Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Epsom and Ewell Local Committee
Monday, 9 December 2019 2.00 pm

Venue: Bourne Hall, Spring Street, Ewell KT17 1UF

Contact: Nicola Morris, Partnership Committee Officer  Surrey County Council, Community Partnerships & Safety Team, Epsom Town Hall (2nd floor), Epsom, KT18 5BY

Items
No. Item

OPEN FORUM pdf icon PDF 55 KB

The questions asked in the open forum and the responses provided are

attached to the minutes.

42/19

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTIONS

43/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)               Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)              Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    There were no declarations of interest.

44/19

CHAIRMAN'S BUSINESS

45/19

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS AND STATEMENTS pdf icon PDF 4 MB

    To answer any questions or receive a statement from any member of the public who lives, works or studies in the Surrey County Council area in accordance with Standing Order 69.  Notice should be given in writing or by e-mail to the  Partnership Committee Officer at least by noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    12 written public questions had been received.  The questions and responses are set out in the supplementary agenda.  The following additional points were made:

     

    Question 1:  The questioner stated that correspondence with the police had indicated that they would be prepared to carry out a speed survey.  Does the Committee agree that this issue needs to be addressed and what can be done to address the noise issue? 

     

    The Area Highway Manager responded that it would be best to consider the data before considering whether there is any further action which can be taken.  It is not uncommon for drivers to exceed the speed limit to some degree, but a lot depends on the extent and whether there is a history of speed related casualties.  There is a limit to what can be done to reduce noise levels and it would be unusual for the Committee to promote a scheme based on noise alone.

     

    Question 2:  Cllr Frost asked whether the co-ordination of the signals at the Spread Eagle with those at Ashley Avenue could be reviewed as currently traffic is being held on red when the road ahead is empty.  The Area Highways Team Manager agreed to pass this to the signals team.

     

    Question 3:  Members hoped that a yellow box would be possible.

     

    Question 4:  The questioner was not present.  Cllr Kington asked where the best practice guidelines come from, why other councils do not comply with them and why those trees being felled are not replaced.

     

    The Area Highways Manager acknowledged that there is a demand to plant more trees.  There are national guidelines on the clearances required by utility companies and the Manual for Streets 2 sets out the requirements for access for the disabled on pavements which has already been relaxed to 1.6m.  All councils are bound by the same guidelines.  London authorities have significantly higher budgets for maintenance which may assist in making locations more suitable but it is difficult to get trees to thrive in an urban environment.  It would be possible to pay for the relocation of utility services but this would be very expensive.

     

    Question 12:  The questioner stated that slow moving traffic creates hazardous emissions.  The Abelea Green area is part of the solution to this issue.  He asked that the Committee consider the latest pollution data and not make the situation worse by permitting parking in this area.

46/19

PETITIONS pdf icon PDF 784 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68.

     

    One petition has been received and the officer response is attached.

     

    Request to reduce the speed limit of Chalk Lane, Worple Road & Woodcote End from 30 to 20 miles per hour, install better signage which clearly conveys how the lane should be used as well as implement enforcement measures on the lane to ensure that drivers comply with the speed limit and existing one-way system.

     

    Lead petitioner: Alex Dean               Signatures: 104

    Decision:

    That the Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed to include a scheme on the prioritisation list for consideration in a future highway programme.

     

    Reasons:  To consider measures to address the issues identified in the petition and to evaluate them against other priorities for funding from the Committee’s available budget.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: One petition, petitioner not present

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    Members were concerned that there are a number of potential schemes for consideration across the Borough and that traffic calming is likely to be beyond the scope of Committee funding.  It could be many years before any substantial work could be done, but it was considered that it may be possible to make some small changes at a lesser cost which could be funded from the divisional members budget and these should be considered.

     

    Resolved: to include a scheme on the prioritisation list for consideration in a future highway programme.

     

    Reasons:  To consider measures to address the issues identified in the petition and to evaluate them against other priorities for funding from the Committee’s available budget.

47/19

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 89 KB

48/19

MEMBER QUESTION TIME pdf icon PDF 67 KB

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.   Notice should be given in writing to the Partnership Committee Officer by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    One member question had been received.  The question and response are set out in the supplementary agenda.  The following additional comments were made:

     

    Cllr Kington was disappointed with the response and felt that his points had not been addressed.  He wished for officers to consider ways in which more tree planting could be achieved rather than putting obstacles in place.  He pointed out examples of trees being planted very close to kerbs in London.

     

    The Area Highways Manager responded that the example of the tree shown in London could be obstructing the footway and that there was potential for challenge and that the tree was unlikely to thrive in such a location.  The team are trying to be flexible within the constraints and will be looking at more shrubby plants which will have less impact on utilities.  They have engaged with a number of stakeholders in formulating the Surrey policy.  He agreed to circulate the list of trees to be planted in Epsom & Ewell to members.

49/19

ROAD SAFETY OUTSIDE DANETREE PRIMARY SCHOOL [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 691 KB

    A petition with 181 signatures was submitted to the Committee on the 16 September 2019 expressing concern for safety of children arriving and leaving Danetree School.  This report outlines investigations into the nature and extent of the concerns, and possible highway and road safety education improvements to reduce them. These have been developed in accordance with the County Council’s Road Safety Outside Schools policy.

    Decision:

    That the Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed:

     

    (i)    the measures set out in paragraph 3.2 of this report be added to the list of possible future highway improvements in Epsom and Ewell for consideration for future Local Committee funding. Officers will also seek any alternative sources of funding that may arise, for example as a result of property development in the local area.

    (ii)   that the Safer Travel Team will work with the school to encourage them to take up more of the road safety education and training activities offered by the county council, this will include a Modeshift STARS school travel plan and “Pedals” Year 2 (age 6/7) Scooter and bicycle training.

    Reasons:  These proposed highway measures would improve the safety of pupils walking to and from Danetree School and help to reduce antisocial parking.  They would reduce the risk of collisions and improve the road environment to encourage more walking and scooting to school. A successful increase in these modes would contribute to fewer car journeys and less motor vehicle congestion. However the measures at this site would need to be considered alongside other schemes across Epsom and Ewell. The recommended school travel plan and road safety education improvements would also help to improve road safety and reduce reliance on the car for the school journey.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    It was queried whether the School is complying with the requirements of its planning permission in terms of its travel plan.

     

    The Area Highways Manager stated that all the proposals put forward have some merit but they could be implemented individually.  The divisional member although not present was supportive of the proposals.

     

    Members were concerned at the number of schemes being considered for prioritisation when the available budget is small and it was proposed that “prioritisation” should be deleted from the recommendation.  This was supported unanimously.

     

    Resolved: To agree:

     

    (i)    the measures set out in paragraph 3.2 of this report be added to the list of possible future highway improvements in Epsom and Ewell for consideration for future Local Committee funding. Officers will also seek any alternative sources of funding that may arise, for example as a result of property development in the local area.

    (ii)   that the Safer Travel Team will work with the school to encourage them to take up more of the road safety education and training activities offered by the county council, this will include a Modeshift STARS school travel plan and “Pedals” Year 2 (age 6/7) Scooter and bicycle training.

    Reasons:  These proposed highway measures would improve the safety of pupils walking to and from Danetree School and help to reduce antisocial parking.  They would reduce the risk of collisions and improve the road environment to encourage more walking and scooting to school. A successful increase in these modes would contribute to fewer car journeys and less motor vehicle congestion. However the measures at this site would need to be considered alongside other schemes across Epsom and Ewell. The recommended school travel plan and road safety education improvements would also help to improve road safety and reduce reliance on the car for the school journey.

50/19

COMMUNITY PROTECTION GROUP UPDATE [SERVICE MONITORING AND ISSUES OF LOCAL CONCERN] pdf icon PDF 1 MB

51/19

HIGHWAYS UPDATE [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 399 KB

    This report summarises progress with the Local Committee’s programme of Highways works for the current Financial Year 2019-20.

     

    Members are asked to work with Officers to identify priorities for Committee’s investment programmes for next Financial Year 2020-21.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

     

    That the Local Committee [Epsom & Ewell] agreed to:

     

    (i)    approve the recommended capital ITS programme for next Financial Year 2020-21 as detailed in Table 5;

    (ii)   approve a minor amendment to the Epsom and Ewell parking review, to reduce the length of a parking bay to facilitate the widening of a dropped kerb outside no. 125 Hookfield Road, Epsom, as shown in Annex D;
     

    (iii)  Authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

    Reasons:  Recommendations are made to facilitate development of Committee’s 2019-20 Highways programmes, and to make one minor amendment to this year’s parking review, while at the same time ensuring that the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Members are fully and appropriately involved in any detailed considerations.

     

    Committee is asked to provide the necessary authorisation to deliver those programmes of work in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Member without the need to revert to the Committee as a whole.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Area Highways Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None

     

    Member discussion –key points

     

    The Divisional member was happy to defer the Stoneleigh Park Road scheme in his division on cost grounds.

     

    It was noted that the feedback and options for the scheme near Aldi would be discussed with the divisional member but it may not be possible to deliver it without additional external funding.

     

    It was agreed that possible schemes for delivery and new feasibility studies will be considered at an informal meeting as there is insufficient budget available to take them all forward and decisions will need to be taken on which are priorities.  Those put forward will be brought to the March meeting for confirmation.

     

    Resolved: to

     

    (i)    approve the recommended capital ITS programme for next Financial Year 2020-21 as detailed in Table 5;

    (ii)   approve a minor amendment to the Epsom and Ewell parking review, to reduce the length of a parking bay to facilitate the widening of a dropped kerb outside no. 125 Hookfield Road, Epsom, as shown in Annex D;
     

    (iii)  Authorise the Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and relevant Divisional Member(s) to undertake all necessary procedures to deliver the agreed programmes.

    Reasons:  Recommendations are made to facilitate development of Committee’s 2019-20 Highways programmes, and to make one minor amendment to this year’s parking review, while at the same time ensuring that the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Members are fully and appropriately involved in any detailed considerations.

     

    Committee is asked to provide the necessary authorisation to deliver those programmes of work in consultation with the Chairman, Vice Chairman and relevant Divisional Member without the need to revert to the Committee as a whole.

52/19

LOCAL COMMITTEE DECISION TRACKER [FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 77 KB

    This item provides an update on previous decisions and actions agreed by the Committee.  The Committee is asked to agree that the items marked as complete are removed from the tracker.

    Minutes:

    Noted progress and agreed to remove those actions marked as closed.

53/19

FORWARD PLAN [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 48 KB

54/19

DATE OF NEXT MEETING