Agenda, decisions and minutes

Tandridge Local Committee
Friday, 21 September 2018 10.15 am

Venue: Tandridge District Council offices, Station Road East, Oxted, RH8 0BT

Contact: Sarah Woodworth, Partnership Committee Officer  Tandridge District Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey, RH8 0BT

Items
No. Item

26/18

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

27/18

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 99 KB

28/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter:

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    Notes:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    None received.

29/18

PETITIONS pdf icon PDF 97 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting. Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    Three petitions have been received

     

    Petition 1: Janine Marks submitted a petition with 513 signatures, asking for a review of speed limits and a variety of additional highway measures between Bletchingley and Godstone .

     

    Petition 2: Diane Brown submitted a petition with 226 signatures, requesting an urgent review the junction of Sandy Lane/ Big Common Lane/ Little Common Lane/ Pendell Road in Bletchingley and implement safety measures or changes to priorities at this accident blackspot.

     

    Petition 3: Beverly Mann submitted a petition with 157 signatures requesting the speeds on Lingfield Common Road be reduced. 

     

     

     

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Three petitions had been received.  Responses to the petitions were provided in the supplementary papers.

     

    Petition 1 A25 Godstone Road, Bletchingley

     

    Discussion for this petition was taken with ITEM 8.

     

    The lead petition Mrs Janine Marks presented the petition.  She advised that the petition had been signed by residents in both Godstone and Bletchingley villages who had concerns regarding both the speeds of vehicles and safety on the A25.

     

    Concerns raised included:

     

               The sight lines when exiting Sunnybank.

               Difficulty for residents crossing the road and asked if a refuge point could be installed. 

               The cost of increasing the speed limit on the A25, was not a good use of public money.

               Possibility of the cemetery being extended and a new housing development not being taken into consideration.

               Request for a strategic and holistic view of the whole of the A25 from Godstone to Bletchingley.

     

    Mr Woods, who had submitted a question on the same topic, asked to speak at this point and raised his key points which included:

     

               That full consideration had not being given to the correspondence sent to the Local Committee or addressed within the report for item 8. 

               Concerns regarding speed, and pedestrians crossing the road to get to the bus stop, and the residents do not feel safe.

     

     

    Ward Members for Bletchingley and Nutfield Ward, District Councillors Tony Elias and Gill Black asked to speak to the Committee. 

     

    Key points raised included:

     

               Widespread support for this petition.

               Concerns regarding inaccuracies within the Officer report, and steps under Surrey’s Policy -Setting Local Speed Limits not being followed correctly.

               The letters of the support received from Bletchingley Parish Council, Opheus Centre, Godstone Village Association and Divers Cove had not been taken into consideration in the report.

               Requesting a strategic and holistic view to the A25 between Godstone and Bletchingley rather than looking a small part.

               The engineering methods, to reduce speeds that were agreed in 2011 have not been implemented such as the gateway.

               Concern that there was not much evidence of any speed enforcement by Surrey Police in any local area. 

     

     

    The Committee agreed to discuss the petition with the item 8 report.

     

     

    Petition 2- Sandy Lane/Pendell Road/Big Common Lane/ Little Common Lane

     

    Lead petitioner, Diane Brown presented her petition requesting a review of the junction of Sandy Lane/ Big Common Lane/ Little Common Lane/ Pendell Road.  She thanked the Committee for reducing the speed in 2017. However, stated that the junction was still dangerous due to the restricted visibility, signage and some SatNavs advising drivers that this is a through road rather than a junction.

     

    The Area Highways Manager, thanked the lead petitioner for their attendance.  She advised that this junction is currently on the agenda to be discussed at the next Road Safety Working group in November so a variety of options will be considered.  Officers will work with the petitioner to contact the Satnav companies to ask that this be marked  ...  view the full minutes text for item 29/18

30/18

FORMAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 82 KB

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Tandridge District area in accordance with Standing Order 69. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    One public question had been received.  Mr Edward Woods, made a statement during the petition item.

31/18

MEMBERS QUESTIONS

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.  Notice should be given in writing to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer of formal questions by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    No formal Members questions received.

32/18

DECISION TRACKER (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 250 KB

    This tracker monitors progress against the decisions that the Local Committee has made. It is updated before each committee meeting.

     

    (Report attached)

    Minutes:

    This item was moved to after item 10 on the agenda.

     

     

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Sarah Woodworth, Partnership Committee Officer

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Officer introduced the item explaining that this document monitors progress against decisions that the Local Committee has made.

     

    Member Discussion – Key Points

     

    The following points were raised:

     

    ·         The Square Caterham, Cllr Cooper asked for an update on the roundabout.

    ·         Request for a pedestrian crossing on the Godstone Road, Caterham.  Cllr Cooper asked if it could remain open as the Parish Council were awaiting further detail on costings.  The Officer advised that the request was for a broad figure to base a discussion for joint funding which has been provided.  A detailed and full cost could not be produced without a full feasibility study which would need to be funded.  The Officer will discuss with the Parish.

    ·         Mr Chris Botten, stressed the urgency of implementing Banstead Road crossing as the S106 money is time limited and may not be available. This would have implications for not only residents in Banstead Road but also Rook Lane who may also be able to benefit from this funding.

     

    It was requested that should Members have questions relating to the decision tracker that Officers are advised in advance, in order to be in a position to answer Members questions fully at the meeting. 

     

    The Committee agreed that the items marked as closed would be removed from the tracker as now complete.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

    (i)            Noted the contents of the report

     

    (ii)           Agreed to remove the closed items from the tracker.

     

     

33/18

A25 GODSTONE ROAD, BLETCHINGLEY SPEED LIMIT REVIEW (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION) pdf icon PDF 108 KB

    The speed limit on the A25 Godstone Road in Bletchingley was reduced from 50mph to 30mph in 2012.  Concerns have been expressed by Surrey Police that a section of the 30mph speed limit is not effective.  Therefore, a speed limit assessment has been carried out following the process set out in Surrey’s policy “Setting Local Speed Limits”.   As a result of this assessment it is proposed that the existing 30mph speed limit in a section of Godstone Road and also in the un-named service roads fronting Chevington Villas and Sunnybank Villas, be increased to 40mph. 

     

    This report seeks approval for the changes to the speed limit in accordance with Surrey’s policy.

     

    This item was deferred from Local Committee meeting on 22 June 2018.

     

    (Report and 3 annexes attached)

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Taken after item 6 on the agenda.

     

    Declarations of interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: Petition, public question and statements raised under Item 4.  The chairman permitted district councillor Mr Tony Elias to make a further statement.

     

    The Officer advised of a correction to the date in the papers.  The report had previously been deferred at the meeting held on the 23 September 2016 not the 9 December 2016.

     

    The Area Highways Manager presented the report, thanking all for their comments and information received about this issue and they, have been taken into consideration. The depth of local feeling is understood. The report is brought to the committee in line with the council’s approved policy that aims to set successful local speed limits that are appropriate for the main users of the road (Setting local speed limits policy). This report has been brought before the committee as the speed limit on the section of road is not in accordance with the Surrey Policy- Setting Local Speed Limits. This references national policy issued by central government and nation policy issued by Association of Chief Police Officers. The previous speed limit reduction on this road, from 50mph to 30mph, with supporting engineering measures has been shown to be ineffective.

     

     

    As this is a decision on a Surrey Policy, there are two options in the recommendations for the committee to decide on. The report asks for the committee to agree to increase the speed limit from 30mph to 40mph on the 400m section on the A25, Bletchingley or referred to the Cabinet Member responsible for Road Safety.  The Police have advised that they would support a 40mph speed limit, and would be willing to enforce speeds if it was in accordance with the speed policy. There could be a community speed watch set up, if the speed limit is in line with the Surrey policy. If approved, new yellow-backed, 40mph signs could be installed. The Area Highways Manager advised that average speed cameras can be considered on single carriage roads, where an appropriate speed limit in in place, on this section of road this would be 40mph.

     

    Public statement

     

    Mr Elias’ statement included the following points:

     

               There were errors and omissions in this report, and previous reports to the committee, to such an extent that they invalidate any decisions to be taken by the committee.

               Referred members to the report brought to the committee in 2011 and the reasons given as to why the speed limit was considered appropriate at 30mph, and how it would secure support from Surrey Police.

               The originally agreed supporting engineering measure of the village gateway sign has not been implemented. Therefore it is not appropriate to consult Surrey Police at this point, and not possible to evaluate the success of the scheme. Concern that Surrey Highways were therefore not following the steps in the agreed Setting Local Speed Limits Policy.

               New houses, and changes to the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 33/18

34/18

FARLEIGH ROAD WARLINGHAM PERMISSION FOR REMOVAL OF SPEED CUSHIONS (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION) pdf icon PDF 106 KB

    Traffic calming measures in Farleigh Road, Warlingham between the junctions of the B269 Limpsfield Road and Sunnybank consist of a series of speed cushions and raised tables. Requests have been received for the removal of the existing speed cushions along this section of Farleigh Road, Warlingham to co-ordinate with proposed Severe Weather Resurfacing Works (with the raised tables remaining). 

     

    Speed surveys would need to be undertaken and consultation carried out with the frontagers directly affected by the proposals to remove the existing speed cushion as well as Warlingham Village Primary School, the Police, other emergency services and the County’s Road Safety Team before final approval is given to the removal of the speed cushions on Farleigh Road, Warlingham between the junction of the B269 Limpsfield Road and Sunnybank. 

     

    (Report and annex attached)

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    (i)            APPROVED the removal of the existing speed cushion traffic calming in Farleigh Road between the junctions of B269 Limpsfield Road and Sunnybank, to be carried out when resurfacing works are undertaken in this road as part of the Severe Weather Resurfacing Works, subject to the outcome of consultation results;

     

    (ii)           AUTHORISED delegated authority be given to the Local Committee Chairman, Vice-Chairman and divisional Member,  together with the Area Team Manager, to consider the results of the consultation and make a final decision as to whether to proceed with the removal of the speed cushions;

     

    (iii)          AGREED that the results of the consultation are published.

     

     

    (iv)         NOTED that if speeds and/or road casualties increase following the removal of the existing speed cushions, there is currently no funding available in the foreseeable future to design and reinstate any traffic calming measures in order to reduce vehicle speeds.

     

    Minutes:

    Mr David Lee, left the meeting.

     

     

    Declarations of interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Officer introduced the report, advising that the consultation is for removal of the speed cushions, the speed tables would remain.

     

    Members Discussion- Key points

     

               Members were pleased that Farleigh Road would be resurfaced.

               Concerns were raised that the speed cushions can cause damage to owners’ vehicles.

               Parked cars on some parts of the road slow the traffic down however this is not on all parts of the road.

               Additional recommendation added, requesting that the results of the consultation be published.

               Cllr Simon Morrow proposed, that the residents of Farleigh Road should be consulted and the results from the residents should decide the outcome.  The proposal was seconded by Mr Chris Botten and voted on by the Committee.  The proposed new recommendation was not carried.

               Cllr Simon Morrow proposed that the results of the consultation be published.  This was seconded by Mr Chris Botten and carried by the Committee.

     

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

    (i)         APPROVED the removal of the existing speed cushion traffic calming in Farleigh Road between the junctions of B269 Limpsfield Road and Sunnybank, to be carried out when resurfacing works are undertaken in this road as part of the Severe Weather Resurfacing Works, subject to the outcome of consultation results;

     

    (ii)        AUTHORISED delegated authority be given to the Local Committee Chairman, Vice-Chairman and divisional Member,  together with the Area Team Manager, to consider the results of the consultation and make a final decision as to whether to proceed with the removal of the speed cushions;

     

    (iii)       AGREED that the results of the consultation are published.

     

     

    (iv)       NOTED that if speeds and/or road casualties increase following the removal of the existing speed cushions, there is currently no funding available in the foreseeable future to design and reinstate any traffic calming measures in order to reduce vehicle speeds.

     

35/18

HIGHWAYS SCHEMES UPDATE (INFORMATION - SERVICE MONITORING AND ISSUES OF LOCAL CONCERN) pdf icon PDF 112 KB

    To inform the Local Committee on the progress of the 2018/19 Integrated Transport and highways maintenance programmes in Tandridge.

     

    (Report and 2 annexes attached)

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions and Statements: None

     

    Members Discussion: Key Points

     

    ·         With reference to the Member Local Highways Fund, Cllr Simon Morrow asked if we could move forward with installing new parking bays in Warlingham as the Parish has contributed funding to the scheme. 

    ·         It was advised that should Members wish to use over the £2500 on one scheme from the Local Members fund, approval must be sought from the Cabinet Member.  However, joint funding for schemes from Parishes would aid the request.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge) NOTED the contents of the report.

     

     

36/18

LOCAL COMMITTEE FORWARD PROGRAMME (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 52 KB

    The forward plan will be used in preparation for the next committee meeting, this is a flexible forward plan and all items are subject to change. The Local Committee is asked to note and comment on the forward plan outlined in this report.

     

    (Report attached)

    Minutes:

    The forward plan was noted.