Agenda, decisions and minutes

Tandridge Local Committee
Friday, 7 March 2014 10.15 am

Venue: South Godstone Sports and Community Association, The Pavilion, Lagham Road, South Godstone. RH9 8HN

Contact: Michelle Starr, Community Partnership and Committee Officer  Tandridge District Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey, RH8 0BT

Items
No. Item

44/13

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

45/13

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 62 KB

46/13

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    To receive any declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests from Members in respect of any item to be considered at the meeting.

     

    Notes:

    ·        In line with the Relevant Authorities (Disclosable Pecuniary Interests) Regulations 2012, declarations may relate to the interest of the member, or the member’s spouse or civil partner, or a person with whom the member is living as husband or wife, or a person with whom the member is living as if they were civil partners and the member is aware they have the interest.

     

    ·        Members need only disclose interests not currently listed on the Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests.

     

    ·        Members must notify the Monitoring Officer of any interests disclosed at the meeting so they may be added to the Register.

     

    ·        Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest.

     

    Minutes:

    None received.

     

47/13

PETITIONS

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting. Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    One received from Limpsfield C of E Infant School requesting for the speed limit outside the school to be lowered to 20mph or 30mph.

    Response attached.

     

    Minutes:

    Limpsfield C of E Infant School submitted a petition; four of the children (the Geography Ambassadors for the school) and Sue Fraser (Year 2 teacher), presented the petition with over 175 signatures.
    The petition was requesting that the highways department consider reducing the speed limit outside of their school to 20mph or 30mph.
    The response of the Senior Highways Engineer (tabled at the meeting and attached to the minutes as Appendix A) was noted.

     

    Assurance was provided by the Senior Highways Engineer that the Highways Department had previously undertaken speed checks outside the school and signs were put in place as a result of this. However, the officer also continued that any change in speed limit would require the support and enforcement of the police.
    The Highways Department have agreed to assess the speed and count the traffic once more outside the school. Currently all of the A25 is being reviewed for speed and the team would be happy to update the school when they have more information on the surveys.

     

    The Chairman moved to the debate.

     

    The Vice Chairman thanked the children and the school for bringing this petition to the Local Committee.

     

48/13

FORMAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Tandridge District area in accordance with Standing Order 69. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

     

    Four questions received. Responses attached.

    Minutes:

    Four formal public questions were received. Written responses are attached to the minutes as Appendix B.

     

    Miss Mary Alston requested (on behalf of residents on Park Road) an action plan to be put in place to ensure that the park has sufficient drainage to cope with high levels of rainfall and that storms drains are regularly serviced and cleared.

     

    [Miss Alston asked a supplementary question; she wished to know what could be done to prevent the flooding happening again and whether any action has been taken to prevent this occurring again. The Senior Highways Engineer responded that the Queens Park recreation ground is managed by Tandridge District Council.

     

    Members discussion ensued regarding how best to work closer with Tandridge District Council on such issues. Currently there are 9,300 gullies in the district and therefore perhaps there is scope for funding extra gully cleaners.

     

    Members agreed that moving forward they hoped to improve the current situation (particularly in Whyteleafe) and to look at prevention. The Vice Chairman clarified that longer term solutions were due to be discussed at County Hall in the coming weeks.

     

    Due to the powers of delegation in budget given to members it has meant that there was local flexibility and that as a result the Local Committee has funded an extra gully cleaner previously.

     

    Members praised officers with regards to their work and response to the recent flooding crisis and commended Tandridge District Council and the Highways team for their work.

     

    It was agreed that more public consultation was required with residents and that lessons can always be learnt; also that utility companies need to be held accountable whereby no contingency plan is in place.

     

    £120million is the total pot of money allocated in order to fund flood works across the UK and £0.5m has been spent to date in Tandridge.

    The leader of the County Council confirmed that he had written to the Prime Minister and Secretary of State in order to highlight these issues and to request £2million over the next 3.5 years, as permanent dams may need to be created in Woldingham in order to prevent this scale of flooding occurring in future.

    Three major strategic points were identified as the Kenley Treatment Plant (which serves approximately 47,000 people) and the Gas and Electric works at the bottom of Woldingham; with the last two being situated at the same level as the Bourne.

     

    Mr and Mrs Viret asked whether the Local Committee knew of any plans for a parking review to take into account the impact of commuter parking on Hurst Green Road; a written response is attached to the minutes as Appendix B.

     

    Councillor Simon Morrow asked the Local Committee to confirm that pavements in Warlingham (Meadway, part of Farleigh Road and part of Limpsfield Road) would be repaired in 2014/15; a written response is attached to the minutes as Appendix B.

     

    Councillor Barbara Harling asked whether hedge cutting debris is cleared away at the time of the works being  ...  view the full minutes text for item 48/13

49/13

MEMBERS QUESTIONS

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.  Notice should be given in writing to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer of formal questions by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

     

    One received. Response attached.

     

     

    Minutes:

    One formal Member question was received. A written response is attached to the minutes as Appendix C.

     

    Mrs Sally Marks asked how communications can be improved between services and partners during events such as the Flooding crisis in Whyteleafe, in particular regarding closed roads and signage.

     

    Members engaged in discussion.

     

    [Mrs Marks asked that an adequate supply of signs and spare signs be available for these situations and that the process of creating new signs is sped up. Mrs Marks also paid tribute to all who have worked hard on this matter.]

     

    ·         Mr Hodge highlighted the work done by local farmers in the area who were alerted and worked with Surrey County Council during the storms and subsequent flooding.

     

    ·         In particular it was requested that a letter of thanks from the Local Committee members be sent to Mr Rodney Fuller.

     

    The Chairman of the local committee allowed public questions to be taken in the meeting at this point.

     

    One member of the public asked the local committee regarding the structural repair programme, in particular Amy Road which was initially scheduled for August 2013 and then delayed until January 2014 due to the flooding. The member of the public asked if the latest date of March 2014 was accurate or whether works had been delayed again.

     

    The Vice Chairman (as the divisional member for Amy Rd) confirmed that the works are due to be carried out and the highways team were aware, however they were currently committed to carrying out emergency repairs until the LSR scheme is carried out. He assured the questioner that it would be filled soon but had indeed been delayed due to the flooding.

     

    Councillor Lindsey Dunbar asked a question regarding parking and whether it was possible for the local committee to lobby Network Rail for a new layer of parking as the new housing estate will add to the congestion and difficulties that residents are already experiencing.

     

    Members agreed to take this up and asked Councillor Dunbar to write to Mr David Hodge and Mr Michael Sydney. Members also agreed to subsequently inform the Environment and Transport Department at County Hall.

     

    The Vice Chairman of the Local Committee also highlighted the increased problems in parking in Oxted also and the Local Committee Chairman agreed to also bring this up with the East Grinstead and Uckfield Train Group.

     

     

50/13

MEMBERS ALLOCATIONS SUMMARY [FOR INFORMATION ONLY] pdf icon PDF 239 KB

    Surrey County Council Councillors receive funding to spend on local projects that help to promote social, economic or environmental well-being in the neighbourhoods and communities of Surrey. This funding is known as Members’ Allocation.

     

    For the financial year 2013/14 the County Council has allocated £12,876revenue funding to each County Councillor and £35,000 capital funding to each Local Committee. This report provides an update on the projects that have been funded since May 2013 to date.

     

    Report and Annex 1 attached.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Sandra Brown, Community Partnerships Team Leader (East)

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements:

    Questions in relation to Member Allocations from the public audience were invited in this section:

     

    ·         A Local Committee attendee thanked members for support on several projects such as the YMCA and grit bins.

    ·         Councillor Barbara Harling asked when they would be receiving the new grit bins which the Senior Highways Engineer agreed to find out and get back to her.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

     

    ·         Members discussed the projects to be funded from the remaining 2013/14 Member’s Allocation budget, in particular the Whyteleafe Flood Appeal and the Duke of Edinburgh scheme which Mrs Sally Marks supported.

     

    ·         Members thanked the Community Partnerships Team (in particular the Local Support Assistant) for their efficiency and speed of processing of bids especially in the busy time leading up to the spending deadline. Although some applicants had IT issues they managed to get the bids in and processed before the deadline.

     

    ·         The Local Committee chairman agreed to send details to parish councils of a more cost effective option should they wish to purchase their own grit bins also.

     

    Resolution:

     

    The Committee NOTED the amounts that have been spent from the Members’ Allocation and Local Committee capital budgets, as set out in Annex 1 of the report submitted.

     

51/13

HIGHWAYS SCHEMES 2013/14 - END OF YEAR UPDATE [FOR INFORMATION ONLY] pdf icon PDF 143 KB

    To inform the Local Committee on the outcome of the 2013/14 Integrated Transport and highways maintenance schemes programmes in Tandridge. 

     

    Report and Annex 1 attached.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Anita Guy, Senior Highways Engineer, and Philippa Gates, Assistant Engineer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

     

    ·         Members expressed their concerns regarding the cost of continually repairing pot holes and discussed whether patching was a more effective method.

    ·         Mr David Hodge explained to the committee that a permit license is required for those who dig up the roads (for example, utility companies). This now ensures that the quality of utility repairs are up to par and that they are accountable and required to do the repairs again if not. Approximately 95% of repairs required on the roads are due to utility companies.

     

    ·         Members raised concerns regarding some patching methods used for pot holes and Mr John Orrick has written to members of cabinet regarding this. He continued that Croydon Council have a different method of patching using systems such as Jet Patch and therefore he has approached Mr John Furey regarding the matter and is awaiting a response.

     

    Resolution:

     

    The Committee NOTED the contents of the report.

     

52/13

OPERATION HORIZON - FIVE YEAR MAINTENANCE PLAN [FOR INFORMATION ONLY] pdf icon PDF 90 KB

    This report records the progress made in the first year of the 5-year carriageway investment maintenance programme, any changes to the year one programme and the success of the countywide Operation Horizon project to date. Progress of the supporting surface treatment programme of roads in Tandridge that have been carried out this financial year is also reported.

     

    It sets out the proposed Operation Horizon roads within Tandridge for the year two programme (financial year 2014/15), along with the remaining approved roads to be completed in years three to five (2015 – 2018).

     

    Report and Annex 1 attached.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Jane Young, Carriageway Team Leader

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements:

     

    Questions in relation to Operation Horizon from the public audience were invited in this section:

     

    ·         A question was received from a member of the public (Cllr Barbara Harling – Parish Councillor of Oxted South) regarding when works would be done in Pollards Oak Road, Pollards Oak Crescent, and Hurstlands.
    The Carriageway Team Leader responded that work had been programmed for between April and May and that they would get back to them with a more specific date.
    The Vice Chairman of the Local Committee confirmed that he had previously relayed the date to the Parish Council also.

    ·         A question was received from a member of the public (Cllr Dunbar) asking what the ‘Concrete Programme’ was.
    The Carriageway Team Leader responded that some of the older roads have a concrete base and therefore have to be treated differently as the tarmac laid on top has to be a different depth.
    While many of these roads are fine, some are breaking and need to have further assessments in order for a specialist contractor to address them.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

     

    ·         The Carriageway Team Leader (Jane Young) informed members that the recent flooding has had an impact on the programme of works and although they have been able to continue with some of the schemes they have had to reduce or delay others in some areas.

     

    ·         In response to members queries, the officer continued that heading south on the A22 (due to flooding), schemes have been rescheduled for April-June and the team have re-applied for permits in order to carry out the works.

     

    ·         Flood damage will be assessed when the water has receded and Operation Horizon will be taking this into account.

     

    ·         Members queried inconsistencies between the report they were given for the meeting and the previous year’s report. The Carriageway Team Leader agreed to check on these discrepancies which she believed to have been down to an administrative error.

     

    ·         Members enquired about Paynesfield Road; Thames water has been to look at it and have said it is not their responsibility.
    It was confirmed that a jetter had been brought in to jet the soakaway and so this should be resolved. There are also 5 days of work programmed there for the end of March.

     

    ·         Problems occurring with surface treatments failing on some roads and requiring repairs were highlighted and members discussed how to address this and whether it was something for Operation Horizon, or whether to contact David Cameron.

     

    ·         It was relayed that at least 6 miles of roads had so far been identified as damaged due to flood waters and once the water had receded, the rest of the roads could be assessed for damage too. Members questioned whether the roads should in fact be re-engineered also.

     

    ·         The Carriageway Team Leader informed members that they had applied for funding and cross referenced flooded roads. As a result, a bid has been submitted and once the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 52/13

53/13

ROAD SAFETY POLICY UPDATE [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION] pdf icon PDF 140 KB

    To present to the Local Committee a draft update to the County Council’s policy on setting local speed limits and a new draft policy to address road safety outside schools, including school crossing patrols.

     

    Report and Annexes A and B attached.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Duncan Knox, Road Safety Team Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements:

     

    Questions in relation to the Road Safety Policy from the public audience were invited in this section:

     

    ·         A question was received from a member of the public (Cllr Lindsey Dunbar) who asked whether the Road Safety Team could put markings by schools in order to designate the road a school area and as a more cost effective measure.
    The Road Safety Team Manager responded that sometimes this can be done along with signage if considered worthwhile.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:

     

    ·         Mr John Orrick highlighted that he was opposed to the 24/7 implementation of 20mph zone restrictions outside of schools as they cannot be enforced. He continued that motorists were more likely to comply with a restriction which was specified to be in operation during school hours only.
    The Road Safety Team Manager agreed that each site should be taken on its merits however and that when speeds have been measured outside of schools motorists are generally adhering to the speed limits and reducing their speeds accordingly at school times.

    ·         The Road Safety Team Manager gave the example of Mole Valley where they have installed ‘advisory’ signs. The team are due to do a follow up survey in order to see the outcome and whether they have had any effect and will feed back to the committee.
    The officer continued that generally traffic calming measures would work better than temporary (school time only) limits, however agreed that this was not possible across all sites.

     

    ·         Members discussed the petition received at the committee and noted that this was the only school in Surrey which was on a 40mph road (on the A25) and considered the statistics in the report showing the number of children injured per month outside schools over a 7 year period. They requested a copy of the petition be sent to the Road Safety Team Manager who agreed to look into the speed limit here.

     

    ·         Members discussed whether research had been done in relation to neighbouring/similar county councils to see how Surrey compares and how these new speed limits would be enforced if the police do not enforce it.

    The Road Safety Team Manager confirmed that national data had been published which can be used for comparison purposes. The team has also collected their own data for which there is no comparative data available however they do always keep abreast of the latest innovations and take on board best practice where appropriate to the site.

     

    ·         The team work closely with the police regarding enforcement of speed limits however the police are unable to enforce them at all times and this would be an impossible task in areas of narrow lanes where they cannot park. The officer continued that they consult the police at every stage.

     

    ·         Members asked Mr Duncan Knox to identify if there are any schools in Surrey which require the police to look at and enforce the limits (to reassure  ...  view the full minutes text for item 53/13

Appendix A pdf icon PDF 31 KB

Appendix B pdf icon PDF 43 KB

Appendix C pdf icon PDF 33 KB