ensuring that the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Members are fully and appropriately involved in any detailed considerations.

    A number of changes are proposed to improve bus stop facilities in Clare Road at its junction with Bedfont Road.

    Committee is asked to provide the necessary authorisation to deliver its programmes of work in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Member without the need to revert to the Committee as a whole.

43/18

SCHOOL TRAVEL PLANS (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 626 KB

    An update on the status of each School Travel Plan for schools in the Spelthorne Borough, as well as the take-up of activities offered to schools by the county council’s Safer Travel and Cycle Training Teams over the last academic year.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Duncan Knox, Road Safety & Active Travel Team Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    Members were asked to encourage all schools in their wards and divisions to develop a School Travel Plan, and to take advantage of the activities offered by the Safer Travel and Cycle Training Teams. They were reminded that any school with development of a plan as part of their planning consent would be written to to ensure that they are complying.

     

    Duncan Knox responded to a question about Park Smart, commenting that the students working in conjunction with local police officers to place polite notices on vehicles parked illegally or in an antisocial way provided a useful way of reinforcing good parking practice when enforcement officers were unable to attend. He stressed the importance of campaigns such as Living Streets’ ‘Walk Once a Week’ (WOW), which can lead to changes in behaviour and consequent improvements in child health and also air quality around schools.

     

    Resolved:

    The Joint Committee (Spelthorne) noted that:

    (i)      The county council’s Safer Travel Team will continue to encourage and support all Surrey’s expansion schools to complete and maintain their School Travel Plan using the online Modeshift STARS system.

    (ii)    From 2018/19, the Safer Travel Team will also encourage all Surrey’s schools to create a School Travel Plan using the online Modeshift STARS accreditation system. This will involve promotion and the offer of training and support to all schools.

    (iii)  Members are invited to assist by encouraging schools to sign up to Modeshift STARS, and to take up the activities offered by the Safer Travel and Cycle Training Teams to improve road safety and encourage sustainable travel.

    Reasons for recommendations:

    Successful implementation of School Travel Plans will lead to improvements in road safety and more sustainable travel on school journeys. This will reduce congestion, improve air quality, and active travel will improve the health of children.

44/18

MEMBERSHIP OF THE SPELTHORNE SAFER STRONGER PARTNERSHIP (SSSP) (FOR INFORMATION)

45/18

FORWARD PROGRAMME 2018/19 pdf icon PDF 94 KB

46/18

DATE OF NEXT MEETING