Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Waverley Local Committee - Friday, 11 March 2022 10.00 am

Venue: Council Chamber, Waverley Borough Council offices, The Burys, Godalming, Surrey GU7 1HR

Contact: Nikkie Thornton-Bryar, Partnership Committee Officer 

Items
No. Item

24/21

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

    • Share this item

    To receive any apologies for absence.

    Minutes:

    Apologies were received from Cllrs Christine Baker, John Neal and Trevor Sadler.

25/21

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 218 KB

    • Share this item

    To approve the minutes of the previous meeting held on 12 Nov 2021 as a correct record.

    Minutes:

    The minutes of the last meeting were approved.

26/21

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    • Share this item

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest

    ·         As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

    Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial

    Minutes:

    There were no declarations of interest made.

27/21

LOCAL POLICING - SHORT PRESENTATION

    • Share this item

    The Committee will hear from Borough Commander Sam Adcock who will give a short presentation on Local Policing.

    Minutes:

    Borough Inspector Sam Adcock was welcomed to the Committee and gave a short presentation on local policing.  Councillors thanked the Inspector for attending and engaging with them and stated that they found the regular newsletters interesting and informative.

28/21

PETITIONS & PETITION RESPONSES pdf icon PDF 196 KB

    • Share this item

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68.  Notice must be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting.  Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    One petition has been received from Witley Parish Council regarding speed limits on Brook Road and Sandhills.

     

    The petition states :- We the undersigned petition Surrey County Council to Introduce a 20 is Plenty Scheme along the section of Brook Road which abuts King Edwards School and to consider a reduction in the speed limit in Sandhills from 40mph to 30mph.

     

    A petition response is attached.

     

    Decision:

    The Local Committee agreed to:

     

    (i)            Note the report and officer’s comments

    (ii)           Note the potential cost of a scheme in this area

    (iii)          Note that this is one of a number of schemes for the division and will need to be considered in priority order.

     

     

     

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None.

     

    Officer in attendance: Adrian Selby (Traffic Engineer), Patrick Giles (Local Engagement Officer, Waverley and Guildford) and Zena Curry (Stakeholder Engagement Manager) from the Highways Team.

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: One petition as detailed.

     

    The Highways Officer outlined the petition and the petition response that had been prepared.  The Committee also welcomed the Stakeholder Engagement Manager and Local Engagement Officer to the meeting.  The Stakeholder Engagement Manager outlined the new structure and the roles that they undertook within the team.  The Engagement team would be working closely with County Members, Community Leaders and residents to help resolve issues. 

     

    Witley Parish Council were not able to be present, but the local County Councillor asked that the speed limit reduction proposal be added to the priority list for his division.  He also clarified that this could not be considered for Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) funding.

     

    Members asked about the policy for speed reduction and road safety outside schools and it was outlined that these needed to be looked at on an individual basis, together with the School travel plan, to find the correct solution.  An additional budget of £3 million (over 3 years) had been allocated for this and priorities were being worked up, using accident data (see crashmap.co.uk) and local knowledge.  Mode Shift Stars, a national online tool was available to assist schools with travel plans.

     

    The Local Committee agreed to:

     

    (i)            Note the report and officer’s comments

    (ii)           Note the potential cost of a scheme in this area

    (iii)          Note that this is one of a number of schemes for the division and will need to be considered in priority order.

     

     

     

     

29/21

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS

    • Share this item

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Waverley Borough area in accordance with Standing Order 69.  Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting (4 Mar).

     

    Minutes:

    There were no written public questions.

30/21

WRITTEN MEMBER QUESTIONS

    • Share this item

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.  The deadline for members’ questions is 12 noon four working days before the meeting (4 Mar).  Notice should be given by email to the Partnership Committee Officer.

     

    Minutes:

    There were no written member questions.

31/21

DRAFT HIGHWAYS FORWARD PROGRAMME 2022/23 pdf icon PDF 242 KB

    • Share this item

    This report seeks approval of a programme of highway works for Waverley funded from the Local Committee’s delegated capital and revenue budgets.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Waverley) agreed to:

     

    General

    (i)    Note that, the Local Committee’s devolved highways budget for capital works in 2022/23 is £755,551 as agreed by Cabinet on 22nd February 2022.

     

    (ii)   Agree that, the devolved capital budget for highway works be used to progress both capital improvement schemes and member capital allocation as detailed in section 1.

     

    (iii)   Authorise that the Highway Engagement & Commissioning Manager in consultation with county members be able to reallocate the budget should there be a need to change the programme. 

     

    (iv) Authorise that the Highways Engagement and Commissioning Manager in consultation with county members, be able to allocate any additional funding for schemes, in accordance with any guidance issued surrounding that funding.

     

     

    Capital Improvement Schemes

    (v)   Agree that, the capital improvement schemes allocation (Major Integrated Transport Schemes) for Waverley be used for the 3 ITS projects listed in Annex 1, with any remainder split equally between the divisional members.

     

    (vi)  Authorise that the Highways Engagement and Commissioning Manager be able to vire money between the agreed schemes if required.

     

    (vii) Agree that Highways Engagement and Commissioning Manager, in line with the Scheme of Delegation, is able to progress any scheme from the Major Integrated Transport Schemes programme, including consultation and statutory advertisement that may be required under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, for completion of those schemes.  Where it is agreed that a scheme will not be progressed, this will be reported back to the appropriate county member.

     

    Member Capital Allocation

    (viii) Note that, £50,000 is allocated to each divisional member. Up to £15,000 of this could be allocated to minor ITS, or all £50,000 could be used on capital maintenance (recommended option). The schemes are to be proposed by county members in consultation with the Stakeholder Engagement Officer.

     

    Revenue Maintenance

    (ix)  Note that the members, will continue to receive a Member Local Highways Fund (revenue) allocation of £7,500 per county member to address highway issues in their division; and

     

    (x)   Agree that each county member allocates £5,000 (leaving £2,500 per member to address highway issues in their divisions) or the full amount (£7,500 per member) of their Member Local Highways Fund allocation to be pooled to commission a revenue maintenance gang.

     

    (xi)  Agree that revenue works are to be managed by the Highway Maintenance team on behalf of and in consultation with county members.

     

    REASONS FOR DECISIONS:

     

    To agree, a programme of highways works in Waverley for 2022/23, funded from budgets available to enable schemes and works to progress.

     

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None.

     

    Officer in attendance: Zena Curry (Stakeholder Engagement Manager) and Patrick Giles, Local Engagement Officer, Waverley and Guildford), Highways

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None.

     

    The Stakeholder Engagement Manager outlined the draft budget report, the funds available for Members and the proposed ITS scheme list (Annex A).  The Local Engagement Officer had been in touch with County Members to gather their local priorities for expenditure.  Additional funds had also been made available County Wide to cover road safety outside schools. 

     

    Members asked about the parking surplus and how this would be allocated in future and this would be investigated and advised.  Members also asked about the prioritisation of small schemes and were advised that a new prioritisation process was being developed.

     

    It was raised that the different budget pots available were confusing and that addressing the poor condition of rural roads was a high priority to local residents and cyclists.  SCC’s highways maintenance investment programme (Operation Horizon) was in place to address this, but there were a lot of roads that needed attention.  A highways safety inspection system was in place for more minor works. 

     

    Members did note that the ITS list totalled schemes of £260K and there was a total of £305K available and that any remainder would therefore be divided between the divisional members. 

     

    The Local Committee (Waverley) agreed to:

     

    General

    (i)    Note that, the Local Committee’s devolved highways budget for capital works in 2022/23 is £755,551 as agreed by Cabinet on 22nd February 2022.

     

    (ii)   Agree that, the devolved capital budget for highway works be used to progress both capital improvement schemes and member capital allocation as detailed in section 1.

     

    (iii)   Authorise that the Highway Engagement & Commissioning Manager in consultation with county members be able to reallocate the budget should there be a need to change the programme. 

     

    (iv) Authorise that the Highways Engagement and Commissioning Manager in consultation with county members, be able to allocate any additional funding for schemes, in accordance with any guidance issued surrounding that funding.

     

     

    Capital Improvement Schemes

    (v)   Agree that, the capital improvement schemes allocation (Major Integrated Transport Schemes) for Waverley be used for the 3 ITS projects listed in Annex 1, with any remainder split equally between the divisional members.

     

    (vi)  Authorise that the Highways Engagement and Commissioning Manager be able to vire money between the agreed schemes if required.

     

    (vii) Agree that Highways Engagement and Commissioning Manager, in line with the Scheme of Delegation, is able to progress any scheme from the Major Integrated Transport Schemes programme, including consultation and statutory advertisement that may be required under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, for completion of those schemes.  Where it is agreed that a scheme will not be progressed, this will be reported back to the appropriate county member.

     

    Member Capital Allocation

    (viii) Note that, £50,000 is allocated to each divisional member. Up to £15,000 of this could be allocated to minor ITS, or all £50,000 could be used on capital maintenance  ...  view the full minutes text for item 31/21

32/21

RURAL SPEED LIMIT REPORT FOR WAVERLEY, GUILDFORD AND MOLE VALLEY pdf icon PDF 163 KB

    • Share this item

    Most rural roads in the south and southwest of Surrey are still subject to the national speed limit of 60mph. The 60mph speed limit is inappropriate for these rural roads. The Drive SMART Road Safety Partnership have agreed to provide £100,000 funding which will be supplemented by additional funding for road safety from Surrey County Council to review and implement lower speed limits on rural roads in the south of Surrey in a proactive, strategic, area wide basis. This report presents proposals for a reduction in speed limits across a wide area of the south of rural Surrey and seeks agreement from the committee to proceed.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Waverley)agreed that:

     

    (i)      The speed limits be reduced on the roads as shown in Appendix B that are in the Waverley Local Committee area. (Other roads within the Guildford and Mole Valley areas are also shown for information and are being presented to the Local/Joint Committees for those areas for approval separately).

     

    (ii)      Authorise the advertisement of a notice in accordance with the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, the effect of which will be to implement the proposed speed limit changes, revoke any existing traffic orders necessary to implement the change, and, subject to no objections being upheld, that the order be made.

     

    (iii)     Note that after 1 April the Highways Engagement and Commissioning Manager will be responsible for resolving any objections received in connection with the proposal in consultation with the relevant Divisional Member.

     

    (iv)    Note that if the reductions in speed limit have not been successful, then further supporting highway measures or a higher speed limit may be necessary.

     

    REASONS FOR DECISIONS:

     

    Reducing the speed limit on these roads will help to manage vehicle speeds to a level more appropriate to the use of road and will reduce the risk and severity of collisions. Lower speeds can also reduce air and noise pollution, and make it safer, easier and more pleasant to walk, cycle and ride horses.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None.

     

    Officer in attendance: Duncan Knox (Road Safety Manager) Highways

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None.

     

    Members welcomed the report and proposals.  It was noted that these new speed limits would be introduced in the first part of the forthcoming financial year, with plans to extend this project to cover further areas into the future.  

     

    The Local Committee (Waverley)agreed that:

     

    (i)      The speed limits be reduced on the roads as shown in Appendix B that are in the Waverley Local Committee area. (Other roads within the Guildford and Mole Valley areas are also shown for information and are being presented to the Local/Joint Committees for those areas for approval separately).

     

    (ii)      Authorise the advertisement of a notice in accordance with the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, the effect of which will be to implement the proposed speed limit changes, revoke any existing traffic orders necessary to implement the change, and, subject to no objections being upheld, that the order be made.

     

    (iii)     Note that after 1 April the Highways Engagement and Commissioning Manager will be responsible for resolving any objections received in connection with the proposal in consultation with the relevant Divisional Member.

     

    (iv)    Note that if the reductions in speed limit have not been successful, then further supporting highway measures or a higher speed limit may be necessary.

     

    REASONS FOR DECISIONS:

     

    Reducing the speed limit on these roads will help to manage vehicle speeds to a level more appropriate to the use of road and will reduce the risk and severity of collisions. Lower speeds can also reduce air and noise pollution, and make it safer, easier and more pleasant to walk, cycle and ride horses.

     

33/21

GODALMING STATION ACCESSIBILITY IMPROVEMENTS pdf icon PDF 146 KB

    • Share this item

    The current footway provision for pedestrians walking to and from Godalming Station is compromised by narrow or missing pavements, with few formal or informal crossing points to access the station pedestrian area, and pedestrians having to negotiate around two-way traffic that is itself negotiating narrow roadspace in places.

     

    Improving pedestrian accessibility to and from Godalming Station will provide a better, more accessible, and safer walking environment for pedestrians to walk to and from the station, promote active travel and encourage safer practices for all users of the roads and pavements in the vicinity of the station.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Waverley) agreed:

     

    (i)    to support the proposal to improve pedestrian accessibility to Godalming Station   and to progress with the feasibility work for this scheme

     

    (ii)   to support a public consultation on the scheme to seek the views of stakeholders

     

    (iii)  that approval for the advertising of any Traffic Regulation Order required to enable the scheme is given by the agreed relevant delegated authority in consultation with the local divisional member.

     

    REASONS FOR DECISIONS:

    The current footway provision for pedestrians walking to and from Godalming Station is compromised by narrow or missing pavements, with few formal or informal crossing points to access the station pedestrian area, and pedestrians having to negotiate around two-way traffic that is itself negotiating narrow roadspace in places.

     

    Improving pedestrian accessibility to and from Godalming Station will provide a better, more accessible, and safer walking environment for pedestrians to walk to and from the station, promote active travel and encourage safer practices for all users of the roads and pavements in the vicinity of the station.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None.

     

    Officer in attendance: Alison Houghton, Senior Transport Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None.

     

    The Senior Transport Officer outlined the programme which was to try to encourage alternative methods of travel.  External funding had been obtained for the proposed improvements which included widening the footway, providing crossing points and investigating a one way scheme.   Members were delighted that the area was being looked at as improvements were much needed.  It was noted that consultation should include the Waverley licensing team (for the taxi rank), which was much used by students and rail passengers.

     

    The Local Committee (Waverley) agreed:

     

    (i)    to support the proposal to improve pedestrian accessibility to Godalming Station   and to progress with the feasibility work for this scheme

     

    (ii)   to support a public consultation on the scheme to seek the views of stakeholders

     

    (iii)  that approval for the advertising of any Traffic Regulation Order required to enable the scheme is given by the agreed relevant delegated authority in consultation with the local divisional member.

     

    REASONS FOR DECISIONS:

    The current footway provision for pedestrians walking to and from Godalming Station is compromised by narrow or missing pavements, with few formal or informal crossing points to access the station pedestrian area, and pedestrians having to negotiate around two-way traffic that is itself negotiating narrow roadspace in places.

     

    Improving pedestrian accessibility to and from Godalming Station will provide a better, more accessible, and safer walking environment for pedestrians to walk to and from the station, promote active travel and encourage safer practices for all users of the roads and pavements in the vicinity of the station.

     

34/21

PROPOSED DIVERSION OF FOOTPATH 070 (EWHURST) pdf icon PDF 260 KB

    • Share this item

    The report seeks a decision on whether or not to make a legal order to divert Footpath 70 Ewhurst.

     

    The proposed new route takes the path in an easterly direction for 119 metres to where it joins Footpath 71, 68 metres south of the present junction.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Waverley) agreed that:

     

          i.        A public path diversion order is made under section 119 of the Highways Act 1980 to divert Public Footpath No. 70 (Ewhurst) as shown on Drawing No. 3/1/.

         ii.        If any objections are received and maintained to the order it should be submitted to the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for determination.

    REASONS FOR DECISIONS:

     

    Officers are of the view that the criteria for making a diversion order have been met and that it is expedient that the line of the path or way, or part of that line, should be diverted.

     

    The proposed public path diversion order is in the interests of the landowner. In terms of its termination point the alternative is substantially as convenient for the public.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None.

     

    Officer in attendance: Catherine Valiant, Countryside Access Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None.

     

    A legal order was requested for the diversion of footpath 70 at Ewhurst.  It was noted that each case was considered on its own merits and that this did not set a particular  precedent.

     

    The Local Committee (Waverley) agreed that:

     

          i.        A public path diversion order is made under section 119 of the Highways Act 1980 to divert Public Footpath No. 70 (Ewhurst) as shown on Drawing No. 3/1/.

         ii.        If any objections are received and maintained to the order it should be submitted to the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for determination.

    REASONS FOR DECISIONS:

     

    Officers are of the view that the criteria for making a diversion order have been met and that it is expedient that the line of the path or way, or part of that line, should be diverted.

     

    The proposed public path diversion order is in the interests of the landowner. In terms of its termination point the alternative is substantially as convenient for the public.

35/21

PROPOSED DIVERSION OF FOOTPATHS 599 & 600 AND PART EXTINGUISHMENT OF FOOTPATH 601 AT WITLEY pdf icon PDF 197 KB

    • Share this item

    The report seeks a decision on whether to make legal orders to divert Footpaths 599 & 600 (Witley) and extinguish part of Footpath 601 (Witley)

     

    The diversion of Footpath 599 would result in a path 98 metres longer than the existing Definitive route, whilst that of FP600 would result in a path 79 metres longer than the existing Definitive route. The diversion of these two paths would leave a short section of FP601 (71m in length) as a dead end, serving no purpose to the public and the application has therefore included the extinguishment of this section.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Waverley) agreed that:

     

    (i)            Orders are made to divert Footpath 599 & 600 (Witley) and to extinguish part of Footpath 601 (Witley) as shown on Drawing No. 3/1/16/H44D, in Annex A providing this had no negative biodiversity impact.

    (ii)           If any objections are received and maintained to the orders they should be submitted to the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for determination.        

    REASONS FOR DECISIONS:

     

    The criteria which need to be met to enable public paths to be diverted or extinguished are set out in the legislation. The officer believes these criteria have been met and that an Order to divert and extinguish the footpaths as described can therefore be made.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None.

     

    Officer in attendance: Catherine Valiant, Countryside Access Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None.

     

    The Countryside Access Officer outlined the report.  Members confirmed that once the order was made, maintained objections would be resolved by the Secretary of State.  Costs are met by the landowner up to this point, but if the case went to the Secretary of State then the County Council would meet those costs.  This ensured that rigorous process was undertaken prior to recommendations.  The applicant would fund the costs of pathway diversion, bringing new pathways up to an agreed and acceptable standard.

     

    Members were concerned about biodiversity impact and agreed to the recommendations on the basis that this did not have a known negative impact.

     

    The Local Committee (Waverley) agreed that:

     

    (i)            Orders are made to divert Footpath 599 & 600 (Witley) and to extinguish part of Footpath 601 (Witley) as shown on Drawing No. 3/1/16/H44D, in Annex A, providing this had no negative biodiversity impact.

    (ii)           If any objections are received and maintained to the orders they should be submitted to the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for determination.        

    REASONS FOR DECISIONS:

     

    The criteria which need to be met to enable public paths to be diverted or extinguished are set out in the legislation. The officer believes these criteria have been met and that an Order to divert and extinguish the footpaths as described can therefore be made.

     

36/21

LOCAL COMMITTEE DECISION TRACKER (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 320 KB

    • Share this item

    To review any outstanding Local Committee decisions.

     

    Minutes:

    The decision tracker was noted.

37/21

LOCAL COMMITTEE FORWARD PROGRAMME pdf icon PDF 12 KB

    • Share this item

    To note the proposed forward programme and consider any additional items for future discussion.

    Minutes:

    The forward plan was noted.

     

    Members discussed the decision taken at Cabinet to remove Highways decisions from the Local Committee.  Borough Members felt that the Committee worked well and that there were benefits to making decisions locally.  It was suggested that the Chair of the Committee write to the Cabinet to put forward as the Waverley LC view.

38/21

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

    • Share this item

    To be held on Friday 8 July 2022 at 10am in Waverley Council Chamber, The Burys, Godalming GU7 1HR.

     

    Minutes:

    To be held on Friday 8 July 2022 at 10am in Waverley Council Chamber, The Burys, Godalming GU7 1HR.