Agenda, decisions and minutes

Tandridge Local Committee
Friday, 20 April 2018 1.30 pm

Venue: Tandridge District Council offices, Station Road East, Oxted, RH8 0BT

Contact: Sarah Woodworth, Partnership Committee Officer  Tandridge District Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey, RH8 0BT

Items
No. Item

1/18

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

2/18

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 217 KB

3/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter:

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    Notes:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    None received.

4/18

CHAIRMAN'S BUSINESS

    The Chairman will update the Committee on any current issues.

    Minutes:

    The Chairman wished to highlight the new quarterly e-newsletter that has been put together by the Community Partnership Team. It included updates on Cabinet decisions which will impact Tandridge and also highlights Local Committee decisions and matters.  The newsletter has been sent to all Parishes and District Members and should anyone have any feedback please contact the Partnership Committee Officer.

5/18

PETITIONS pdf icon PDF 131 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting. Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    One new petition has been received.

     

    Petition 1: Submitted by resident Alice Humphrey calling for ‘A pedestrian crossing on the A22 in Blindley Heath’

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager

     

    The lead petitioner, Alice Humphrey was unable to attend the meeting to present the petition.  The Divisional Member, Rose Thorn spoke of her support of this petition as do many residents in the area of Blindley Heath.  Mrs Thorn raised concerns that 150 people had signed an online petition on change.org but many who she knew as local residents had their addresses logged as other places in the UK or even overseas so initially not included in the count. 

     

    The Area Highways Manager advised that the speeds on the A22 at Blindley Heath are too fast for a zebra crossing. However as stated in the written response, a scheme to provide a signalised pedestrian crossing on the A22 will be added to the Integrated Transport Schemes list for consideration for future funding. However, given current funding levels such a scheme is unlikely to be progressed for many years.

     

    Cllr Cannon raised concerns that although Surrey County Council recognise that a crossing is needed the problem still exists that there is no money to fund the scheme.

     

    The Parish Council advised that the traffic island bollards are no longer there. The Area Highway Manager will arrange for the bollards to be inspected.

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

    i)            NOTED the officer’s response

6/18

FORMAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 29 KB

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Tandridge District area in accordance with Standing Order 69. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Five formal public questions had been received.  The responses were provided in the supplementary papers.

     

    1)    Roundabout at The Square, Caterham, from Caterham Valley Parish Council

     

    Cllr Cherie Callender, Parish Councillor expressed the Parish Council’s disappointment in the response and they would like to have a detailed brief/design to discuss this item at the next Parish Council Meeting.

     

    The Area Highways Manager advised that she would take this forward with the design team. Surrey wish to work together with the Parish on this matter and Officers have spoken with Councillors regarding the roundabout.  As this roundabout is included in the area of the Caterham Master Plan care needs to be taken to ensure the right solution is found so that it provides good value for money.

     

    The Divisional Member, David Lee advised he was also disappointed with the time that this has taken to resolve. 

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee NOTED the response.

     

    2)    Request for a crossing on the A22 Godstone Road, Whyteleafe, from Mr Jeffrey Gray.

     

    Mr Gray thanked Officers for the response and asked how Surrey prioritised schemes.

     

    The Area Highways Manager advised that it was based on a system called CASEE.  (Congestion, Accident, Safety, Environment and Economic) that is a guide for Members to decide. With regards to this particular road there is no safe place for a crossing to be installed due to driveways and sight lines. 

     

    In general, the cost for a zebra crossing is between £20,000 to £50,000 and the capital budget for the Local Committee for the year is £36,000 so crossings would exceed the total budget.  Although works on the Highway are not included in the criteria for CIL at District, it could meet the criteria for the Parish for neighbourhood CIL.  The Parish Councils could also make a contribution to top up funds.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee NOTED the response.

     

     

    3)    Part Night street lights, from Annette Evans.

     

    Mrs Evans asked what processes are in place to take advantage of local funds from parishes?

     

    Cabinet Member Colin Kemp advised that there were concerns when considering if Parishes could pay to keep the lights on all night and it was felt that there could be a gap between smaller areas.  It was decided District or Borough’s could pay for the whole area.  Surrey County Council are working with the police and will switch lights on when and where they have requested.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee NOTED the response.

     

     

    4)    Lay-by on A25 Nutfield outside cemetery, from Nutfield Parish Council     

     

    Cllr Stephen Hall thanked the Committee for their response and would like to accept the offer of a meeting with an officer at Highways, and also to improve the road markings in the lay-by.  It was asked if anything could be done to stop HGV’s using the lay-by. The Area Highways Manager advised that, she is happy for an officer to attend the site with the Parish Council, however Surrey cannot prevent HGV’s using the layby, but traffic orders could be  ...  view the full minutes text for item 6/18

7/18

MEMBERS QUESTIONS

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.  Notice should be given in writing to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer of formal questions by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    No formal Member questions received.

8/18

DECISION TRACKER (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 242 KB

    This item provides an update on previous decisions and actions agreed by the Committee.  The Committee is asked to agree that the items marked as closed are removed from the tracker.

     

    (Report attached)

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Sarah Woodworth, Partnership Committee Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Question, Statements: None

     

    The Chairman introduced the item explaining that this would be a public document that would monitor progress against the decisions that the Local Committee has made.

     

    Members Discussion – Key Points

     

    Chalkpit Quarry

     

    1)    The Chairman advised the Committee had received a response following the Committee’s letter to the Secretary of State, the response from Therese Coffey MP was disappointing.

    2)    Mr Cameron McIntosh advised he was equally disappointed with the response from the Secretary of State. He advised that he had recently met with the MP for East Surrey and the Chairman of Surrey’s Planning and Regulatory Committee to which he found of no benefit and expressed frustration at lack of progress on this matter.  Mr McIntosh also expressed concern that the Committee needs support from the local MP to lobby the Government to make changes to the ROMP legislation and this was not fully understood by the MP.

    3)    Cllr Fisher, shared Mr McIntosh’s comments and he has been campaigning on this matter since 2007.  He had been frustrated that there had been no consultation from the Environment Agency on doubling the tonnage and now this is in place and cannot be over turned.   Cllr Fisher expressed great concern over the lack of joined up working with regards to the increase in HGV vehicles being allowed to and from the quarry, yet complete lack of consideration for Oxted residents. Once the lorry leaves the quarry and travelling on the road it becomes a highway matter for Surrey County Council to deal with. The current legislation allows for Southern Gravel Ltd to contest any restrictions put in place, siting it would affect their business however no consideration is given to local residents or the cost to Highways.  The Local Committee and residents need the support of the MP to lobby for a change to this.

     

     

    The Committee requested that the On Street Parking Enforcement report remained on the tracker as will be discussed at the June meeting.  The road safety outside of Burstow School and information on riparian ownership be logged as closed and would be removed from the tracker.

     

    Resolution

     

    i)              The Local Committee (Tandridge) NOTED the contents of the report.

      

     

     

     

9/18

COLIN KEMP - HIGHWAY MEMBER FOR HIGHWAYS - UPDATE pdf icon PDF 472 KB

    Colin Kemp, the Cabinet Member for Highways will provide an update on current highway matters.

     

    (Report and 4 annexes attached)

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Cabinet Member in attendance: Surrey County Council Cabinet Member for Highways, Cllr Colin Kemp

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: Parish Council Representatives in attendance for this item

     

    The Cabinet Member, highlighted key areas in the report. 

     

    1)    This was a follow up meeting. Colin Kemp had with Local Committee Members in November to update on the overall highways programme for the Tandridge area. This was to discuss the process for identifying the schemes for the 2018/19 future programmes and to start discussions on individual roads.

    2)    This year has seen a huge rise in the number of pot holes that have been reported and need to be repaired. In the previous two years, February and March have had on average 3500 and 3800 pot holes respectively. In 2018 February saw 6500 pot holes being reported and March 8300 potholes across Surrey.  There is also a large amount of structural damage to the roads.  Resources have been increased with the number of crews carrying out repairing pot holes in April from 8 crews to 27 crews to repair the roads as quickly as possible. The County is trying to manage risk so carrying out repairs to priory 1 and 2’s first to make it safe rather than carry out all potholes in a road as they may only be a priority 3.  As Government funding is allocated on length of road rather than usage, it is essential that risk is managed with the resources available. 

    3)    It was understood that there was not enough funding to do everything that members and residents wanted to do, but that the increased local committee funding, and the additional £5million to help address the impacts of the cold weather was helpful.  The Cabinet was keen to ensure that some of the increase in residents Council Tax was given back to the Local Committee to spend in their area.

    4)    In addition, local county councillors were being given £7,500 to spend on local highways items to empower them to support local residents. The criteria for this was currently being finalised and would be with members as soon as possible, with a menu of prices for different types of highways items.

     

    Parish Council representatives had been invited to raise questions with the Cabinet Member on this item, the following were the key points:

     

    1)    A representative from Chaldon Village Council advised they had spoken to the contractor and they find it frustrating that they are unable to fill in all the potholes in the same area.  The Cabinet Member advised that the way the contractor manages risk is their operational decision, but would note and take away with him.

     

    2)    A representative from Caterham on the Hill Parish Council is keen that Parishes work with the County. He raised concerns regarding illegal banners that are being put up in the Parish.  Cllr Orrick advised that the Parish has a warden that could assist in removing such banners rather than wait for a Highways  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9/18

10/18

HIGHWAYS SCHEMES UPDATE REPORT (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 193 KB

    To inform the Local Committee on the outcome of the 2017/18 Integrated Transport Scheme (ITS) and highway maintenance programmes in Tandridge.

     

    (Report and 1 annex attached)

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    David Lee left the meeting

     

     

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Members discussions – Key points

     

    1)    Cllr Maureen Young referred to item 2.10 of the report  which referenced a junction improvement for High Street/Plough Road/Dormans Road/Hollow Lane and asked as CIL funding was not available to this project when would it take place.  The Area Highways Manager advised that although the design has been completed the funds are not available in the capital budget, it is likely to remain on the list for some time until funding becomes available.

    2)    Cllr Simon Morrow asked if it would be possible for the Members to see what schemes are noted on the Integrated Transport Schemes list.  The Area Highways Manager advised this would be available to Members shortly. 

    3)    It was asked if the Community Gang could carry out patching.  It was advised that they are not able to carry out this task, but they can carry out minor maintenance work such as cutting back hedges and vegetation and siding out verges.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge) NOTED the contents of the report.

     

    Reason for recommendation

     

    To update the Local Committee on the outcome of the 2017/18 highway works programme in Tandridge.

11/18

HIGHWAYS FORWARD PROGRAMME 2018/19- REVENUE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 101 KB

    The budget for 2018/19 was approved by full Council on 6 February 2018.  Whilst the capital budget remained unchanged, an increase in the revenue allocation to Local Committees was agreed and a member Local Highways Fund introduced.

     

    This report seeks approval of a revised allocation of the revenue maintenance budget and how works funded from the revenue budget will be delivered on members’ behalf.

     

    (Report attached)

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Tandridge) resolved to:

     

    (i)            Approve the revised allocation of the Local Committee’s devolved revenue maintenance budget as set out in para. 2.2 of this report;

     

    (ii)           Note the Members Local Highways Fund as detailed in para. 2.7 and 2.8 of this report; and

     

    (iii)          Agree that the revenue maintenance budget and the Members Local Highways Fund be managed by the Tandridge Maintenance Engineer on members’ behalf.

     

     

    Reason for recommendation:

    To agree the allocation of the Tandridge Local Committee’s devolved revenue maintenance budget and how works are going to be managed on Members’ behalf. 

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge) resolved to:

     

    (i)            Approve the revised allocation of the Local Committee’s devolved revenue maintenance budget as set out in para. 2.2 of this report;

     

    (ii)           Note the Members Local Highways Fund as detailed in para. 2.7 and 2.8 of this report; and

     

    (iii)          Agree that the revenue maintenance budget and the Members Local Highways Fund be managed by the Tandridge Maintenance Engineer on members’ behalf.

     

     

    Reason for recommendation:

     

    To agree the allocation of the Tandridge Local Committee’s devolved revenue maintenance budget and how works are going to be managed on Members’ behalf. 

12/18

EARLY HELP PRIORITIES FOR TANDRIDGE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 398 KB

    This report provides local Members with an update on the new model that Surrey County Council and partners have been developing for early help for the county overall and how this is progressing locally in Tandridge.

     

     

    (Report and 2 annexes attached)

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Tandridge) is agreed to:

     

    (i)            Provide feedback on the latest early help developments in Tandridge, including proposed early help priorities for re-commissioning and the location of Local Family Partnerships

     

    (ii)           Endorse MRS ROSE THORN and MR CHRIS BOTTEN to the local Early Help Advisory Board, for the remainder of 2017/18 and 2018/19

     

     

    Reason for recommendation

     

    We want Local Members to be informed about the proposals that we have been developing in partnership for the early help system in Surrey. We believe these proposals will help us realise better outcomes for children and young people within the early help resources we have available. We also know however that early help is most effective when it is planned and delivered locally, so we are seeking the advice of the Local Committee to inform our identified local priorities.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Jan Smith, Family Services Manager

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Family Services Manager highlighted key areas of the report.  He advised there had been some changes to the timeframes since the report was published.  This included a change to the Early Help commissioning process will be held at the same time as the Children’s Centre consultation which will be June – September 2018.  The report for approval will go to Cabinet in November for the new contracts to start in September 2019. 

     

    The Early Help Advisory Board has met three times this year, and the decision has been taken in the group to have two separate meetings focusing on the north of the M25 and the south of M25 rather than whole District meetings, this is to ensure resources are being used effectively.

     

     

    Members discussion – key points

     

    1)    It was asked if there was a similar ‘Early Help’ intervention for adults.  The Family Services Manager advised that there is no similar service for adults. 

    2)    A question was raised regarding the current waiting times for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).  It was advised although not in the remit of Early Help the current waiting times are 1 week for the acute need up to 5 months.  The family support services are currently looking at helping provide support to those dealing with an autistic spectrum disorder. 

    3)    Mrs Rose Thorn said that as Chairman of the Early Help Advisory Board she see’s first-hand the support that is available and the difference that it can make to a young person’s life.  The Family Services Manager advised that he would like to introduce a mentoring programme in Tandridge in the future and would be looking at ways to implement this locally.

    4)    Members raised concerns that pupils in Tandridge had a lowest educational achievement level for key stage 5  compared with other Districts and Boroughs in Surrey.  The Family Support Manager advised that a contributing factor in this is the rural nature of Tandridge and its services that are provided in the District as young people are not able to access the services due to location and travel availability.  Tandridge has the same level of at risk young people as in Reigate and Banstead however not the same support services as Reigate and Banstead which puts Tandridge at a disadvantage.

    5)    The Family Services Manager stated that he would like to come back to the Committee on a regular basis to inform the Committee on the work of his team and for the opportunity for Members to feed into the work of the Early Help Advisory Board.

     

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge) is agreed to:

     

    (i)            Provide feedback on the latest early help developments in Tandridge, including proposed early help priorities for re-commissioning and the location of Local Family Partnerships

     

    (ii)           Endorse MRS ROSE THORN and MR CHRIS BOTTEN to the local Early Help Advisory Board, for the remainder of 2017/18  ...  view the full minutes text for item 12/18