Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Tandridge Local Committee
Friday, 6 March 2020 10.15 am

Venue: Tandridge District Council offices, Station Road East, Oxted, RH8 0BT

Contact: Sarah Woodworth, Partnership Committee Officer  Tandridge District Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey, RH8 0BT

Link: Click here for webcast

Items
No. Item

OPEN FORUM pdf icon PDF 28 KB

The questions and responses from the open forum session are included as Annex A to these minutes.

51/19

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

52/19

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 93 KB

53/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter:

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)          Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    Notes:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    None declared.

CHAIRMAN ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chairman, wished to make the following announcements;

 

Youth Work Consultation - The public consultation on whether Surrey County Council delivers universal open access youth work and to enable the voluntary, community and faith sector to use the youth centres at little or no cost closes on 30 April.  Please go online to Surreysays.co.uk to have your say.

 

Members Community Allocation – The fund has now closed for 2019/20. In Tandridge 100% of the funds were committed and allocated to local projects across the District.

 

Members Highways Fund – All money for 2019/20 has been committed and spent

 

Rural Gigabit voucher scheme – Members should all recently have received an email in relation to the Rural Gigabit Voucher Scheme. These vouchers can be applied for by residents in rural designated postcodes. Groups of two or more residential properties or small/medium businesses (SMEs) in Defra designated rural postcodes could be entitled to vouchers to upgrade their broadband to full fibre. It is estimated that approximately 10,000 residents and businesses could be eligible for these vouchers in Tandridge. Can I urge members to spread the word to residents and businesses who this may be suitable for and encourage them to apply? Katie Brennan, at SCC will be attending the Parish Assembly on the 18th March but is also very happy to speak to anyone who would like to know more.

 

 

54/19

PETITIONS pdf icon PDF 73 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting. Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

     

    Petition 1 – Petition received from Diane Brown regarding Road Safety on  Pendell Road, Bletchingley.

     

    Petition 2 – Petition received from Davina Matlock regarding road safety on Godstone Road, Whyteleafe.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    Petition 1

     

    The Local Committee is asked to:

     

    (i)         AGREED that the road safety engineering team will meet with the resident/petitioners on site to help understand the extent and nature of the problem. Following investigation a highway safety scheme will be developed for implementation within the next financial year. This will be funded from the council’s central budget for addressing collision hotspots managed by the road safety engineering team.

    Minutes:

    Petition 1

     

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager

     

    The lead petitioner Diane Brown presented the petition. She thanked Officers for the response and welcomed a meeting with Officers on site. The owner of the dog grooming business, Linda Barker was also in attendance and offered to show the Committee in excess of 250 photographs of cars which had had an accident on the section of road outside of her property. In 12 months, 16 cars have driven into her fence. 

     

    It was asked why only one serious accident at the site had been recorded as emergency services often attend on a regular basis, yet these do not seem to be logged.

     

    The Area Highway Manager, responded on behalf of the Road Safety Team.  She  thank Mrs Brown and Mrs Barker for their petition and appreciated it is often distressing to see an accident outside of your property.  In terms of the logging of an accident, whilst the emergency services maybe called, it is only logged as a personal injury should treatment of the driver, passengers or pedestrian be required, otherwise it is categorised as damage only. 

     

     

    Member discussion – key points:

    ·         Concern was raised that accidents were serious enough to require the emergency services, which uses public funding, however these are not recorded. In failing to record them, it does not allow the issue to be highlighted to the Road Safety Team.

     

    The Area Highways Manager explained that the system is used to address personal injury first.  Repeated instances of damage only and anecdotal information from residents is taken into consideration, and considered by the Road Safety Team as in this instance.

     

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee:

     

    (i)            AGREED that the road safety engineering team will meet with the resident/petitioners on site to help understand the extent and nature of the problem. Following investigation a highway safety scheme will be developed for implementation within the next financial year. This will be funded from the council’s central budget for addressing collision hotspots managed by the road safety engineering team.

     

     

    Petition 2

     

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager

     

    The lead petitioner, Davina Matlock was unable to attend the meeting.  The Divisional Member for Caterham Valley, read her statement to the Committee advising members that the petition was prompted following a fatality on Godstone Road in January.

     

    Mrs Matlock stated that she and many other parents in the Whyteleafe Community felt unsafe crossing Godstone Road.  In the past 6 months, residents have witnessed lorries mounting the pavement to get past another lorry on the other side of the road and quad bikes using this road as speedway, a death and people parking on the pavements indiscriminately.  Outside 331 Godstone Road the road narrows and the pathway extremely and causes zero visibility for drivers.

     

    She felt there needed to be a change to the roads around the Whyteleafe Community area.  A zebra crossing/further traffic light is required between Whyteleafe parade of shops and Whyteleafe  ...  view the full minutes text for item 54/19

55/19

FORMAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 305 KB

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Tandridge District area in accordance with Standing Order 69. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers Attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager, SCC

     

    Petitions, Public Questions and Statements: The questions and officer response were published within the supplementary agenda.

     

    A total of five public questions were received. 

     

    Question 1 from Whyteleafe Village Council, a supplementary question was asked.

     

    ‘The Village Council does not want to see the removal of any Vehicle Activated Signs (VAS). We welcome the commitment by SCC to install a working replacement near to Hillside Road in the next Financial Year and would like this to happen promptly. In respect of the VAS on Whyteleafe Hill, we wish to work together with SCC and our County Councillor to explore ways in which a mains operated replacement can be funded. So, can we have an assurance from SCC that they are happy to work with us on this?

     

    We would also welcome discussions with Highways Officers about the relocation of the two camera signs to more appropriate positions on the Godstone Road in an attempt to slow traffic.’

     

    The Area Highway Manager responded stating that, Officers would be pleased to work with the village council to fund and implement replacement vehicle activated signs for the two that are beyond economic repair. The good news is that both are very close to existing lamp columns upon which replacement signs could be mounted. Alternatively different lamp columns could be chosen if they provide a better location.

     

    We would also be pleased to work with the village council on repositioning the camera warning signs to deter speeding on the approaches to enforcement locations.

     

    Question 2 from Nutfield Parish Council, a supplementary question was asked for parts a) and c).

     

    a)    The road dips by at the verge side by 0.75m, two vehicles have been damage.  Is there anything that can be done?

     

    The Area Highways Manager, advised that where there is a dip over a large area, although it may be considered a highway defect and not how SCC would like, it is not a safety defect. All SCC Members have their own member highways funding to use on the Highway, the Divisional Member for Godstone has indicted that she would be happy to use her funding on this issue and officers are looking to progress this in the next financial year.

     

    c)    Regarding King Cross Lane, the Parish Council were disappointed to see that the road is not considered a priority, as the Parish had previously received notification that the road would be resurfaced. It was asked when this will happen?

     

    The Area Highways Manager advised that there may have been a misunderstanding, as the road did close but for patch repair through the Severe Weather Repair programme and not closed for whole road resurfacing. The Network and Asset Management Team have advised that the Road is currently not on the prioritisation list for resurfacing.

     

    Questions 3, 4 and 5 received from District Councillor Alun Jones.  Cllr Jones was not in attendance, and Mr David Lee spoke on his behalf.

     

    Question  ...  view the full minutes text for item 55/19

56/19

MEMBERS QUESTIONS

57/19

DECISION TRACKER (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 277 KB

    This tracker monitors progress against the decisions that the Local Committee has made. It is updated before each committee meeting.

    Minutes:

    Item 7 taken after Item 10.

     

    The Chairman introduced the item explaining that this document monitors the progress against the decisions that the local committee has made.

     

    No Member comments made.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

    (i)            NOTED the contents.

     

    (ii)           AGREED to remove the closed items from the tracker.

58/19

CABINET MEMBER FOR HIGHWAYS UPDATE (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 95 KB

     

    SCC Cabinet Members provide a briefing on their portfolios to council meetings. The Cabinet Member for Highways and Transport briefings will be provided for the local and joint committees for consideration and comment.

     

    (Report and Annex attached)

    Minutes:

    The Chairman introduced the item as a new standing item for all local committee meetings going forward and is for information only. The report covers the most recent statements given by the SCC Cabinet Member for Highways to council.  The Chairman welcomed questions from Members which would be collated and passed to the Cabinet Member for a response.

     

    Members comments;

     

    1)    It was asked, as the LED street lights will save SCC money compared with the current street lights, will the council be reviewing the part night street lighting policy once the programme has been rolled out across all Districts and Boroughs?

     

    Whilst not all members of the committee were supportive of returning to lighting after 1am for environmental reasons, it was felt it would be helpful to understand if a review would be taking place and if lights on after 1am would be considered by the Cabinet Member in the future.

     

    2)    Members sought clarification for the extra £92m for Highway Maintenance. It was asked how this extra funding would be used?  Would only the major roads and main roads be considered for investment? Members raised particular concerns on the underinvestment of many of the side roads in Tandridge, with these residential roads being in desperate need of attention.  How will the Cabinet Member ensure these roads are in a sound state of repair? Many of the side roads do not score highly on the criteria for Horizon 2, of being near a school or shops etc and therefore low on the priority list for investment, yet the Member allowance is not enough to fund works that are needed.

     

     

    3)    Cllr Morrow, regarding the town centre agreement report which went to Cabinet in July. He wished to make everyone aware of the Warlingham Green Improvement scheme, which residents have been voting on.  Whilst Warlingham is not a town centre, it is a large village, who have put together a well-developed plan to improve the Green and shop area.  He asked all at Surrey County Council to be supportive of this scheme, which is what the residents of Warlingham would like. 

59/19

HIGHWAYS UPDATE- END OF YEAR REPORT (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 139 KB

    To inform the Local Committee on the outcome of the 2019/20 Integrated Transport Scheme (ITS) and highway maintenance programmes in Tandridge as well as other highway works being carried out by teams across Surrey County Council.

     

    Recommendation to install a bus stop clearway at two different locations, one in Salmons Lane, Caterham and one in Limpsfield Road, Warlingham.

     

    (Report and 5 Annexes attached)

     

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Tandridge);

     

                          i.        NOTED the contents of this report.

     

                         ii.        AGREED to the installation of a bus stop clearway in Salmons Lane, Caterham just prior to property number 150 Salmons Lane, operating from 07:00am to 19:00pm Monday to Saturday. This will include a 23m bus cage with appropriate road marking (further information is available in Annex 4). 

     

                        iii.        AGREED to the installation of a bus stop clearway in Limpsfield Road, Warlingham opposite Greenacres Lodge residential home, operating 24 hours a day Monday to Sunday. This will include a 23m bus cage, with appropriate road markings (further information is available in Annex 5).

    Minutes:

    Declaration of Interest: None

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Officer in Attendance: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager (South East)

     

    The Officer introduced the report, drawing members attention to the increase in the Capital Maintenance allocation for each County Councillor since the previous committee report on 6 December 2019.  The new figure for capital maintenance per divisional member is £29,500. 

     

    The committee are also asked to agree to the recommendation of installing a bus clear way at two separate locations in the district.

     

    Members Discussion- Key Points

     

    The following points were raised:

     

    1.    Members were fully supportive of the recommendation for the bus clearways.

     

    2.    Councillor Morrow wished to thank Highway Officers and Divisional Member Becky Rush for the installation of two halos at the pedestrian crossing on Warlingham Green and the excellent resurfacing on Farleigh road, Warlingham.

     

    3.    It was asked if the new capital maintenance amount would be enough to resurface Shelton Ave, Warlingham?  The Divisional Member responded that she had discussed with Highways officers and Shelton Ave would need to be on a scheme, as the cost would exceed the divisional member allowance.  She is working with the Maintenance Engineer to spend her allocation in the best way for the division.

     

    4.    It was asked on the programme timeline for ITS schemes?

     

    The Area Highways Manager advised that officers undertake a prioritisation assessment for all schemes on the ITS list during the autumn, taking into account the assumed funding for the next two financial years, this includes both design and construction.  This is agreed with members at the Local Committee meeting in the December, and the works agreed are completed by the end of the next financial year.   Should following SCC’s full council meeting, the budget for the local committee change, which has an impact on the agreed work for schemes on the ITS list, a new report is brought to the Local Committee.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge);

     

                          i.        NOTED the contents of this report.

     

                         ii.        AGREED to the installation of a bus stop clearway in Salmons Lane, Caterham just prior to property number 150 Salmons Lane, operating from 07:00am to 19:00pm Monday to Saturday. This will include a 23m bus cage with appropriate road marking (further information is available in Annex 4). 

     

                        iii.        AGREED to the installation of a bus stop clearway in Limpsfield Road, Warlingham opposite Greenacres Lodge residential home, operating 24 hours a day Monday to Sunday. This will include a 23m bus cage, with appropriate road markings (further information is available in Annex 5).

     

     

    Reason

     

    The Local Committee agreed to a bus stop clearway at Salmons Lane Green and at Church Road. Limpsfield Road Warlingham as it is important that buses are able to access stops to provide step free access and ensure passengers are able to safely board and alight, especially those with mobility issues, wheelchair users and those with push chairs.

60/19

TANDRIDGE ON STREET PARKING REVIEW (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 82 KB

    To progress the 2020 parking review the committee is asked to approve the formal advertising and statutory consultation for changes to on-street parking restrictions.

     

    (Report and 3 Annexes attached)

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

    (i)            AGREED the changes to parking and waiting restrictions contained in Annexes 1 and 2 should be introduced.

     

    (ii)           AGREED if necessary, minor adjustments can be made to the proposed changes by the parking strategy and implementation team manager in consultation with the chairman/vice-chairman and local divisional member prior to formal advertisement and statutory consultation.

     

    (iii)          AGREED the intention of the county council to make traffic regulation orders (TROs) under the relevant parts of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 to impose the waiting and on street parking restrictions in Tandridge as shown in the annexes (and as subsequently modified by ii) is advertised and that if no objections are maintained, the order is made.

     

    (iv)         AGREED if there are unresolved objections, they will be dealt with in accordance with the county council’s scheme of delegation by the parking strategy and implementation team manager, in consultation with the chairman/vice chairman of this committee and the appropriate county councillor.

     

    (v)          AGREED if necessary the parking team manager will report the objections back to the local committee for resolution.

     

     

     

    Minutes:

    Item 10 taken after Item 11.

     

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Officer in attendance: Rikki Hill, Parking Team Leader

     

    The Officer introduced the report. 

     

    Verbal correction made, Granville Road should state Limpsfield not Oxted in Annex 1.

     

    Members Discussion- Key Points

     

    The following points were raised:

     

    1.    Members requested confirmation on the expected timeframe for this parking review, including the start of the consultations process and estimated completion?

     

    The Officer advised that if agreed in principle by the committee, the process for applying for Traffic Regulation Orders would begin and the consultation would start in late April/May.  It was his intention to have works completed by the autumn in case of a wet autumn/winter like in 2019, which delayed the lining works.

     

    2.    It was asked if Parish Councils would be included in the consultation process.

     

    The Officer confirmed that Parish Councils are a statutory consultees, so would be contacted as part of the process.

     

    3.    Clarification was sought on the drawing for Lime Grove, Warlingham (map 31).  The member felt that the line was too long opposite Cedar Close as taking away valuable parking spaces for the residents who need the on street parking.  Would it be possible to shorten to outside property numbers 11 and 12?

     

    The Officer advised that the request had originated from Tandridge District Council, who require space for the rubbish collection vehicles to turn.  All the properties along that section of the road would be contacted to comment on the proposal. As it is agreed by the committee, it is easier to make modifications to shorten the line, rather than extend at a later date.

     

    4.    It was mentioned that a meeting to discuss commuter parking across the district took place the previous week.  The purpose of the meeting was to look at options to ease commuter parking for local residents.  The ward member for Oxted South advised that the Parking Strategy and Implementation Manager had agreed to undertake a review as to what options would be available in Hurst Green.

     

    5.    It was asked what the purpose of reducing the spaces on Church Road, Caterham (Map 5) would be, as there is a football ground close by and parking is often required.  It was suggested that the section be reviewed as perhaps the current lines are in the wrong place, as we do not wish to move parking further along.

     

    The Divisional Member advised that the request came from the residents in the houses as they have issues entering and exiting their driveways, even with vehicles currently legally park on the road.

     

    The Officer thanked the member for his comments and would take into consideration his suggestion.

     

     

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

    (i)            AGREED the changes to parking and waiting restrictions contained in Annexes 1 and 2 should be introduced.

     

    (ii)           AGREED if necessary, minor adjustments can be made to the proposed changes by the parking strategy and implementation team manager in consultation with the chairman/vice-chairman and local divisional  ...  view the full minutes text for item 60/19

61/19

INTRODUCTION TO SEVENOAKS DISTRICT COUNCIL PARKING ENFORCEMENT (AGENDA ITEM)

    Verbal introduction to the Sevenoaks District Council, Parking Enforcement Manager and opportunity for Members to ask questions regarding Parking Enforcement.

     

    (No report)

    Minutes:

    Item taken after Item 6 on the agenda.

     

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Officer in attendance: Nikki Tagg, Projects Specialist, Tandridge District Council (TDC) and John Strachan, Parking Services Manager, Sevenoaks District Council (SDC)

     

    The Tandridge Officer advised the Local Committee that, subject to the final contract being signed, from 1st April 2020, Sevenoaks District Council will be contracted to carry out on street parking enforcement in the Tandridge District, on behalf of Tandridge District Council. The new contract with Sevenoaks DC will allow for parking enforcement to be carried out Monday to Saturday with Sunday on an ad hoc basis when required.  Tandridge DC will have access to information, receive monthly updates and will have the ability to request responsive enforcement visits when necessary. Sevenoaks DC and Tandridge DC will provide the Local Committee with regular updates, Key Performance Indictors and trends relating to the service.

     

    The Parking Services Manager, informed the Local Committee of the work carried out by the Sevenoaks Parking Team.  The two parking officers, from the incumbent (Reigate and Banstead Borough Council)  will be absorbed within his team, with two members of the team working in the Tandridge District each day.  The role of an Enforcement Officer includes ensuring that vehicles are parked legally, not causing an obstruction, having a presence outside of schools for safety and supporting commercial areas to help with churn. 

     

    Member Discussion – Key Points

     

    1)         The Chairman thanked the Sevenoaks Parking Manager for attending the meeting and welcomed the new contract to provide regular parking enforcement in the District.

     

    2)         Warlingham Parish Council have been budgeting to fund an extra presence in the village to enforce parking restrictions.  It was asked if a site meeting could be arranged with the officer to explain the issues in greater detail? 

     

    The Parking Manager advised that it may be helpful to review the request to fund of additional enforcement in Warlingham until a few months after the contract has started. Residents, businesses and the Parish Council may notice the change in parking in the village as tickets are issued from the 1 April, which may resolve the matter.   However, happy to discuss further if necessary.

     

    3)         It was asked if two Enforcement Officers would be enough to cover the whole of Tandridge?

     

    The Parking Manager advised that in Sevenoaks, the enforcement officers are cost neutral. The contract with TDC is a commercial bid and currently for one year. For this year, two enforcement officers from his team will be deployed each day. There is the potential to increase this, however Sevenoaks District Council would need assurances that the contract would be extended beyond one year, due to cost of an additional vehicle and the equipment would be required. Additional officers could cover the Tandridge area on an ad hoc basis during the first year if deemed necessary to do so.

     

    Clarification was provided that TDC do not receive money from SCC to provide on street parking enforcement.  TDC will  ...  view the full minutes text for item 61/19

62/19

LOCAL COMMITTEE FORWARD PROGRAMME (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 49 KB

    The Committee is asked to note the forward plan for the Committee and propose any items which they would like to see added.

     

    (Forward Plan attached)

     

    Minutes:

    Members of the Committee were invited to suggest additional topics for consideration at future committee meetings.

     

    No suggestions were made.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

    (i)            NOTED the forward plan.