Agenda and minutes

Surrey Police and Crime Panel
Tuesday, 12 September 2017 10.30 am

Venue: Ashcombe Suite, County Hall, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey KT1 2DN

Contact: Huma Younis or Sharmina Ullah 

Webcast: View the webcast

Items
No. Item

32/17

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

33/17

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 1019 KB

    To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 13 July 2017 as a correct record.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Key points raised during discussion:

     

    1.    It was noted that the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) was in the process of meeting with local district and borough representatives to determine the CCTV strategy going forward.

     

    2.    The Panel were informed that the PCC had recently met with the Cabinet Member for Highways, Colin Kemp to discuss parking enforcement in the County and ways of promoting better working relations between Surrey Police, SCC and districts and boroughs. It was further added that the PCC and Cabinet Member discussed ways of reinvigorating the Drive Smart Programme which is expected to relaunch later this year.

     

    3.    Members noted that a report on parking enforcement could be provided at the next Panel meeting.

     

    4.    The PCC acknowledged concerns regarding the service around keeping victims informed after a crime was reported and agreed work in this area required improvement.

     

    5.    Councillor Margaret Cooksey requested a revision to Item 25/17, paragraph one, for the last sentence to be reworded to report that Mole Valley endorsed the ‘In the Know’ community messaging system and were actively promoting information to reach residents.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    The minutes from the previous meeting held on 13 July 2017 were agreed by the Panel as a true and accurate record of the meeting.

     

    ACTIONS/FUTHER INFORMATION TO BE PROVIDED:

     

    Make revision to Item 25/17 as per Councillor Margaret Cooksey’s request.

     

34/17

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest

    ·         As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

    ·         Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    None were received.

35/17

PUBLIC QUESTIONS

    To receive any public questions.

     

    Note:

    Written questions from the public can be submitted no later than seven days prior to the published date of the annual or any ordinary public meeting, for which the Commissioner will be invited to provide a written response by noon on the day before the meeting, which will be circulated to Panel Members and the questioner.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    No public questions have been received.

36/17

BUDGET QUARTERLY UPDATE pdf icon PDF 534 KB

    For the Police and Crime Panel to consider the following finance reports,

     

    1.    Surrey Police Group financial report for month 4 financial year 2017/18

     

    2.    Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner Month 4 2017/18 financial report

     

    3.    Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner Month 4 2017/18 financial report – Appendix A

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Key points raised during discussion:

     

    1.    The Chief Finance Officer advised the Panel that the Surrey Police Group financial report for month 4, 2017/18 indicated an under spend of £4.93m with forecasts anticipating this figure to reduce to an under spend of £887k.

     

    2.    It was noted the reasons for any significant variances in the budget would follow from increasing establishment figures, costs for supplying information to the coroner service, restructuring the Management and Information department and IT expenditure.

     

    3.    It was further reported that the Central budget showed a saving of £3.724m which was primarily due to the reduced costs of hiring new recruits.

     

    4.    The Chief Finance Officer explained that the financial position based on the information provided showed no particular areas of concerns and careful monitoring would continue as the year progresses.

     

    5.    It was stated a report on the Sussex/Surrey Joint Finance Team would be available later on in the year as work was still in progress to develop the information required.

     

    6.    Members raised concerns with the over spend in relation to IT and on victim services opposed to investigating and preventing crime. It was explained an investigation was currently taking place to establish the reason for the large overspend in IT to determine what caused this and to initiate remedial action.

     

    7.    It was further added that the funds spent in victim services were provided by the Government. In the papers this figure is reported as an overspend but only because the funding has not been reimbursed as of yet.

     

    8.    The Chief Finance Officer explained that Operation Heather was not an investigation. The operation was as a result of the Coroner’s Service opening inquests resulting in Surrey Police having to respond to the Coroner’s Office with information.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    The Panel noted and commented on the budget updates.

     

    ACTIONS/FUTHER INFORMATION TO BE PROVIDED:

     

    None

     

37/17

PROGRESS AGAINST THE POLICE AND CRIME PLAN pdf icon PDF 301 KB

    The Panel are asked to consider progress made against the agreed Police and Crime Plan. The PCC has published a Police and Crime Plan for 2016 to 2020 based on the 6 manifesto pledges he made during his campaign to become PCC. This report provides an update on how the plan is being met.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Key points raised during the discussion:

     

    1.    The PCC reported that the new Joint Enforcement Team (JET) in Guildford was making progress and was keen to pursue discussions with other districts and boroughs in developing JET teams in the county.

     

    2.    It was noted that there had been an increase in traveller incursions across the county putting strain on district and boroughs. The PCC expressed the view that a better intelligence network was needed for tracking these incursions and making sure the Police used their powers within the law when responding in these circumstances.

     

    3.    The PCC further added that it was difficult to remove travellers from unauthorised encampments as there was a lack of transit camps in Surrey and was looking into the matter to reach long term solutions. Members supported the view that the provision of transit camps should be made available in the County and were advised the obligation fell on district and boroughs to coordinate this.

     

    4.    Members expressed the view that Surrey Police should show more visible presence with traveller unauthorised encampments however the PCC explained it was the council’s responsibility to attend to these incursions and Surrey Police would respond if a serious incident occurred.

     

    5.    It was noted that Runnymede Borough Council had obtained an injunction that protects public spaces in the Borough, allowing them to bypass the process in having to obtain a court order to remove travellers from unauthorised encampments on council owned land which had been successful.

     

    6.    The PCC informed the Panel as the Chairman of the Emergency Services Collaboration Programme he would like to ensure that progress continues in promoting blue light collaborations despite there being a lack of commitment from the police in Surrey and Sussex towards the future funding of the Programme Team that has supported this area of work.

     

    7.     Members raised concerns that the report showed a decline in performance in some areas.  The PCC noted that there were areas for improvement, but overall he felt that Surrey Police was performing well.  Certain increases could be deemed positive as it showed a confidence to report issues, and the Surrey picture needed to be set against the national context. 

     

    8.     It was further noted that Surrey Police were diverting resources from other areas to deal with crimes in particular the increase in burglaries that was being managed under operation ‘Spearhead’.

     

    9.    There was a discussion around victim satisfaction levels and members were informed that Assistant Chief Constable Nev Kemp would be leading in this area.

     

    10.  The PCC gave assurances that publicity would be provided in preparation for the new service to support victims of Anti-Social Behaviour launching on 26 October 2017 to help people tackle difficult situations.

     

    11.  Members raised concerns with recent performance on 101 calls and expressed the view crimes were not being reported due to people not being able to get through. The PCC noted this concern and assured the Panel that the 101 service would be monitored carefully to ensure  ...  view the full minutes text for item 37/17

38/17

GOVERNANCE OF FIRE AND RESCUE IN SURREY pdf icon PDF 103 KB

    This paper provides an update on the PCC’s project to consider the future governance of the Fire and Rescue service in Surrey.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Key points raised during discussion:

     

    1. The PCC informed the Panel that KPMG had been commissioned to carry out an options analysis on behalf of the PCC and a report with findings would be available in October.

     

    1. The Chairman suggested a report be provided to the Panel once KPMG completed their analysis.

     

    1. The PCC explained that the Panel had no influence over the final decision regarding fire governance although they could scrutinise the decision. Only the Home Secretary could accept or refuse the business case put forward for the future of the fire service.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    The Panel noted the report.

     

    ACTIONS/FUTHER INFORMATION TO BE PROVIDED:

     

    R9/17 – For the PCC to provide the Panel with results of the options analysis carried out by KPMG once completed.

     

39/17

FEEDBACK ON PERFORMANCE MEETINGS pdf icon PDF 104 KB

    This report provides an update on the meetings that have been held between the PCC and Chief Constable and what has been discussed in order to demonstrate that arrangements for good governance and scrutiny are in place.   

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Key points raised during discussion:

     

    1.    Members queried the PCC on the powers available to JET teams on parking and proposed an update report.

     

    2.    The PCC agreed to provide a report on highways enforcement (parking) for the next Police and Crime Panel meeting to address members questions.

     

    RESOLVED:

     

    The Panel noted the update on the PCC’s performance meeting.

     

    ACTIONS/FUTHER INFORMATION TO BE PROVIDED:

     

    R11/17 For the PCC to provide the Panel with a report on highways enforcement for the next meeting on 15 November 2017.

     

40/17

COMPLAINTS RECEIVED SINCE THE LAST MEETING pdf icon PDF 66 KB

41/17

ACTIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS TRACKER & FORWARD WORK PROGRAMME pdf icon PDF 53 KB

42/17

COMMISSIONER'S QUESTION TIME pdf icon PDF 101 KB

    The Panel is asked to raise any issues or queries concerning crime and policing in Surrey with the Commissioner.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Key points raised during discussion:

     

    1. It was noted that a project implementation review was underway to look at the vetting process for new police officers. The PCC advised this was a collaborative service between Surrey and Sussex and results were expected at the end of the month.

     

    1. Members raised concerns with health care services provided at Police stations for victims and offenders and how this was undertaken by the PCC as part of his responsibilities. The Chief Executive explained that all contracts were managed on a day to day basis on behalf of the PCC by Surrey Police.

     

    1. It was further added that despite retendering for the provision of health care for people in custody the duty remained with Surrey Police and details could be provided on the current arrangements in place. Members insisted that the PCC review 24/7 coverage of these services as it was reported that Surrey did not have this cover in place.

     

    1. Members asked the PCC to comment on the recent news publication about the Sussex Chief Constable and specifically his attitude to victims.  The PCC stated that he did not feel it was his place to comment on this news story and stated that Panel could raise this with the Surrey Chief Constable at the next Police and Crime Panel informal meeting.

     

     

    ACTIONS/FURTHER INFORMATION TO BE PROVIDED:

     

    R10/17 – For the PCC to provide the Panel with details regarding the current contract in place for the provision of healthcare in custody. To also include an update on the effectiveness of the current contract.

     

43/17

DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 15 NOVEMBER 2017

    The next meeting of the Panel will be held on: 15 November 2017

     

    This will be an informal meeting with the Chief Constable of Surrey Police and the PCC.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The next meeting of the Panel will be held on 15 November 2017.

     

    This will be an informal meeting with the Chief Constable of Surrey police and the PCC.