Agenda and minutes

Surrey Police and Crime Panel
Wednesday, 18 May 2016 10.30 am

Venue: Ashcombe Suite, County Hall, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey KT1 2DN

Contact: Huma Younis or Sharmina Ullah 

Webcast: View the webcast

Items
No. Item

16/16

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

17/16

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 215 KB

    To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 4 February 2016 as a correct record.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    A Panel member asked if the actions/further information have been provided regarding the current powers of PCSOs had been sent to the Panel.

     

    The Chairman informed the Panel this information was provided and circulated via email.

18/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

19/16

PUBLIC QUESTIONS

    To receive any public questions.

     

    Note:

    Written questions from the public can be submitted no later than seven days prior to the published date of the annual or any ordinary public meeting, for which the Commissioner will be invited to provide a written response by noon on the day before the meeting, which will be circulated to Panel Members and the questioner.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Panel did not receive any public questions.

     

20/16

CO-OPTION OF AN INDEPENDENT MEMBER TO THE SURREY POLICE AND CRIME PANEL pdf icon PDF 59 KB

    This report sets out the process that has been followed in order to co-opt an independent member onto the Surrey Police and Crime Panel and to recommend appointment to this position.

     

    Report to follow

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Recommendation:

     

    • The Panel agreed the appointment of Mr David Fitzpatrick-Grimes as the new independent co-opted member of the Surrey Police and Crime Panel for a four year term.

     

21/16

INTRODUCTION FROM THE NEW SURREY POLICE AND CRIME COMMISSIONER

    Elections for a Police and Crime Commissioner for Surrey were held on 5 May 2016. The Panel will receive a formal introduction from the new elected Commissioner, David Munro.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1.    The new Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) gave a formal introduction to the Panel and an update on his future plans. The PCC paid tribute to the other candidates in the election, in particular he thanked his predecessor, Kevin Hurley.

     

    2.    The PCC explained that he looked forward to contributing and leading policing in Surrey, key to that would be his relationship with the future Chief Constable. The PCC informed the Panel the recruitment process for the future Chief Constable was well underway, in the meantime those in post in the Force’s senior leadership team will continue in their roles.

     

    3.    The PCC stated the underlying objective for the next four years is to make Surrey Police the best Police Service in the country. The PCC paid further tribute to Surrey Police Officers and Surrey Police staff for their hard work, professionalism and dedication.

     

    4.    The PCC introduced his six point crime plan to the Panel. The Police and Crime plan will follow the PCC’s campaign manifesto. The PCC gave a summary on each point.

    ·         Cutting Crime and Keeping Surrey Safe-

    ·         Tackling Rural Crime

    ·         Making Our Town Centres Safe

    ·         Supporting Victims

    ·         Making Every Pound Count

    ·         Tackling the Threat of Terrorism

    5.    The PCC believed that Surrey residents are well served by the plans and the resources in place regarding terrorism. This was a key priority for the PCC. The PCC raised a concern about sensitive information being released into the public domain and informed the Panel that he would make sure that sensitive information was kept out of the public domain.

    6.     A member of the Panel expressed concern with the Police moving resources towards cyber crime and away from the concerns raised by residents. The PCC stated that emerging crimes like cyber crime, do not require overt physical presence but are still a major threat to our community. The PCC explained that a balance between emerging crimes and residents concerns needed to be reached.  The PCC explained that his plan would need to align and refocus with Surrey Police’s operational plan to ensure Surrey Police are more responsive.

    7.    A Panel member emphasised key concerns around the withdrawal and absence of PCSO’s across the county and the lack of police funding for CCTV in Runnymede. The PCC noted the importance of CCTV and said he would look into this matter. The PCC made reference to the Policing in your neighbourhood programme (PIYN), and was aware and concerned about the strain and stress on officers involved. The PCC notified the Panel that the programme will need a review certainly in terms of assessing whether the objectives of the programme have been met.

    8.    A Panel member stated that the Joint Enforcement Team (JET) programme was working well across the county and asked whether the PCC would support introducing this in Guildford. In addition the Panel Member queried the PCC’s views on the £100,000 capital expenditure available as stated by the previous PCC and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 21/16

22/16

HMIC INSPECTION REPORTS pdf icon PDF 126 KB

    HMIC published in February 2016 its final PEEL assessment reports for all police forces and its annual national assessment of policing. The following report highlights the assessment results for Surrey Police in the areas of effectiveness, efficiency and legitimacy.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1.    The PCC stated that he had key concerns around the support to vulnerable victims of crime, however the PCC was pleased with the legitimacy aspect of the PEEL assessment, as this was a  key concern for residents.

    2.    The PCC plans to meet with Zoe Billingham from HMIC to learn what inspection plans are in place for Surrey Police going forward. The PCC wants to ensure systems and procedures are in place to make Surrey a better place.

    Recommendations:

    The Panel noted the report and HMIC findings.

    Actions/ Further information to be provided:

    None

     

23/16

COMMUNITY SAFETY FUND 2015/16 pdf icon PDF 353 KB

    This report provides the Panel with an overview of how the Community Safety Fund was distributed in the financial year 2015/16.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1.    A member of the Panel flagged up the issue with funding being moved away from boroughs/districts/ Community Safety Partnerships (CSP’s) to the OPCC, making it increasingly difficult for boroughs/districts to operate without the resources. The PCC informed the Panel that he was not in a position to comment at this stage but assured the Panel the issue would be reviewed once the distribution of the community safety fund is discussed.

    2.    A Panel member asked for more clarification around the criteria that needs to be met in order to apply and receive grants from the community safety fund. The PCC stated that to date an independent panel had been used to advise on where the funding goes and he would discuss with officers how this operates going forward.

    3.    A member of the Panel asked for reassurance that the PCC will carefully consider the continuation of the grants with the Community Safety Partnerships. The PCC gave assurance to the Panel it would be carefully considered.

    4.    The Vice Chairman wanted to know whether the application process for community safety funding will change or remain the same. The Treasurer responded informing the Panel the system is currently the same but subject to change after review.

    5.    Members asked for clarification on what 'Private' represented when discussing how the community safety fund was distributed by organisation type (page 21 of agenda). The Chief Executive of the Office of the PCC informed the Panel that there was no immediate answer and the information will be relayed at a later date.

    Recommendations:

    The Panel noted the report.

    Actions/ Further information to be provided:

    ·         For the OPCC to provide the Panel with clarification on what 'Private' represents when discussing how the community safety fund is distributed by organisation type.

     

24/16

ENGAGEMENT REPORT 2015-16 pdf icon PDF 305 KB

    In the last 12 months, the Police and Crime Commissioner, with the assistance of the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner, has held 11 Crime Summits across the county in accordance with the fourth of the six People’s Priorities. This report summarises the work done for these events, as well as other engagement methods, the results, and recommendations for future events in 2016-17.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1.    The Chairman asked the PCC if there are future plans to hold Crime Summits, like previous years. The PCC noted that whilst he had no immediate plans to replicate the Crime Summits, engagement with residents was valuable and he is inclined to go out to schools, colleges, resident associations reaching out to more people. The PCC said he is open to suggestions on how to communicate better with residents and any future plans will be arranged once priorities have been agreed.

    2.    The Chairman put forward a suggestion that police officers should be encouraged to attend public meetings arranged by residents which would be hugely appreciated by the public.. The PCC noted this suggestion.

    3.    A member of the Panel advised the PCC that the chosen method of communication needs to be well advertised to the general public, to ensure residents engage. The Panel Member was impressed with Mole Valley’s periscope viewing numbers.  The PCC agreed, and assured the Panel every channel will be explored and used to its advantage.

    4.    A Panel member expressed concern with the Neighbourhood Watch software; highlighting the issue that no information was being received due to technology issues. This seemed to be a constant theme with some borough/districts. The Chief Executive informed the Panel the neighbourhood watch issue has been identified and is at the top of the force’s agenda.

    5.    A member of the Panel observed that the majority of attendees turning up to crime summits were mostly middle class and encouraged the PCC to reach a wider audience. The PCC agreed a wider audience needs to be reached but also took the opportunity to thank those who did attend. A Panel member emphasised that having the PCC, local inspector and council attend meetings was hugely popular with residents and a good opportunity to raise awareness. The Panel member encourages the PCC to have police engagement in these meetings so resident experiences could be heard. The PCC agreed and congratulated Surrey Heath for having the highest figures for participation.

    6.    The Vice Chairman explained that the Panel had some concerns around the use of twitter and stated that the Panel had high expectations of the PCC if he planned to use twitter going forward.. The PCC assured the Panel any use of social media will be used and conducted in a respectful manner.

     

     

    Recommendations:

    The Panel noted the report.

    Actions/ Further information to be provided:

    ·         For the OPCC to update the Panel on the changes being made to neighbourhood watch information sharing and software.

     

25/16

RECOMMENDATIONS TRACKER AND FORWARD WORK PROGRAMME pdf icon PDF 57 KB

    To review the Recommendations Tracker and Forward Work Programme.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1.    A member of the Panel asked when the Panel will be provided with the financial accounts. The Treasurer stated the deadline for end of year accounts is 30 June 2016. The accounts will be provided to the Panel ahead of the September Panel meeting. The OPCC would be happy to meet with the finance sub-group, ahead of the Panels September meeting to discuss in further detail.

    Recommendations:

    The Panel noted the tracker and forward work programme.

    Actions/ Further information to be provided:

    None

     

26/16

COMPLAINTS RECEIVED SINCE THE LAST MEETING pdf icon PDF 65 KB

    To note complaints against the Police and Crime Commissioner and the Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner received since the last meeting of the Police and Crime Panel.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1.    A member of the Panel asked for clarity regarding whether the complaints received from the last meeting were repetitive or individual complaints. The Chairman confirmed the complaints received were all individual separate complaints.

    Recommendations:

    The Panel noted the report.

    Actions/ Further information to be provided:

    None

     

27/16

DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 5 JULY 2016