Agenda, decisions and minutes

Epsom and Ewell Local Committee
Monday, 19 September 2016 7.00 pm

Venue: Bourne Hall, Spring Street, Ewell KT17 1UF

Contact: Nicola Morris, Community Partnership & Committee Officer  Surrey County Council, Community Partnership Team, Epsom Town Hall (2nd floor), Epsom, KT18 5BY

Items
No. Item

31/16

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTIONS

32/16

CHAIRMAN'S BUSINESS

    The Chairman will update the Committee on any current issues.

    Minutes:

    The Chairman reported that sections of the meeting would be broadcast on the social media app Periscope as a of making the meetings more accessible to residents.

     

    He reminded members that Adult Social Care has recently published a leaflet of key contacts for the Borough and that copies could be obtained from the Community Partnership & Committee Officer on request.

33/16

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS AND STATEMENTS

    To answer any questions or receive a statement from any member of the public who lives, works or studies in the Surrey County Council area in accordance with Standing Order 69.  Notice should be given in writing or by e-mail to the Community Partnership & Committee Officer at least by noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    Three questions were received.  The questions and answers are set out in Annex A.  The following additional points were made:

     

    Question 1:  The questioner reported that he had subsequently sent some photos showing the road being blocked by large vehicles attempting to pass parked cars in this narrow road.  On some occasions the refuse vehicle also has trouble getting through. 

     

    Question 3:  Cllr Arthur reported that currently around 100 trees a year are planted by the Borough Council and asked what will happen in future to avoid the loss of trees in this leafy Borough.  Officers replied that the Borough Council can continue to plant trees if they have funding available or if funding from other sources can be identified, but the County Council will not have a budget for tree planting.

Annex A pdf icon PDF 125 KB

34/16

ADJOURNMENT

    For the Committee to consider adjourning for up to half an hour to receive questions from members of the public.

    Minutes:

    Twelve members of the public were present.  Two informal questions were asked (one was deferred to item 9) and answers were provided at the meeting.

35/16

PETITIONS

36/16

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 146 KB

37/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    To receive any declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests from Members in respect of any item to be considered at the meeting.

     

    Notes:

    ·        In line with the Relevant Authorities (Disclosable Pecuniary Interests) Regulations 2012, declarations may relate to the interest of the member, or the member’s spouse or civil partner, or a person with whom the member is living as husband or wife, or a person with whom the member is living as if they were civil partners and the member is aware they have the interest.

     

    ·        Members need only disclose interests not currently listed on the Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests.

     

    ·        Members must notify the Monitoring Officer of any interests disclosed at the meeting so they may be added to the Register.

     

    ·        Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

     

    Minutes:

    There were no declarations of interest.

38/16

MEMBER QUESTION TIME

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.   Notice should be given in writing to the Community Partnership & Committee officer by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    One question was received.  The questions and answers are set out in Annex B.  The following additional points were made:

     

    Mrs Mason expressed her disappointment at the quality of communication with local members, who she felt had not been kept fully up to date on what is happening in order for them to pass information to local residents.  She asked how residents without computers can access the information, requested a rough timeline, not specific dates and to see all letters sent to residents as some residents appeared not to have not received them.  Cllr Smitheram also raised a recent incident in relation to the demolition process and asked what plan is in place to facilitate the movement of HGVs.  An officer would be asked to contacted Mrs Mason after the meeting to discuss the matter further.

Annex B pdf icon PDF 29 KB

39/16

HIGHWAYS UPDATE [Executive function - for decision] pdf icon PDF 193 KB

    This report summarises progress with the Local Committee’s programme of

    Highways works for the current Financial Year 2016-17.

     

    Committee is asked to approve the strategy for allocation of budgets for next

    Financial Year.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    That the Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed to

     

    (i)          Defer construction of the Stoneleigh Park Road to Bradford Drive Cycle Link, and the Scotts Farm Road Cycle Link, to 2017-18;

    (ii)         Authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s), to prioritise schemes as necessary to ensure the remainder of this Financial Year’s budgets are fully invested in the road network in Epsom and Ewell;

    (iii)        Note that 5 year programmes for structures and drainage are being developed and that members are invited to make suggestions of priority works for these programmes to the relevant officers by 30th September 2016;

    (iv)       Approve the strategy for allocation of next Financial Year’s budgets as detailed in Table 4;

    (v)        Ask officers to seek an extension from the developer to the time limit on the use of the s106 funding and to set up a Task Group comprising two Borough and two County councillors to discuss the options for the use of the funding, within the agreed purpose, and make recommendations to the Committee.  Membership to be agreed after the meeting and notified to the Community Partnership & Committee Officer;

    (vi)       Approve a new Bus Stop Clearway in Church Street, Epsom, as detailed in Annex G;

    (vii)      Approve a new Bus Stand Clearway in Station Approach, Epsom, as detailed in Annex H;

    (viii)     Authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

    Reasons:  The recommendations are intended to facilitate delivery of the 2016-17 Highways programmes funded by the Local Committee and to facilitate development of Committee’s 2017-18 Highways programmes, while at the same time ensuring that the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Members are fully and appropriately involved in any detailed considerations.

    Specific recommendations are made to ensure developer monies arising out of the Espom Station development are invested according to the terms of the s106 agreement, and to facilitate the implementation of Clearways to prevent obstruction to the operation of local bus services.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest:  None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Team Manager; Alan Flaherty, Engineer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: CllrDallen queried whether it would be appropriate to change the previous decision of the Committee regarding the cycle scheme in Waterloo Road before the completion on the Plan E work.  He requested that a Task Group should be set up to look at the options available.

     

    There was no indication of any further public questions or statements so the Committee moved to debate the options outlined in the officer report.

     

    Member Discussion – key points

     

    Members asked whether if the Committee agreed to defer the proposed schemes they would be included in the programme of work for next year.  The Area Highways Team Manager responded that this would be a decision for the Local Committee when they consider the priorities for future years, within the budget available.

     

    Members were informed of the work of the highways works communication team, who are working to improve communications on highway work both with members and local residents/businesses.  The Area Highways Team Manager agreed to find out whether Borough members could also be informed if works are delayed.

     

    Noted that the final phase 9 parking proposals have now been agreed and details will be published shortly on the SCC website.  It is hoped that the signs and lines will be in place by the end of October.

     

    Mrs Mason asked whether the community enhancement budget could be spent on cleaning illuminated bollards which are becoming increasingly dirty.  The Chairman responded that £5,000 is available for each division and that Mrs Mason could ask for bollards to be cleaned in her area if this is a high priority for her.

     

    In relation to paragraph 2.35 and the s106 agreement for funding of “cycle, pedestrian and public transport facilities in Waterloo Road” members asked whether the developer could be asked to extend the deadline for the return of this funding to allow the final decision to be made once the Plan E work is completed.  Members felt that nothing had changed since the last discussion and alternative options should be considered.  The Area Highways Manger reported that the traffic modelling work for Plan E has now been completed so that a reduction in traffic congestion at the Spread Eagle can be demonstrated.  Members acknowledged that the current informal double queuing in Waterloo Road can make it difficult and dangerous for cyclists 

     

    Resolved: to

     

    (i)          Defer construction of the Stoneleigh Park Road to Bradford Drive Cycle Link, and the Scotts Farm Road Cycle Link, to 2017-18;

    (ii)         Authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s), to prioritise schemes as necessary to ensure the remainder of this Financial Year’s budgets are fully invested in the road network in Epsom and Ewell;

    (iii)        Note that 5 year programmes for structures and drainage are being developed and that members are invited to make suggestions of priority works for these programmes to the relevant  ...  view the full minutes text for item 39/16

40/16

EPSOM-BANSTEAD SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORT PACKAGE [Executive function - for decision] pdf icon PDF 123 KB

    This paper is to brief the Local Committee Members on the Epsom Banstead Sustainable Transport Package (STP). The scheme is currently being developed into a business case for submission to the Coast to Capital (C2C) Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) in a bid for funding from the Local Growth Award. Bid submission date is expected at the end of September 2016, although a firm date is still to be confirmed by the LEP.

     

    The scheme was the subject of a recent public consultation for seven weeks between 27 June 2016 and 14 August 2016.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest:  None

     

    Officers attending: Neil McClure, Transport Strategy Project Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member Discussion – key points

     

    Member queried whether Epsom & Ewell Borough Council are contributing anything to the project.  It was confirmed that the Borough are not making a contribution as the available funding is being directed to other projects such as the Plan E scheme. 

     

    Members asked whether anything can be done to prevent people parking on the Reigate Road cycle way as posts are currently in place to stop parking on the verge.  Officers replied that it is an offense to park on an off carriageway cycle route which this will be, but there are also engineering measures which can be considered such as double height kerbs to stop vehicles accessing the area.

     

    The Committee noted the progress to date and the results of the high level analysis of the public engagement on the proposed schemes.

41/16

EPSOM 'PLAN E' HIGHWAY IMPROVEMENTS [Executive function - for decision) pdf icon PDF 201 KB

    The purpose of this paper is to update members on Epsom ‘Plan E’ Highway Improvements scheme, and seek approval to advertise legal orders and notices in association with the overall scheme.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    That the Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed

     

    (i)     To note the update on the proposed measures and junction layouts as indicated in this report and illustrated in Annex 1 and summarised in Annex 3,

    (ii)    To approve advertising of the following notices based on the information provided in the report in association with Annexes 1 and 2 and summarised in Annex 3 and with specific reference to:

    Paragraph 2.9 (iv)

    Paragraph 2.17 (vii-viii)

    Paragraph 2.20 (viii-ix)

    Paragraph 2.25 (vi-x)

    Paragraph 2.30 (viii-x)

    Paragraph 2.32 (iv)

    The County Council’s intention is to make the required orders under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 to be advertised and, if no objections are maintained, the order(s) be made;

    (iii)   That if objections are received to the advertisement of the legal notices and traffic orders, that the Area Team Manager is authorised to resolve them in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, Divisional Members and Project Manager, to decide whether or not they should be acceded to and therefore whether the orders should be made, with or without modification or to be discussed and if appropriate agreed at the next Local Committee meeting.

    Reasons: To ensure that the Local Committee is kept informed, the Local Committee is asked to note the current proposals and general arrangements as indicated within this report.

     

    The Local Committee is asked to approve the proposals including the installation of flat top raised tables at locations as indicated in Annex 1 to signified a ‘gateway to the high street area’ to alter drivers perception and increase pedestrian priority and reduce traffic dominance within the town centre.

     

    To ensure that the Plan E Highway Improvements Scheme receives the necessary approvals to start construction currently planned for Jan 2017 and once implemented contributed toward achieving the objectives of the Plan E Area Action Plan.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest:  None

     

    Officers attending: Steve Howard, Transport Policy Project Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member Discussion – key points

     

    A member asked whether the proposed changes to the parking restrictions in South Street would mean that on street parking in the evening would no longer be possible.  It was confirmed that this would be the intention.

     

    Noted that traffic lights throughout the town centre would be optimised as a result of updating the urban traffic controller as part of the work.

     

    Noted that the current signs displaying spaces available in the town centre car parks will be renewed.  The replacements will be smaller and able to display other messages as appropriate.

     

    The County Council is working with the Borough Council on a ‘way-finding’ signs which will extend Borough wide to key destinations.

     

    The road tables proposed as part of the scheme aim to encourage vehicles entering the town to slow down and make the area more pedestrian friendly without the use of additional signal controlled crossing points.

     

    Resolved:

     

    (i)     To note the update on the proposed measures and junction layouts as indicated in this report and illustrated in Annex 1 and summarised in Annex 3,

    (ii)    To approve advertising of the following notices based on the information provided in the report in association with Annexes 1 and 2 and summarised in Annex 3 and with specific reference to:

    Paragraph 2.9 (iv)

    Paragraph 2.17 (vii-viii)

    Paragraph 2.20 (viii-ix)

    Paragraph 2.25 (vi-x)

    Paragraph 2.30 (viii-x)

    Paragraph 2.32 (iv)

    The County Council’s intention is to make the required orders under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 to be advertised and, if no objections are maintained, the order(s) be made;

    (iii)   That if objections are received to the advertisement of the legal notices and traffic orders, that the Area Team Manager is authorised to resolve them in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, Divisional Members and Project Manager, to decide whether or not they should be acceded to and therefore whether the orders should be made, with or without modification or to be discussed and if appropriate agreed at the next Local Committee meeting.

    Reasons: To ensure that the Local Committee is kept informed, the Local Committee is asked to note the current proposals and general arrangements as indicated within this report.

     

    The Local Committee is asked to approve the proposals including the installation of flat top raised tables at locations as indicated in Annex 1 to signified a ‘gateway to the high street area’ to alter drivers perception and increase pedestrian priority and reduce traffic dominance within the town centre.

     

    To ensure that the Plan E Highway Improvements Scheme receives the necessary approvals to start construction currently planned for Jan 2017 and once implemented contributed toward achieving the objectives of the Plan E Area Action Plan.

     

42/16

LOCAL COMMITTEE FUNDING OF COMMUNITY SAFETY PROJECTS [Executive function - for decision] pdf icon PDF 170 KB

    The Local Committee has a delegated budget of £3,000 for community safety projects. This report recommends the introduction of a simple process enabling the local Community Safety Partnership and other organisations to outline their planned spend for projects that meet the criteria outlined in this report.

    Decision:

    That the Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed that:

    (i)                    The delegated Community Safety budget of £3,000 per Local Committee for 2016/17 is to be retained by the Community Partnership Team, on behalf of the Local Committee, and that local organisations including the Community Safety Partnership are invited to submit proposals that meet the criteria and principles for funding, as defined at paragraph 2.6 of this report.

    (ii)                   Authority is delegated to the Community Partnership Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Local Committee, to authorise the expenditure of the Community Safety budget in accordance with the criteria and principles stated at paragraph 2.6 of this report.

    (iii)                  The Committee receives a report detailing the projects that were successful in being awarded the local community safety funding and the outcomes and impact they have achieved.

    Reasons: A recent analysis of how the local committees’ community safety funds were spent in 2015-16 revealed a mixed picture. While there were some notable examples of good practice, much of the funding was spent on activities that could have otherwise been delivered either through existing partnership work or by closer synergy with Surrey’s established, strategic community safety projects. This report makes recommendations that are intended to secure greater oversight of the committee’s expenditure and better value for money for projects that help to achieve the County’s community safety priorities.

     

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest:  None

     

    Officers attending: Nicola Morris, Community Partnership & Committee Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member Discussion – key points

     

    The Chairman reminded the Committee that last year the Committee had retained the Community Safety funding and had allowed both the Community Safety Partnership and other local organisations to bid for the funding at the same time, instead of letting the Community Safety Partnership bid in advance of other organisations, as suggested in the officer recommendations.  He felt that this approach had been successful and proposed that last year’s arrangement should be continued and the Committee were in agreement with this approach.

     

    It was noted that a recent meeting of the Epsom & Ewell Community Safety Partnership had agreed that it should amalgamate with the East Surrey Community Safety Partnership and if this is ratified they will have an opportunity to bid for the funding.

     

    Resolved: That

     

    (i)            The delegated Community Safety budget of £3,000 per Local Committee for 2016/17 be retained by the Community Partnership Team, on behalf of the Local Committee, and that local organisations including the Community Safety Partnership are invited to submit proposals that meet the criteria and principles for funding, as defined at paragraph 2.6 of the report.

    (ii)           Authority is delegated to the Community Partnership Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Local Committee, to authorise the expenditure of the Community Safety budget in accordance with the criteria and principles stated at paragraph 2.6 of this report.

    (iii)          The Committee receives a report detailing the projects that were successful in being awarded the local community safety funding and the outcomes and impact they have achieved.

    Reasons: A recent analysis of how the local committees’ community safety funds were spent in 2015-16 revealed a mixed picture. While there were some notable examples of good practice, much of the funding was spent on activities that could have otherwise been delivered either through existing partnership work or by closer synergy with Surrey’s established, strategic community safety projects. This report makes recommendations that are intended to secure greater oversight of the committee’s expenditure and better value for money for projects that help to achieve the County’s community safety priorities.

     

     

43/16

LOCAL COMMITTEE DECISION/ACTION TRACKER [For information] pdf icon PDF 128 KB

    This item provides an update on previous decisions and actions agreed by the Committee.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest:  None

     

    Officers attending: Nicola Morris, Community Partnership & Committee Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member Discussion – key points

     

    None

     

    Noted the progress with the recorded decisions/actions

     

44/16

DATE OF NEXT MEETING