Agenda, decisions and minutes

Waverley Local Committee
Friday, 22 March 2019 10.00 am

Venue: Waverley Council Chamber, The Burys, Godalming GU7 1HR

Contact: Yvette Ortel, Partnership Committee Officer  Waverley Borough Council offices, The Burys, Godalming, Surrey GU7 1HR

Link: Click here for the Webcast

Items
No. Item

OPEN FORUM - INFORMAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 212 KB

Questions and responses from the informal open forum session are attached as Annex A.

 

1/19

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

2/19

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 123 KB

3/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)            Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)           Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    ·         Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest

    ·         As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

    Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial

    Minutes:

    There were no declarations of interest.

4/19

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

5/19

PETITIONS & PETITION RESPONSES pdf icon PDF 232 KB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68.  Notice must be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting.  Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    A petition has been received from Mr Paul Osborne which contains 250 signatures and reads:

     

    Ratruns: We the undersigned petition Surrey County Council to re-assess the traffic impact on the rural rat-run from Station Lane Milford to Markwick Lane Loxhill, and request a 7.5 tonne HGV restriction is applied to prevent HGV use, and ensure housing developers have enforced construction traffic management schemes in place to prevent construction vehicles using such unsuitable rural routes.

    Residents of Milford, Hambledon, Enton and Loxhill have concerns about the exponential growth of traffic using the West-East rural route from the A3 at Milford to the A281 at Cranleigh – the unclassified rural route Station Lane – Salt Lane - Markwick Lane. This road has in excess of 3000 vehicles per day using it. It is unsuitable for such volumes - it is a poorly maintained 8 mile rural road, single track in places, with blind corners – it is unsuitable for such vehicle numbers, and is dangerous. It’s designated "Unsuitable for HGVs" but signs are ignored by short-cut HGV traffic to building sites to the East.  At peak, 45% of vehicles are commercial.

    Surrey CC Highways have ignored the cumulative impact of extra traffic generated on this route by construction traffic from 3000 new homes being built now in the Cranleigh area, and proposed at Dunsfold Park, and Milford Golf Course. If Cranleigh tip closes it will create an extra 15% of traffic using this direct route to Witley tip.

    This East-West route will suffer a severe environmental and safety impact. This needs to be addressed urgently.”

     

    Petition response report attached.

    Decision:

    A petition has been received from Mr Paul Osborne which contains 250 signatures and reads:

     

    Ratruns:  We the undersigned petition Surrey County Council to re-assess the traffic impact on the rural rat-run from Station Lane Milford to Markwick Lane Loxhill, and request a 7.5 tonne HGV restriction is applied to prevent HGV use, and ensure housing developers have enforced construction traffic management schemes in place to prevent construction vehicles using such unsuitable rural routes.”

     

    The Local Committee (Waverley) resolved to AGREE to:

     

    (i)            Note the Officer comments.

    (ii)           Consider the merits of such a proposal for inclusion in the 2019/20 Highway Works Programme.

    (iii)         Invite the SCC portfolio holder for Highways to attend the Waverley Local Committee at the first available opportunity, to discuss the issue of ‘rat runs’ on rural roads.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None.

     

    Officer in attendance: Frank Apicella, Area Highway Manager (South West).

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: One petition.

     

    A petition was received from Mr Paul Osborne which contained 250 signatures and read:

     

    Ratruns:  We the undersigned petition Surrey County Council to re-assess the traffic impact on the rural rat-run from Station Lane Milford to Markwick Lane Loxhill, and request a 7.5 tonne HGV restriction is applied to prevent HGV use, and ensure housing developers have enforced construction traffic management schemes in place to prevent construction vehicles using such unsuitable rural routes.”

     

    The petitioner presented the petition in the allowed 3 minutes.  He also provided the Committee with photographs.  Prior to the meeting, the petitioner had made a video to demonstrate the petition request, which was circulated to the Local Committee members.

     

    Member discussion key points:

     

    The Area Highway Manager responded to the petition, outlining the response report.

     

    Members commented on the effectiveness of the video, which they felt demonstrated the issues.  Those members who use the highlighted roads, empathized with the petitioner.  Some members expressed their support for the petition.  The discussion also included comments regarding a series of rural roads east/west in Waverley, many of which lead to Guildford and are heavily used.  There are two main issues: enforcement and displacement.  If action is taken in one location, traffic will move to another location that has equally difficult driving conditions.  Therefore, some members felt that all roads need to be considered before any action is taken.

     

    The Chairman invited the Waverley Borough Police Commander to comment.  He agreed with members’ views that you cannot look at any single road in isolation.  Whilst he sympathized with the issue and had personal experience of the mentioned roads, police priorities lie with road safety and accident rates.

     

    The Chairman thanked the petitioner for his video and invited him to make any further comments.  The petitioner said that blue signs are not enforced so he would like a deterrent, i.e. red signs to deter HGVs and LGVs.

     

    Members requested that the SCC portfolio holder for Highways be invited to the Waverley Local Committee to discuss rural rat runs.  Proposed: Mr Peter Martin.  Seconded: Mr David Harmer.  The Chairman proposed that an item come to a future Local Committee and all members agreed.  A new recommendation (iii) was agreed.

     

    Mr Harmer made a comment that he stated was a constitutional comment for the benefit of the public present: there was a need to consult with the SCC portfolio holder for Highways in order to gain his support and agreement, so that any action can be ‘signed off’.

     

    The Local Committee (Waverley) resolved to AGREE to:

     

    (i)            Note the Officer comments.

    (ii)           Consider the merits of such a proposal for inclusion in the 2019/20 Highway Works Programme.

    (iii)         Invite the SCC portfolio holder for Highways to attend the Waverley Local Committee at the first available opportunity, to discuss the issue of ‘rat runs’ on rural roads.

6/19

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 101 KB

    To answer any questions from residents or businesses within the Waverley Borough area in accordance with Standing Order 69.  Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer by 12 noon four working days before the meeting.

     

    Minutes:

    Six Written Public Questions were received from Waverley Borough and Farnham Town Councillor David Beaman; Waverley Borough and Godalming Town Councillors Andrew Bolton and Paul Follows; Stewart Edge.

     

    The questions and answers were published on the SCC Waverley Local Committee web pages before the 22 March Local Committee and were available at the meeting.

     

    Question 1 – Supplementary Question

    Cllr Beaman asked: “Do we have to wait for an accident to happen before any action is taken?  Can there be some sort of risk analysis?”

     

    Response to supplementary question:

    The Chairman replied that Farnham as a whole needs to be looked at, not any one area in isolation.  The Area Highway Manager added that they would not want to do works that would have to be removed at a later date.  Any works are likely to be at the tail-end of the Brightwells development.

     

    Members’ comments included that some developer funding was intended for a crossing; others agreed that all roads needed to be looked at as a whole.

     

    Question 2 – Supplementary Question

    Cllr Beaman asked: “Regarding the meeting with Network Rail and South Western Railway, will there be any local representatives at this meeting, as there does not appear to be any local input?”

     

    Response to supplementary question:

    The Chairman said that as the SCC officer concerned was not present at the meeting, she would seek a written response from the officer for Cllr Beaman.

     

    Question 3 – Supplementary Question

    Cllr Bolton asked: “ I have noticed that the road near Charterhouse will be closed from 1 – 5 April.  Will there be diversion signs?”

     

    Response to supplementary question:

    The Area Highway Manager confirmed that there would be a signed diversion route.

     

    Question 4 – Supplementary Question

    Mr Edge asked: “Can we have assurance that what the declined petition asked for, i.e. traffic lights, a crossing and a mini roundabout, will be included in the scope?”

     

    Response to supplementary question:

    Cllr Hyman stated that he was still trying to obtain a copy of the town model.  Cllr Frost said that she was involved in town modelling some years ago but does not know where the model is now located, but SCC Highways should know.

    Mr David Harmer said that this was not a Highways matter.  The officer who supplied the written answer is a planner and it is not in the remit of this committee to consider planning matters.

    The Chairman thanked members for their comments and said that she would ask the Area Highway Manager to seek clarification regarding the town model.

     

    Question 5 – Supplementary Question

    Cllr Follows asked: “When will the SCC parking engineer next be working in Waverley?

     

    Response to supplementary question:

    The Chairman said that as the SCC officer concerned was not present at the meeting, she would seek a written response from the officer for Cllr Follows.

     

    Question 6 – Supplementary Question

    Regarding communication to parents and staff, Cllr Follows asked: “Will SCC officers commit to make contact as  ...  view the full minutes text for item 6/19

7/19

WRITTEN MEMBER QUESTIONS

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47.  The deadline for members’ questions is 12 noon four working days before the meeting.  Notice should be given by email to the Partnership Committee Officer.

     

    Minutes:

    There were no members questions submitted to this committee.

     

8/19

OVERVIEW OF POLICING IN WAVERLEY (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 113 KB

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None.

     

    Officer in attendance: Inspector Gary Smith, Waverley Borough Commander, Surrey Police.

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None.

     

    Member discussion key points:

     

    The Borough Commander expanded on his written report to the Local Committee.

     

    There will be more police officers recruited in Surrey but final numbers have yet to be confirmed.  The Commander would like a dedicated officer for each of the main areas in Waverley.  It will take about one year for their training to be completed.  The number of Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) may also be increased.

     

    The Commander said that there had been an increase in community interaction during the past year and although he cannot promise to attend all local events, police officers will attend when possible; invites should be sent via the Borough Commander.  There has been an increase in social media interaction and they have been working with local social media groups.

     

    There have been less traveller incursions in Waverley during the past year and the police have been working to deal with issues as soon as possible and to move people on.  The Commander would like a transit site located in Waverley, similar to a successful site in Sussex.

     

    Regarding anti-social behaviour, he said that Ockford Ridge has the most concentrated area of anti-social behaviour in Waverley.

     

    There was a request that members be sent a simple definition of Waverley crime statistics (reference: Item 8, section 3, page 21 of the agenda pack).  The Commander said that he would circulate this.

     

    Acknowledgement was given by members that communities have to be pro-active to get the police involved in local issues, especially as local PCSOs are no longer as visible.  Members thanked the Borough Commander and his staff for their help and support on issues and stated that residents were grateful.

     

    The Chairman thanked the Commander for his report and for attending the meeting on his rest day.

9/19

HIGHWAYS UPDATE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION) pdf icon PDF 417 KB

    To receive an update from the Area Highway Manager (South West).

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Waverley) resolved to AGREE:

     

    (i)    To note the committee approved allocations and works progressed during 2018/19.

     

    (ii)   To note the committee devolved budget allocation for 2019/20.

     

    (iii)  To agree the recommendations made in this report for utilising the available highways budget for 2019/20. (Paragraph 2.2.2 & 2.2.5 refers.)

     

    (iv) To delegate to the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice Chairman and Divisional Member, the ability to resolve any problems encountered to facilitate scheme delivery throughout the year.

     

    Reason: The committee is asked to agree the recommendations to enable progression of works orders and expenditure of the Committee budget during 2019/20.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None.

     

    Officer in attendance: Frank Apicella, Area Highway Manager (South West).

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None.

     

    Member discussion key points:

     

    The Area Highway Manager highlighted paragraph 2.1.9 in his report – capital maintenance allocation has been divided between the 11 local and joint committees in a different way.  He also brought annexes to the attention of members, saying that Section 106 monies were not available funds, but were pre-promised amounts that depend on developments going ahead.

     

    Members said they would follow up with Transport Development Planners regarding the Section 106 figures.  Mr Stephen Spence queried an amount of £50,000 for a Folly Hill development in Farnham, as it was missing from the list.  The Area Highway Manager will follow this up.  Mr Spence also queried the process for planting trees in South Avenue, using his funding allocation.  The officer replied that they are working with Farnham Town Council regarding planting trees in Farnham.

     

    There was a query regarding paragraphs 2.1.11 and 2.1.12 and the figure of 15% top slice from the parking surplus.  The officer replied that this was agreed at the September 2017 Local Committee.  Cllr Pat Frost stated that she did not want this at the time and she did not think it is fair, when Farnham is the only area that installed parking meters to generate income.  Some members agreed, while some members said that closer examination of the figures show that it is fair and that the Area Highway Manager could explain further, if required.

     

    The Chairman asked for a vote, to decide if the arrangements regarding the parking surplus should stand as they are currently set out.  Result: 12 for; 4 against; 0 abstentions.  Therefore, the Chairman announced that the current parking surplus arrangements will stand.

     

    Cllr Jerry Hyman pointed out a correction: paragraph 2.4.2 should say 2019-20, not 2018-19.  Noted.

     

    There were queries regarding building developments, planning conditions and Section 106 monies.  The Chairman said that as these were planning matters, it was not for the Local Committee to discuss.  SCC planners give advice to Waverley Borough Council, but planning decisions were not made by SCC.

     

    The Local Committee (Waverley) resolved to AGREE:

     

    (i)    To note the committee approved allocations and works progressed during 2018/19.

     

    (ii)   To note the committee devolved budget allocation for 2019/20.

     

    (iii)  To agree the recommendations made in this report for utilising the available highways budget for 2019/20. (Paragraph 2.2.2 & 2.2.5 refers.)

     

    (iv) To delegate to the Area Highway Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice Chairman and Divisional Member, the ability to resolve any problems encountered to facilitate scheme delivery throughout the year.

     

    Reason: The committee is asked to agree the recommendations to enable progression of works orders and expenditure of the Committee budget during 2019/20.

     

10/19

A287 HINDHEAD ROAD SPEED LIMIT REDUCTION (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION) pdf icon PDF 309 KB

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Local Committee (Waverley) resolved to AGREE that:

     

    (i)    The speed limit be reduced from 50mph to 40mph on that section of the A287 Hindhead Road as shown on Annex 1.

     

    (ii)   The Committee is asked to formally agree the recommendation (i) above in order to progress the programme of work for 2018/2019.

     

    Reason: Recommendations have been made based upon existing policy, in consultation with Surrey Police and Surrey County Council’s Road Safety Working Group.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None.

     

    Officer in attendance: Duncan Knox, SCC Road Safety and Active Travel Team Manager.

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None.

     

    Member discussion key points:

     

    The members all agreed with the report and the recommendations.

     

    The Local Committee (Waverley) resolved to AGREE that:

     

    (i)    The speed limit be reduced from 50mph to 40mph on that section of the A287 Hindhead Road as shown on Annex 1.

     

    (ii)   The Committee is asked to formally agree the recommendation (i) above in order to progress the programme of work for 2018/2019.

     

    Reason: Recommendations have been made based upon existing policy, in consultation with Surrey Police and Surrey County Council’s Road Safety Working Group.

11/19

LOCAL COMMITTEE DECISION TRACKER (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 158 KB

    To review any outstanding Local Committee decisions.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer in attendance: Yvette Ortel, Partnership Committee Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None.

     

    Member discussion key points:

     

    There were no comments from members.

12/19

LOCAL COMMITTEE FORWARD PROGRAMME 2019-20 (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 71 KB

    To note the proposed forward programme and consider any additional items for future discussion.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer in attendance: Yvette Ortel, Partnership Committee Officer

     

    Petitions, Public Questions/Statements: None.

     

    Member discussion key points:

     

    The forward programme was agreed.

     

    There was discussion regarding SCC Highway planners attending a future meeting to discuss their policies.  However, the Chairman confirmed that this is not a forum for planning and that the Local Committee does not have jurisdiction regarding planning and therefore this would not be appropriate.

     

    Suggested for a future Formal agenda:

     

    ·         Invite the SCC portfolio holder for Highways at the first available opportunity, to discuss ‘rat runs’ on rural roads.

     

    For a Local Committee Members’ Informal meeting:

     

    ·         Waverley Local Committee moving to a Joint Committee – background information, including how the two differ.

     

13/19

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

    To be held on Friday 28 June at 10am in Waverley Council Chamber, The Burys, Godalming GU7 1HR.

     

    (10am – 10.30am: Open Forum / Informal Public Question Time)

     

    Minutes:

    To be held on Friday 28th June 2019 at 10am in the Waverley Borough Council Chamber, The Burys, Godalming GU7 1HR.

     

    (10am – 10.30am: Open Public Questions Forum)