Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Epsom and Ewell Local Committee
Monday, 10 December 2018 2.00 pm

Venue: Epsom Town Hall, The Parade, Epsom KT18 5BY

Contact: Nicola Morris, Partnership Committee Officer  Surrey County Council, Community Partnerships & Safety Team, Epsom Town Hall (2nd floor), Epsom, KT18 5BY

Link: Click here for Podcast

Items
No. Item

OPEN FORUM pdf icon PDF 55 KB

The questions and responses to the matters raised in the open forum are attached to the minutes.

40/18

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTIONS

    To receive any apologies for absence and notices of substitutions from Borough members under Standing Order 39.

    Minutes:

    Apologies for absence were received from county councillor Bernie Muir and from borough councillors, Kate Chinn and Hannah Dalton.  Borough councillors, Vince Romagnuolo and Tella Wormington substituted for them respectively.

41/18

CHAIRMAN'S BUSINESS

    The Chairman will update the Committee on any current issues.

    Minutes:

    The Chairman reported that the additional resurfacing agreed as part of the winter programme has now been completed and inspected.  He thanked the maintenance engineer and the central maintenance team for their hard work in achieving this.

     

    He reported that there has been no improvement in funding for schools following a Government review and that Schools are being asked to continue to support Special Educational Needs pupils.

     

    The Local/Joint Committee Chairmen’s Group had recently had a flooding workshop and the officers involved had been invited to the next informal meeting of the Committee to do a similar session for members.

     

    Noted that the results of the countryside review had now been published.

     

    The Chairman reminded members that the County Council currently has five consultations open on potential service changes and that responses should be submitted by early January 2019.

42/18

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS AND STATEMENTS pdf icon PDF 67 KB

    To answer any questions or receive a statement from any member of the public who lives, works or studies in the Surrey County Council area in accordance with Standing Order 69.  Notice should be given in writing or by e-mail to the  Partnership Committee Officer at least by noon four working days before the meeting.

     

    Responses to the questions already received are attached.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    25 questions and statements were received.  The questions and responses are set out in the agenda and supplementary agenda for the meeting.  The following additional questions were asked:

     

    Question 1:  Does the Committee take the latest traffic data into account and are levels of NO2 monitored?  Response: All accident data supplied by the police is taken into account.  However, only data on accidents resulting in injury is collected as it is not a requirement to report collision only accidents.  Monitoring of air quality is a matter for the Borough Council and the question should be directed to them.

     

    Question 4:  Many people are affected by the increased congestion in Rosebank arising from the closure of the alternative access to St Joseph’s School.  What are the plans to alleviate this?   Response: There is very little that can be done to improve congestion in either Whitehorse Drive of Rosebank.  The priority is to keep traffic moving on the primary routes and these roads would not be a priority for alleviating congestion.  Any improvements would also result in more people attempting to drive to the School so sustainable transport is being encouraged.  The earliest the matter could be considered is at the March meeting of the Committee to allow transport patterns to be established.  The situation at this site is similar to that experienced in the area of many schools across Surrey.

     

    Question 12: Was the county council insurance team consulted when this response was prepares?  Response:  That was not thought necessary as there would be no liability in this situation.  Road users are liable for their own choices in parking safely and supervising vulnerable passengers.

     

    Question 16:  What justification is there for relaxing parking restrictions to allow children from outside the Borough to access the school at local taxpayers’ expense?  Response:  Parking reviews are fully funded by the surplus arising from parking enforcement activity and is not funded via the council tax.

     

    Question 23:  There are many grandparents who pick up and drop off children at the school and also parents taking multiple children.  Would relaxing parking in Abelea Green to provide additional park and stride opportunities help them access the school more easily?  Response:  No work has been done to establish how many parking spaces could potentially be provided in this area and whether, if they were provided, there would be sufficient to make a material difference to the situation.

43/18

PETITIONS pdf icon PDF 100 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68.

     

    Two petitions have been received and the officer response is provided:

     

    Petition for parking restrictions on St Margaret Drive and St Elizabeth Drive to be modified to allow parents to park and stride to St Joseph’s RC School

     

    822 Signatures.  Petitioners: the Governors of St Joseph’s School

     

    Petition rejecting the above and asking for current parking restrictions to be maintained

     

    84 Signatures. Petitioners: residents of Abelea Green estate which includes the roads listed above.

    Decision:

    The Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed:

     

    Decline the requested change to parking provision in St Margaret Drive and St Elizabeth Drive at the present time, as insufficient time has passed for new travel patterns to St Joseph’s School to have settled down, without prejudice to any future consideration of this request in the future.

     

    Reasons: To allow travel patterns to become established before changes are made in the area.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: 2 petitions were received

     

    The Head teacher of St Joseph’s School presented the petition for parking restrictions on St Margaret Drive and St Elizabeth Drive to be modified to allow parents to park and stride to access the school.  She expressed regret at having to submit the petition, but felt that there was a responsibility to keep the children safe.  The school already has supervised drop off before and after school and has staggered start and end times.  However there are a number of disabled pupils and also elderly and working parents who need easy access to the school.  60% of pupils already use sustainable transport options.  She expressed concern at the ability of emergency services to access the school following a recent incident early in the morning when it took 30 minutes for an ambulance to arrive.  The roads in Abelea Green are wide and safe and could allow children to walk safely from there to the school.

     

    Nick Bathurst, representing the residents of Abelea Green who are opposed to any change in parking restrictions in the area, acknowledged that the recent dispute had damaged relationships with the school, but he looked forward to improved relations now that the matter had been resolved.  He felt that the petition should be considered on its merits, taking into account practicality and safety.  The roads in question are narrow cul-de-sacs and any relaxation in restrictions would allow access to any vehicle not just those wishing to use the parking spaces to access the school. Vehicles will be looking for spaces and trying to turn round which will lead to increased danger for children.  He commended alternative suggestions such as improvements to the phasing of the lights on Rosebank.

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    The divisional member felt that it was too early to consider any changes at this point and that the changed access arrangements need more time to bed down.  She proposed an amended recommendation which was seconded by Cllr Teasdale.  On a vote it was unanimously:

     

    Resolved:

     

    To Decline the requested change to parking provision in St Margaret Drive and St Elizabeth Drive at the present time, as insufficient time has passed for new travel patterns to St Joseph’s School to have settled down, without prejudice to any future consideration of this request in the future.

     

    Reasons: To allow travel patterns to become established before changes are made in the area.

44/18

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 73 KB

45/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    There were no declarations of interest.

46/18

MEMBER QUESTION TIME pdf icon PDF 64 KB

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.   Notice should be given in writing to the Partnership Committee Officer by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    One question was received and the response is included in the supplementary agenda.  Cllr Arthur asked the following additional question:

     

    Will the buses being temporarily rerouted return to their usual route whist the work in the town centre is suspended for the Christmas period.  Officers responded that the buses will remain on their current routes for the duration of the work to avoid confusion for passengers.  Once the work is completed there will be a review of bus stops and stands in the town centre.

47/18

HIGHWAYS UPDATE [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 300 KB

    This report summarises progress with the Local Committee’s programme of Highways works for the current Financial Year 2018-19.

     

    Committee is asked to agree the strategy for allocation of Joint Committee Highways budgets for next Financial Year 2019-20.  Further Committee is asked to agree a programme of Integrated Transport Schemes (ITS schemes) for next Financial Year 2019-20.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed:

     

    (i)       The strategy for allocation of Joint Committee Highways budgets for next Financial Year 2019-20 as set out in Table 4 of the report;

    (ii)      To authorise the Area Highway Manager to advertise the statutory notice for a new Zebra Crossing in Waterloo Road, as shown in Annex A of the report, and to implement this new Zebra Crossing using s106 funding arising out of the redevelopment of Epsom Station;

    (iii)    The programme of ITS schemes for next Financial Year 2019-20 as set out in Table 6 of the report;

    (iv)    To the removal of seven schemes from the prioritisation list in Annex B, the scheme at Fair Green to be retained;

    (v)     To authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

    (vi)    To note with disappointment that for 2019/2020 the Local Highway budget will, once again, be cut which can only lead to a reduced highway maintenance service to the residents of Epsom & Ewell.

     

    Reasons: Recommendations are made to facilitate development of Committee’s 2019-20 Highways programmes, while at the same time ensuring that the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Members are fully and appropriately involved in any detailed considerations.

    Committee is asked to provide the necessary authorisation to deliver its programmes of work in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Member without the need to revert to the Committee as a whole.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    Members would like to see the new layby proposed near Chuters Grove progressed as the current situation is leading to congestion.

     

    The ward member thanked the officers for the proposals for West Park Road which meet most of the residents expectations.  He asked whether the double yellow lines requested would be part of this work.  The Area Highways Manager responded that they are not part of this package, but he would check to see if they had been included in the parking review and respond to the member.  He confirmed that other issues would be considered and would be addressed within the limits of the funding available from the developer.  Anything outstanding would need to be considered by the Committee and prioritised for further funding.

     

    Cllr Kington expressed disappointment that the funding allocated to the Committee had been reduced again as this is used to address issues which are important for residents.  He proposed an additional recommendation to this effect which was seconded by Cllr Teasdale.

     

    The divisional member queried the justification of a cost of £35,640 for the proposed bus shelter on Woodcote Green.  The Area Highways Manager would ask for a breakdown of the cost from the passenger transport team, but the decision to allocate this funding had been made by Epsom & Ewell Borough Council.

     

    It was noted that in relation to the Fair Green scheme, the delay in response from the Borough Council was as a result of a miscommunication.  SCC Officers were now in contact with the correct Borough officers and were awaiting a reply.  It was therefore agreed that this scheme should be retained.

     

    Noted that the businesses in Waterloo Road were concerned at the loss of parking associated with the proposal for a new zebra crossing and that local members may no longer be in favour of this proposal.  It was agreed to proceed with the recommendation to give the necessary authority should the proposal be taken forward.

     

    Resolved: 

     

    (i)       That the strategy for allocation of Joint Committee Highways budgets for next Financial Year 2019-20 as set out in Table 4 of the report, be agreed;

    (ii)      To authorise the Area Highway Manager to advertise the statutory notice for a new Zebra Crossing in Waterloo Road, as shown in Annex A of the report, and to implement this new Zebra Crossing using s106 funding arising out of the redevelopment of Epsom Station;

    (iii)    That the programme of ITS schemes for next Financial Year 2019-20 as set out in Table 6 of the report be agreed;

    (iv)    To remove seven schemes from the prioritisation list in Annex B, the scheme at Fair Green to be retained;

    (v)     To authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

    (vi)    [Councillor Mountain voted against] To note with disappointment that for 2019/2020  ...  view the full minutes text for item 47/18

48/18

EPSOM & EWELL LOCAL TRANSPORT STRATEGY FORWARD PROGRAMME [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 94 KB

    Agreeing priorities and securing funding for transport infrastructure investment is key to delivering Surrey County Council’s Community Vision for Surrey in 2030.

     

    To facilitate this, and as part of the statutory Local Transport Plan, Surrey County Council produces Local Transport Strategies for each district and borough. The current Local Transport Strategy for Epsom & Ewell was published in 2014. It is expected that the next update will take place in 2020, so that it may respond to transport requirements arising from Epsom & Ewell’s Local Plan. Thereafter the Local Transport Strategy would be reviewed on a three year cycle.

     

    Surrey County Council also maintains Forward Programmes of proposed transport schemes that would deliver each borough and district’s Local Transport Strategy, subject to funding and feasibility. The Epsom & Ewell Forward Programme is presented to Committee for approval, and approval to publish online, as part of a proposed new regime of publishing an up-to-date Forward Programme for each district and borough annually.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed:

     

    (i)       To note the timeframes and approach for updating the Borough’s Local Transport Strategy and for future updates to the Committee regarding the Forward Programme;

    (ii)      The revised version of the Forward Programme (Annex 1) of the report, subject to the amendments discussed at the meeting.

     

    Reasons:  A confirmed timeline and process for working with the Local Committee to develop and maintain future Local Transport Strategies and Forward Programmes will ensure the Local Committee and officers are well positioned to work together.

     

    An agreed Forward Programme will allow Members and officers to progress with a common understanding of proposed transport schemes for the borough (based upon the existing Local Transport Strategy, and ahead of decisions relating to a new Local Plan)

     

    If agreed, the Forward Programme would be published online, giving members of the public sight of the latest proposals and progress

     

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Steve Howard, Transport Strategy Project Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    Noted that the Borough Council had committed £500k towards a bid to South West Railways for step free access at Stoneleigh Station. A decision on whether this is successful is expected in March.  The Strategy document would be updated to reflect this.

     

    The following amendments to the strategy were put forward:

    ·          ETC-1 – this should reflect the additional funding provided by the Borough Council to complete the scheme;

    ·          The resilience scheme for the High Street and Quadrant junction should be added if guidance permits;

    ·          The reference to CIL funding for the Kiln Lane scheme should be removed.  It was noted that the Kiln Lane scheme is an SCC Cabinet approved scheme and would need Cabinet agreement for it to be removed from the strategy;

    ·          It was suggested that Network Rail should be added as a potential source of funding for painting of railway bridges as these are their assets;

    ·          Improved cycle security and CCTV at Epsom Station funded by Network Rail should be added to RA1;

     

    Resolved:

     

    (i)       To note the timeframes and approach for updating the Borough’s Local Transport Strategy and for future updates to the Committee regarding the Forward Programme;

    (ii)      That the revised version of the Forward Programme (Annex 1) of the report be agreed, subject to the amendments outlined above.

     

    Reasons:  A confirmed timeline and process for working with the Local Committee to develop and maintain future Local Transport Strategies and Forward Programmes will ensure the Local Committee and officers are well positioned to work together.

     

    An agreed Forward Programme will allow Members and officers to progress with a common understanding of proposed transport schemes for the borough (based upon the existing Local Transport Strategy, and ahead of decisions relating to a new Local Plan)

     

    If agreed, the Forward Programme would be published online, giving members of the public sight of the latest proposals and progress

     

     

49/18

LOCAL COMMITTEE DECISION TRACKER [FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 72 KB

    This item provides an update on previous decisions and actions agreed by the Committee. The Committee are asked to agree that the items marked as complete are removed from the tracker.

    Minutes:

    The Committee noted the progress made with items in the tracker and agreed that those marked as complete could be removed, with the exception of the item relating to hospital appointments.  It was agreed that the Chairman would write to the Chief Executive of the Trust seeking a response.  The item relating to Fair Green would be updated.

     

50/18

FORWARD PLAN [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 49 KB

51/18

DATE OF NEXT MEETING