Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Reigate and Banstead Local Committee
Monday, 2 March 2020 2.00 pm

Venue: Reigate Town Hall, Castlefield Road, Reigate, Surrey RH2 0SH

Contact: Jess Edmundson, Partnership Committee Officer  Reigate Town Hall, Castlefield Road, Reigate, Surrey RH2 0SH

Items
No. Item

OPEN FORUM SESSION pdf icon PDF 48 KB

The questions and responses from the open forum session are included as Annex A to these minutes.

1/20

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS [AGENDA ITEM ONLY]

    The Chairman to give any announcements.

    Minutes:

    The Chairman gave the following announcements:

     

     

    ·         Coronavirus – There is lots of information and also misinformation being distributed. Surrey County Council (SCC) have been sending out regular information bulletins. I would urge you all to look at these and use this as the basis for informing your residents. As it stands there are two confirmed cases in Surrey who are either family members or known to each other. By following the advice given to us by SCC and Public Health we can minimise the risk and help stop the spread of the virus.

     

    ·         Members Community Allocation – The fund has now closed for 2019/20. In Reigate & Banstead 97% of the funds were committed and allocated to local projects across the borough. Several members helped to support the Junior Citizens Scheme. The events took place in February 2020 and involved 1000 young people across the borough.

    ·         Members Highways Fund – All money for 2019/20 has been committed and spent with just a few outstanding jobs to be done. This had been due to the weather. This is a pledge to members and residents to report any problems such as potholes or missing signs via the online ‘report it’ button. This is the easiest way to get jobs logged.

    ·         Rural Gigabit voucher scheme – Members should all recently have received an email from Katie Brennan in relation to the Rural Gigabit Voucher Scheme. These vouchers can be applied for by residents in rural designated postcodes. Groups of two or more residential properties or small/medium businesses (SMEs) in Defra designated rural postcodes could be entitled to vouchers to upgrade their broadband to full fibre. It is estimated that approximately 2000 residents and businesses could be eligible for these vouchers in Reigate & Banstead. Can I urge members to spread the word to residents and businesses who this may be suitable for and encourage them to apply? Katie Brennan, SCC is also very happy to speak to anyone who would like to know more.

    ·         A217 works – The road safety work south of Reigate are due to start shortly. More information should be sent out to members on this shortly.

    ·         Sustainable Travel Task Group – the task group is making progress in the set up and we are still looking for innovators who would like to be involved. Details of the first meeting will be sent out shortly and is scheduled for 25 March. Members have been provided with two handouts today. One looks at the topics the task group would like to cover, although this is not an exhaustive list and is open to suggestions. The second handout looks at the project management tools that the task group will use to assess each of the topics on the list. This will also be distributed electronically after the meeting.

    ·         Thanks to services – The recent bad weather has caused much disruption and I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all the people; emergency services, highways officers and Keir that worked around the clock to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 1/20

2/20

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

3/20

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 143 KB

4/20

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter:

     

        (i)        Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

       (ii)        Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

     

    NOTES:

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

    ·         As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Members is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

    ·         Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial

    Minutes:

    There were no declarations of interest.

5/20

PETITIONS

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting. Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    Minutes:

    There was one petition received before the deadline. The full wording of the petition and officer response was available to view within the supplementary agenda.

5/20a

PETITION TO: MAKE CHANGES TO THE ROADS AROUND ST JOHNS CHURCH, REDHILL TO MAKE THE AREA SAFE FOR PEDESTRIANS AND MOTORISTS pdf icon PDF 82 KB

    The full wording of the petition and officer response will be provided within the supplementary agenda.

    Minutes:

     

    Declarations of Interest: None


    Officers Attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager (AHM), SCC

    Petitions, Public Questions and Statements:  None

     

    The lead petitioner, Mrs Diane Brown attended the meeting and addressed the committee with her concerns. She noted the road was narrow and suggested trialling a one way single track along the road to help with this. She noted also there was currently a 20mph zone in place outside the school but at present this didn’t work well and the zone needed to be extended in order to be more effective.

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    ·         The local divisional member noted that St John’s was a conservation area that was a little oasis of history located in Redhill. This meant these historical and narrowly constructed roads were not suitable for nowadays. It was noted that many of the problems were associated with the large Britaniacrest HGVs that were using this route. She added that she had been looking at this for some time along with officers and work was underway to implement a weight restriction on the road to help alleviate the problem.

    ·         It was noted that many commuters were aware of the narrow nature of the road and often parked with 2 wheels on the pavement to leave more space in the road. This caused a pavement obstruction and made it harder for pedestrians to use the pavement safely.

    ·         The divisional member concluded that she had been busy working with the Greenspaces team at Reigate & Banstead Borough Council (RBBC) to look at installing a cinder path across the common to provide a safe walking route to the school. Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) funding would be sought to fund this.

    ·         The committee acknowledged this was a big problem and one that had been so for some time. With the AHM adding that everything that could be looked at or done to improve the situation would be explored as part of the upcoming feasibility study at the location.

    ·         It was noted the officer response didn’t appear to have the level of detail or commitment of support that was given verbally by the divisional member. The AHM confirmed this was because the suggestion of the cinder path was associated with the borough council and not something that was on the highway and therefore not a SCC responsibility.

    ·         The Chairman noted there were comments made about the part time signage not working as it should. He advised members of the committee and the public that if this was the case then this should be reported via the online reporting process as mentioned in his chairman’s announcements.

     

    Resolution:

     

    The local committee noted the response and the planned works that had already been approved and those that were to be carried out in the coming financial year.

6/20

FORMAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 157 KB

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Reigate and Banstead Borough area in accordance with Standing Order 69. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer by 12 noon 4 working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None


    Officers Attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager (AHM), SCC

    Petitions, Public Questions and Statements: There were three questions received before the deadline from two different questioners. The details of the questions and officer responses were provided within the supplementary agenda.

     

    Neither questioner attended the meeting to ask a supplementary question.

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    ·         Members raised questions about the table provided within the response to question 3. Clarification was sought on the support that was available from SCC to local schools in relation to road safety and sustainable travel services. The Chairman stated he would seek clarity from the officers about this.

     

7/20

FORMAL MEMBER QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 316 KB

    To receive any questions from Members under Standing Order 47. Notice should be given in writing to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer before 12 noon 4 working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None


    Officers Attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager (AHM), SCC

    Petitions, Public Questions and Statements: There was one question received before the deadline. The details of the question and officer response were provided within the supplementary agenda.

     

    Ms Thomson did not ask a supplementary question; stating the question had come from a resident and she had submitted it on their behalf.

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    ·         A question was asked about the process of road adoption and what residents would need to do for SCC to consider adopting it. The AHM confirmed that details of the process are included on the SCC website. She then explained that when the development was past the point of construction, the residents would need to agree that this was something they’d want to do. An assessment would be paid for by residents but this would need to be done through SCC’s Transport Development and Planning (TDP) team or a consultant to then find out the costs.

    ·         The AHM suggested a question could be formally submitted to the Partnership Committee Officer (PCO) for a full and proper answer.

12/20

ACTIVE NEIGHBOURHOODS PRESENTATION [AGENDA ITEM ONLY] pdf icon PDF 4 MB

    To receive a presentation from representatives of Cycle Redhill and Reigate discuss their work and involvement in the recent Active Neighbourhoods project.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None


    Officers Attending: None

    Petitions, Public Questions and Statements: None

     

    Mr Bill Jessup from Cycle Redhill & Reigate attended the meeting to give a presentation on the Active Neighbourhoods project and the involvement the group had had in this.

     

    The presentation given by Mr Jessup is included as Annex B to these minutes.

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    ·         The Local Committee thanked Mr Jessup for his insightful and interesting presentation.

    ·         Members noted that the presentation focussed a lot on cycling in the Netherlands and noted the topography of such was very different to Reigate; flat. Mr Jessup confirmed this was a coincidence and had no bearing on cycling in the Netherlands as cycling was even prevalent in the mountainous areas. He added the increase in availability and affordability of electric bikes was making it easier to cycle in hilly areas such as Reigate.

    ·         Members acknowledged that the presentation was a good first step and introduction to the Sustainable Travel Task Group and the complex issues they would be faced with. They agreed that all travel would need to be looked at holistically as to not adversely impact on any other when looking for solutions.

    ·          The Chairman added in relation to the Task Group that it was important to keep groups such as Cycle Redhill & Reigate with the interest and expertise involved in the work.

     

8/20

CABINET MEMBER FOR HIGHWAYS UPDATE TO COUNCIL [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 96 KB

    SCC Cabinet Members provide a briefing on their portfolios to council meetings. The Cabinet Member for Highways and Transport briefings will be provided for the local and joint committees for consideration and comment. As this is the first report, the last three briefings have been attached as Annex A.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None


    Officers Attending: None

    Petitions, Public Questions and Statements: None

     

    Resolution:

     

    The Local Committee noted the contents of the briefing.

     

9/20

HIGHWAYS SCHEMES 2019/20 – END OF YEAR UPDATE [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 129 KB

    To inform the Local Committee on the outcome of the 2019/20 Integrated Transport Scheme (ITS) and highway maintenance programmes in Reigate and Banstead and the amendments to the 2020/21 Local Committee capital budget.

     

    This report also sets out the progress of highway works carried out by Surrey County Council which were not funded by the Local Committee and were not progressed by the Local Area Team, but other teams within the council.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Reigate & Banstead) agreed:

     

    i)          To note the contents of this report.

    ii)         To note the increased capital budget for 2020/21, following the full council meeting held in December 2019, from £211,111 which was reported at the December Local Committee to £334,000.

    iii)        That the capital improvement schemes allocation for Reigate and Banstead in 2020/21 be used to progress the Integrated Transport Schemes programme as set out in Annex 4.

    iv)        To note the increased capital maintenance budget for 2020/21 from £174,000 to £295,000, following the full council meeting held in December 2019. Which will be used to fund capital maintenance schemes, divided equitably between divisional members. Schemes to be progressed using this funding will be agreed by the Reigate & Banstead Maintenance Engineer in consultation with the Local Committee Chairman, Vice-Chairman and divisional members.

     

    Reason for decisions:

     

    The above decisions were made to update the Local Committee on the outcome of the 2019/20 highway works programme in Reigate and Banstead, and amendments to the 2020/21 Local Committee capital budget.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None


    Officers Attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager (AHM), SCC

    Petitions, Public Questions and Statements: None

     

    The AHM introduced the report thanking members for the co-operation to help get schemes progressed and work done. She added the details of all the work done and scheduled was detailed in the annexes to the report.

     

    She also highlighted the good news about additional funding that was detailed within the report. She thanked those members who had agreed to pool £6000 of their £7500 Member Highways Fund to help fund a Revenue Maintenance Gang as they had done in the previous financial year.

     

    Key points from the discussion:

     

    ·         Members questioned the information relating to drainage a gully cleaning. The report stated the information in relation to Mole Valley. The AHM apologised for the typo and confirmed that it should in fact read Reigate & Banstead.

    ·         There was confusion over the various budgets and the changes that had been detailed. There was concern the figures in the report didn’t add up. The AHM advised she would email members separately to explain the various budgets as it would be the most straight forward approach.

    ·         A specific query was raised by the divisional member about Parkhurst Road, Horley and the dreadful state that it was currently in. The forward programme seemed to suggest that more patching work would be taking place when it was felt that a full resurface was needed. The AHM said she would seek clarification on exactly what work was being done and report back. She added that version 1 of 2020-21 Horizons programme was available to view online and members could nominate roads to have work done through this programme.

    ·         A question was asked about Masons Bridge Road and the work that was being done to improve safety here. It was suggested that the single post with a flashing Vehicle Activated Sign (VAS) would be insufficient at managing speeds and stopping accidents. The AHM confirmed there were limited options available on this road due to space and accessibility and this was deemed as the best option.

    ·         A concern was raised over the proposed location of a build out in Banstead village. The divisional member raised concerns that the location would lead to confusion and further congestion. The AHM confirmed she would pass this to the Road Safety Team who were responsible for the scheme and ask them to contact the member directly.

    ·         A question was asked about the replacement of old and unusable street furniture and the plans that were in place to replace these. The AHM confirmed the good news that there was additional capital funding for both illuminated and non-illuminated signs to be installed along the A217. She added she would be in contact with the divisional member outside the meeting to discuss.

    ·         It was requested that the statutory 20mph sign on the entrance to Earlswood be replaced as a matter of urgency as there currently was no warning to motorists they were entering the zone. The AHM  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9/20

10/20

RECOMMENDATIONS AND DECISIONS TRACKER [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 249 KB

    The tracker monitors the progress of the decisions and recommendations that the Local Committee has agreed.

     

    The Local Committee is asked to note the progress made and agree to remove from the tracker any items marked ‘complete’.

    Minutes:

     

    The Local Committee noted the decision tracker.

11/20

FORWARD PLAN [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 51 KB

    The Local Committee (Reigate and Banstead) will note the contents of the forward plan.

    Minutes:

    The Local Committee noted the forward plan and asked for a standing item of Task Group Updates to be included as well as a future report to be received on the Universal Youth Offer, following the closure of the consultation in April 2020.