Agenda

AGM, Council - Tuesday, 21 May 2024 10.00 am

Venue: Woodhatch Place, 11 Cockshot Hill, Reigate, Surrey, RH2 8EF

Contact: Amelia Christopher  Email: amelia.christopher@surreycc.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

1.

CHAIR

    • Share this item

    1.      To elect a Chair for the Council Year 2024/25.

    2.      The Chair to make the statutory declaration of acceptance of office.

    Additional documents:

2.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

    • Share this item

    The Chair to report apologies for absence.

    Additional documents:

3.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 211 KB

4.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    • Share this item

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest

    ·         As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

    ·         Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

    Additional documents:

5.

CHAIR'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

    • Share this item

    Welcome

    Welcome everyone to the Council’s Annual General Meeting. I find it incredible that a whole year has passed since I became Chair of our Council – and what a year it has been. It is something of an understatement to say it has flown by. I have thoroughly enjoyed my first year as Chair and I am immensely looking forward to the next year.

     

    A friendly reminder that following the meeting, lunch is provided for Members and CLT who have requested it. Please do join me in the canteen. I look forward to seeing you all there.

     

    Chris Norman RIP

    I am afraid I begin with the sad news of the passing of Chris Norman, former Conservative councillor in the Chertsey division. Chris passed away in April, after a long battle with illness. Some of you will remember Chris, who retired from public office in 2017 having served two terms as a county councillor. I am sure you will join me in sending condolences to his wife Judith.

     

    Installation of the High Sheriff of Surrey, 2024-25

    In March I attended the installation of the High Sheriff of Surrey 2024-25, Shahid Azeem. This is Shahid’s second term as High Sheriff, having served in 2020-21, and I am delighted that I will be in post as Chair for Shahid’s year. His theme for his term of office is ‘interfaith and community cohesion’. I wish Shahid a highly productive and enjoyable year.

     

    Chair’s Theme: Celebrating Diverse Communities

    As you are aware, my theme for my time as Chair is ‘Celebrating Diverse Communities’. Throughout the past year I have met with many organisations and individuals who do so much to support, celebrate and empower many of the different communities in our county. Surrey is a richly diverse county and it has been a fantastic yet deeply humbling experience to discover and learn more about the various cultures, communities and individuals that have made our great county their home.

     

    Amongst the communities and organisations I have supported, is the wonderful Surrey Youth Focus, who I am sure you are all familiar with. I have been able to help fund very valuable research into exploring ‘inclusion’ for children and young people with neurodiverse traits, to amplify their voices to influence the difference they would like to see in their communities. This project aims to address the needs expressed by young people who are both neurodiverse and have another protected characteristic or need, such as being from a minority ethnic background or living in poverty. I will share the outcomes with you all in due course.

     

    I have also supported the Surrey Coalition of Disabled People (SCDP) to purchase IT equipment for those they support, in order to help with on-going employment and job opportunities; to connect with others over the internet; and have the opportunity to engage more with life and with people that many of us so often take for granted. Technology really can be an invaluable lifeline for so many people with disabilities  ...  view the full agenda text for item 5.

    Additional documents:

6.

VICE-CHAIR

    • Share this item

    1.      To elect a Vice-Chair for the Council Year 2024/25.

    2.      The Vice-Chair to make the statutory declaration of acceptance of office.

    Additional documents:

7.

LEADER'S STATEMENT

    • Share this item

    The Leader to make a statement.

     

    There will be an opportunity for Members to ask questions and/or make comments.

     

    Additional documents:

8.

CHANGES TO CABINET PORTFOLIOS pdf icon PDF 14 KB

    • Share this item

    Council is asked to note the Leader's changes to Cabinet Portfolios.

     

    Additional documents:

9.

ANNUAL REVIEW OF POLITICAL PROPORTIONALITY pdf icon PDF 161 KB

    • Share this item

    To formally review the proportional political allocation of places on committees and to adopt a scheme of proportionality for the Council Year 2024/25.

     

    (Note: report to follow)

     

    Additional documents:

10.

APPOINTMENT OF COMMITTEES pdf icon PDF 226 KB

    • Share this item

    To appoint Members of the various Boards / Committees of the Council for the Council Year 2024/25 subject to any changes of membership to be reported to the meeting by Group Leaders.

     

    (Note: report to follow)

     

    Additional documents:

11.

ELECTION OF COMMITTEE CHAIRMEN AND VICE-CHAIRMEN pdf icon PDF 44 KB

    • Share this item

    To elect Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen of Committees for the Council Year 2024/25.

     

    (Note: report to follow)

     

    Additional documents:

12.

APPOINTMENT OF INTERIM HEAD OF PAID SERVICE pdf icon PDF 91 KB

    • Share this item

    The purpose of this report is to request that County Council approves the appointment of an Interim Head of Paid Service.

     

     

     

    Additional documents:

13.

APPOINTMENT OF INDEPENDENT MEMBER TO THE AUDIT AND GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE pdf icon PDF 127 KB

    • Share this item

    Council is asked to ratify the appointment of the Independent Member to the Audit and Governance Committee for a period of four years as detailed in the report.

    Additional documents:

14.

AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION pdf icon PDF 116 KB

    • Share this item

    It is the Council’s responsibility to approve changes to the Council’s Constitution. Amendments to Executive functions are the responsibility of the Leader and are brought to Council to note.

     

    This report sets out proposed changes to:

     

    • Part 3 – Responsibility for Functions and Scheme of Delegation – Proper Officer Functions (Part 3, Section 3, Part 4).
    • Part 6 – Codes and Protocols – Officer Code of Conduct (Part 6 (03)).

     

    These changes are brought to Council for formal approval in accordance with Articles 4.09, 5.02 and 11.02 of the Council’s Constitution.

     

    A recent amendment to Executive functions in relation to the governance of the Basingstoke Canal is brought to Council for noting.

    Additional documents:

15.

MEMBERS' QUESTION TIME pdf icon PDF 241 KB

    • Share this item

    The Leader of the Council, the Deputy Leader or the appropriate Member of the Cabinet or the chairman of a committee to answer any questions on any matter relating to the powers and duties of the County Council, or which affects the county.

     

    (Note: Notice of questions in respect of the above item on the agenda must be given in writing, preferably by e-mail, to Democratic Services by 12 noon on Wednesday 15 May 2024).  

     

    Additional documents:

16.

STATEMENTS BY MEMBERS

    • Share this item

    Any Member may make a statement at the meeting on a local issue of current or future concern.

     

    (Note:  Notice of statements must be given in writing, preferably by e-mail, to Democratic Services by 12 noon on Monday 20 May 2024).

     

    Additional documents:

17.

REPORT OF THE CABINET pdf icon PDF 180 KB

    • Share this item

    To receive the report of the meetings of the Cabinet held on 26 March 2024 and 23 April 2024.

    Additional documents:

18.

MINUTES OF CABINET MEETINGS pdf icon PDF 182 KB

    • Share this item

    Any matters within the minutes of the Cabinet’s meetings, and not otherwise brought to the Council’s attention in the Cabinet’s report, may be the subject of questions and statements by Members upon notice being given to Democratic Services by 12 noon on Monday 20 May 2024.

    Additional documents: