Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Spelthorne Joint Committee
Monday, 10 December 2018 6.30 pm

Venue: Council Offices, Knowle Green, Staines-upon-Thames. TW18 1XB

Contact: Gregory Yeoman, Partnership Committee Officer  Room 357, Council Offices, Knowle Green, Staines-upon-Thames TW18 1XB

Link: Click here for podcast (playback varies according to web browser)

Items
No. Item

Open Forum Questions pdf icon PDF 80 KB

Questions and responses from the informal open forum session are attached as an Annex to the minutes.

47/18

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

48/18

MINUTES FROM PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 89 KB

49/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting.

    NOTES:

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

    ·         As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner).

    ·         Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    No declarations of interest were received.

50/18

DECISION TRACKER (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 112 KB

    To review any outstanding decisions from the Joint Committee.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Recommendations in the decision tracker were agreed as described.

51/18

PETITIONS & PETITION RESPONSES pdf icon PDF 109 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 14.1.  Notice must be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting.  Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s or Spelthorne Borough Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    Two petitions have been received and officer responses are provided.

     

    Gresham Road – petition to implement traffic calming measures to control speeds.

    211 signatures received. Lead petitioner Mr John Elliott.

     

    Chertsey Road – petition to implement traffic speed reduction measures.

    32 signatures received. Lead petitioner Mr David Fudge.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highway Manager

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: Two petitions were received.

     

    Petition 1 – Mr John Elliott brought a petition asking for the introduction of measures to reduce the level of traffic and to control speeds on Gresham Road in Staines.

    The petition had secured 211 signatures from the residents of Gresham Road and neighbouring roads. The petition and response were published with the agenda papers.

    During his presentation to the committee Mr Elliott made the following points:

    ·         Existing traffic calming measures were not having the desired effect;

    ·         The volume of traffic and its acceleration is more of a problem than simply the speed;

    ·         Congestion on Gresham Road leads to displacement of traffic to nearby roads;

    ·         Cars and buses drive on the pavement to avoid obstacles;

    ·         Corporate shuttle buses contribute a great deal to the problem.

     

    The Area Highways Manager pointed out that Gresham Road had remained on the ITS priorities list for 2019/20 as a site for a feasibility study for traffic, parking and speed management, which the committee would be taking a decision on under Item 9.

    Member discussion – key points

    The corporate shuttle buses are believed to be operating as private vehicles and as such there is no justification for asking them not to use Gresham Road. They are not allowed to park in the demarcated taxi rank, though.

    The Divisional Member for Staines stated that she had received a large number of communications from residents about the issues covered in the petition, and that the very high signature rate of nearly 100% of those asked to sign indicated the strength of feeling.

     

    Resolved

    The Joint Committee RESOLVED to allocate funding for a feasibility study.

     

    Petition 2 – Mr David Fudge brought a petition asking for the introduction of speed reduction measures on Chertsey Road, Ashford.

    The petition had secured 32 signatures from the residents of Chertsey Road and neighbouring roads. The petition and response were published with the agenda papers.

    Mr Fudge did not attend the meeting and there was no other spokesperson present to address the committee.

     

    The Area Highways Manager noted that this site had not previously been brought to his attention as an area of concern; it could be included on the ITS priorities list to highlight it as a target for future funding.

     

    Member discussion – key points

    The Divisional Member suggested her highways allocation could be used to pay for a feasibility study.

     

    Resolved

    The Joint Committee RESOLVED to add the feasibility study to the ITS priorities list, with the cost of this covered by the Divisional Member’s highways allocation.

     

52/18

WRITTEN MEMBER QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 92 KB

    To receive any written questions from members under Standing Order 13.  The deadline for members’ questions is 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    Two written member questions were received. The questions and responses were included within the supplementary agenda.

     

    Cllr Attewell, who had submitted the questions, stressed the need to maintain the Early Help Advisory Boards to provide oversight and scrutiny during the transition to the new model for the provision of Child Centres and other related services.

     

    No supplementary questions were asked.

     

    The Committee NOTED the officer responses.

53/18

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within Spelthorne borough area in accordance with Standing Order 14.2.  Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    There were no public questions.

54/18

COMMUNITY SAFETY PARTNERSHIP UPDATE (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 110 KB

    This report is an update for the Spelthorne Joint Committee on the role of the Spelthorne Safer Stronger Partnership.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Joint Committee (Spelthorne) noted:

     

    (i)    The contents of this report

     

    (ii)   The 2017-2020 Partnership Plan

     

    (iii) The successes and challenges for the Community Safety Partnership as detailed in the report to Spelthorne’s Overview & Scrutiny Committee on 11 September 2018, along with the key initiatives and campaigns that have been undertaken.

     

    Reasons for recommendations:

    This report presents the Partnership Plan for 2017 – 2020.

    This item is for information only.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Lee O’Neil, Deputy Chief Executive, Spelthorne Borough Council (Chair of the Spelthorne Safer Stronger Partnership Board)

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points: 

    Discussion covered:

    ·         Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) – the Borough Inspector agreed to circulate ASB figures for the borough broken down by town.

    ·         Water safety

    o   it was noted that police cars now carry water safety kits including throw-lines

    o   the police are liaising with private land owners where children swim in open water

    o   the Respect the Water project wants to run courses on open water awareness across the county and it would be useful of members could highlight areas where they think there may be gaps in the coverage

    ·         Unlawful encampments – there had been a number of unlawful encampments across the borough during 2018; the police had attended all of them and had operated according to the powers available to them and in close partnership with Spelthorne borough council to ensure that each situation was resolved as quickly as possible. Discussions were ongoing about identifying suitable locations for possible transit camps in the borough

    ·         Drugs - work in Stanwell concentrating on drug-related activity had resulted in the closure of a number of properties and a marked reduction in associated activity that had been having a negative effect on the community.

     

    Members commended the work in Stanwell and also the partnership approach with A2Dominion and noted the positive results bringing benefits to young people in the area.

     

    Resolved:

    The Joint Committee (Spelthorne) noted:

     

    (i)    The contents of this report

     

    (ii)   The 2017-2020 Partnership Plan

     

    (iii) The successes and challenges for the Community Safety Partnership as detailed in the report to Spelthorne’s Overview & Scrutiny Committee on 11 September 2018, along with the key initiatives and campaigns that have been undertaken.

     

    Reasons for recommendations:

    This report presents the Partnership Plan for 2017 – 2020.

    This item is for information only.

     

55/18

HIGHWAYS UPDATE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION) pdf icon PDF 173 KB

    To receive an update from the Highways Area Team Manager (North East).

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Joint Committee (Spelthorne):

    (i)    Agreed the strategy for allocation of Joint Committee Highways budgets for next Financial Year 2019-20 as set out in Table 4 (paragraphs 2.1.8 to 2.1.12 refer);

    (ii)  Delegated authority to the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and Divisional Member, to decide on completion of the feasibility study and subject to funding being made available, whether to promote a traffic regulation order for a new width restriction in Horton Road, Stanwell Moor Village, to consider any objections to any traffic regulation order and if feasible to implement the scheme (paragraphs 2.2.2 to 2.2.3 refer);

    (iii)Agreed the programme of ITS schemes for next Financial Year 2019-20 as set out in Table 6 (paragraphs 2.2.4 to 2.2.6 refer);

    (iv) Deferred agreement to the removal of 33 schemes from the prioritisation list in Annex A (paragraph 2.2.7 refers) until the Joint Committee meeting in March 2019;

    (v)  Agreed to the Area Highway Manager reviewing the Staines SCOOT region revalidation project with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and Staines Division and Ward Members, to review the observations of the project team and prioritise suggestions for further work (paragraphs 2.3.4 and 2.3.5 refer);

    (vi)Agreed to provide feedback on the draft reviewed Local Transport Strategy Forward Programme to the Area Highway Manager by 10th January 2019 (paragraphs 2.10.2 to 2.10.6 and Annex C refer);

    (vii)                Authorised the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

     

    Reasons for the recommendations:

    Recommendations are made to facilitate development of Committee’s 2019-20 Highways programmes, while at the same time ensuring that the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Members are fully and appropriately involved in any detailed considerations.

    Committee is asked to provide the necessary authorisation to deliver its programmes of work in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Member without the need to revert to the Committee as a whole.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: Mr Jim McIlroy, Chairman of the Stanwell Moor Residents’ Association, asked a question in the informal open forum at the start of the committee session – the discussion is recorded in the annex to these minutes.

     

    The Area Highways Manager (AHM) stated that the 2019/20 budget revised the Joint Committee’s resources, and he now anticipated receiving no revenue funding and approximately £182k capital funding, together with the £7.5k allocation to each Divisional Member. His recommendation was that £100k of the capital budget should be allocated to minor capital works, and £82k to significant patching works. Day-to-day maintenance such as vegetation clearance, sign cleaning, installation of new traffic lights etc would be covered by the Divisional Members’ allocations.

     

    It was noted that Annex A had not been reproduced completely with the agenda papers and it was therefore not possible to discuss it.

     

    Work on updating the Staines town centre SCOOT region is ongoing. Improvements have been made to its operation but new questions have been raised and officers are seeking discussions with stakeholders to determine the priorities and next steps.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    Concern was raised about the proposed roundabout at the junction of Charlton Road and Charlton Lane, which while improving the traffic flow was expected to lead to fewer gaps in the traffic and therefore reduced opportunities for pedestrians to cross the road in Charlton village. The scheme should therefore include a pedestrian crossing. AHM stated this was being covered under proposed schemes related to possible development at Shepperton Studios.

     

    The Vice-Chairman stressed that since the money had been committed for the width restriction feasibility study in Stanwell Moor he was keen for the installation work to go ahead (subject to the findings of the study). It was estimated that the cost for this could be between £50k and £75k, and that funding would come from CIL monies. There was a discussion about the composition of the CIL Task Group and the Partnership Committee Officer agreed to circulate the Terms of Reference to the member concerned.

     

    Resolved:

    The Joint Committee (Spelthorne):

    (i)    Agreed the strategy for allocation of Joint Committee Highways budgets for next Financial Year 2019-20 as set out in Table 4 (paragraphs 2.1.8 to 2.1.12 refer);

    (ii)  Delegated authority to the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and Divisional Member, to decide on completion of the feasibility study and subject to funding being made available, whether to promote a traffic regulation order for a new width restriction in Horton Road, Stanwell Moor Village, to consider any objections to any traffic regulation order and if feasible to implement the scheme (paragraphs 2.2.2 to 2.2.3 refer);

    (iii)Agreed the programme of ITS schemes for next Financial Year 2019-20 as set out in Table 6 (paragraphs 2.2.4 to 2.2.6 refer);

    (iv) Deferred agreement to the removal of 33 schemes from the prioritisation list in Annex A (paragraph  ...  view the full minutes text for item 55/18

56/18

ON-STREET PARKING ENFORCEMENT UPDATE pdf icon PDF 138 KB

    Joint Committees have a scrutiny role for the on-street parking enforcement service in their area and a share of any surplus income that is raised.

     

    This report sets out the background for these arrangements and provides an overview of the enforcement operation in Spelthorne.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Joint Committee(Spelthorne) noted the contents of the report.

     

    Reasons for recommendations:

    Waiting and parking restrictions that are suitably/adequately enforced will help to:

     

          Improve road safety

          Ensure access for emergency vehicles

          Improve access to shops, facilities and businesses

          Increase footfall into Town Centres

          Ensure access for refuse vehicles and service vehicles

          Ease traffic congestion

          Ensure turnover of parking space use across the borough

     

    The Joint Committee can contribute towards these objectives in partnership with the enforcement team.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Jackie Taylor – Group Head of Neighbourhood Services (SBC)

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

    The practicalities of metered parking were discussed, together with the rota system used for deploying Civil Enforcement Officers as efficiently as possible.

     

    The Chairman thanked Jackie Taylor for the report.

     

    Resolved:

    The Joint Committee (Spelthorne) noted the report.

57/18

FORWARD PROGRAMME 2018/19 pdf icon PDF 92 KB

58/18

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

    To be held on Wednesday 13th March 2019 at 6.30pm in the Council Chamber, Spelthorne Council Offices, Knowle Green, Staines-upon-Thames TW18 1XB.

     

    (Meeting will start with an Informal Open Forum.)

     

     

    Minutes:

    The next meeting will be held on Wednesday 13th March 2019 at 6.30pm in the Council Chamber, Spelthorne Council Offices, Knowle Green, Staines-upon-Thames TW18 1XB.