Agenda, decisions and minutes

Tandridge Local Committee
Friday, 14 December 2012 10.30 am

Venue: Tandridge District Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey, RH8 0BT

Contact: Sarah Woodworth, Community Partnership and Committee Officer  Tandridge District Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey, RH8 0BT

Items
No. Item

51/12

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTIONS

    To receive any apologies for absence and notices of substitutions from District members under Standing Order 39.

    Minutes:

     

    Apologies for absence received from County Councillor Tony Elias and District Councillor Nick Childs.  District Councillors – DC Cooper, DC Dunbar, DC Fisher and DC Harwood left the meeting after Item 7.

     

     

     

52/12

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 60 KB

    To approve the Minutes of the previous meeting as a correct record.

    Minutes:

    The following amendments were made to the minutes: 

     

    Page 5: 46/12 Cllr Morrow agreed to speak to the District to ask that a similar notification could be provided to District members.

     

    Subject to the above amendments, the minutes were agreed as an accurate record of the meeting

     

53/12

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    To receive any declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests from Members in respect of any item to be considered at the meeting.

     

    Notes:

    ·        In line with the Relevant Authorities (Disclosable Pecuniary Interests) Regulations 2012, declarations may relate to the interest of the member, or the member’s spouse or civil partner, or a person with whom the member is living as husband or wife, or a person with whom the member is living as if they were civil partners and the member is aware they have the interest.

     

    ·        Members need only disclose interests not currently listed on the Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests.

     

    ·        Members must notify the Monitoring Officer of any interests disclosed at the meeting so they may be added to the Register.

     

    ·        Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

     

    Minutes:

    Cllr Morrow declared an interest in Item 10 Warlingham Cricket Club by virtue of his Membership to the Club. Although unable to vote on the Item, he wished for the declaration to be noted

    Mrs Marks and Cllr Cooper declared an interest in Item 10 for Soper Hall Community Centre Limited.

     

54/12

PETITIONS pdf icon PDF 39 KB

    To receive any petitions from local government electors in the Tandridge District area in accordance with Standing Order 65 and the Local Protocol. Notice should be given in writing or by e-mail to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 5 days before the meeting.

     

    Two petitions have been received at time of printing.  One petition regarding speeding on the A25 at Limpsfield. One regarding an additional street light on Torwood Lane, Whyteleafe.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    A25 (Limpsfield)

    A petition was presented by Jennifer Richards, signed by 292 residents, requesting a reduction in the speed limit from 40mph to 30mph outside Limpsfield C of E Infant School between Ballards Land and the junction with Limpsfield High Street.

     

    The Local Committee NOTED the response.

     

     

    Torwood Lane, Whyteleafe

    A petition was received, signed by 19 residents requesting additional lighting on Torwood Lane.

     

    The Local Committee NOTED the response.

     

     

     

55/12

FORMAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 176 KB

    To receive any questions from local government electors in the Tandridge District area in accordance with Standing Order 66 as amended by the local protocol. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 7 days before the meeting.

     

    Three questions have been received at time of printing. One question regarding speeding on Felcourt Road, Felcourt. One question requesting a 20mph on Station Road East, Oxted. One question regarding speed enforcement on Stanstead Road, Caterham.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Four formal public questions were received. Written responses are attached to the minutes.

     

    [Lynn Hunter- Rowe on behalf of Felcourt Against Speeding Traffic, asked a supplementary question asking the Committee who would take responsibility should an accident occur.  The Committee encouraged the Community group to continue working with the police ensure that they enforce the speed limit on the road. It was suggested that the group may wish to speak to the new Police and Crime Commissioner to express their concerns of speeding and enforcement on the roads in the District.]    

     

    [David Borer on behalf of Transport Access Group asked if the speed limit on Station Road East, Oxted could be reduced to 20mph to make it easier for people to cross the road. The Divisional member commented that he has contacted the Chamber of Commerce in Oxted to seek their views on where the crossings are on Station Road East.]

     

    [Cllr Webster thanked the Committee for writing to the Police Chief Constable regarding the speeding on Stanstead Road. 

     

    The Committee AGREED to write another letter to the Police, asking that they consider other options for positioning mobile cameras for enforcing speeding motorists.]

     

     

    [Leony Goodwin thanked the Committee for their support to date on Harestone Valley Road.  Asking a supplementary question of when possible costings for the crossing would be available as the school may wish to fund raise.  The Area Highways Manager advised that they are awaiting full costings and final design. 

     

    The Committee AGREED that when the costings were available the divisional Member would contact the school to discuss options for a crossing point.]

     

     

56/12

FORMAL MEMBERS QUESTIONS

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.Notice should be given in writing to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer of formal questions by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

     

    [None received at time of printing.]

     

    Minutes:

     

     

    Mrs Marks asked if the Parking Team at Surrey County Council could provide some statistics on the frequency of visits by the Parking Enforcement Team in Caterham and the number of parking tickets issued.  Local traders and businesses are very disappointed that the level of attention given to Caterham by the enforcement team has worsened in the last year or so. Could the Local Committee scrutinise the current service with particular regard to value for money and efficacy?

     

    The Committee AGREED to invite the Parking Team Manager at Surrey County Council to a future meeting to discuss.

     

     

    Mr Sydney requested the Committee’s support for a report to be brought to the March Committee meeting explaining what can and cannot be done to restrict the movement of HGV’s on rural roads in Tandridge. It was suggested that the report considered all roads in the area and not only rural roads.  The Chair requested that this be available in good time to share with Parish Councils.

     

    The Committee AGREED for a report to be provided at the next meeting.

57/12

UPDATE ON WINTER MAINTENANCE ARRANGEMENTS pdf icon PDF 48 KB

    To update the Local Committee (Tandridge) on the Winter Plan for 2012/13, which sets out the provisions for keeping roads and footways accessible during winter weather.

     

    (Report and Annex A attached)

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

          i.        NOTED the revised winter maintenance arrangements for Tandridge.

     

         ii.        AGREED that the information contained in the report is shared widely within the District.

     

    Reason for decision

     

    The Committee were pleased to hear of the revised arrangements for how the County is prepared for winter weather in the District.

     

     

     

    Minutes:

    The Area Highways Manager presented the report.

     

    During the discussion by the Committee the following points were raised:

     

    ·         The Committee wished to thank Officers for their work to date on the Winter Maintenance scheme and providing new manually steered grit spreaders to Parish Councils, working together to agree what footpaths would be cleared in bad weather.

    ·         Members reported that Parish Councils who had received a new grit spreader were delighted at being able to make a difference in the local area.

    ·         The Area Highway Manager advised County Councillors that they can use their Community Pride money to purchase grit bins.

    ·         Members were concerned that the report did not mention the use of a 4x4 vehicle as the North Downs did have a great need in bad weather.

     

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

          i.        NOTED the revised winter maintenance arrangements for Tandridge.

     

         ii.        AGREED that the information contained in the report is shared widely within the District.

     

     

    NOTE - DC Cooper, DC Dunbar, DC Fisher and DC Harwood left the meeting after the Item at 11.45am.

     

     

     

58/12

HIGHWAYS SCHEMES PROGRESS REPORT pdf icon PDF 248 KB

    To update the Local Committee on the progress of Integrated Transport and maintenance schemes on the highways.

     

    (Report attached)

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

          i.        NOTED the report for information

     

     

    Reason for decision

     

    The Local Committee noted the position of the current highways schemes and progress to date.

     

    Minutes:

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

          i.        NOTED the report for information

     

     

59/12

YOUTH SMALL GRANTS UPDATE pdf icon PDF 52 KB

    To update the Local Committee on the Youth Small Grants approved bids in Tandridge for 2012/13.

     

    (Report attached)

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

          i.        NOTED the report for information

     

    Reason for decision

     

    The Committee were pleased that Youth Small Grant is helping local groups to fund youth projects in the District.

    Minutes:

    An Officer from Youth Commissioning Services presented the report.

     

    The following points were raised:

     

    ·         The deadline for applications to the Youth Small Grant has been extended from the 31 December to 1 February 2013.

    ·         The criteria for applying for the funding has been revised allowing community groups of young people to apply as long as they do it in association with a voluntary organisation, the income and size restriction of the organisation is therefore not applicable as it is the young people making the application.

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

          i.        NOTED the report for information

     

     

60/12

MEMBERS ALLOCATIONS pdf icon PDF 146 KB

    To takes decisions on the most recent applications for funding from the local community.

     

    (Report and Annex A attached)

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

     

     i.             AGREED the items presented for funding from the Local Committee’s 2012/13 revenue budget as set out in section 2 of this report and summarised below:

     

    Organisation                                    Project Title                         Amount

     

    Chaldon Scout Group                     Refurbishment of HQ          £4000

    Surrey Police                                                Electric Patrol Cycles          £0

    Soper Hall Community Centre      Tables and Trolleys             £2500

    Downlands Project                          Minibus                                  £3500

    Tandridge DC                                   Taxi Vouchers                      £5000

    Burstow Parish Council                  Millennium Garden Proj.    £1250

    Outwood Cricket Club                     Junior Academy Equip       £523.94

    Warlingham Cricket Club               Practice Net                          £5000

     

    ii.         AGREED the items presented for funding from the Local Committee’s 2012/13 capital funding as set out in section 2 of the report and summarised below:

     

                Organisation                                    Project Title                         Amount

    1st Whyteleafe Scouts                     Refurbishment of Scout     £5467.50

    Hut     

     

    iii.        NOTED the expenditure previously approved by the Community Partnerships Manager and the Community Partnerships Team Leader, in consultation with County Councillors, under delegated powers, as set out in section 3.

     

    iv.        NOTED any returned funding and/or adjustments, as set out within the report and at Annex A.

     

    Reason for decision

     

    All projects under consideration have been sponsored by, and have the support of, the appropriate Local Member or, for District-wide bids, the Chairman.   County Members are requested to consider each of them on their individual merits and to decide, as a group, whether or not to approve them.

     

    ITEM i.

     

    SURREY POLICE the Committee felt that Members Allocations should not be used to fund a Police project.

     

    BURSTOW PARISH COUNCIL the Committee felt that funding for the garden project could be sought from other funding streams so agreed to 50% of the amount requested.

     

    ITEM ii.

     

    1st WHYTELEAFE SCOUTS the Committee agreed to use all of the remaining capital funds on this project and increase the amount to £5467.50.

     

     

               

     

     

     

    Minutes:

    NOTE- Due to request from a Member, the Chairman brought forward Item 10 to after Item 7.

     

    The sponsoring Member presented the bid.

     

    During the discussion by the Committee the following points were raised:

     

    ·         Mr Skellett asked if the Committee would support an application to help fund a Stroke Rehabilitation services.  The East of the County and in Tandridge this provision is poor compared with the West.  Mr Skellett asked if the Committee would support a future application and asked officers to contact the Stroke Support Network.

    ·         The Committee wished for Officers to look into the other options to help residents with the cost of travelling in the district to ensure value for money.

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

     

     i.             AGREED the items presented for funding from the Local Committee’s 2012/13 revenue budget as set out in section 2 of this report and summarised below:

     

    Organisation                                    Project Title                         Amount

     

    Chaldon Scout Group                     Refurbishment of HQ          £4000

    Surrey Police                                                Electric Patrol Cycles          £0

    Soper Hall Community Centre      Tables and Trolleys             £2500

    Downlands Project                          Minibus                                  £3500

    Tandridge DC                                   Taxi Vouchers                      £5000

    Burstow Parish Council                  Millennium Garden Proj.    £1250

    Outwood Cricket Club                     Junior Academy Equip       £523.94

    Warlingham Cricket Club               Practice Net                          £5000

     

    ii.         AGREED the items presented for funding from the Local Committee’s 2012/13 capital funding as set out in section 2 of the report and summarised below:

     

                Organisation                                    Project Title                         Amount

    1st Whyteleafe Scouts                     Refurbishment of Scout     £5467.50

    Hut     

     

    iii.        NOTED the expenditure previously approved by the Community Partnerships Manager and the Community Partnerships Team Leader, in consultation with County Councillors, under delegated powers, as set out in section 3.

     

    iv.        NOTED any returned funding and/or adjustments, as set out within the report and at Annex A.

     

     

     

     

    Reason for decision

     

    All projects under consideration have been sponsored by, and have the support of, the appropriate Local Member or, for District-wide bids, the Chairman.   County Members are requested to consider each of them on their individual merits and to decide, as a group, whether or not to approve them.

     

    ITEM i.

     

    SURREY POLICE the Committee felt that Members Allocations should not be used to fund a Police project.

     

    BURSTOW PARISH COUNCIL the Committee felt that funding for the garden project could be sought from other funding streams so agreed to 50% of the amount requested.

     

    ITEM ii.

     

    1st WHYTELEAFE SCOUTS the Committee agreed to use all of the remaining capital funds on this project and increase the amount to £5467.50.

     

     

               

     

     

     

61/12

LOCAL COMMITTEE FLEXIBLE FORWARD PLAN pdf icon PDF 67 KB

    To note the flexible programme.

     

    (Report attached)

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

          i.        NOTED the report for information

     

         ii.        AGREED the provisional dates for 2013/14

     

     

    Reason for decision

     

    The Committee were happy to note the report.

    Minutes:

    The Community Partnership and Committee Officer presented the report.

     

    During the discussion the Committee raised the following point:

     

    ·         Request that the Parking Team attend the March meeting and a representative from Network Rail attend the June meeting as these are important matters for residents in Tandridge.

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

          i.        NOTED the report for information

     

         ii.        AGREED the provisional dates for 2013/14