Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Epsom and Ewell Local Committee
Monday, 24 June 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Bourne Hall, Spring Street, Ewell KT17 1UF

Contact: Nicola Morris, Partnership Committee Officer  Surrey County Council, Community Partnerships & Safety Team, Epsom Town Hall (2nd floor), Epsom, KT18 5BY

Items
No. Item

OPEN FORUM pdf icon PDF 52 KB

The questions and responses to the matters raised in the open forum are attached to the minutes.

 

13/19

APPOINTMENT OF CHAIRMAN AND VICE-CHAIRMAN OF THE LOCAL COMMITTEE FOR 2019/20

    To note the appointment by Council of County Councillor Tina Mountain

    as Chairman and County Councillor Jan Mason as Vice-Chairman

    of the Local Committee for the current municipal year.

    Minutes:

    The appointment by Council of Mrs Tina Mountain as Chairman and Mrs Jan Mason as Vice-Chairman of the Local Committee for the current municipal year was noted.

14/19

APPOINTMENT OF BOROUGH COUNCIL MEMBERS [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION – FOR DECISION]

    Under the County Council's Constitution (Part 4. Standing Orders, Part 3 40 (f)) no substitutes are permitted for district/borough council co-opted members of local committees, unless a local committee agrees otherwise at its first meeting following the Council’s annual meeting and in relation to all meetings in the following year, upon which named substitutes will be appointed to the Local Committee on the

    nomination of the relevant district/borough council.

     

    The Local Committee is therefore asked to decide whether it wishes to co-opt substitutes in the municipal year 2019/20.

     

    Epsom & Ewell Borough Council has nominated 5 Borough Councillors and 5 substitutes to serve on the Local Committee for the municipal year 2019-2020. Joanna Killian, Chief Executive, has now confirmed these appointments as follows, subject to the agreement by the Committee to permit substitutes:

     

    EPSOM AND EWELL BOROUGH COUNCIL APPOINTED

    MEMBERS [5]

    Cllr Steve Bridger [Stamford]

    Cllr Nigel Collin [College]

    Cllr Neil Dallen [Town]

    Cllr Debbie Monksfield [Court]

    Cllr Humphrey Reynolds [Ewell]

     

    Epsom and Ewell Borough Council Substitutes

    Cllr Arthur Abdulin [Town]

    Cllr Kate Chinn [Court]

    Cllr Chris Frost [Nonsuch]

    Cllr Liz Frost [Woodcote]

    Cllr Phil Neale [Cuddington]

    Decision:

    That the Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed:

     

    To co-opt substitutes for Borough Council members for the municipal year 2019/20.

     

    Reasons: Standing Order 40(f) requires the Committee at its first meeting in the municipal year to agree whether it wishes Borough Council members to be permitted to have substitutes

    Minutes:

    Resolved:

     

    To co-opt substitutes for Borough Council members for the municipal year 2019/20.

     

    Reasons: Standing Order 40(f) requires the Committee at its first meeting in the municipal year to agree whether it wishes Borough Council members to be permitted to have substitutes

15/19

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTIONS

16/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)               Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)              Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    Cllr Bernie Muir declared a predudicial interest in Item 10 as a resident of Abelea Green, she withdrew from the meeting for this item.

     

    Cllr Neil Dallen declared a personal interest in item 7, petition 2 as a resident of Hazon Way.

     

    Cllrs Eber Kington and Neil Dallen declared a personal interest in relation to references in the agenda to the Borough Councils Strategy & Resources Committee and Environment Committee of which they are the respective Chairmen.

     

    Cllr Humphrey Reynolds declared a personal interest in item 7, petition 1 as a resident of Ewell village.

17/19

CHAIRMAN'S BUSINESS

    The Chairman will update the Committee on any current issues.

    Minutes:

    The Chairman reported that both she and the Vice-Chairman are members of a Committee which is reviewing Fire Service activities.  They have carried out a number of fact finding visits and the report will be published next Monday.

18/19

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS AND STATEMENTS pdf icon PDF 63 KB

    To answer any questions or receive a statement from any member of the public who lives, works or studies in the Surrey County Council area in accordance with Standing Order 69.  Notice should be given in writing or by e-mail to the  Partnership Committee Officer at least by noon four working days before the meeting.

     

    One question has been received so far the officer response to which is attached.  Any further questions received before the deadline will be published in a supplementary agenda.

    Minutes:

    One question had been received, the question and the response are set out in the agenda.  The questioner was unable to attend so there was no further discussion.

19/19

PETITIONS pdf icon PDF 86 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68.

     

    Two petitions have been received and officer responses are attached.

     

    Petition 1 – Request for the introduction of a 20mph speed limit in Ewell Village

     

    Lead petitioner: Clare Clark   Signatures: 552

     

    Petition 2 – Request not to consider the closure of the access to Horsley Close, Epsom from Waterloo Road

     

    Lead petitioner: Janet Burgess   Signatures: 188

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    That the Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed:

     

    Petition 1: Request for the introduction of a 20mph speed limit in Ewell Village

     

    To allocate funding for a feasibility study if possible in 2019/20, subject to further discussions to identify suitable funding.

     

    Petition 2: Request not to consider the closure of the access to Horsley Close, Epsom from Waterloo Road

     

    To withdraw the proposed consultation of affected residents on the plan to close the entrance to Horsley Close from Waterloo Road and not to proceed further with this proposal.

     

    Reasons:  Petition 1: to evaluate the existing conditions in Ewell village and develop options to reduce vehicle speeds and improve safety.

     

    Petition 2: To take account of residents views, which are not supportive of the proposal.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest:  Cllr Reynolds declared a personal interest in Petition 1 as a resident of Ewell village.  Cllr Neil Dallen declared a personal interest in Petition 2 as a resident of Hazon Way.

     

    Officers attending: Peter Shimadry, Senior Traffic Engineer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: Two petitions were received.

     

    Petition 1:  Clare Clark set out the reasons for the petition to introduce 20mph speed limits in Ewell Village.  Both walking and cycling can be dangerous in the area as the pavements are narrow and vehicles often pass at speed.  Incidents have been recorded for several decades and there have been numerous stories of dangerous incidents and near misses which are not included in the accident data.  Many children walk to school in the area and it is important that it is a safe environment for them to do so.  There is lots of data available on the benefits of reducing speeds to 20mph and there was no rationale for setting local limits at 30mph.  Slower speeds are known to reduce the severity of injuries to casualties.  Although the council policy is only to introduce 20mph limits with traffic calming, unless speeds are already low, the community would be happy to just have a singed restriction.  Reduced speeds are also known to help with pollution and reduce traffic noise.  The extent of the required zone was left deliberately vague to allow SCC to consult more widely.

     

    Petition 2: Residents had been made aware of the Committee’s wish to consult on the option of closing Horsley Close at the junction of Waterloo Road via Facebook.  They did not want a closure as this would restrict access only one entry and exit via Hazon Way which is already a dangerous junction.  It is unfair on residents to suggest this closure to deal with anti-social behaviour which the authorities have been unable to address effectively.  Vehicles wait in this location as there is no parking provision at the station and no effective enforcement.  Closing the access will not reduce the anti-social behaviour in the car park and could increase it.  Two drug dealers have been arrested this week in the area and residents feel that the installation of CCTV could solve the anti-social behaviour issues.

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    Petition 1:  The Senior Traffic Engineer agreed that safety improvements and encouraging more people to walk and cycle are important, however there is no evidence that signed only areas reduce speeds and sometimes speeds actually increase if traffic calming is not introduced alongside the reductions.  A feasibility study would help to inform the Committee of what would need to be done and it may be possible to improve safety in a different way without reducing speeds.

     

    The divisional member indicated that he supports 20mph limits in specific locations in the vicinity of schools or in areas with high casualty numbers, but is yet to be convinced of the effectiveness of signed only areas.  The local Residents Association has been working with the police to analyse speeds  ...  view the full minutes text for item 19/19

20/19

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 91 KB

    To approve the Minutes of the previous meeting as a correct record.

    Minutes:

    Confirmed as a correct record.

     

    Cllr Dallen asked whether he could see the results of the radar surveys carried out to see if there were any suitable sites for the planting of trees in East Street, Epsom.  It was agreed this would be sent to him.

21/19

MEMBER QUESTION TIME pdf icon PDF 53 KB

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.   Notice should be given in writing to the Partnership Committee Officer by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

     

    The response to one question is currently available.  Further responses will be included in the supplementary agenda.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Three questions were received, the questions and officer responses are set out in the agenda and supplementary agenda for the meeting.  The following additional points were raised:

     

    Question 1:  Cllr Dallen asked whether Thames Water had notified SCC of further planned work in the area which they had mentioned to him.  It was agreed that this information would be passed to the Street works Team.

     

    Question 2:  Cllr Dallen requested that a report be brought to a future Committee meeting to begin the process set out in the response to the question.

22/19

ROAD SAFETY OUTSIDE SCHOOLS ST JOSEPH'S SCHOOL, ROSEBANK, EPSOM [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 121 KB

    The access arrangements to St Joseph’s School changed in October 2018.  Previously part of the school community accessed the school via St Margaret’s Drive, a private road across Abelea Green, and the car park at St Joseph’s Church.  This access route was closed to the school community in October 2018, which means the only approach routes to St Joseph’s School are now via Rosebank and Whitehorse Drive.  The reasons for this change are outside the scope of this report.

     

    Since this change, road safety concerns have been raised in both Rosebank and Whitehorse Drive.  In response officers have met the head teachers of both St Joseph’s and Rosebery Schools, and arranged site audits in accordance with the County Council’s “Road Safety Outside Schools” policy.  This report outlines observations, analysis and recommendations for minor highway improvements arising from these meetings and audits.

     

    The school run in Rosebank and Whitehorse Drive is quite typical for Surrey schools, and works significantly better than for a fair number of other schools.  The only observed safety concerns were to do with the operation of the pick up and drop off system in the school’s car park, which is accessible from Rosebank.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    That the Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed:

     

    (i)        To allocate funding to begin a feasibility study for St Joseph’s School this Financial Year 2019-20 at a maximum initial cost of £5,000, to include consideration of measures in both Rosebank and Whitehorse Drive, subject to the identification of suitable funding from the deferment of a project already scheduled for this year.

    (ii)        [on a vote 8 votes FOR to 1 AGAINST] To ask the parking engineer to draw up proposals for the relaxation of parking for a limited time period, at the start and end of the school day, on parts of the Abelea Green estate, to allow an additional park and stride location, for inclusion in the parking review to be considered at the September 2019 meeting of the Committee.

     

    Reasons:  To consider engineering improvements in Rosebank and Whitehorse Drive that may be beneficial and the option for an additional park and stride location.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: Cllr Bernie Muir declared a prejudicial interest as a resident of Abelea Green and left the meeting for this item.

     

    Officers attending: Peter Shimadry, Senior Traffic Engineer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    A member read out an e-mail sent that day to Committee members by a parent outlining the details of a recent incident in Rosebank where a disabled child cycling on the pavement had been knocked into the road by another child on a bike trying to pass and was nearly hit by a reversing vehicle.  Vehicles blocking the road, parking on the pavements and deliveries to the nursery mean that children often have to walk in the road to get to the school.  The parent considered that Rosebank is unsafe for the number of children and vehicles using it to access the school.

     

    The Senior Traffic Engineer commented that there are many schools around Surrey which experience similar congestion issues at school pick up and drop off times, but that a feasibility study would be the best way to determine what improvements may be possible.

     

    Whilst members were supportive of a feasibility study, they noted that all available funding for this year had already been allocated and further discussions would be needed to decide what, if anything could be postponed.  The Committee wished to limit the cost of the feasibility study to £5,000 without the agreement of the Committee to any further costs.

     

    It was noted that the Abelea Green area could provide an additional park and stride location, which is only around 12 minutes’ walk from the School.  The School has also indicated that this could be a suitable location for the operation of a walking bus, as it is the only location which does not require a busy road to be crossed to access the School.  It was proposed that some relaxation of the parking in this location, for a limited time at school pick up and drop off times, should be considered and advertised as part of the parking review coming to the Committee in September.  The divisional member indicated that she had already carried out a full consultation of the residents of Abelea Green and they were unanimously opposed to any relaxation of parking restrictions in the area.  She had proposed to the Borough Council, on several occasions, that parents could be granted 40 minutes free parking in the Ashley Centre car park, but his had been refused.  She felt that parents could make better use of car sharing opportunities and the School could extend the period of time during which children can be dropped off.  She also asked the Area Highway Manager to look at the potential for a road closure at School pick up and drop off times as is operated in some parts of London.

     

    Some members were in favour of the option of removing some of the resident parking spaces mentioned in the report to allow better access, but were unsure whether this could  ...  view the full minutes text for item 22/19

23/19

HIGHWAYS UPDATE [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 282 KB

    This report summarises progress with the Local Committee’s programme of Highways works for the current Financial Year 2019-20.

     

    Members are encouraged to start considering the strategy and priorities for next Financial Year, 2019-20.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    That the Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed:

     

    (i)       To defer a decision on whether to re-allocate £5,000 for the feasibility study for a cycle route on the London Road to the Fair Green cycle link scheme, pending further discussions on the priority of schemes to be funded this financial year.

    (ii)      To authorise the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman and affected divisional members, to re-evaluate and if necessary change the agreed capital ITS programme for the current financial year, to take account of schemes previously discussed at this meeting (20mph zone in Ewell Village, measures in Rosebank and Whitehorse Drive to improve access to St Joseph’s School) subject to further discussions as to whether this is possible without abortive costs.

    (iii)    Authorise the Area Highways Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

     

    Reasons:  To allow a re-evaluation of this year’s work programme to determine priorities in the light of new schemes being identified without the need to delay work by waiting for a future Committee decision.

     

    Committee is asked to provide the necessary authorisation to deliver those programmes of work in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and relevant Divisional Member without the need to revert to the Committee as a whole

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Peter Shimadry, Senior Traffic Engineer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    The Senior Traffic Engineer confirmed that there would be no additional costs to the Borough Council of progressing the Fair Green cycle link scheme.  He could not confirm whether objections were likely.  The £5,000 would cover the cost of the legal work required, further funding would be required to carry out the necessary upgrade work.  The aim of the work was to improve safety and provide year round use.  Members debated the relative priorities of the schemes already agreed and the requests for additional feasibility studies agreed earlier in the agenda, but did not have sufficient information on the progress of schemes to determine which could potentially be postponed.

     

    A member raised the current County Council policy on trees which he felt was not conducive to encouraging tree planting in the Borough.  There is funding available but the majority of requests for planting in the area have been refused.  The Cabinet member for Highways responded that the policy is clear and not restrictive and there is no issue with planting trees in a suitable location.  He agreed to look into specific issues outside the meeting if members wished to contact him.

     

    Resolved:

     

    (i)       To defer a decision on whether to re-allocate £5,000 for the feasibility study for a cycle route on the London Road to the Fair Green cycle link scheme, pending further discussions on the priority of schemes to be funded this financial year.

    (ii)      To authorise the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman and affected divisional members, to re-evaluate and if necessary change the agreed capital ITS programme for the current financial year, to take account of schemes previously discussed at this meeting (20mph zone in Ewell Village, measures in Rosebank and Whitehorse Drive to improve access to St Joseph’s School), subject to further discussions as to whether this is possible without abortive costs.

    (iii)    Authorise the Area Highways Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

     

    Reasons:  To allow a re-evaluation of this year’s work programme to determine priorities in the light of new schemes being identified without the need to delay work by waiting for a future Committee decision.

     

    Committee is asked to provide the necessary authorisation to deliver those programmes of work in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and relevant Divisional Member without the need to revert to the Committee as a whole

24/19

VERBAL UPDATE FROM SCC CABINET MEMBER FOR HIGHWAYS - MATT FURNISS [FOR INFORMATION]

    The new SCC Cabinet member for Highways, Matt Furniss will provide a short verbal update and answer member questions.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Peter Shimadry, Senior Traffic Engineer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    The County Council Cabinet member for Highways, Matt Furniss introduced himself to members and outlined his role in overseeing infrastructure delivery. 

    ·          He reported that there has been an increased investment in highways in the past year.  A new highways contract is being developed to begin in two years.

    ·          The Cabinet will be considering a report in July to allow Districts and Boroughs to be more involved in managing highway assets in town centres.

    ·          The roll out of LED street lights will begin in September/October and will follow the usual maintenance cycle to avoid additional costs.  This will involve the replacement of bulbs only.  It will save money on electricity and reduce carbon emissions.

    ·          Highways assets have been reviewed and it has been agreed that there should be some additional investment in pavements, which it is hoped will result in improvements.

    ·          The Surrey Infrastructure Academy has been launched recently and will be working with local colleges to promote highway related degrees to address a skills shortage.

    ·          There has been a successful switch over to a new drainage contractor and following the recent wet weather the number of enquiries related to highway flooding has been lower than previously.

     

    Member highlighted that the funding available to Local and Joint Committees to address highway issues in local areas had been reduced and was not allocated on road usage and it was hoped that this could be addressed in the budget allocation for next year.

     

    It was suggested that if the cost of street lighting is reduced by the introduction of LED bulbs then consideration could be given to turning street lights back on overnight.  The Cabinet member responded that the County Council continues to face unprecedented demands on its budget, the majority of which is needed to provide statutory services to both adults and children so savings are required to fund this work.  Only a very small percentage of the Council Tax is used to fund highway work.

25/19

LOCAL COMMITTEE COMMUNITY SAFETY FUNDING [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 85 KB

    The local committee has a delegated budget of £3,000 for community safety projects in 2019/20. This report sets out the process by which this funding should be allocated to the Community Safety Partnership and/or other local community organisations that promote the safety and wellbeing of residents.

    Decision:

    That the Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed:

     

    (i)       The committee’s delegated community safety budget of £3,000 for 2019/20 be retained by the Community Partnership Team, on behalf of the Local Committee, and that the Community Safety Partnership and/or other local organisations be invited to submit proposals for funding that meet the criteria and principles set out at paragraph 2.4 of this report.

    (ii)      Authority be delegated to the Community Safety Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the local committee, to authorise the expenditure of the community safety budget in accordance with the criteria and principles stated at paragraph 2.4 of this report.

    (iii)    The committee receives updates on the project(s) funded, the outcomes and the impact it has achieved.

     

    Reasons:  The report sets out a process for allocating the committee’s delegated community safety budget of £3,000 to local organisations.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: None

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    None

     

    Resolved: that

     

    (i)       The committee’s delegated community safety budget of £3,000 for 2019/20 be retained by the Community Partnership Team, on behalf of the Local Committee, and that the Community Safety Partnership and/or other local organisations be invited to submit proposals for funding that meet the criteria and principles set out at paragraph 2.4 of this report.

    (ii)      Authority be delegated to the Community Safety Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the local committee, to authorise the expenditure of the community safety budget in accordance with the criteria and principles stated at paragraph 2.4 of this report.

    (iii)    The committee receives updates on the project(s) funded, the outcomes and the impact it has achieved.

     

    Reasons:  The report sets out a process for allocating the committee’s delegated community safety budget of £3,000 to local organisations.

26/19

REPRESENTATION ON EXTERNAL BODIES [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 105 KB

    This report seeks the approval of Local Committee to the appointment of representatives to external bodies.

     

    Decision:

    That the Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed:

     

    That County Councillor Bernie Muir be appointed as the Committee’s representative on  the East Surrey Community Safety Partnership.

     

    Reasons:  The appointment of councillors on the Local Committee to external bodies enables the committee’s representation on and input to such bodies.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nicola Morris, Partnership Committee Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    None

     

    Resolved:

     

    That County Councillor Bernie Muir be appointed as the Committee’s representative on  the East Surrey Community Safety Partnership.

     

    Reasons:  The appointment of councillors on the Local Committee to external bodies enables the committee’s representation on and input to such bodies.

27/19

LOCAL COMMITTEE DECISION TRACKER [FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 71 KB

    This item provides an update on previous decisions and actions agreed by the Committee.  The Committee is asked to agree that the items marked as complete are removed from the tracker.

    Minutes:

    The Committee noted the progress made with items in the tracker and agreed that those marked as complete could be removed, with the exception of the item relating to the Edge Youth Centre as Cllr Mason did not feel she had had a discussion regarding the way forward.

28/19

FORWARD PLAN [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 48 KB

29/19

DATE OF NEXT MEETING