Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (SACRE) exists to:
· determine religious education content in Surrey maintained schools by producing a locally agreed syllabus and reviewing it every five years
· advise on matters of collective worship in county schools and religious education in line with the agreed syllabus. This includes methods of teaching, choice of materials and training for teachers
· assist with any complaint about religious education or collective worship in schools
· publish an annual report on any action SACRE has taken and any advice it has given.
SACRE can consider requests from schools (made by the headteacher following consultation with the governing body) to allow some or all pupils to take part in collective worship that is not wholly or broadly Christian.
SACRE is made up of groups representing:
· the Church of England
· Christian denominations other than the Church of England and other faith groups representing the main religious traditions of the area teachers associations Surrey County Council.
· Teachers associations
· Surrey County Council.
SACRE can co-opt relevant other members, for example, a representative from another interested group or a religious educational specialist.
Kingston upon Thames
Phone: 0300 200 1004