Agenda, decisions and minutes

Runnymede Joint Committee
Monday, 18 March 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: The Council Chamber, Civic Centre, Station Road, Addlestone KT15 2AH

Contact: Gregory Yeoman  Partnership Committee Officer

Items
No. Item

Open Forum Questions

There were no questions or comments in the Open Forum.

44/18

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

45/18

MINUTES FROM PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 83 KB

46/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i) Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii) Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting.

    NOTES:

    · Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

    · As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner).

    · Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    There were no declarations of interest.

47/18

PETITIONS AND PETITION RESPONSES pdf icon PDF 2 MB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 14.1. Notice must be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting. Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s or Spelthorne Borough Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Andrew Milne, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: 1 petition was received.

     

    A petition requesting the introduction of speed bumps and a camera on Scotland Bridge Road had been received. The Area Highways Manager prepared a response and this had been sent to the lead petitioner. There was no spokesperson present at the meeting to represent the petitioners; members noted the officer’s recommendation.

48/18

WRITTEN MEMBER QUESTIONS

49/18

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 68 KB

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within Spelthorne borough area in accordance with Standing Order 14.2. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Andrew Milne, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: 1 question was received.

     

    One question was received; the question and response are set out in the supplementary agenda for the meeting. The following supplementary question was asked: can a breakdown be given of the estimated cost of installing a controlled crossing?

     

    The Area Highways Manager agreed to provide a written response to the questionner.

     

    Members discussed the possibility of including the provision of a crossing in the budget of the redevelopment of Runnymede Pleasure Grounds (see Item 11). Encouraging visits by means other than private cars was acknowledged as an ambition, but it was noted that steps had recently been taken to ensure the budget remained on track and no commitments could be made to include any new and additional items. The Divisional Member for Englefield Green offered to discuss the suggestion with the borough leader.

     

    The chairman drew the members’ attention to the final paragraph of the officer response, which stated that the County’s Transport Development Planning Team will make its assessment when the planning application for the development of the Pleasure Grounds is submitted.

50/18

DECISION TRACKER (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 85 KB

    To review any outstanding decisions from the Joint Committee.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Gregory Yeoman, Partnership Committee Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    The decision tracker was reviewed by the committee and the updates were noted.

     

51/18

HIGHWAYS UPDATE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION) pdf icon PDF 424 KB

    To receive an update from the Highways Area Team Manager (North East).

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Runnymede Joint Committee:

     

    (i)       Noted the progress with schemes and revenue funded works for the 2018/19 financial year.

    (ii)     Noted the budgetary position.

    (iii)     Noted that a further Highways Update will be brought to the next meeting of this Committee.

    (iv)     Agreed the proposed capital works programme for 2019/20 shown in table 2 in section 2.3 of this report.

     

    Reasons for recommendations:

    The above recommendations are made to enable progression of all highway related schemes and works.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Andrew Milne, Area Highway Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    The Area Highway Manager reminded members that the 2019/20 revenue budget had been reduced to zero, whereas the capital budget had increased to approximately £167,000. He also reminded Divisional Members of their annual £7500 allocation; this represents the only funding available for revenue works and the Area Highway Manager’s recommendation was that it should be held for unforeseen maintenance issues.

     

    Attention was drawn to Table 2 in the report, which showed proposed capital works for 2019/20. The priority scheme was the signalised crossing on St Jude’s Road, Englefield Green, for which design work had already been carried out following requests from local schools and parents of pupils. Other schemes listed represented minor capital maintenance improvements, with a provision for drainage and road markings to counter the loss of the revenue budget.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    Discussion centred on the £7500 revenue allocation. It was confirmed that any funds that had not been committed by 31st October 2019 would be lost to the individual Divisional member. However, responsibility for spending the funds would pass to the Maintenance Engineer, and if members had indicated what sort of schemes they would like their funds to support then Highways would undertake to direct the money accordingly.

     

    Officers will contact members with suggestions of where they think a contribution from the allocation could be made to achieve an effective result. Projects that are more expensive than the notional maximum spend of £2500 per item will be permissible as long as they are cleared with the Cabinet Member for Highways.

     

    Specifically talking about Vehicle Activate Signs, it was noted that these cannot be funded from the allocation when they would be sited on Highways land; if they are planned for private or parish land then they can be funded. As the signs have an ongoing maintenance cost attached it would be preferred if the allocations were directed towards activity such as vegetation cutting or drain clearance.

     

    The chairman urged ward members to speak to divisional members and to share their local knowledge to help develop a list of proposed work. Officers were asked to remind divisional members towards the end of summer that the deadline for submitting requests for work was approaching and any uncommitted allocation would be unavailable from the end of October.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Runnymede Joint Committee:

    (i) NOTED the progress with schemes and revenue funded works for the 2018/19 financial

    year.

    (ii) NOTED the budgetary position.

    (iii) NOTED that a further Highways Update will be brought to the next meeting of this

    Committee.

    (iv) AGREED the proposed capital works programme for 2019/20 shown in table 2 in section

    2.3 of this report, and shown below.

    Scheme Name

    Detail/Limits

    Progress

    Estimated Cost (£)

    A328 St Jude's Road -Puffin Crossing (Construction)

     

    Construct new signalised pedestrian crossing near junction with Bagshot Road

    -

    120,000

    St Ann's Road/Pyrcroft Road/Ruxbury Road

    Capital Maintenance (Carriageway resurfacing) –  ...  view the full minutes text for item 51/18

52/18

UPDATE FROM CABINET MEMBER FOR HIGHWAYS (FOR INFORMATION)

    A verbal update from the Cabinet Member for Highways.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Member attending: Cabinet Member for Highways

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    The Cabinet Member for Highways gave a short update to members before inviting questions. His main points were:

    ·         The roads investment programme for 2019/20 was now available online, and he encouraged members to take a look at it;

    ·         Income generation will be a feature of the 2019/20 Highways budget (including from advertising on the highways) along with increased use of digital solutions to help streamline processes for officers and the public;

    ·         There is an additional £8m available this year;

    ·         There will be increased and improved communications about successes and about what works are taking place – any ideas on how to achieve this through digital channels would be welcome;

    ·         The contract with Kier is coming to an end in two years and work is underway on the new arrangement; members were encouraged to let the Cabinet Member know what they felt had worked well and not so well under the existing contract;

    ·         Plans are being developed for the Surrey Infrastructure Academy in association with four colleges of further education, to promote skills giving people entry to the highways industry.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    Members complimented the Cabinet Member on improved communications and the online reporting tool.

     

    Issues raised in questions to the Cabinet Member included:

    ·         late removal of signs advertising works;

    ·         poor or illegal parking around Virginia Water and the Great Park;

    ·         parking along The Causeway; and

    ·         poorly thought-out use of three- or four-way control temporary traffic lights.

     

    The Cabinet Member agreed to speak to the Borough Inspector about parking issues and confirmed that the parking policy was currently under review. The police are in contact with Crown Estate, and would like to see affected routes reclassified as ‘rural clearway’.

     

    The Cabinet Member said that he would investigate the instance of temporary traffic lights at Chertsey Bridge.

     

    The Chairman thanked the Cabinet Member for coming to address the committee.

53/18

FLOODING - LESSONS LEARNED AND PREPAREDNESS pdf icon PDF 448 KB

    To advise on the emergency planning learning points from the 2014 floods and preparations in place should the local authorities have to respond to another major flooding incident.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Ian Good, County Emergency Planning Officer, Surrey County Council/Surrey Fire and Rescue; Sarah Walsh, Corporate Head of Strategy, Runnymede Borough Council; Sarah Goodman, Community Projects Officer, Surrey County Council; Jessica Lira, Senior Resilience Advisor, Applied Resilience.

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Ian Good highlighted the main points of the report, stressing the importance of capturing information on vulnerable individuals and the extent of the new partnership approach to strategic management of risk, the response to particular incidents, and strengthening of community resilience. The four main points he wanted members to take away in relation to vulnerable people were:

    ·         The importance of encouraging people to sign up to the utility companies’ schemes and register as a priority user;

    ·         The ‘message in a bottle’ scheme, promoted by Lions Clubs;

    ·         Encourage individuals to request a ‘Safe and Well’ visit from Surrey Fire and Rescue; and

    ·         Encourage people to let their family and friends know when they have been evacuated.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    Members thanked the officers for the report.

    Communication was seen as the main area to work on to make sure that residents knew both what had been done in the time following the 2014 floods to improve preparedness, and what the key processes and personnel were in the event of another incident. Members’ attention was drawn to the Flooding Guidance on the Runnymede Borough website, which includes contact details.

     

    It was felt that ‘Runnymede Talks’, the new printed and online borough magazine, would be a good place to include information about flooding. There is also a leaflet produced by Surrey Prepared that contains information on the four key points highlighted by Ian Good above – this will be circulated to members for them to use at surgeries etc.

     

    In response to questions about how improvements in preparedness are measured, Ian Good described how simulation exercises provide the main way to show that partners are achieving their objectives; Operation Comet will take place in October and members were welcome to attend and see what happens. In addition, there have been a number of major events across the country since the 2014 floods, such as the Grenfell Tower fire and the Manchester concert bomb, that have provided important learning points. A paper will be circulated describing how the partners work, following the plan/do/act approach.

     

    Finally, members were reminded of the opportunity to sign up with the Environment Agency for warnings of flood events, received either by text message or landline calls.

     

    Resolution:

    Committee members noted the report.

54/18

RUNNYMEDE PLEASURE GROUNDS AND TOURISM IN RUNNYMEDE (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 110 KB

    An update on the Runnymede Pleasure Grounds improvements and how they might link to promoting Runnymede as a tourist destination.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Chris Hunt, Head of Community Development, Runnymede Borough Council

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None.

     

    Chris Hunt gave a short presentation showing indicative designs of the lodges, café and play area planned for the Pleasure Grounds. He discussed the timetable for the project, with the planning application being submitted in May this year and work on the site anticipated to begin early in 2020. There has been a lot of joint discussion with the National Trust to determine how best to align work at the Pleasure Grounds with their own plans for their Runnymede site.

     

    Member discussion – key points:

    Members asked about the planned catering provision, with concerns about the prices that might be charged, the venue capacity, and retaining the option of having other concessions on-site as well as the actual café itself. Mr Hunt assured members that research had been carried out to determine levels of demand and that proposals from potential caterers would be examined carefully before any contracts were awarded. He also confirmed that use of the play areas would remain free of charge.

     

    The aim would be to create a destination that would attract new visitors as well as the established local and repeat visitors, with an appeal to both young and old through provision of particular areas to allow noisy play and quiet relaxation. The café design includes a conference area and is flexible to accommodate bookings of various sizes; outside, it is envisaged that more events will be held on the main grass area.

     

    Some elements of the original plan had been scaled back to ensure that the project budget remained on track, and also to satisfy Environment Agency requirements. Suggestions of additional elements such as incorporation of pedestrian crossings into the scheme would mean that an existing element or elements would need to be removed in order to avoid extra costs.

     

    A request was made for a report showing the amount of S106 money available and the deadlines for its use.

     

    The Divisional member for Foxhills, Thorpe and Virginia Water complimented Mr Hunt and his team on their work on the car park rebuild at Virginia Water.

     

    Resolution:

    Committee members noted the report.

55/18

TASK GROUP UPDATES (FOR INFORMATION)

    Updates from the Joint Committee task groups.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Gregory Yeoman, Partnership Community Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    The chairman invited members of the Joint Committee task groups to give an update on their activity.

     

    ·         Parking – appropriate meetings have been held.

    ·         Resident Engagement – no meetings held yet, but will be planned.

    ·         Englefield Green Parking Group – one meeting has been held but parties are in contact.

    ·         Community Safety (external body with Joint Committee representation) – no meetings attended.

    ·         Early Help Advisory Board (external body with Joint Committee representation) – the chairman sits on this board and clarified some points in her recent letter to Dave Hill (Executive Director – Children Families and Learning). Mr Hill had offered opportunities to meet but the chairman had declined because she was either overseas or in hospital; the offered meeting time was 8.30am, not 8.00am.

     

    The chairman stressed the need for the committee to give serious consideration to the task groups that it sets up, and to make sure that those that are operating are effective.

56/18

FORWARD PROGRAMME 2019/20 pdf icon PDF 78 KB

57/18

DATE OF NEXT MEETING