Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Epsom and Ewell Local Committee
Monday, 16 September 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Bourne Hall, Spring Street, Ewell KT17 1UF

Contact: Nicola Morris, Partnership Committee Officer  Surrey County Council, Community Partnerships & Safety Team, Epsom Town Hall (2nd floor), Epsom, KT18 5BY

Items
No. Item

OPEN FORUM QUESTIONS & RESPONSES pdf icon PDF 64 KB

The questions asked in the open forum and the responses provided are attached to the minutes.

30/19

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTIONS

    To receive any apologies for absence and notices of substitutions from Borough members under Standing Order 39.

    Minutes:

    Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs Steve Bridger and Debbie Monksfield.  Cllrs Phil Neale and Kate Chinn substituted for the respective councillors.

31/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)               Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)              Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    Bernie Muir declared a personal prejudicial interest in item 8 as a resident of St Margaret Drive.

32/19

CHAIRMAN'S BUSINESS

    The Chairman will update the Committee on any current issues.

    Minutes:

    The Chairman reported that the County Council had secured funding for the planting of 1.2m trees and would be working with RHS Wisley to find appropriate species.

     

    Noted that the Local/Joint Committee Chairmen had asked SCC to work more closely with members on the highway implications of large planning applications.

33/19

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS AND STATEMENTS pdf icon PDF 1 MB

    To answer any questions or receive a statement from any member of the public who lives, works or studies in the Surrey County Council area in accordance with Standing Order 69.  Notice should be given in writing or by e-mail to the  Partnership Committee Officer at least by noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    23 public questions and statements were received.  The questions and responses are set out in the supplementary agenda.  The following supplementary questions were asked:

     

    Question 2: How will the safety of residents on the Abelea Green estate be ensured, when access by emergency vehicles is often required.  Officers responded that they are satisfied that access to the estate can be maintained in an emergency.

     

    Question 8:  The Air Quality Management Action Plan for Ewell Village has recommended the removal of parking in the area to improve air quality.  Can this be considered when considering the parking proposals for the Abelea Green area?

     

    Question 15:  Many of the parents driving to  St Joseph’s School are from outside the Borough.  Will the Committee agree to cut back on parking to reduce the reliance on cars?

     

    Question 18:  The questioner asked for next steps and timescales.  The Chairman responded that the vegetation had already been trimmed as far as it could be as part of it is on private property and signs have been installed at the top of the hill.

     

    Question 19:  Could this location be added to the Committee list for consideration of traffic calming?  It is unlikely at the present time that the Committee would have sufficient funding to prioritise work at this location.

     

    Question 20:  Is there a date for the gas works in East Street?  SCC is not aware of a date currently but only 3 months’ notice is required.

     

    Question 21:  Whether work can be prioritised in this location will depend on the Committee’s budget for the next financial year.

34/19

PETITIONS [FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 80 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68.

     

    One petition has been received and the officer response is attached

     

    Request for traffic calming in Danetree and Poole Roads

     

    Lead petitioner: Ben Grosvenor   Signatures: 181

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: One petition, petitioner not present

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    The Committee noted that the county council’s Safer Travel Team will investigate concerns raised by the petition using the Road Safety Outside Schools Policy.  The outcome of the safety assessment will be reported to the school and local County Councillor, containing the results of the road safety education assessment and a description of any recommended potential highway improvements and measures to encourage more sustainable travel.  Members asked that any recommendations for improvements should have estimated costs attached.

35/19

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 99 KB

36/19

MEMBER QUESTION TIME pdf icon PDF 63 KB

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.   Notice should be given in writing to the Partnership Committee Officer by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    One member question was received.  The question and response was published in the supplementary agenda.

37/19

EPSOM AND EWELL PARKING REVIEW (PHASE 12) [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 82 KB

    To consider requests that have been received for either the introduction of new parking restrictions or changes to existing restrictions at various sites in Epsom and Ewell.

     

    Since the introduction of Decriminalised Parking Enforcement (DPE) in May 2005, new parking / waiting restrictions in Epsom and Ewell have been introduced in eleven phases, with the most recent being implemented through 2019.

     

    This report details locations and general proposals for the Phase 12 parking / waiting restriction review, to be progressed in 2019 and seeks approval to carry out statutory consultation on the proposals.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    That the Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed:

     

    (i)       To advertise all the proposals outlined in Annexe 1 of the report, subject to the following amendments and additions:

     

           That the proposals to split the Zone M residents parking area and change the hours as set out in the petition submitted by residents be added to the review;

           That double yellow lines at the junction of Sunnymede Avenue and Riverhome Drive to improve sight lines be added to the review;

    Map 21 Orchard Close should read Carnforth Close;

           Maps 27 and 34 road names to be checked and corrected if necessary;

           Map 30 Queensmead Avenue to extend the one hour restriction to Sheer Avenue

           Maps 36/37 and 38 junction protection lines to be longer than the statutory minimum;

           Map 55 – disabled bay/s to be advertised in Castle Road in the vicinity of number 14;

           Map 59 – to advertise restrictions in the spaces not currently included at the top of the Lynwood Road;

     

           Maps 62/63 – restrictions to be added outside number 14 Milburn Walk.  Two unrestricted spaces to be left outside number 7 Milburn Walk, proposals to be changed to make parking on alternate sides in Walnut Close as in the adjacent roads if residents agree;

          

    (ii)      That the committee contribute £18,000 funding towards the proposals in Annex 1 from the 2018/2019 parking surplus.

    (iii) That the committee contribute £12,000 funding towards the proposals shown in Annex 1 for a verge parking ban, from the 2019/2020 parking surplus and the amendments to Zone M as outlined above also be funded from next year’s budget, subject to their agreement.

    (iv) That the County Council’s intention to make an order under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 be advertised and, if no objections are maintained, the order be made;

    (v)   That if objections are received the Parking Strategy and Implementation Group Manager is authorised to try and resolve them, in consultation with the Chairman / Vice Chairman of this committee and the county councillor for the division, and decides whether or not they should be acceded to and therefore whether the order should be made, with or without modifications.  The decision in relation to maps 68 and 70 to be brought back to a future meeting of the Committee

     

    Reasons: Changes to the highway network, the built environment and society mean that parking behaviour changes and consequently it is necessary for a Highway Authority to carry out regular reviews of waiting and parking restrictions on the highway network.

     

    It is recommended that the waiting restrictions in this report are progressed as they

    will help to:

    ·        Improve road safety

    ·        Increase access for emergency vehicles

    ·        improve access to shops, facilities and businesses

    ·        Increase access for refuse vehicles, buses and service vehicles

    ·        Reduce traffic congestion

    ·        Better regulate parking

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: Bernie Muir declared a prejudicial interest as a resident of St Margaret Drive and left the meeting during the consideration of the proposals in that area.

     

    Officers attending: Steve Clavey, Parking Engineer; Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: Questions had been considered in the open forum and in Item 4

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    Noted the amendments to the report published in the supplementary agenda.

     

    Members agreed to the changes to the Zone M resident parking area discussed in the open forum.  Although they will be advertised this year if they are agreed implementation will be in the following financial year as there is insufficient funding available in the current year.  The Committee also agreed the amendments and additions outlined below.  Noted that it is not possible to apply a three hour limit for the use by disabled drivers of residents bays in The Parade.

     

    In relation to the proposals for Abelea Green, the Chairman who is the divisional member stated that she did not feel that they would help in accessing the School and that the proposals included for White Horse Drive would be safer and more effective.  A walking bus could be established from White Horse Drive and young children would not have to walk along the main road to access the School.  All residents of the Abelea Green estate except three are opposed to the proposals and this has been confirmed by a petition which has been received.  However there is an opposing petition from the School seeking the relaxation of parking restrictions in Abelea Green.

     

    The Area Highways Manager reported that providing improved facilities for parents to drop off and collect their children by car from St Joseph’s School could encourage more parents to drive.  If the proposals for White Horse Drive do not result in any further parents driving and the commuters currently displaced from this area decide to use sustainable transport methods it could be a sustainable option but this may not be the case.  He considered that the situation at the School was similar to many others in the County and asked what the Committee hoped to achieve.

     

    Many members felt that the Committee should not be encouraging more vehicles into the Borough by making parking easier.  Others felt that all options should be explored and that they should be advertised in order to get as wide a range of views as possible, including the residents of both White Horse Drive and Rosebank.  It was suggested that there could be a case for independent mediation between the school, parents and residents to try and find an acceptable solution to the issues in accessing St Joseph’s School.  It was considered that there were other options that the school could explore to make a difference such as car sharing or minibus transport. 

     

    On a vote in relation to map 68 there were 7 votes FOR including the proposals in the advertisement and 2 AGAINST.  In relation to map 70 there  ...  view the full minutes text for item 37/19

38/19

HIGHWAYS UPDATE [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 280 KB

    This report summarises progress with the Local Committee’s programme of Highways works for the current Financial Year 2019-20.

     

    Committee is asked to agree the strategy for allocation of Local Committee budgets for next Financial Year 2020-21.

    Decision:

    That the Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed:

     

    (i)       To approve the provisional allocation of assumed budgets for 2020-21 as shown in Table 3 of the report;

    (ii)      On a vote [9 votes FOR to 1 AGAINST] to confirm the decision to construct the cycle way in Waterloo Road;

    (ii)   Authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

     

    Reasons: 

     

    Recommendations are made to facilitate development of Committee’s 2019-20

    Highways programmes, while at the same time ensuring that the Chairman, Vice

    Chairman and relevant Divisional Members are fully and appropriately involved in

    any detailed considerations.

     

    Committee is asked to provide the necessary authorisation to deliver those

    programmes of work in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant

    Divisional Member without the need to revert to the Committee as a whole.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    In relation to the planting of more trees as announced earlier in the meeting, a member asked where the trees will be planted and when the new policy on planting highway trees would be published.  The Area Highways Manager indicated that he would be drafting the policy and a very small proportion of the trees will be planted in the highway as there is little scope for changing the current requirements around pavement widths and the avoidance of utilities.  The team are working with RHS Wisley to consider whether there are any woody shrubs which may be suitable for verge planting, but these may require more maintenance.

     

    The Area Highways Manger indicated that the CIL funding allocated to the Borough will be used to provide additional cycle facilities, any money allocated for tree planting will be returned as there is insufficient space.

     

    Noted in Table 4 that the extension of the street lighting is in the path connecting to West Street and that the report should be amended.

     

    Members discussed the Waterloo Road proposals and the Area Highways Manager confirmed that there is no requirement to move the bus stop in order to construct the cycle way.

     

    Members requested frequent and regular updates on the progress with projects and spend within their divisions.

     

    Members discussed the response to the member question in item 7.  They felt that it was unacceptable for the bus to stay in this town centre location, other than to pick up and drop off passengers, as it is causing delays to drivers as well as emergency vehicles.  They requested that the appropriate officers attend the next informal meeting with a solution which can be implemented in the next few months.

     

    Resolved:

     

    (i)       To approve the provisional allocation of assumed budgets for 2020-21 as shown in Table 3 of the report;

    (ii)      On a vote [9 votes FOR to 1 AGAINST] to confirm the decision to construct the cycle way in Waterloo Road;

    (ii)   Authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

     

    Reasons: 

     

    Recommendations are made to facilitate development of Committee’s 2019-20

    Highways programmes, while at the same time ensuring that the Chairman, Vice

    Chairman and relevant Divisional Members are fully and appropriately involved in

    any detailed considerations.

     

    Committee is asked to provide the necessary authorisation to deliver those

    programmes of work in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant

    Divisional Member without the need to revert to the Committee as a whole.

39/19

LOCAL COMMITTEE DECISION TRACKER [FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 78 KB

    This item provides an update on previous decisions and actions agreed by the Committee.  The Committee is asked to agree that the items marked as complete are removed from the tracker.

    Minutes:

    Members requested further information on the issue arising from the last parking review which had been referred to solicitors.

     

    Members were unhappy that the question asked by Cllr Mason in relation to the Edge Youth Centre had not been resolved and felt that she deserved an apology.  An update on youth services would be provided to the next informal meeting.  In the meantime it was reported that Surrey Clubs for Young People are interested in providing services from the Edge and arrangements are being discussed.

     

    The Chairman thanked all the officers working for the Committee for their hard work.

40/19

FORWARD PLAN [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 47 KB

41/19

DATE OF NEXT MEETING