Agenda, decisions and minutes

Tandridge Local Committee
Friday, 22 September 2017 10.15 am

Venue: Council Chamber, Tandridge District Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, RH8 0BT

Contact: Vicki Eade, Partnership Lead (East)  Tandridge District Council Offices, Station Road East, Oxted, Surrey, RH8 0BT

Items
No. Item

126/17

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

127/17

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 206 KB

    To approve the Minutes of the previous meeting as a correct record.

    Minutes:

    The minutes from the previous meeting on 23 June 2017 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

     

     

    In reference to 117/17 the Chairman wished for an update on HGV traffic for Chalkpit Quarry.  Cllr Fisher advised that Highways recognised that lorries cannot physically pass at points on the road as too narrow.  He argued that more lorries equates to a higher probability of them having to pass each other, with concerns over the route the lorries use to get to the quarry.  Cllr Fisher welcomed a meeting with the Environment Agency. 

     

128/17

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter:

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    Notes:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Minutes:

    Mr Chris Botten, declared a personal interest in Item 8, Burstow School as he is Chair of Governors.  Mr Botten did not consider this to be a prejudicial interest.

129/17

PETITIONS

130/17

FORMAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 34 KB

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Tandridge District area in accordance with Standing Order 69. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Partnership and Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    One public question had been received.  The response was provided in the supplementary papers.

     

    Mr Lemanski did not attend the meeting and did not submit a supplementary question.

     

     

131/17

MEMBERS QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 216 KB

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.  Notice should be given in writing to the Partnership and Committee Officer of formal questions by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    One Member Question was formally submitted.

     

    Cllr Simon Morrow raised a question regarding the condition of the pavement in Farleigh Road Warlingham.  He thanked Officers for their response but asked if this would be done in the foreseeable future? The Area Highways Manager advised that there are more requests than funding available, and pavements have been added to the Horizon programme for next year but future programmes are not yet set.  Pavements will still be inspected and will have any safety defects fixed until funding becomes available.  Divisional Member Mr David Hodge agreed with the Highways Manager advising that Surrey must make savings.  He is pushing for Government to use the volume and usage figures when allocating budgets as he feels Surrey have been allocated £8m less using the current formula. Mr Hodge urged all Surrey residents to write to their MP for fairer funding for Surrey. 

     

     

132/17

TANDRIDGE PARKING REVIEW (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 137 KB

    Each year Surrey Highways receives requests to change existing, or introduce new parking restrictions in Tandridge. For greater efficiency, these requests are compiled and reviewed in a district wide process.

     

    To progress the 2017/18 review, the committee is asked to approve statutory consultation for changes to on-street parking restrictions at the locations listed in the report annexes.

     

    (Report and 2 annexes attached).

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (TANDRIDGE):

         i)        AGREED the proposed changes to parking and waiting restrictions as shown in the revised Annex 1, in Annex 2, in paragraph 3.9 and the additional proposal for Chelsham Road, Warlingham as tabled at the meeting.

     

        ii)        AGREED that if necessary, adjustments can be made to the proposals agreed at the meeting, by the Parking Team Manager in consultation with the Chairman, Vice-Chairman and local Member prior to statutory consultation.

     

       iii)        AGREED that the intention of the County Council to make Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs) under the relevant parts of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 to impose the waiting and on street parking restrictions in Tandridge as shown in the Annexes (and as subsequently modified by ii) is advertised and that if no objections are maintained, the Order is made.

     

       iv)        AGREED that if there are unresolved objections, they will be dealt with in accordance with the county council’s scheme of delegation by the Parking Strategy and Implementation Team Manager, in consultation with the chairman/vice chairman of this committee and the appropriate county councillor.

     

        v)        AGREED that if necessary the Parking Team Manager will report the objections back to the local committee for resolution.

     

       vi)        Recommendation withdrawn

     

     

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: David Curl, Parking Strategy and Implementation Manager

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Officer presented the report, drawing the Committee’s attention to the revised recommendations and additional annex tabled at the meeting.  He informed the Committee that the report also contained the temporary parking restrictions for Oxted centre whilst Ellice Road car park works takes place to absorb the extra car parking.

     

    The Officer advised the consultation for the proposals would take place in December 2017/January 2018 and the responses would be collated and agreed with the County Councillor.

     

    The recommendations published with the agenda have been revised. Recommendation (vi) in the agenda has been withdrawn due to the funding no longer being required, as the cost can be spread over 2 financial years. Recommendation (i) was amended to allow for the inclusion of Chelsham Road, as per the tabled papers.

     

    Members Discussion – Key Points

     

    • In reference to Harrow Road, Warlingham, it was asked why the restriction was only on one side of the road. The Officer advised that is allows for two way traffic. If a restriction is put in on the footway side it forces drivers to park on the other side, which should keep the footway clear. The Divisional Member added that Harrow Road is linked with Chelsham Common as the Management Committee on the Great Park estate do not allow for vans to be parked overnight, forcing owners to park on the road. The footpath has recently been resurfaced and needs to be kept clear for residents’ safety. The Divisional Member asked if the District could do anything to stop new residential housing developments imposing restrictions for parking vans overnight as it puts issues on to the public highway. Cllr Martin Fisher confirmed he would take the concerns back to Tandridge District Council Planning and would be happy to facilitate a meeting between Highways at SCC and Planning at TDC.
    • A question regarding the timing of the consultation in the Oxted area was raised as Ellice road car park improvements are planned to commence in the Spring. The Officer advised that the changes should be straightforward to implement and was confident of meeting the car park timetable. It would not be necessary to come back to Committee for changes as the proposed recommendations allow for this. Surrey County Council and Tandridge District Council would work closely together to ensure the temporary restrictions are removed as soon as the car park becomes available. Cllr Fisher stated that the Committee fully supported the Officer, in terms of making any necessary changes to parking restrictions in Oxted that were needed as a result of the car park work. 
    • A Member raised concerns for residents in Amy Road, due to the garage parking cars along the road. The Officer advised that if residents demonstrated support for a permit parking scheme in Amy, Ellice and Beatrice Roads, proposals could be developed to be included in the December 2018  ...  view the full minutes text for item 132/17

Annex A- Revised recommendations pdf icon PDF 213 KB

Annex B - Drawing for Chelsham Rd, Chelsham Com, Harrow Rd, Ledgers Rd Warlingham pdf icon PDF 181 KB

133/17

ROAD SAFETY OUTSIDE SCHOOLS - BURSTOW PRIMARY SCHOOL (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 386 KB

    A petition was submitted to the Tandridge Local Committee on 9 December 2016 requesting an improvement to road safety on Wheelers Lane and Redehall Road, Smallfield following an accident which occurred outside of school hours. Since this petition was submitted there has been a subsequent accident in May 2017 involving a child from Burstow Primary School, this has obviously renewed concerns surrounding road safety of the children attending Burstow Primary School. This report makes recommendations for highway improvements and road safety education and training activities to try to tackle the problems identified. 

     

    (Report attached).

    Decision:

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

    (i)    NOTED the contents of the report;

    (ii)   AGREED that the measures set out in paragraph 3.1 of this report be added to the list of possible future highway improvements in Tandridge for prioritisation and consideration for future Local Committee funding;

    (iii)  SUPPORTED the proposal that external funding may be sought for the proposed highway improvements, for example via a bid to Tandridge District Council for  Community Infrastructure Levy funding; as and when CIL is available from local new housing and;

    (iv)AGREED that the Safer Travel Team work with Burstow Primary to take up more of the road safety education and training activities offered by the county council. 

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: Mr Chris Botten declared a personal but not prejudicial interest as Chair of Governors of Burstow Primary School.

     

    Officer attending: Rebecca Harrison, Safer Travel Team Manager. 

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Officer introduced the report and highlighted a number of key points to address local concerns around road safety around Burstow Primary School. 

     

    Members Discussion – Key Points

     

    ·         Mr David Hodge was happy to support the recommendations but proposed to add to an amendment to Recommendation (iii).  This was seconded by Cllr Martin Fisher.

    ·         There was some discussion as to whether or not funds raised from a development in the district could be put towards this project.

    ·         As Chair of Governors of the primary school, Mr Chris Botten thanked the team for their support and added that the school feel supported on this matter. 

    ·         A Member raised his concerns that St Peter and St Pauls School on Rook Lane in Chaldon is equally dangerous but the speed survey was pulled.  The Area Highways Manager advised that she appreciated the Members’ concern and referred the Committee to Annex 1 of the Highways update report (Item 9) which noted the use of Section 106 money from the Oaklands Hospital site development. 

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge):

     

    (i)    NOTED the contents of the report;

    (ii)   AGREED that the measures set out in paragraph 3.1 of this report be added to the list of possible future highway improvements in Tandridge for prioritisation and consideration for future Local Committee funding;

    (iii)  SUPPORTED the proposal that external funding may be sought for the proposed highway improvements, for example via a bid to Tandridge District Council for  Community Infrastructure Levy funding; as and when CIL is available from local new housing and;

    (iv)AGREED that the Safer Travel Team work with Burstow Primary to take up more of the road safety education and training activities offered by the county council. 

     

134/17

HIGHWAYS SCHEMES 2017/18 UPDATE (SERVICE MONITORING AND ISSUES OF LOCAL CONCERN) pdf icon PDF 179 KB

    This report summarises progress with the Local Committee’s programme of Highways works for the current financial year 2017/18. It also provides information on the major scheme projects and centrally funded maintenance schemes.

     

    (Report and annex attached).

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

    i)              NOTED the contents of this report.

     

    ii)            DELEGATED the virement of the £2500 allocated to the parking review, to the Local Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman, in consultation with the Area Highways Manager.

    Minutes:

     

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Zena Curry, Area Highways Manager 

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Area Highways Manager, advised that as the £2500 allocated within the Highways budget for the parking review was no longer required, as per Item 7, this money could be reallocated to another scheme. 

     

    Members Discussion – Key Points

     

    ·         In order to permit the £2500 allocated to the parking review to be vired to another scheme, the Chairman Mrs Lesley Steeds proposed a new recommendation. This was seconded by Mrs Rose Thorn.

    ·         Mr Chris Botten asked if the crossing on Banstead Road was not feasible that the funding be diverted to consider a crossing on Rook Lane.  The Officer confirmed that the design is nearly complete and should be with the Divisional Member for consideration very shortly.

    ·         It was asked if the Local Committee budget is only for ITS schemes.  The Area Highways Manager confirmed that the Capital funding this year is £36,000, in previous years half would be for LSR such as for resurfacing, however this year all funding is for Capital ITS improvement schemes.

    ·         Mrs Rose Thorn advised that Mr Cameron McIntosh had used his funding for sign cleaning on the A25 and that Mrs Lesley Steeds and herself would be using part of their funding to do the same on the A22. The Officer clarified the Minor Maintenance fund usage, explaining that the £30,000 is divided between the six divisions and can be apportioned to revenue maintenance, eg sign cleaning, cutting back.  This fund is different to the Members Allocation fund which is administered by the Community Partnership team for community groups to apply for.

    ·         Mr David Hodge referred to Farleigh Road/Harrow Road, Warlingham asking to see the design so he could advise his District Councillors.  The Area Highways Manager advised that the design was not back from stage 3 audit but as soon as it is received it would be forwarded on to the Divisional Member.

     

    Resolution

     

    The Local Committee (Tandridge)

     

    i)              NOTED the contents of this report.

     

    ii)            DELEGATED the virement of the £2500 allocated to the parking review, to the Local Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman, in consultation with the Area Highways Manager.

135/17

UPDATE - FLOOD ALLEVIATION SCHEMES IN TANDRIDGE (SERVICE MONITORING AND ISSUES OF LOCAL CONCERN) pdf icon PDF 157 KB

    Tandridge district is at risk of flooding from surface water, ground water and both main and ordinary watercourses.  Flooding often occurs in the winter months but has also occurred during intense rainfall events in the summer periods.  This report focuses on two flood risk management schemes in Tandridge District.

     

    The Local Flood Risk Management Strategy sets out the activities and priority of activities in the strategy’s objectives and can be found on the county council’s website.

     

    (Report and Annex attached).

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Tor Peebles,  Flood Risk Management Strategy and Partnership Team Leader

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Officer highlighted several key areas in the report to the Committee.  He advised the Caterham on the Hill feasibility study is still in draft but would be circulated to Members when available.  The proposal is to reduce the risk of flooding from 186 properties to 50.

     

    Tandridge District Council have requested a catchment study to bring out a suite of maintenance measures and conversations with planners.  This will look to include more robust polices regarding surface water flooding in the local plan.  The two Councils will meet to develop in more detail.

     

    The Officer welcomed Member questions and comments on the report.

     

    Members Discussion – Key Points

    ·         It was asked if there were seven separate options for Caterham or the same one with slight variations, and how can we be reassured that the option is the right one? The Officer advised that the options will not completely solve the issue but it will alleviate the issue to 50 properties and reduce risk.  They may go with 4 of the options, but there is likely to be some gaps.

    ·         Mr Chris Botten and Mr David Hodge requested to see the report and the plans, as would be able to offer historical local knowledge which maybe helpful. 

    ·         It was questioned why there is no reference to Warlingham, Caterham and Whyteleafe and requested an update on these at the next meeting.  It was confirmed  that Cabinet would be looking at how we fund flooding issues at the end of October.  Stressing the importance of preventative methods.  Surrey need to ensure ditches are clear and drains are good enough. Drainage needs to be addressed at the planning stage.

    ·         It was suggested that grey water recovery could be considered with new housing.  The Officer advised that land owners have a duty to keep the watercourses clear.  All authorities have the power to carry out maintenance and SCC have power to enforce.

    ·         There was a discussion around encouraging Tandridge residents to use waterbutts and there was a suggested that TDC do this again through their magazine.

    ·         It was requested that the Committee have a report/updated list on the wetspots in Tandridge and how they are maintained.  It was confirmed that this would be added to a future meeting and the list would be circulated to Members.

    ·         The Chair thanked the Officer for attending and thanked his team for their work on flooding.

136/17

ANNUAL PERFORMANCE REPORT 2016/17 - SURREY FIRE AND RESCUE (SERVICE MONITORING AND ISSUES OF LOCAL CONCERN) pdf icon PDF 106 KB

    This report outlines the major strands of activity undertaken within the Tandridge area by the Surrey Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) teams based at Lingfield Godstone and Oxted Fire Stations during 2016 – 17.

     

    It contains information on the various activities undertaken by the District team to reduce the risk from fire, water and road traffic incidents to the residents of Tandridge District, including direct contact, public education programmes and campaigns. Relevant County wide activity is also included.

     

    (Report and Annex attached).

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Stuart De Fraine Ford, Assistant Group Commander 

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Officer presented the report highlighting several key points. Since submitting the report for the agenda the national co-responding trial has been put on hold.

     

    In reference to the statistics on vehicle fires, the Assistant Group Commander noted a recent arrest, since this, the number of vehicle fires has reduced.

     

    SFRS achieve 70% of critical calls within the target response time.  Reasons for not meeting this target are predominately due to the location of the stations to reach all areas of the District and the closure of the A22 which affected Godstone Station. The Officer reiterated that no fire station has closed in Tandridge. However due to location of the population, fire stations are in more urban areas.  There have been difficulties in reaching the north corner, such as Warlingham, however the London Fire Brigade are able to assist sending crews from Biggin Hill or Purley Stations.

     

    Members Discussion – Key Points

     

    ·         Members of the Committee thanked the Officer and the Fire and Rescue service for all the work they do, they are a credit to Surrey.  Concerns were raised in relation to the Fire and Rescue Service transferring to the Police as it might not be right for residents. 

    ·         It was asked if the Officer was aware of any buildings in the District where there may be a fire risk, for example cladding on the building and can Surrey Fire and Rescue Service carry out a fire risk assessment on District buildings? The Officer advised that it is the responsibility of the building owner to carry out the necessary building checks to ensure it meets the regulations.  However after the Grenfell fire in June 2017 the CEO at Surrey requested that the Fire Service visited any high rise buildings to inspect and offer advice.  The Officer confirmed that no serious issues have arisen to date in Surrey. The Officer advised that the District should liaise with the owners on the risk assessments.  SFRS do have a Risk Manager who can provide advice where necessary.

    ·         Members expressed their disappointed to hear that the co-response trial had closed as saw the benefits for residents.  The Committee raised concerns about the current funding and cuts since 2014 and assured the Officer that Members would try to get fairer funding for Surrey.

    ·         The importance of building owners and management committees ensuring the fire risk assessments are completed and up to date was raised, as failure to do so would mean invalidating buildings insurance.

    ·         Mr David Hodge wished to add how SCC have made investments to the Fire and Rescue Service.  The Fire and Rescue Service attend more Road Traffic Incidents than fires so investment has been made in vehicles and equipment to assist firefighters.  During the Grenfell fire, SFRS were on the scene in 32 minutes and had the necessary equipment to assist, which appliances from other areas did not have to support the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 136/17

137/17

DECISION TRACKER (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 284 KB

    This document provides an update on progress on issues arising from public questions and petitions.

     

    (Report attached).

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Sarah Woodworth, Partnership Committee Officer

     

    Petition, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    The Chairman introduced the item explaining that this would be a public document that would track actions agreed by the Committee which would not be captured in recommendations of reports.  For example actions arising from petitions or public questions.

     

    Members Discussion – Key Points

     

    • Cllr Fisher referred to the public question from the meeting on the 11 December 2015 regarding the request for a crossing on Banstead road near Le Personne.  He advised the Chair of Trustees had not been consulted to date.  The Area Highways Manager advised that she would contact the Chair of Trustees.